Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

how do i play the sims 3?

just recently got given the sims 3 & a bunch of expansions as a gift and i have no clue what i'm doing
i can go through cas but the gameplay is just so?? confusing??
please help-
c22f90da185c99d211adfff586bffe45.png

Comments

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited January 2021
    What things did you find them confusing exactly? You control them, check their motives, go to Map view by pressing M, direct your sims to visit other lot, it's basically the same like Sims 4. do what you usually do in sims 4.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • capturethemagiccapturethemagic Posts: 249 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    What things did you find them confusing exactly? You control them, check their motives, go to Map view by pressing M, direct your sims to visit other lot, it's basically the same like Sims 4. do what you usually do in sims 4.

the main parts for me are:

how do i get a job
    how do i turn the camera properly
    how do i know what to do with children and kids
    how do i make sure my sims don't die
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    You use the paper that gets delivered every morning to get a job, or a computer.

You have to get used to TS3 camera controls because they're different from TS4. I use a mouse myself and click the mouse wheel while moving the mouse to rotate.

I'm not quite sure what you mean with the others. You look at motives and fulfill them so they don't die.
    edited January 2021

how do i get a job

1. To get a job you will receive a daily newspaper by a paperboy/girl in the morning, click on it and there is an option for job vacancy, not every job is available from newspaper and they will randomly rotate, another alternative is through computer that you can buy at buy mode or library has a spare one you can use, or there are several rabbithole building on the map with red Icon, if your sims want to work as a doctor you need to click on the hospital and there is an option for you to join the career, if you want to bs police officer go to the police station.

2. To turn the camera, hold right click mouse and move your mouse left, right, forward or backward. In addition you can use > < on your keyboard

3. For children and kids they will do atleast some of the interaction that the adult can do, they need to go to school otherwise their grade is falling, the bus will pick them up at around 8am every week day, sometime you will get a pop up to approve field trip, they need to do homework everyday, with generations installed they can pull prank and do mischief, any adult family members in the vicinity will scold them and give them punishment based on the severity oftheir action,you can either left them off the hook or make your sims do chores to get on their parents good side

4. There are several ways for you to prevent your sims from random death, go to the graveyard and find a death flower and keep it at their inventory, whenthey died click on grim reaper to give the flowers, or any household member can practice chess so they will ask reaper on a chess match in exchange for him to resurrect the dying Sims.
    ihavemultiplegamertags

how do i get a job

1. To get a job you will receive a daily newspaper by a paperboy/girl in the morning, click on it and there is an option for job vacancy, not every job is available from newspaper and they will randomly rotate, another alternative is through computer that you can buy at buy mode or library has a spare one you can use, or there are several rabbithole building on the map with red Icon, if your sims want to work as a doctor you need to click on the hospital and there is an option for you to join the career, if you want to bs police officer go to the police station.

2. To turn the camera, hold right click mouse and move your mouse left, right, forward or backward. In addition you can use > < on your keyboard

3. For children and kids they will do atleast some of the interaction that the adult can do, they need to go to school otherwise their grade is falling, the bus will pick them up at around 8am every week day, sometime you will get a pop up to approve field trip, they need to do homework everyday, with generations installed they can pull prank and do mischief, any adult family members in the vicinity will scold them and give them punishment based on the severity oftheir action,you can either left them off the hook or make your sims do chores to get on their parents good side

4. There are several ways for you to prevent your sims from random death, go to the graveyard and find a death flower and keep it at their inventory, whenthey died click on grim reaper to give the flowers, or any household member can practice chess so they will ask reaper on a chess match in exchange for him to resurrect the dying Sims.

oh okayy
    also how do i make kids do homework?

• PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
    First off, welcome to the sims 3.

To get kids/ teens to do homework, click on their inventory and the homework book and it will say do homework.
    :) Smile!

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    It can't be unusual to see an experienced TS4 player trying to adjust to the magic of TS3 that we all love so much. Are there not any Let's Play YoutTube videos that you guys can suggest to demonstrate some of the more basic gameplay elements for someone just starting out?

My suggestion would be to take a look at Carl's Guide. There is a TON of information and many guides on the TS3 sections of that site ranging from how to accomplish everyday mundane activities through the various features that the EPs and store worlds offer, way up to the much more obscure and perhaps not very intuitive elements of the game. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    Puddinroy wrote: »
    First off, welcome to the sims 3.

To get kids/ teens to do homework, click on their inventory and the homework book and it will say do homework.

okay good to know theres just one problem
    my child doesnt HAVE any homework-

• Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    Then your kid gets to slide until tomorrow. :mrgreen:

Watch his inventory tomorrow after school. Chances are you'll come across a little blue book that looks like it's sitting on the ground flat in the thumbnail in the kid's inventory. That's the homework. You click on that.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~

Watch his inventory tomorrow after school. Chances are you'll come across a little blue book that looks like it's sitting on the ground flat in the thumbnail in the kid's inventory. That's the homework. You click on that.

could it be bc i haven't sent them to school yet?

They will have homework book after first day of school, you can even do homework while your sims is at school by picking selectable options.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member

...that could very well be it... :mrgreen:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member

how do i get a job

There are several ways to get a job. It can depend on which expansions you haven.

As some have already said, you can find jobs advertised in the newspaper but I gave up on that early on in my game playing.
    I usually do one of two things. If it is a rabbit hole job my sim is after I click on the rabbit hole and check the menu and see what jobs apply. Each rabbit hole has one or more professions, you sim can join any of them at any time. They will usually start at level 1.

If you have Ambitions, or some later Expansions, you can have a self employed sim. You use the phone to become self employed. The professions that are available to a sim on the phone depend on the sim's skill levels in various skills. They will have to go to the City Hall to sign up for a self employed career. You might be able to do it by clicking on City Hall instead of the phone, but I've never checked as I always use the phone. Professions can include gardening, fishing, painting, and the list just goes on.

Some expansions have additional careers such as ghost hunter. I can't think of others but there are a lot of them.

With the camera issues. At first I struggled with that. If you go into Options to the third tab from the left - General Game Options. At the top is a check box for Edge Scrolling. If you put a check in that box you can look anywhere in the world by moving the mouse or the Up Down Left Right arrow keys. The <> keys will spin the world around. If you want to get a screen shot use the tab key and Q key to go down or the E key to go up. There are a lot of other keyboard controls as well. I usually just use the mouse but sometimes the keyboard controls are useful. If you're placing a house on a lot, for example, you can use the <> keys to spin the world around so you can fully see what part of the build is facing the front.

Children and toddlers etc are just like other sims. They have needs that need to be fulfilled. Children have wishes. I've developed a routine for toddlers but you don't have to do it my way. What I do is I make sure some teen or older teaches them to walk, talk and potty. Even plant sim toddlers need to learn to potty. They also have to get to level 3 in the xylophone and peg box. Then I get my toddlers to sit on the floor and read the 9 toddler skill books. A lot of people prefer to have a child, teen or older sim to read to the toddler as that improves the relationship between the toddler and the sim reading to them. Once the toddler has learned walk, talk and potty plus has read a few of the skill books they can age up and you can choose a trait for them. I always make them read all 9 skill books. I don't know what the minimum number of books is. Toddlers will often stop reading a book about 1 second before they get to the end of it. If they haven't finished the book fully you won't get any benefit from them reading it. Sending them to the library to read their books get the books read in a few seconds each.

Children need to do their homework and go to school with highly satisfied needs to do well. Once a child has learned both childhood skills and gets to grade A at school they can age up to teen and you can choose their new trait. Otherwise the game gives them their new trait randomly. I usually get my children started with fishing, writing and other skills too. If they've read their toddler skill books their skills start at level 3 in cooking, handiness, writing and other skills depending on toddler books read. Child skills are cooking on the toy oven and blocks on the activity table. When they age to teen they will start cooking and handiness skills at level 3 if they've completed their cooking and blocks. Unless they've had the use of the playpen as a toddler and have played with the abacus or the walker. Abacus and walker advance logic and handiness skills to whatever level they get to by use of the playpen or walker. Additionally, if the toddler has friends they can improve their charisma skill by playing with the mirror in the playpen. The highest I've had a toddler advance in charisma so far is to level 7 but it takes a really long time and probably isn't worth the trouble. Putting two toddlers together in the playpen will keep their needs high. If they play peek-a-boo together their friendship builds and helps them improve their charisma skill. They can also learn to talk with the mirror in the playpen if you don't want another sim to take the time to teach them. And they can learn to walk with the walker if you don't want another sim to teach them.

There is no way of stopping sims from dying. But you can reduce their chances of unplanned. Death. Keep their needs high and make sure they have a shower if they get singed before they have another go at doing whatever it was they were doing when they got singed. Don't let them fix the dishwasher if there is a puddle of water in front of it. If you do they will die. Electrocution - quite a dramatic death but it is usually deadly. If you really don't want a sim to die ever, then turn off aging and give them the unlucky trait. Grim won't take an unlucky sim as he feels sorry for them.

There is a potion and an elixir that can make a sim young again. Returns them to the start of the Young Adult life stage.

Karritz wrote: »

how do i get a job

There are several ways to get a job. It can depend on which expansions you haven.

As some have already said, you can find jobs advertised in the newspaper but I gave up on that early on in my game playing.
    I usually do one of two things. If it is a rabbit hole job my sim is after I click on the rabbit hole and check the menu and see what jobs apply. Each rabbit hole has one or more professions, you sim can join any of them at any time. They will usually start at level 1.

If you have Ambitions, or some later Expansions, you can have a self employed sim. You use the phone to become self employed. The professions that are available to a sim on the phone depend on the sim's skill levels in various skills. They will have to go to the City Hall to sign up for a self employed career. You might be able to do it by clicking on City Hall instead of the phone, but I've never checked as I always use the phone. Professions can include gardening, fishing, painting, and the list just goes on.

Some expansions have additional careers such as ghost hunter. I can't think of others but there are a lot of them.

With the camera issues. At first I struggled with that. If you go into Options to the third tab from the left - General Game Options. At the top is a check box for Edge Scrolling. If you put a check in that box you can look anywhere in the world by moving the mouse or the Up Down Left Right arrow keys. The <> keys will spin the world around. If you want to get a screen shot use the tab key and Q key to go down or the E key to go up. There are a lot of other keyboard controls as well. I usually just use the mouse but sometimes the keyboard controls are useful. If you're placing a house on a lot, for example, you can use the <> keys to spin the world around so you can fully see what part of the build is facing the front.

Children and toddlers etc are just like other sims. They have needs that need to be fulfilled. Children have wishes. I've developed a routine for toddlers but you don't have to do it my way. What I do is I make sure some teen or older teaches them to walk, talk and potty. Even plant sim toddlers need to learn to potty. They also have to get to level 3 in the xylophone and peg box. Then I get my toddlers to sit on the floor and read the 9 toddler skill books. A lot of people prefer to have a child, teen or older sim to read to the toddler as that improves the relationship between the toddler and the sim reading to them. Once the toddler has learned walk, talk and potty plus has read a few of the skill books they can age up and you can choose a trait for them. I always make them read all 9 skill books. I don't know what the minimum number of books is. Toddlers will often stop reading a book about 1 second before they get to the end of it. If they haven't finished the book fully you won't get any benefit from them reading it. Sending them to the library to read their books get the books read in a few seconds each.

Children need to do their homework and go to school with highly satisfied needs to do well. Once a child has learned both childhood skills and gets to grade A at school they can age up to teen and you can choose their new trait. Otherwise the game gives them their new trait randomly. I usually get my children started with fishing, writing and other skills too. If they've read their toddler skill books their skills start at level 3 in cooking, handiness, writing and other skills depending on toddler books read. Child skills are cooking on the toy oven and blocks on the activity table. When they age to teen they will start cooking and handiness skills at level 3 if they've completed their cooking and blocks. Unless they've had the use of the playpen as a toddler and have played with the abacus or the walker. Abacus and walker advance logic and handiness skills to whatever level they get to by use of the playpen or walker. Additionally, if the toddler has friends they can improve their charisma skill by playing with the mirror in the playpen. The highest I've had a toddler advance in charisma so far is to level 7 but it takes a really long time and probably isn't worth the trouble. Putting two toddlers together in the playpen will keep their needs high. If they play peek-a-boo together their friendship builds and helps them improve their charisma skill. They can also learn to talk with the mirror in the playpen if you don't want another sim to take the time to teach them. And they can learn to walk with the walker if you don't want another sim to teach them.

There is no way of stopping sims from dying. But you can reduce their chances of unplanned. Death. Keep their needs high and make sure they have a shower if they get singed before they have another go at doing whatever it was they were doing when they got singed. Don't let them fix the dishwasher if there is a puddle of water in front of it. If you do they will die. Electrocution - quite a dramatic death but it is usually deadly. If you really don't want a sim to die ever, then turn off aging and give them the unlucky trait. Grim won't take an unlucky sim as he feels sorry for them.

There is a potion and an elixir that can make a sim young again. Returns them to the start of the Young Adult life stage.

oh jeez wow thanks
    time to put this into a tts and take notes like some sort of school class xD

p.s. how do the needs work? like i look at the needs tab but they just look strange? oh and i cant click on the toilet too btw
    The toilet might be broken or maybe the active sim can't do anything with it. If it's a toddler or baby for example then they can't interact with it. My game is shut down now as I'm about to turn the computer off for the day so I can't check easily.

The needs differ depending on the type of sim. Ordinary human sims have hunger need - fix it by eating something, hygiene need is fixed by having a shower or a bath, social need requires some social interactions etc. If you hover over the needs it will tell you what you can do to fix the situation.
  • Emusimmer32Emusimmer32 Posts: 257 Member
    edited January 2021
    igazor wrote: »
    It can't be unusual to see an experienced TS4 player trying to adjust to the magic of TS3 that we all love so much. Are there not any Let's Play YoutTube videos that you guys can suggest to demonstrate some of the more basic gameplay elements for someone just starting out?

My suggestion would be to take a look at Carl's Guide. There is a TON of information and many guides on the TS3 sections of that site ranging from how to accomplish everyday mundane activities through the various features that the EPs and store worlds offer, way up to the much more obscure and perhaps not very intuitive elements of the game. :)

Lifesimmer and pixelades generations playthroughs i liked. Also lifesimmers seasons lp too.

Edit: LPs arent as popular now as they were back then tho so like if u dont want to dont lol, u might be better watching smaller videos instead of hour long playthroughs
    If you're looking for ways people play their games I have a few hundred videos up now that cover a lot of aspects of the game. My videos vary in length from about 10 minutes to up to an hour. Mostly I aim for 30 minutes.

This link will take you to the page showing you my playlists. One playlist has tutorials that vary in length depending on what is being covered.
    https://studio.youtube.com/channel/UCuW44b3uCMtCSaq4gwC8EZg/playlists

This video will give you more info on my channel.
    https://youtu.be/2rFGThdCE2g

If you are after actual walk throughs the Isla Paradiso Bunch Playlist 1 is about them trying to get badges in Island Paradise badges. Mostly they fail. I continued the challenge with Caroline and Friends where I initially had Caroline as a single sim household until she successfully completed all of the Island Paradise badges that can't be achieved with a multi sim household.

Isla Paradiso Bunch Playlist 2 is about walkthroughs of all of the World Adventures tombs.

I hope you are able to find something there that might assist.

Happy Simming