Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Packs and Patches Too Often?

Comments

• AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    I know I'm probably the only crazy person who feels this way, but sometimes the frequency of packs and patches feel like they just happen way too often. Is it because we have all 3 types of packs and something new usually comes out about every 3 months? Plus patches typically happen every month?

Don't get me wrong, I love getting new content and bug fixes are always welcome! I typically start a fresh TS4 folder whenever a new pack or patch comes out and it takes me a long time to get back into the story I was playing because I'm checking out the "new" stuff in a new save, and my old saves get pushed aside. But, I feel like I get my game exactly how I want it again, and then BLAM! a new pack or new patch gets released and I have to start the whole process all over again.

I also use mods too (to either remove/tone down things I feel are too strong, or to fix things that I don't like about the game) so then I'm always waiting for these to update and I feel like I just get everything back to how I want it and then have to do it all over again in another month.

I just don't remember feeling this way about the other games. Maybe cause the packs were released only a few times a year and patches didn't happen every month.

Sounds like you and I share the same OCD trait.... the need to create a fresh new save file to test out each new pack (vanilla). And then, of course, end up getting lost in your new save, neglecting to get back to the old ones for a while. Yup, I hear ya. I've yet to get back to my Snowy Escape save and get back to working on all my pet projects I had going on in that one and my poor neglected simmies... and my Eco save... and my Batuu save... and my Island Living save... etc etc. *heavy sigh*

Right now my Paranormal save file is getting all the attention. Until the next pack comes out in a few weeks. :D

But don't feel too bad. Just imagine what it must be like for all those mod creators and the creator of Sims4Studio (Andrew), what a nightmare for those poor buggers. Eek! I sometimes wonder if any of them ever regret getting into Sims 4 mod creation because most of that mod stuff needs to be fixed/updated with just about every new patch and new pack that comes out.
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    It is too often hence the degrading quality
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I guess if your interested in every thing that has been coming out it might seem fast but the quality of these packs it shows they are rushed without much thought put into them
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    the only thing that is bothering is with every patch/pack come new bugs which then need a patch and packs come out before all previous bugs are fixed....it is an endless cycle.
    Now I love new content but sometimes I wish they'd pause the pack releases for a while until they fixed at least most of the bugs and also take more time to test new content thoroughly before releasing it.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,381 Member
    edited February 2021
    I'm a vanilla player, so I like new packs and patches. The only thing that's recently bothered me about them is that I can't repair my game anymore after every patch like I used to do. It lasts forever and gets stuck on Origin every time.
    I'd be completely okay if Sims 4 would be finished already, because the game has already everything I need, but as long as it still gets new content it's always exciting. I'm afraid my laptop will give up with Sims 4 before the game is finished, though.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited February 2021
    Normally I would agree that the packs are coming to often but since the Sims 4 is over six years old now and still feels quite lacking in some areas content wise I think the frequency of pack releases is needed in order to keep the game interesting.

Patches don't come often enough. Bugs are left unfixed for far to long to the point it's actually frustrating.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I feel that the last two packs, Snowy Escape and Paranormal have had too little time between them myself but that could be because Paranormal feels more like a game pack than Stuff packs do normally. It'll feel even more rushed if the 25th February patch and extras is a large one.

I'm not playing so often so maybe that's why. I haven't played with Snowy Escape enough yet but bought Paranormal and playing that more.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I am in total agreement with you @Chicklet453681. Having to update every month is a total mess. Getting a new pack every few months is fine, but I don't buy those packs on release day because I know there will be problems, and wait until there are mods that fix those problems. I also stopped paying full price for any pack and prefer to purchase them during a sale. I envy those Simmers that can play the game without mods or CC, but I can't do it. And every time a new update drops, we go through days, sometimes weeks, of waiting for must-have mods to be updated before updating our games.

As you stated so well, I am also tired of starting a new save whenever a new pack comes out. I would prefer to continue playing my main saves rather than a Sim I have no connection with, or have no storyline for that Sim. So I don't update or patch my game until every mod I use has been updated, and most of the bugs that aren't fixed in a patch, have a new mod that fixes it. It's a hassle, and eats into my actual gaming time.

Recently I pulled my old Sims4 folder and uninstalled the game. I have it stored in a safe place and it includes all the CC I have been collecting over the years. I thought if I started over from scratch I might develop a new approach in how I play. And it's working. I have slowly been adding new CC and mods, downloading CC that is newer and I have never used before, and my interest in playing has been refreshed. This has been a long process, but an enjoyable process. Now that we're looking at yet another update later this month, I must make a decision to update or pass. And I am going to leave the updating to others who are more adventurous than I am right now. I don't know how long it will be before I update or patch again. Six years of this has impacted my desire to buy every new pack, or even to update and patch. Whenever EA puts out the type of content that I want is when I will think about going through the hassle, again, of playing a waiting game rather than playing Sims4. I'm tired of this and I think I'll just stay where I am.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I wished there was a simple way to update mods .... I like the regular patch but it is a pain to check all my mods. I can’t play this game without mods .
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Nah It's not too often. Just Wait on every March to May and July to October since no dlc comes around that era months and small bug fix patches (aside from stuff pack release on summer) there will be loads of complaints and drama on twitter that, The Sims 4 is Dying. Just look at last year after the release of knifty Knitting up to pre November pack announcement 😆😆

It also happend in 2016 After Dine Out release and the hype only came back after City Living was Leaked 😆😆 Same in 2017 pre Cats and Dogs and in 2018 pre Get Famous announcements 😆😆😆

So I don't think it's often. It may feel right now because trust me, November - February are where Sims Content starts to kick in and June-July. Outsides of those months of huge ep releases and back to back updates and packs things will get back to bug fixes that will not broke mods.

And the complaints of the sims team is not listening and sims 4 is dying will be back because the team is not relaseing content due to them busy at Mar-May and July- October 😂😆😆😆
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I like it but I don't play like you. I only play one save and when a new pack comes out I only buy it if I can integrate it into my current save. I never start a new save to explore a new pack. (I ended up buying most packs anyway but there's three I don't have that I'll never get cuz they just don't work in my save file so there's no point.)

I don't use many mods and no cc and half the time play vanilla so those don't break either.

So with all that in mind, I like the frequency.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    I find getting new content and patches exciting. My particular gameplay preferences are fantastical and supernatural so it tends to be a longer time between packs that I get the content I'm looking for. After Realm of Magic, I didn't feel true hype until Journey to Batuu came out, which was a year later. There were little things in between that I liked, or little parts of packs that I could use, so I kept my focus on those things to stay entertained.

I also play just one main save and integrate packs into it. A pack I'm excited for might inspire me to create some new Sims for it, but I'll put them in my same save and just have them doing their own thing or meet my other Sims. I love to have my game worlds colonized with my own Sims who all have different things going on and I can jump to whatever household I feel like playing. There's still a lot of stuff in many of the packs that I haven't explored, but I don't mind that. My Sim world just continues to expand and grow and it becomes more and more interesting.

I also have been playing vanilla for a few years now because of the frequent patches. It was definitely annoying to update mods all the time so I just left my old CC and mods in a folder on my desktop for the future. With all of the costumes from Get Famous and Spooky and the many cool wardrobes from other packs, I haven't felt a need for CC. When I played Sims 2 my game was completely overloaded with it, but Sims 4 just feels so much more diverse and creative with designs and styles that I have a good selection already. There are a few smaller mods that I like and occasionally will update and put them in for a little while, but, again, the constant updating just gets them bumped back out. One day, when the game has stopped developing, I'm going to customize it with all of my favorite mods and it will be glorious.

#Team Occult
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,914 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    One day, when the game has stopped developing, I'm going to customize it with all of my favorite mods and it will be glorious.

This!!! <3
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Looking at the programming that EA/Maxis is using and how so many packs are intertwined within one main program. Sims 4 needs tweaking especially the AI system before and after each new pack. Sadly EA/Maxis has an poor track record on addressing the bugs or they may not prioritize the bugs that varies in complexity. It is sad that MODs know how to fix the game but EA/Maxis tend to screw it up and sometimes do not fix the problems that the mods had fixed.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • simmervibes4simmervibes4 Posts: 3 New Member
    hi I know Im not really sharing something fun, but..
    I got a few mods and cc today you know the deal, and I made my sim and got her a plot of land bc I wanted to build her a house, normal so far right? When Im in live mode I do not see the tools of the game (where you see your sim and her current mood and if she is hungry or not.) I cannot go into build mode when I go to manage worlds its all black, I cannot exit so if I wanna exit I restart my computer. What should I do?
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited February 2021
    hi I know Im not really sharing something fun, but..
    I got a few mods and cc today you know the deal, and I made my sim and got her a plot of land bc I wanted to build her a house, normal so far right? When Im in live mode I do not see the tools of the game (where you see your sim and her current mood and if she is hungry or not.) I cannot go into build mode when I go to manage worlds its all black, I cannot exit so if I wanna exit I restart my computer. What should I do?

Exit, restart your computer, delete your mods, load the game and check. If it goes back to normal, as i believe it will, and if you still want to use mods, add one by one and check the game each time. Discover the one who's causing this.
    Or just delete the mods and play vanilla.
  • simmervibes4simmervibes4 Posts: 3 New Member
    thank you! I will do this now
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    I would like content and patches even more often.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited February 2021
    LiELF wrote: »
    One day, when the game has stopped developing, I'm going to customize it with all of my favorite mods and it will be glorious.

This!!! <3

I plan the same thing but not before :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I play vanilla with my PS4 version, and have a couple things of CC and Mods for my base game for the PC version.
    I don't see too much issues with the patches on my PC version, except the patches just turn off the mods, and I just have to make them available again.
    The patches for my PS4 game are another issue. Bought Get to Work after they patched it, and the aliens got badly effected by the patch. Vampire Sims got nuked to just being Sims with fangs, that don't really do anything. I recently bought the Journey to Batuu, and the patch just gave me a bunch of bald people in place of the "aliens' that were supposed to be in the area. The only one so far not effected was one of the faction aliens.
    So, patched tend to nuke a lot of features of the expansions that I paid to get the game play of. I want alien abductions, I want Vampires that break in and act like Vampires. I also want "aliens" in Batuu.
  • mouseysmonstersmouseysmonsters Posts: 4 New Member
    Im probably a rarity but I would actually like it if they were a bit more frequent. I always look forward to new offical content and its what kept me playing since sims 1. I find I get bored easily cause I binge play, so Ill play non stop for a couple days, get bored and not come back to it untill a new pack comes out. So Im all for more packs to keep me coming back to the game haha.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,377 Member
    I'm with Page and Chicklet, I'm having to make new saves because I'm so confused as to who is doing what. To me, packs are coming out too frequently for me to actually be able to investigate properly. I always welcome packs, and I always buy, it's the sims, lol. But, the pace is a little too quick for me, so that's why I have to roll my eyes whenever someone says they're bored, lol.

As we used to say in Sims 3, if it takes a while they must be taking their time to get everything right before release. It was never true, but it was said a few times. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    I'm glad to see so many come our way, especially since all but one of them lately, I wasn't interested in. Well, the last one caught my attention, but when I found out what was in it, my desire to try it out faded, rapidly. I love Snowy Escape. So, I'm glad that was among the others. Can't wait to see what's next and hoping it's something I want. I'm starting to feel a little left out , if you will.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    To me new patch/pack = new bugs, and we have more than enough of those already.
  • BastetBastet Posts: 56 Member
    I don't mind new patches but some of the packs seem rushed for some reason. Paranormal SP for example, could've been a great game pack. It makes also no sense that Jungle Adventure is a GP but SE is an EP. Guess EA works in mysterious ways ¯\_(ツ)_/¯