Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Re-installing the Sims 3 again, I really dont like the Sims 4

kiara07kiara07 Posts: 575 Member
Like 3 months ago or so I unistalled the Sims 3 because I got annoyed with the game freezing and then me having to exit the game by force without saving, on that day in specific I had error 12 which I hadnt had in years so that was the last straw. I thought ok I will unistal the sims 3 and play the sims 4 until May when I will get my sims 3 CDs again. That will force to play the sims 4 and make my money worth, since I bought a few expansions and game packs and even a stuff pack. Well that didnt work, this time I managed to reach generation 3 in the sims 4 which is a miracle (in the sims 3 I have a save on generation 14 and still going, I saved the saves before unistalling) but I still dont like the sims 4. The game has a few good things I cant deny but I just can get attached to the sims for some reason. But I think its the lack of open world that kills it for me. I bought get to work ep to open a business and I dont even have the will to try it and I also didnt even try the careers, and I have the cats and dogs ep and I also havent tried being a vet.

So basically ever since I unistalled Sims 3 I have been suffering from withdrawal and instead of playing the sims 4 in my spare time, I have been watching sims 3 current households and worlds overviews on youtube. Now as I speak I am installing the sims 3 again, turns out its on my Origin account for some reason. The only disadvantage is I will be playing with the 1.69 update. Anyway it wont be for long, my boyfriend is gonna build me a desktop maybe in April, and I am gonna ask my brother to send me the sims 3 cds by post, so I just need to get used to play with the 1.69 until everything goes back to normal. I cant believe I can play sims 3 again. I have been downloading mods during this time so I am excited to try them out :D

Comments

• SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    I moved back from TS4 to TS3 a few months ago. I like TS4 just fine, although it has never gotten close to matching TS3 for me. But I put TS4 on indefinite pause because of some major bugs that were introduced around the time of the Eco expansion, and haven't yet been fixed. I'll probably move back to it when/if those bugs are corrected. Or maybe not -- I forgot how much fundamental stuff from TS3 has never made its way into TS4.
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    I can totally relate.
    I have both sims 3 & 4.
    Sims 4 is cute, sometimes I take a break from sims 3, usually because of technical issues, and I give sims 4 a try. But I don't have any long continuous save in sims 4, and my game sessions are not long.
    But then returning to sims 3 :smiley: It feels like home. The game is so rich, and I have million ideas and I'm emotionally attached to my simmies. :smiley:
  • nonyabusnesnonyabusnes Posts: 52 Member
    I bought sims 4 cause it was on steam sale, but I see so many of these discussions and topics everywhere that I don't want to start S4.
    I also saw a lot of things have changed and aren't there anymore. Nah, maybe if I ever buy a new computer I'll install it to check it out but I'm ok with S3.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    Never left Sims 3. :D Saw Sims 4 on sale for $4.99.
    the-sims-4-cover.jpg
    Went and got...
    Walmart_3for5Pepsi.png
    instead... :mrgreen:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • KkffooKkffoo Posts: 51 Member
    Never left Sims 3. :D Saw Sims 4 on sale for $4.99.
    the-sims-4-cover.jpg
    Went and got...
    Walmart_3for5Pepsi.png
    instead... :mrgreen:

Dear moderators, this forum needs a hearty chuckle response :)
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    @Nikkei_Simmer , good choice, you get way more use + enjoyment out of the Pepsi. Tasty & quenches thirst.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    @Nikkei_Simmer , good choice, you get way more use + enjoyment out of the Pepsi. Tasty & quenches thirst.
    ,,,and on top of that, @Pary, you get your bottle deposit back. :D Win-win.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I made the mistake of getting Sims 4 back in 2014 because I so got sick & tired of the lagging & freezing of my beloved Sims 3. I even had to uninstall about half my Sims 3 packs just to be able to keep playing it & my daughter gave the game away to a friend because we were just fed up with it. Unfortunately, I got a little giddy when Sims 4 first came out. If I knew then what I know now, I would've waited until the game was at least 5 years old.
    So back in 2018, I got the Sims 3 Starter Pack in Origin & Googled which pack to avoid. Now, I have my Late Night, Supernatural, Showtime, Generations & World Adventure back. It doesn't lag or freeze anymore.
    I do play both Sims 4 & Sims 3 to give me perspective. I still love my Bridgeport, Moonlight Falls, Fairies/Genies/Werewolves, Color Wheel, Cars, Playable Babies, Heartshape Bed & Spiral Stairs in Sims 3. I love my Windenburge, Forgotten Hollow,
    Sulani Island, Glimmerbrooke & Mt. K Worlds. As well as, Aliens/Bonehilda/Guidry the Ghost/Mermaids/Spellcasters/Vampires.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I made the mistake of getting Sims 4 back in 2014 because I so got sick & tired of the lagging & freezing of my beloved Sims 3. I even had to uninstall about half my Sims 3 packs just to be able to keep playing it & my daughter gave the game away to a friend because we were just fed up with it. Unfortunately, I got a little giddy when Sims 4 first came out. If I knew then what I know now, I would've waited until the game was at least 5 years old.

My story is very similar. But recently i haven't been able to go back to sims 3 and enjoy it as before. I really loved that game but somehow 4 has made me learn new ways of playing and i'm having more fun now than i had ever since 2000...
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,745 Member
    Sims 4 has some great ideias implemented and I still hate how people put down the previous games because "the sims are uglier than S4" or "it's too clunky". I hope you manage to fix your sims 3 and avoid lags. I changed several things in my desktop and, unfortunately, I've had a problem or two once in a while. Basically, I can't throw a costume party or a girft-giving one that my game shuts without warning.

Regarding open world, I do think the developers didn't do their homework right. There's a game called Fable that has small worlds just like S4. However, once you are in the neighborhoods, you have total freedom. I think it's one thing that S4 could have used -it's ridiculous to be at the door of your neighbor and have a loading screen to interact with them! Also, cars could have been implemented in a cute way, with a proper animation of sims entering it and driving to the edge of the map... For instance, there are several items in the store that I rarely use because of lack of animations such as the merry-go-round and the tractor.

I really can't get enough of my sims 3 for two reasons: 1- I put a lot of money in it (it WAS/IS really expensive), 2- I'm attached to my sims, it's where they live and exist. If they had created S4 with a tool to import sims from S3 (at least), I would have totally played it more.
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    I had stopped playing any TS game for several years, then decided to pick up TS4 on sale last year. I enjoyed it enough that I bought every pack up until the time it almost completely bugged out again, with the pre-Eco Living patch. So I took a hiatus from TS4, and re-installed TS3 about 6-8 months ago, and enjoyed it enough that I bought all the packs for it, to replace my old (now lost) CD versions.

Most of the really bad TS4 bugs seem to now be fixed (again), so last week I did a fresh install of TS4, and started playing it again. And I just can't get interested in it again. Moving directly from a complete version of TS3 to a mostly equivalently complete version of TS4 feels like a backwards step in nearly every way. The game is just so limiting by comparison. It was a claustrophobic experience. TS3 is a significantly more fully realized gaming experience.

So, I'm back to my TS3 saves.
  • VexingQueryVexingQuery Posts: 2,180 Member
    I will admit I've never once played Sims 4. Not having Create A Style was an instant dealbreaker. I put way too much love into getting my builds looking just so to give up the ability to retexture everything. Nope.
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    edited April 2021
    I actually got TS4 for free on Origin but for the longest time it just sat there since I had no inspiration to try it out. Yesterday I was hit by a sudden sims-mood and finally did. Well, I already feel bored with it. Granted, it's just the base game but previous tittles in the series managed to keep me interested far longer without any Eps so this should be no different. While it runs WAY better than TS3 and I like its' visuals, there's just something so... "constricting" about it, I don't know how to describe it. Like, the world feels so small and I have no incentives to go anywhere so I'm just going through the motions whereas in TS3 the world was open so you could seamlessly do tons of stuff or even just observe your neighbors. Also, the Sims themselves feel far more generic in their behavior because the emotions system overwhelms everything, even their traits. I hardly notice any differences between the behavior of my two sims... except some random moodlets, whoop-de-freakin'-doo. If anything the system makes them all feel equally bipolar since the emotions switch around so rapidly. I guess I'd need to experiment more but, for now, I'm not exactly feeling motivated so it's back to TS3. Someday I might bother to get TS4 some new content but I'm debating it because it's not exactly a good sign how quickly the basegame bored me so it might end up a waste.

I feel like the "hook" is missing. TS1 was the first of its' kind so it was enough of a hook, for TS2 it was the aging system (+ other improvements), for TS3 it was the open world (+ traits), for TS4 it's... ????. Well, I guess performance could be a selling point since the optimization of TS3 is pretty horrendous and forced me to use mods but that's not an actual hook. You don't play a game just because it runs well. You need something to draw you in.
    Post edited by Thrior on
  • DannyJames20DannyJames20 Posts: 2 New Member
    I love the sims 3 - I have all TS4 expansions but find myself getting fed up with how the game works it just never felt like the previous instalments, sure it has some great features but for me it just feels so hollow and empty. I started to play TS3 again a few months ago and i only had the base game and late night (I didn't play TS3 much as it never ran well enough) And it was really bad but i looked on YouTube for guides to make it run better and add new default skins so my sims look better and i have not looked back since, the game runs flawlessly (I do have a gaming PC) and i have had no lag issues or crashed in my save for about 4 months.

If you want to go back to TS3 just get performance mods and default skin replacements also lighting mods and to be it is now 1000% better than TS4. I will wait not for TS5.

Hope this can help anyone considering playing TS3 again! :smiley:
  • BrietishaBrietisha Posts: 5 New Member
    Can I get an Amen?!

Yes, finally, now I know I'm not crazy! I stupidly deleted my sims 3 game a couple weeks ago. it had been years since I played it, mainly due to life, but I decided to give TS4 a try. I have all the expansions, stuff packs, etc. You name it, I have it (except the dust thing, cause too many people are complaining about it for me to invest atm). Don't get me wrong, I adore the style. I love that I can simply click the body parts I want to adjust and move the mouse around, I love the cartoonish-clay look of the sims. Sadly, I never play with pets... never felt the need to. TS3 horses was my world. Without the horses I don't see the point.

I have found myself drawn back to my sims 3. Sadly I have to re-download all my mods, but it's been a nice cut back from the massive mods folder I previously had.

I just CANNOT connect or get invested with TS4 sims. They are not relatable, they style is not my style. Plus, the customization is NOTHING compared to TS3. Such a shame how the mighty have fallen. I told myself I would never buy or support TS4. Sadly, I broke and I did. It was a good time, but I just can't get connected with them no matter how long I play. The connection is just not there like how it used to be in the sims 3.

So, long story short: I'm going back to TS3. I'm home again!
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    I got a refillable PayPal card the other day and have been snatching up packs left and right. I added two stuff packs to sims 3- as well as some store content- and just finished installing another sims 3 store set I can finally have. LOL!
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    i liked the sims 3, and i've been playing the sims 4 as well. my favorite is Ts2, however, i used to play the sims 3 and it was super buggy. very annoying. also.. not to but origin is also annoying.
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I'm on a break from the Sims 4. I'm not very experienced with the Sims 3 but lately I have been wanting to play it more than I have the Sims 4. I have nothing against the Sims 4 mine you, I'm just burned out on it.

Is it okay to ask which packs cause lag in the Sims 3? Or is that an old issue?
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2021
    Sharonia wrote: »

It's not so much that this pack causes lag while that pack doesn't, it's that they each have a different potential impact on game performance because some of them are much heavier to run than others. How much of a difference this makes depends on your hardware set. We would need to know what the specs are on computer(s) you are playing on to be able to say how well a few or all 11 EPs together might be expected to run for you.

The heaviest EPs are, in order, Pets (by far), Seasons, IP, ITF. The lightest ones are probably WA, Ambitions, Generations, with the others being somewhere in between. The Stuff Packs add almost no measurable overhead.

IP gets a bad rap in this regard because, although it's around #3 in the weight that it adds to any game where it is present, it also comes with the Isla Paradiso world that is flawed and needs some fixing up before it becomes properly playable.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited April 2021
    igazor wrote: »

It's not so much that this pack causes lag while that pack doesn't, it's that they each have a different potential impact on game performance because some of them are much heavier to run than others. How much of a difference this makes depends on your hardware set. We would need to know what the specs are on computer(s) you are playing on to be able to say how well a few or all 11 EPs together might be expected to run for you.

The heaviest EPs are, in order, Pets (by far), Seasons, IP, ITF. The lightest ones are probably WA, Ambitions, Generations, with the others being somewhere in between. The Stuff Packs add almost no measurable overhead.

IP gets a bad rap in this regard because, although it's around #3 in the weight that it adds to any game where it is present, it also comes with the Isla Paradiso world that is flawed and needs some fixing up before it becomes properly playable.

Thank you so much for your reply. I’m planning to get a new PC soon. This has been really helpful. I’m not sure my current PC can handle all the packs or maybe it can. I like to try keep my game running smooth.

This has help me decide which ones I will maybe avoid installing until I get a new PC.
    Post edited by Sharonia on
    edited April 2021
    igazor wrote: »

Thank you so much for your reply. I’m planning to get a new PC soon. This has been really helpful. I’m not sure my current PC can handle all the packs or maybe it can. I like to try keep my game running smooth.

This has help me decide which ones I will maybe avoid installing until I get a new PC.

@Sharonia i have bought a gaming laptop a few months ago. I bought it to play 4, cause my game was already lagging in my old laptop. A few days ago i've decided to re-install sims 3 just to see if it would be different from last time. And it is! I have all eps and stuff packs and a few store items and worlds. The game is super smooth. Yesterday i played from 11am to 11pm with no flaws or performance issues :) I did followed the steam sims 3 performance guide before i started playing. But after setting it, it runs wonderfully. I dare to say it runs better than 4, now that 4 is having so much simulation lag and action queues that disapear...
    My laptop is a lenovo legion 5, with amd ryzen 7, 16gb ram and nvidia gtx 1650 ti.
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    edited April 2021
    @Sharonia - Once you have your system set up you could also take a look at this guide to improve performance. I found there to be really good information and tips which help with game performance. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1131162350. Remember to take backups before tweaking the files though.
    Even if your game seems to be running well I'd personally recommend using some Nraas mods like Overwatch and Errortrap (+ MasterController). I just feel like they help with overall game health (and MasterController is my personal favorite) but each to their own.

I have a rig which, in theory, is more than capable of running TS3 but I still experienced lag due to poor optimization of the game and the amount of custom content. (From EPs I have Late Night, Seasons, Ambitions, University and Generations.) CAS especially lagged a lot but Nraas Master Controller setting for "compact view" does some wonders.
    Post edited by Thrior on
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    I occasionally post about issues I'm having with my game but my issues are caused by my play style. I have extremely overstuffed households (20+ Sims in a household) plus all Expansion and Stuff packs plus all store content plus about 4 GB of mods and custom content.

One thing that helps greatly is to keep inventories as empty as possible. Sims can collect a lot of stuff during game play and after a few play sessions it is a good idea to go through their inventories and remove what they don't need to carry around with them all the time.
  • Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,101 Member
    I just came back to the sims 3 about a week ago. I have tried and tried to have fun with sims 4, and while I prefer some things about it, I found myself not playing as much as being on here or doing other things with the game running in the background. I left three because of the loading time issues, but I forgot how fun the game play is. I am loving the personality of the townies. They are a real hoot at times.
    edited April 2021
    I have been playing for the latest weeks, 2 or 3, i can't tell... i'm loving it. I haven't played sims 4 since and i will only play it if sims 3 starts to lag. So far, there's no lag at all. It's an incredible game!