Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Packs and Patches Too Often?

I know I'm probably the only crazy person who feels this way, but sometimes the frequency of packs and patches feel like they just happen way too often. Is it because we have all 3 types of packs and something new usually comes out about every 3 months? Plus patches typically happen every month?

Don't get me wrong, I love getting new content and bug fixes are always welcome! I typically start a fresh TS4 folder whenever a new pack or patch comes out and it takes me a long time to get back into the story I was playing because I'm checking out the "new" stuff in a new save, and my old saves get pushed aside. But, I feel like I get my game exactly how I want it again, and then BLAM! a new pack or new patch gets released and I have to start the whole process all over again.

I also use mods too (to either remove/tone down things I feel are too strong, or to fix things that I don't like about the game) so then I'm always waiting for these to update and I feel like I just get everything back to how I want it and then have to do it all over again in another month.

I just don't remember feeling this way about the other games. Maybe cause the packs were released only a few times a year and patches didn't happen every month.

Comments

• haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I don't mind, even though I have to check/update my mods every time. Sims 3 had new things coming out every month with the store, so the Sims 4's pace has felt a bit slower.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Can't relate. And I have tons of cc and mods to update. Infact it has become a part time job so I do know what you mean.
    But to keep getting frequent content and bug fixes It doesn't bother me and I would in no way want it to slow down. It's too exciting. Feels like Christmas when we get something 😃
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I play vanilla and always want more stuff :D I also keep playing the same save even when new things come out. I wouldn't mind having packs more often.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    I don’t mind having new stuff often, though it does seem like they’re making EPs, GPS and SPs in a very short time, which I think may be why we have so many bugs etc, they don’t have time to work properly.

What makes me think that way is that when Snowy Escape came out, the game changers explained they were contacted over the summer (like in August of something) to make builds and at first they barely had any build assets from SE and the world wasn’t finished at all. The EP came out in November. So they did work fast
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,668 Member
    edited February 2021
    I don't use lots of mods, only UI Cheat in fact, so there's not much for me to update when there is a new patch. So, I don't mind the monthly patches. That said, I play offline and rarely bother to patch my game very often, most often I save up a few patches before I allow Origin to update my game.

However, I can see that because there are so many new packs, even if I don't buy them all, there are several of my packs that I just did not have enough time to explore fully before a new pack took over my attention.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    There is no such thing as too much chocolate or too much content. 😁
    Dianesims wrote: »
    I don’t mind having new stuff often, though it does seem like they’re making EPs, GPS and SPs in a very short time, which I think may be why we have so many bugs etc, they don’t have time to work properly.

What makes me think that way is that when Snowy Escape came out, the game changers explained they were contacted over the summer (like in August of something) to make builds and at first they barely had any build assets from SE and the world wasn’t finished at all. The EP came out in November. So they did work fast

Those are each different teams working on different timelines so one doesn’t really affect the other as far as time vs quality goes.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    There is no such thing as too much chocolate or too much content. 😁
    Dianesims wrote: »

Those are each different teams working on different timelines so one doesn’t really affect the other as far as time vs quality goes.

I think it does since they have to split up the teams more so they have enough groups to work in all this DLC. Also they release EPs twice a year which I think is way too often when it comes to 40$ packs so I'm pretty sure the EP team must be in a real rush.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    Packs? Maybe, but I am rarely interested in all of them, so the current pace is okay for someone who buys ~50-60% EPs and GPs, and maybe 30% SPs.

Patches? Never enough of them. There's still much to be fixed and much that should be patched into the base game (spiral stairs, ponds, body hair, more swimming pool items).
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • UlmaUlma Posts: 6 New Member
    I can understand how that can be frustrated, having to update cc as often as new content or patches are put out. I understand it, but I've never experienced it. In fact, that's part of the reason why I never go too crazy into cc. I have a few things I consider essential (like MC Command Center) and all of that can be redownloaded and applied in like 5 when I need to update them.

However, even if I was a big custom content player I think I still wouldn't mind too much. Patches are always a good thing, and when it comes to packs and EPs I personally prefer to have a selection and different things to choose from. Luckily I don't feel the need to buy every EP/GP. My wallet thanks me.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    I don't mind new content, it is always welcome, but I have stopped using cc because I don't have time to check for updates every time a new patch is released.
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I would think the hardest people hit with the frequency are the mod makers. I feel for them. Myself, I don't mind how often the packs/patches come out, if I don't feel like updating and I don't want a new pack I just play offline until I do.
  • DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 470 Member
    New content- like to love depending on the content

Patches- hate to like depending what they do to my game

Updating mods and CC- HATE, it takes forever because I go between vanilla and modded for this game... When I actually play it.

(Never blame the modders they make this game enjoyable and playable for us for FREE)
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I use just 5 or 6 small mods so it's really easy to check them after a patch.

I don't hurry into new content as it is out, so i never feel overwhelmed when two packs are out in a very close timeline...

So i'm always ready to get more content :)
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited February 2021
    I don't mind monthly patches, if anything I would like for them to focus more on bug fixing and improving the game. They have a rather large QA team but we still see so many bugs.

When it comes to packs I do mind that they seem to have a very short release schedule and I think that reduces the amount of content that they are able to make for every pack.

I think Expansion Packs could use some longer development time and more people because sometimes it feels like they reuse a lot of features or don't have enough features. Gamepacks and Stuff packs feels fine but I do feel that we get too many stuff packs.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I love new content. Patches are often disappointing because they seem to take forever to fix certain things.

Lucky for me, I have no cc. And I also only use a tiny aspect of the MCCC mod which always seems to get updated really fast.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I play vanilla, so, I don't mind if there's a lot of patches because most of the time, it fixed the bugs. For the packs, I would prefer if it's only GP/EP only. SP is great, only if it's introducing a new gameplay.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    You know, since i started playing other games as well, it takes me too long to fully discover everything in a new pack. Like i barely played with snowy escape, and yet my excitement for finding out planned new content is probably at an all time high. I dont know what's up with that :D
    I think i am fine with their current schedule.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    The thing that annoys me is that my game could be working fine for a month then a patch will break something fundamental to my game, then it's a month wait to see if it gets repaired (if ever). It does dampen my enthusiasm.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Ohhh don't get me wrong, I don't want them to change how often they are releasing new content, just personally it gets overwhelming because I feel like I finally get to start actually playing and then new content is coming in a few weeks, so I literally sort of hold off getting too involved in my game because I know I'll more than likely buy the pack and have to start the process all over again.

It's a good problem tho, so I'm not really complaining, I just didn't know if anybody else feels like every month we're updating the game, checking for new bugs, exploring new features, setting aside established saves in fear of something messing them up.

That's the main reason I always start a new save, because I don't want to ruin any work I've already done.

Last year wasn't too bad actually, because I wasn't really that thrilled with the packs we got, so I didn't feel like I needed to immediately rush and get the pack at the time of release.

And, I had a break from July until November, because Batuu was released in September and that was a hard pass for me.

• SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,126 Member
    Actually, the packs are a 5 month gap from January to June, after that there's a back to back packs. The devs always makes up for the 5 month gap in the summer & fall for some reason, instead of having one pack in the spring.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I feel like it causes the quality to drop. When you are making any game that costs 40$ you need to make sure it is actually worth that amount.

Also I know a lot of Simmers who are only drawn to this game because of all the new content releases. I'm pretty sure a big part of the community can't stay interested in this game for longer than 1 year of no new content.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    We use to get so much more than that in the Sims3 with the store and all packs. It's a huge slow down from that and I can't get enough stuff. We use to have more teams making content and more stuff, so I can't relate at all. I play vanilla, so I figure if you add to it, it's a choice to do so. I wish they would add that team back and put out more. Fixes have always been part of it too, although playing vanilla keeps that down too. After the mess with auto cc mess ups in the Sims3, I would never dream of adding cc/mods. That was a nightmare that I don't want again.
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,653 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    The thing that annoys me is that my game could be working fine for a month then a patch will break something fundamental to my game, then it's a month wait to see if it gets repaired (if ever). It does dampen my enthusiasm.
    My thoughts exactly. I haven't updated since the dramas with last Novembers patch, and my game is running fine. No plans to patch anytime soon.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    You probably notice a lot more with mods. 4 gets updated fairly often, but I know games that get updated around once a month. Every three months is not that bad. Plus its content cycle is not exactly unusual either. (Look at Paradox strategy games for example or Frontier games and how they do DLC.)

So while the classic Sims style is piece by piece live service with free base game updates, they are by no means the only ones doing it.