Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Supernatural/occult themed tv shows.

MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
Everyone is all Winx-blahblahblah at the moment.

But I found something different.

Nowhere Boys
2014-12-23_2305.png

It came up on Netflix, and I clicked it without even looking at what it was about, nor the rating.
For some reason I thought it was Kiwi, until I heard the accents.
It's a PG, Aussie show, aimed at teens, from 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxPc2eJE_4k

Oh, and the main character is a goth kid, who happens to be a witch.

The show isn't bogged down in boring romance... The few romantic interactions are appropriately awkward.
Instead, it's more about family, belonging, and acceptance, all while magical forces are at play.

Teenaged me would have loved it, like a dirty secret, adult me is amused by it, and left wondering if there are more lesser known shows of this nature.

So, what lesser known supernatural/occult shows have you seen?
AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif

Comments

• WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,754 Member
    edited January 2021
    There was a sci-fi series (made in Australia, I think) that showed on TV in the UK, possibly around 20 years ago, called Farscape. I re-watched a lot of the series again at Uni a few years ago and really enjoyed it.
    For anyone who hasn't seen it, it tells the story of an astronaut who accidentally travels through a wormhole and ends up on a living ship with a mis-matched crew of aliens. It's a very trippy series; there are quite a few episodes where either most of the action takes place in the main character's imagination (his dreams are hilariously weird), or he and the other characters wind up in just randomly bizarre situations. I found it fun.

What I also liked about the show were the creature creations. It uses Jim Henson puppetry, and the attention to detail and movement (think more Dark Crystal than Muppets) in some of the characters is amazing.

I've seen Winx advertised but haven't watched it. Didn't it used to be a children's cartoon (or were they toys?) years ago?
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited January 2021
    Being Human (UK version) has to be one of my favourites. It even inspired one of my favourite sim households. I just need werewolves in TS4 now so I can finally have my vampire/werewolf/ghost family. I also really enjoyed The Fades (spirits of the dead) and In The Flesh (rehabilitated zombies), which were both a little different. Requiem was quite interesting too, but I won't spoil it for anyone that wants to watch it. If you love vampires like I do and want to laugh, then I also recommend What We Do In The Shadows (film and series). I used to like another show called Hex (witches and fallen angels) when I was a teenager, but I think the ending was left open if I remember correctly. Honestly I have watched so many supernatural shows, it's hard to keep track! I finished Dark a few months ago, which is a German sci-fi series about time travel. It was so clever until the final season which I found a bit disappointing and overcomplicated.

More recently I watched the second series of A Discovery of Witches, which is a romance story between a vampire and a witch. I thought it was okay, although not as good or interesting as the first series. It felt quite slow to me and not a lot seemed to happen. It was nice to finally have something new to watch though and I enjoyed the historical setting.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I've almost finished watching Nowhere Boys. Had half of season 4 to go, and iview took it down. :(
    Hopefully Netflix is picking up the rest of it.

Farscape. It's a very trippy series;
    Oh, gosh. It's been a while since I watched that.
    It's like a grown up version of a lot of Aussie kids tv shows. Trippy, wild adventures, full of weird comedy, are pretty standard for our kids shows.
    I've seen Winx advertised but haven't watched it. Didn't it used to be a children's cartoon (or were they toys?) years ago?
    Apparently.
    And apparently this new show is based on the kids one, but is full of sex and substance use.
    It's meant to be aimed at teens, but it seems more like it's aimed at young adults.

Being Human (UK version) has to be one of my favourites. It even inspired one of my favourite sim households.
    It inspired the sim in my profile pic.
    The original concept for the characters was Mitchell was a sex addict, George had anger management issues, and Annie was an agoraphobe. But I'm glad they changed them to supernatural characters.

The Fades (spirits of the dead) and In The Flesh (rehabilitated zombies)
    If you liked them, then you might also like Residue. Unfortunately, it's only a 3 episode pilot. It would have been really interesting to see where the might have taken the story.

Requiem was quite interesting too, but I won't spoil it for anyone that wants to watch it.
    It's a bit more cerebral than the average supernatural themed show.

If you love vampires like I do and want to laugh, then I also recommend What We Do In The Shadows (film and series).
    And Wellington Paranormal. It's got 2 seasons (a third is coming out soon), a xmas special, and they teamed up with the NZ police for a bunch of covid-safe messages.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CReU_d7JIk

I used to like another show called Hex (witches and fallen angels)
    I haven't seen that one.
    Honestly I have watched so many supernatural shows, it's hard to keep track! I finished Dark a few months ago, which is a German sci-fi series about time travel.
    I can sympathise, I used to binge read scifi, fantasy, and supernatural themed books, now I binge watch far too many shows.
    Dark was good.

And on the topic of non-English speaking shows, Netflix has several from Turkey that are pretty good. They also have many from Korea, I really enjoyed Kingdom (Zombies in a historical setting).
    The Rain (Danish) is more of a post apocalyptic fantasy, than supernatural.

More recently I watched the second series of A Discovery of Witches, which is a romance story between a vampire and a witch. I thought it was okay, although not as good or interesting as the first series. It felt quite slow to me and not a lot seemed to happen. It was nice to finally have something new to watch though and I enjoyed the historical setting.
    I tried watching that, but couldn't get into it. It was definitely too slow. I prefer faster paced, complex stories.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited January 2021
    @Movotti Oh wow, it's great to know I'm not the only Being Human fan on the forums! I loved the original trio, but it was the adorkable ruthless killer vampire with OCD and DID that stole my heart and ate it. I was so sad to see it end, but I also love that the future of the characters now belongs to us.

I haven't seen Residue or Wellington Paranormal yet, so I will have to give them a look along with Kingdom and The Rain. Thanks for the suggestions! I have remembered a few more, although you've probably already seen them - Apparitions, The Exorcist, Jekyll, Afterlife, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, Midnight Texas, Lucifer, Good Omens, and American Horror Story. War of the Worlds (Fox/Canal+ adaptation) frustrated me because of the misleading title, but I am willing to give the second series a chance. I just want to see some tripods! I plan on trying Damien soon, but I have no idea if it is any good.

It's hard to remember much about Hex, except my teen crush on Michael Fassbender as Azazeal. Before that, I used to watch Sabrina, Buffy and Charmed. I have just always loved supernatural stories. I blame my older brothers as they were always showing me supernatural horror films/shows and books when I was little.
  • GenkiderGenkider Posts: 70 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    I've almost finished watching Nowhere Boys. Had half of season 4 to go, and iview took it down. :(
    Hopefully Netflix is picking up the rest of it.

Farscape. It's a very trippy series;
    Oh, gosh. It's been a while since I watched that.
    It's like a grown up version of a lot of Aussie kids tv shows. Trippy, wild adventures, full of weird comedy, are pretty standard for our kids shows.
    Apparently.
    And apparently this new show is based on the kids one, but is full of sex and substance use.
    It's meant to be aimed at teens, but it seems more like it's aimed at young adults.

Actually Winx was a cartoon aimed at teens, the live action series is aimed at young adults I believe (around their 20-ish). I find the original cartoon to be far more interesting than this boring live action. At least the cartoon explored some dark topics at the time and had a rich lore of magical creatures. I remember the main topic of one season was wizards hunting down fairies and forcefully ripping out their wings to keep them captive, I find that far more "dark" than whatever the live action is trying to do.