With a lot of speculation of the Sims 5 being currently in development I was wondering what is everyone's wishlist for features in the Sims 5? Below I am going to list my wish list for features in the Sims 5.
Here is my wishlist for the Sims 5. I have a lot of features I would like to see in the Sims 5 so my list is going to be long Feel free to just read my tldr if you don't want to read my whole post. Since my favorite sims game is the Sims 3 I would love for the sims 5 developers to reintroduce and fine tune a lot of features from the Sims 3.
TLDR - Reincorporate various features from the Sims 3 like open world gameplay, create a style, create a world, and story progression. Reincorporate Sims 2 lore and wants/fears system. Improve upon Sims 4 build/buy mode.
1. Reintroduce Open Worlds - What I love the most about the Sims 3 is open world gameplay. This made the Sims 3 feel a lot more immersive than other Sims games and I loved being able to visit neighbors, community lots etc. without a loading screen. While open world gameplay and the large worlds of the Sims 3 did make the game lag a lot I am fine with the long loading screens so long as I do not have to have loading screens everything I visit other lots. Considering the Sims 3 was released back in 2009 and it is now 2021 I would imagine game performance should not be as huge of a concern because computer performance has improved quite a lot and with cloud computing technologies I imagine this would make memory issues a non issue although this would require internet connection(which I think could be included so long as offline gameplay was an option). I would be okay with the Sims 5 having scaled down worlds from the Sims 3 and incorporate world environment objects like the Sims 4 or Sims 3 rabbit holes. I think a world with around 50-70 lots might be a good size. Big enough where it does not feel too small like the Sims 4 but not too huge like Sims 3 worlds that might be overwhelming to some users or too laggy.
If open worlds is not an option then at least have open neighborhoods. In the Sims 4 there is semi open neighborhoods since sims can interact with the neighborhood outside of their home but can't visit neighbors or other lots in their neighborhood without a loading screen. If it is truly an open neighborhood then this would be no loading screens between lots.
On the subject of worlds I think it would be nice to have 2-3 base game worlds. I think like the Sims 4 maybe two of them would be full of premade sims and lots while one could be a build ready empty world like Newcrest. This would give options to players who want to play a gameplay ready world and a world they can build from scratch.
2. Have the ability to travel between different worlds just like the Sims 4. I really like this about the Sims 4. I like the ability to interact with different worlds in the game and I am okay with loading screens for this to be included.
3. Reintroduce create a style - I know not everyone likes this tool because of how laggy it can be in the Sims 3. However as a simmer who likes to build the most I love the ability to customize patterns and objects with this tool. It also makes CAS a lot more fun to customize sims. Having a create a style tool would be great to reincorporate so long as it functioned without slowing down the game significantly.
4. Reintroduce wants and fears from the Sims 2 - This was a great feature of the Sims 2 and made you feel more invested in the sims aspirations. I often feel whims from the Sims 4 are just pointless. Most of the time they just want to buy new things and this makes it feel rather shallow.
5. Semi-open to open careers - I really love the Sims 3 Ambitions open professions. I think having features from the Sims 3 Ambitions and Sims 4 Get to Work and Sims 2 Open for Business would be a lot of fun as a potential expansion pack for a Sims 5 game. What I love about Sims 3 Ambitions, Sims 4 Get to Work, and Sims 4 Get Famous is they all include professions where you can follow your sim to their workplace. I would not want all careers to be open and think the majority of these could be like the Sims 3 where sims just go to a rabbit hole but I think having things like the ability for sims to do tasks even for rabbit hole careers in the world like doctors doing flu drives(like the Sims 3 ambitions), politicians giving speeches or organizing protests etc. would be fun things for there to be for careers that otherwise would be mostly limited to rabbit holes. I think also having the ability to work from home like there was in the Sims 4 should be included in professions/careers in the Sims 5 base game.
6. Have better lore and relationships for premade sims - One of my biggest gripes about the Sims 4 is the boring unfinished feeling lore. You have narratives of premade sims that are great concepts like the love triangle of the BFF household, Don Lothario and his love triangle with Katrina Caliente and the Caliente sisters, Johhny Zest being disowned for pursuing a career in comedy yet all of these sims do not have relationships outside of their existing households or do not have relationships promised in the household bios. I think the lack of any romantic relationship in the BFF household was a major disappointment as was the lack of any familial connection in Johnny Zest family tree to the Landgrabs or the lack of there being any romantic relationship between Don Lothario and the Calientes. It is also super awkward that preamde sims in the Sims 4 do not have any relationships with other sims in their neighborhood. Irl people would know their neighbors and have a circle of friends outside of their household. The Sims 2 I think had the best lore of the sims franchise despite the game being really old now because of the interesting storyline of the love triangle in Pleasantview, Bella Goth's disapperance, aliens in Strangetown, and the forbidden love narrative of Veronaville. I think it would be refreshing if the Sims 5 had a strong lore like the Sims 2 had or even the Sims 3. The Sims 4 had the most disappointing lore to me and this is largely because of the lack of any relationships outside of households. These small details that the Sims 4 lacks really makes the game feel unfinished to me and makes me bored of gameplay. I think having compelling lore would make me feel more engaged in playing premade sims.
7. More interesting life stages - I really think that the Sims 4 is really lacking when it comes to life stages. For the most part I only usually play with young adults or adults because the children in the Sims 4 can be annoying, the babies are non interactable, and elders are often too fatigued that even doing simple tasks makes me worried I might kill them by exhaustion. I think the lack of toddlers before an update was a major problem in the Sims 4 as well as the lack of interaction with babies. I often just age up babies in the Sims 4 because they are basically just objects constrained to their bassinets. Having more interactions and the ability to have babies outside of bassinets would make this life stage more interesting. While packs like parenthood did give better gameplay for sims families I think those kinds of features should just be included in a Sims 5 base game. The ability for parents to shape their childs behavior I think is realistic and I think makes families more fun to play with.
8. Build/Buy - This was actually a very strong feature of the Sims 4. I like how it was simplified compared to previous sims games which makes it more of an approachable tool for both new players and more experienced ones. I do miss there being a create a style tool but overall I think the Sims 4 build/buy mode is very advanced and allows for nice builds. I hope the Sims 5 continues this trajectory but continues this improvement. If create a style is not included in the Sims 5 I would at least like to have more swatches for items especially matching items and neutral colors. I really dislike that a lot of the items in the Sims 4 do not match that I end up using a lot of the same objects over and over. Having a greater variety of swatches and more ideally a create a style tool would make building feel more customizable.
9. Story Progression - I love this feature. I really think it should be included in the Sims 5 because I like how other sims continue living their lives without you actively playing them. I think this should be fine tuned compared to the Sims 3 but overall I think this is a feature that really makes the gameplay more immersive.
10. Create a World or custom neighborhoods - I really love the ability to create new neighborhoods in the Sims 2 and the ability to create worlds with the create a world tool for the Sims 3. I think having this ability would be really cool for the Sims 5. I would prefer there to be a new and improved create a world tool like the sims 3 had but I think it would be okay for there to be more blank pre made worlds like the sims 2 had with the ability to place lots.