I wanted to create this discussion to show how many creepy or scary things there are in The Sims series. Whether it's an intended gameplay feature or a bug, there are things that leave some players unsettled, creeped out, or even scared, especially when caught off guard.
I'm interested in seeing what other players are scared or creeped out by. Share your thoughts and, if you want, illustrate them with pictures, descriptions, your experiences, videos etc. I'd really love to see what we collect here eventually.
Every The Sims game is welcome! Even the console versions, MySims, The Sims Stories, The Sims Medieval, mobile versions etc.
Let me start this off. I'll put videos under spoilers so it won't take much room.The Sims 1
The Sims 2
- Those scary soundtracks that play during death, danger, fire, and ghosts. Imagine having sims sleep peacefully at night when suddenly a burglar or a raccoon comes accompanied by that danger theme. Definately jumpscarish. I'll put a video showcasing those sounds under this spoilers.
- The fact that Grim Reaper acutally has a skull that can be seen. The next games remove it, leaving the hood empty. But still, it has creeped me out. You can find many images and videos of it on internet.
The Sims 3
- Ghosts haven't scared me. However, those noises that can be heard near gravestones at the time ghosts can roam around (midnight to 6:00 AM), those are different things. The video I put under the spoilers has caught part of it unintentionally. If you listen closely before the scene ends, you may hear strange sounds. Those are part of the gravestone sounds. I remember hearing someone also saying they heard howling, but I can't find it right now, so it might be a false memory...
- The fact that it's easy to corrupt your neighborhood or even the whole game. While most of the time it can be easily avoided (don't delete sims and gravestones), at other times it's just a unfortunate occuring (grand vampire bites Mrs. Crumplebottom, turning her into a vampire and corrupting your entire game). One of the sympoms of a corrupted game/neighborhood is the squggly lines that can appear in bubbles, memories etc. Fortunately, it's stretched out X with numbers, so the corruption squggly lines are horizontal and only has black, red, and white colors. However, knowing this, sometimes vertical sqiggly lines (of compressed need bubbles) that pop up showing a sim noticing a hidden object can easily scare us (fortunately, they are not a sign of corruption).
More about corruption here: https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Game_guide:Avoiding_corruption#Known_symptoms_of_corruption
The Sims 4
- Meteors! Yikes! First it is really really rare (0.01% randomly, 0.1% with telescope). So it will definately catch you off guard. And to add insult to injury, it plays a jumpscarish music when the shadow appears, and you have limited time to get your sim away from the shadow or otherwise they'll die. That really sends heart racing. I'll put one of my tutorials as a video under the spoilers showing the meteor part. Imagine that happening when you least expect it.
- Yet another rare event, this time it's 1% chance and it can be increased by another 1% by heavy rain or being near a hidden island. Kraken is a sea creature that can swim by boats and houseboats. Really unfortunate sims on small boats (not houseboats) find themselves being dragged underwater with their boat, destroying in process and making sims resurfacing panic (fortunately, it can't kill them). It will also catch you off-guard. At least you'll get reimbursed by mail the next day. Thank you for thalassophobia! I'll include another tutorial under spoilers.
- The ocean threat in Island Living. While it may seem lazy: a dark cloud pulling sims underwater, for me, it makes it scarier. What is it? Sims' bubbles may show that it might be a kraken, a shark, a sea monster, whatever. If it happens randomly (usually in Mua Pel'am some hours after a shark encounter), it can drown the sim. This has caused me thalassophobia and I started to have dreams of sending my sims swimming only to immediately be pulled underwater and drowned. I'll include another tutorial under here, only I'll correct that encountering a shark and surviving the ocean threat will now make sims scared.
- I don't know what else to put here. So relating to the previous point, the fact that it's possible to encounter sharks in Britechester. It is also possible to be pulled underwater in Foxbury Institute neighborhood. Is it a failed student experiment that accidentally let a sea monster get away or is it a bug. It's up to you.
Sorry if I took some points you might want to share, but if you wish, you may add to that, add a story etc. Feel free to do the same to the other peoples' comments.
PS: Sorry about my little professionalism. I really felt like a journalist writing this. But still, I'd love to see what you bring to this disucssion.
You can never discover The Sims games 100%. Even when you think you know everything, the game manages to surprise you.
That's why I do experiments in the game from time to time and tutorial videos on YouTube.