Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you influence the biological s*x of your sim children?

Didn't know if they'd censor the full word hence the *

Basically if you didn't know (I'm sure most of you do tho) you can listen to pop / alternative music or eat carrots / strawberries to influence the biological s*x of your children in the sims 4. You could also do this through modding too and you can influence the sex in the sims 3 with watermelons and apples I believe. I don't know if it's available or not on the sims 2 though.

Anyway was interested to see if people do this. I used to all the time years ago and I'd give families atleast one boy and one girl. Now I just don't care and normally have it surprise me. I also find it more interesting to not have such a "perfect" (i guess thats the word) family. Anyway what do you guys do?

Do you influence the biological s*x of your sim children? 143 votes

Always
4%
Jderrick094mcruddtaydevaws200MasonGamerEnkiSchmidtStrawberryYogurt 7 votes
Sometimes
36%
auroraael14Kita5399GalacticGalIcewolfalexspoom13Colorist40AprilDawnTheSpotted_CThunderbat87Pipersfun2simgirl1010Paigeisin5barracuda1574Amj1995kiara07Toriemlmeadowsphantasmkissbixtersannaliese39 52 votes
Barely
16%
SimmervillePlayerSinger2010JestTruKennziKaigesparkietothemaxKate2450DaraviSelinaKylesHermitgirlFlapmusteniPamtastic72comicsforlifeBusufuNorthDakotaGamerTS1299LairaFurAndYarnTomasGrizzlyDaephene 24 votes
Never
37%
Akl500Ptams2578Stace1234566JeanIceyJAlexaioveronIsb917simm621elanorbretonhaneulilovejewel17freindlylolcchant86fruitsbasket101Yautjagirlvalairia1Mizzila1297Khrisstynespice3 54 votes
I don't play with children
4%
crocobauraelelunicyOnverserColton147147cody6268QueenSaraphine 6 votes

Comments

• Options
    RySBIRySBI Posts: 329 Member
    Never
    Not so far, though if I had a specific storyline in mind involving a sim’s children, I’d probably just cheat to edit them in CAS when they became toddlers.

I do kind of like the randomness of it though!
  • Options
    Emusimmer32Emusimmer32 Posts: 257 Member
    Never
    I agree I feel like if i have a story in mind i would but the randomness is just funner for me personally
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    Never
    I've played all the sims games and never done it. I like it better when it's up to chance.
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited January 2021
    Sometimes
    I would say sometimes if my sims have had too many boys, I just want atleast one girl for the next gen and vice versa if theres too many girls, so I get my pregnant sim too eat lots of strawberries and listen to pop when/if that happens, for a boy is eating lots carots and listen to alternate music
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Never
    I like the impredictability, just as life...
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    Sometimes
    Nikkih wrote: »
    I would say sometimes if my sims have had too many boys, I just want atleast one girl for the next gen and vice versa if theres too many girls, so I get my pregnant sim too eat lots of strawberries and listen to pop when/if that happens, for a boy is eating lots carots and listen to alternate music

That's where I am with it. I might just prefer the born sim be a girl or a boy based on current story or like you're saying, there are plenty of one or the other so let's balance things out. I love that we have that ability without having to fulleditmode them.

I try to stay out of the cas for "born" sims except for hair style and clothing so once they're born I let them run their course.
  • Options
    Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    Barely
    Only if required by a challenge. Never when I play my own way.
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    Sometimes
    Kerrigan wrote: »
    Nikkih wrote: »

That's where I am with it. I might just prefer the born sim be a girl or a boy based on current story or like you're saying, there are plenty of one or the other so let's balance things out. I love that we have that ability without having to fulleditmode them.

I try to stay out of the cas for "born" sims except for hair style and clothing so once they're born I let them run their course.

Sometimes the game goes through a phase of just giving your families girls and sometimes just boys, I do like to have a mixture of both in my game, born in game children I dont touch how they look like, I dont like my sims to look all the same, my first sim when I first start a new save I would say always looks the same, because I'm female & blonde and light skinned that's what my first sim looks like, then when I play the game and my sim has children their features change etc and I always keep it @Kerrigan
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Barely
    If I need a certain gender for an heir in a challenge, I have sometimes. But I usually leave it to chance otherwise.
  • Options
    Vicky_chingyu1023Vicky_chingyu1023 Posts: 55 Member
    Never
    Nah. I just let the game determined my kids' genders and orientations.
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    Barely
    As I have 1+1 quite often, there's rarely a need. If I had 2-3 of the same gender, I might help the next one being the other gender.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Never
    No, but Im tired of always getting baby boys.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Barely
    I think I once made my sim eat some strawberries hoping for a girl. Not completely sure. Could have picked never as well, lol.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited January 2021
    Sometimes
    I try not to get the lady sims pregnant too often, but I do remember going for the carrots/ alternative music option once because my story required a male heir. It was also a way of testing the gender control.
    I usually let things happen naturally though...as long as the babe is healthy, right?

I’d do it all again if my story requires it though. 😇
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    Sometimes
    It depends on the storyline I’m playing, but I definitely like the element of surprise with some families. I have MCCC so I can check to see how many babies and their genders before my sim gives birth but sometimes I keep myself from checking just for the extra surprise. One of my favorite sims is pregnant with twins right now and it’s a boy and a girl. I didn’t choose twins or the genders, so that was a fun little story development.

However, for my main family, the one in my signature, I really wanted them to have girls. I had the perfect names picked out and everything, so I did make sure both of them were girls.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited January 2021
    Always
    Almost always. Although I hardly put my sims through pregnancy and instead give them toddlers in CAS. In legacies and challenges that require pregnancies I use the ingame influence methods.

Deciding my sims' offspring is no different in my opinion from deciding their careers or lot traits. It's still a surprise for them.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Never
    I never do this. I love randomness in my sims games.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Barely
    I have done it I think twice...for a certain storyline, but mostly I like to leave it to chance.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Never
    I actually go out of my way not to influence the gender. I try to make sure my Sims don't listen to Alternative or Pop stations or eat carrots or strawberries. If they do it on their own, so be it, but I like to be surprised and see where the game takes it.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    simesmerizedsimesmerized Posts: 202 Member
    Sometimes
    Sometimes if I have a specific story in mind. I’m trying to let them be what they want to be. I’ve got to learn to stop trying to be so controlling because I’m finding it’s more amusing when things turn out randomly.
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    edited January 2021
    Sometimes
    Sort of a side note but related -

My sister has two kids, a boy and a girl, and based on ovulation facts and some scientific beliefs about the differing speeds in which x and y swimmers swim lol, she is very convinced she influenced the gender of her babies due to conception circumstances. Both her kids are the gender she thought they would be based on this (she in insanely in tune with her ovulation cycle though, more than anyone I know) so who knows, maybe the gender influencing tricks in the sims aren’t so unrealistic based on real life :D

**Also if this is not an appropriate comment I will delete it, just thought it was an interesting tidbit
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 846 Member
    edited January 2021
    Barely
    Only if they've had 2 kids and both are girls. I play legacies and whether I end up playing the boy as heir or not, I want at least one boy to carry on the name. I'll influence his children as well for a boy.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,382 Member
    Never
    I've done it once, a long time ago, but I don't do it anymore.
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    edited January 2021
    Barely
    On my own played sims just a handful times in all these years, I let me surprise and deal with it. On other sims (npc) in the game, in one or two occasions I have changed the gender completely for the story progress. But I'm still afraid to let my sims eat cheesecake (Sims2) or the Berry equivalent in Sims 4 during the pregnancy.
  • Options
    cchant86cchant86 Posts: 221 Member
    Never
    I like randomness in my game and love the surprise.