Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is Rags to Riches easy for anyone else?

Whenever I play it I don't have almost any challenge. Its just boring because just like that I can afford everything I need to raise a family. I plant a bunch of mushrooms and done. I have 1500 Simolean income everyday when my sim wakes up.

Comments

• Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited January 2021
    I've never done the challenge but generally in the Sims 4 I find money making is far to easy.
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    Any time I try to handicap my sims financially it just becomes an exercise in "look how ridiculously easy it is to keep a sim housed and fed"; the game simply isn't designed to be a wilderness survival game. Fruit grows on trees everywhere and can be eaten for sustenance (and a positive moodlet, even the stuff that isn't very good.) Earn enough money to buy an easel and it's only a matter of painting a few paintings before you start making more money than even the highest-paying jobs at level 10 pay per hour. Start plinking on the piano in the nightclub and before you know it you'll be making several hundred bucks a night in tips. Even planting wild food in the yard eventually yields big dividends as Gardening skill rises and stuff like plant splicing leads to selling Perfect quality dragon fruits for almost 700 simoleons a pop. One plant can sustain a lifestyle over the course of a season.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    It might be easy to make money but you also need to spend it in order to feel like there is a challenge. When you start you already have almost everything needed for a sim to thrive, so if you just save the income money, it accumulates quickly.
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    I'm doing a rags to riches type challenge right now, and when I felt like my sim was making too much money too quickly, I made her donate 1000 simoleans to a charity on the computer, there's a cool down period with that though, unfortunately. I would have tried to have her donate like 10,000 simoleans to charity if not haha. Since I still felt like she was too rich, I visited a lot with Romantic Garden stuff and had her offer 10,000 simoleons to the whispering wishing well. Then I felt more back on track since I had gotten rid of some money without having to buy new stuff I didn't want her to have or cheat to make the money go away.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited January 2021
    Whenever I play it I don't have almost any challenge. Its just boring because just like that I can afford everything I need to raise a family. I plant a bunch of mushrooms and done. I have 1500 Simolean income everyday when my sim wakes up.

To make it challenging, I think you would need to come up with more restrictions. Like @permanentrose said, forcing your sim to donate a certain amount to charity or not allowing yourself to gain any money from gardening/collecting rocks.
    Post edited by haneul on
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    edited January 2021
    idk ive never really felt too excited about rags to riches cause there is only 2 modes:

i dont have money to do anything fun and my sim is stuck in filling their needs eternally

or

my sim got rich in 2 days

but i do find maintaining my sims wealth nice inspiration to keep my sims working and whatever so i rather give them grand house and then have them trying to manage the bills
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    You could make it a bit more difficult by having your sim only sell things with the market table. I did that with one sim, and he didn't get rich too fast. Not sure they fixed the one for paintings/photos, but that's an option too. It just wouldn't work when I tried it.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited January 2021
    The best way to experience the rags part would be limiting your sims to part-time jobs, as even Odd jobs accumulate money very quickly.

The family on a budget challenge allows one sim in the household to have a part time job, you have to pay for clothes, you absolutely must not sell anything (not even used furniture), and you have to raise six children. Gardening for personal use is allowed, as is using venues. (There are more rules, but these are the ones I play by). It's less about "to riches" and more about making life the best it can be under these restrictions.
  • Options
    Here are some ways to spend money in the sims:

- skill classes of any kind, if you need to raise some skills, pay for them instead of toiling away.
    - start tipping everyone 100 simoleons. the random musicians, the repair guy, the pizza delivery, etc.
    - don't repair anything yourself, always call in repair man, even if you have the skills
    - hire butler, maid, gardener even if your sims are neat freaks with level 10 gardening skill
    - gather as many friends as possible and invite them all for dinner at restaurant. Order for everyone the most expensive drink and food on the menu.
    - take 7 day vacations
    - gift stuff instead of selling it. Poor sims can gift the extra onions, rich sims can gift those expensive 2500 simoleons cameras. Same with paintings, if you have some masterpiece, you could gift it to a friend or your local museum, hospital, etc.
    - remember that your sims work to live, so once they start bringing in big money on a regular basis they could work a little less and spend more time socializing and having fun. If they run out of money to pay the bills, they can start selling the heirlooms then work to collect them all again.
  • Options
    mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    It's true, it's fairly easy to make money in this game. There are ways to make it difficult if you implement some rules or limitations.
    My most challenging rags to riches was playing off the grid at Key Point in Sulani. He started off with no money and no house, just a campfire to cook with, and a tent. The only thing he was allowed to sell is the fish he caught on the island, while also observing the conservation rules of returning certain types of fish back to the sea. The only things he was allowed to plant were crops he harvested from the island, and even then they were only for eating, and not for making money. The wood working table was for making decor and furniture only, and any collectibles he found were just for collecting. This was before I bought Tiny Living (and I never got Eco Living), so he didn't even get to take advantage of the tiny home perks, lol! It was hard and a lot of grinding. I had a lot of fun though, and this sim became one of my favourites! Once he completed the fishing aspiration, he then worked as a conservationist. My other rule, if I recall, was no roommate or partner for him until he can complete and fully furnish his house, so the poor little dude was lonely for some time! Eventually, he became rich and got married....but I loved what's become of his island so much that they are still living in his humble, off-the-grid hut!
  • Options
    AmTk86AmTk86 Posts: 80 Member
    It’s definitely really easy to get rich, and even when your not it’s not all that hard to provide for your sim. I have a ton of self imposed rules and mods to my sims’ life financial life harder.
  • Options
    thenightcourtthenightcourt Posts: 173 Member
    The best way to experience the rags part would be limiting your sims to part-time jobs, as even Odd jobs accumulate money very quickly.

The family on a budget challenge allows one sim in the household to have a part time job, you have to pay for clothes, you absolutely must not sell anything (not even used furniture), and you have to raise six children. Gardening for personal use is allowed, as is using venues. (There are more rules, but these are the ones I play by). It's less about "to riches" and more about making life the best it can be under these restrictions.

Could you link to this challenge? It sounds fun, and I’d love to try it!
    Never forgive, always forget.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    It is definitely too easy. I am playing a "decades challenge" and my sims easily make $300 to $500 a day. It is off the grid and they don't have much of a garden to sell. I use the produce and fish in all meals made. Only selling items by the table as a "yard sale" too. Hopeful that when the challenge allows electricity, that bills will cost more.
  • Options
    Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    One thing I make sure my rags to riches sims never do is sell directly from their inventory. If they gather collectibles I have them either wait for the flea market and set up there or do odd jobs until they can afford the flea market table. I never mark up prices when selling, so that $2 snapdragon is still $2.

Sometimes I wont allow them to even do the odd jobs because those will make money way tto quickly.
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    I like to play in a rags to riches styles. The most fun I have in the early beginning, when the income is low and when I have to decide to buy either a needed furniture or pay the bills. Once all is furnishing and the income rises, I miss the struggles I had. Luckely in my decade challenge there are enough currency breaks, that I can lower the wealth. Also when the children moved out, they receive the dowry.
  • Options
    Echo17121Echo17121 Posts: 88 Member
    I did my rags to riches with Eco Lifestyle and my sim couldn't buy any furniture, he only could have things he got from the dumpster or made. I had him working in the conservationist career so that was the only source of money. He took a lot of naps on benches and in dumpsters. It was really fun and a true challenge to me because I usually cheat money or needs.
  • Options
    Echo17121 wrote: »
    I did my rags to riches with Eco Lifestyle and my sim couldn't buy any furniture, he only could have things he got from the dumpster or made. I had him working in the conservationist career so that was the only source of money. He took a lot of naps on benches and in dumpsters. It was really fun and a true challenge to me because I usually cheat money or needs.

I like to build hotels where homeless sims can spend the night, have a shower and cook food. Think of it as homeless shelters, no need to spend the night in the dustbin or on park benches.
  • Options
    muzemuze Posts: 108 Member
    Making money with gardening and painting makes me feel like I'm cheating I agree. But I like playing in nicely decorated houses instead of building on my own because I'm not good at building and the houses I like are expensive (min. 70-80k simoleons) so I use Scarlet's SimCity Loans mod to take out loans (like 100k) and pay them weekly. My sims bills are around 2-3k plus they pay around 3-5k for loans weekly so they add up quickly. This way the game gets harder in my opinion.