Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help me build my new pc (i'm now choosing desktop components) πŸ˜ŠπŸ™

2...Next

Comments

• OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited January 2021
    I have a laptop and it runs the game smoothly on ultra, but if you want to run it on ultra it's never gonna be cheap and you're gonna be looking more at the gaming PC price. Mine was I think around Β£650 which translates to around $900 which I think is pretty reasonable compared to the amount a lot of people pay, but you're probably not gonna be able to get anything that runs smoothly on ultra for less than that. Possibly desktops could do that for cheaper but I've always used laptops so I'm not sure
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    For all sims packs, I think it's better to have 16GB memory.
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 846 Member
    I've been looking for a laptop to replace my old Acer travelmate which is still running Win 7 Pro. It's a dinosaur, but it runs the game fine on medium settings. I'm not going to argue with the folks who recommend desktops, because they're absolutely right. BUT, playing the Sims is my downtime, and I play in bed. (Not that kind of play in bed, Sims 1 I'm looking at you). Hard to do that with a desktop. So anyway this is the machine I finally decided on:

HP Pavillion 16.1" Gaming Laptop Intel Core i5 8GB Memory NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 512GB SSD + 32GB Optane. I do plan to buy more memory at purchase to bring it up to 16GB. This laptop is currently $900 at Best Buy. The processor isn't the fastest or best, but it's adequate for Sims 4. And that graphics card beats my old one, GeForce 1050, by a country mile.

Laptops do heat up. Big time. If you do decide on a laptop, invest in a good cooling pad. They help a lot.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    I thought this was someone asking us to give them money to buy them a computer 🀣, I was going to write, away and boil your heed and get a job you cheeky plumbob πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Nikkih wrote: Β»
    I thought this was someone asking us to give them money to buy them a computer 🀣, I was going to write, away and boil your heed and get a job you cheeky plumbob πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

It's the second comment i get like this...
    Maybe i have phrased badly and if so i apologise because english isn't my birth language.
    Or maybe that just reflects what people expect from others, and in that case πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited January 2021

Somehow I read this in a Scottish accent...

As for OP, yeah the title actually sounded like some kind of gofundme kind of thing.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    I wrote heed instead of head heres my Scottish slipping up again sorry 🀣 @izecson

Maybe i have phrased badly and if so i apologise because english isn't my birth language.
    Or maybe that just reflects what people expect from others, and in that case πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

A wee tiny bit 🀣 your English is great, your English is definitely better than my French and..... English 😊🀣, I remember there was this couple that wanted people to pay for their holiday πŸ˜‚πŸ™„ @telmarina

A wee tiny bit 🀣 your English is great, your English is definitely better than my French and..... English 😊🀣, I remember there was this couple that wanted people to pay for their holiday πŸ˜‚πŸ™„ @telmarina

It's ok...
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    Wolfium wrote: Β»
    For all sims packs, I think it's better to have 16GB memory.

Yes, 16GB RAM memory is absolutely necessary if you want to run the game with all packs. It lags and takes forever to load with just 4 GB.
  • SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    edited January 2021
    I run sims 4 with all packs except eco lifestyle on max settings on a 500$ Dell Inspiron I got 4 years ago with 8G ram, though I did add a dedicated 2g video card. It runs fine. You don’t need anything fancy.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    I recommend comparing to the Recommended Specs for the Sims 4 rather than the Minimum. If you can get a computer that is above these recommended specs. This will make sure you can run more packs in the future.

I recommend a minimum of 8gb RAM. 4gb DDR4 is still slower than 8gb DDR3. Look at the amount of gb rather than the type.
    I also recommend you get one with a dedicated graphics card. They are much more powerful than intergrated ones. Also a graphics card with at least 4gb of VRam. This will allow you to run other games now and in the future.

You can easily compare specs by typing in google (whatever your computer's processor or graphics card is) vs (Sims 4 recommended processor or graphics card). Eg. AMD Athlon 3000g vs AMD Athlon X 4. This should come up with sites comparing the two and tell you which one is faster. If you know someone good with computers that should help. I had a couple of people I was able to ask and that was a huge help.

Also a SSD is much faster than HDD. I've noticed a huge difference even on the computer's start up time.
    The processor is your most important component. It doesn't matter if your graphics card can run the game on high settings if your processor can't. You need to make sure the processor can handle it. The higher the GHz the better.
    Also a Desktop is much better than a Laptop. I couldn't afford a gaming laptop, but I found a gaming desktop that I could afford. It's a low end gaming one, but it will run most games. Also it was half the price as what a gaming laptop was going to cost me.

I had to get a new computer in October last year. My laptop got really slow and the fan was making a horrible noise so I needed to replace it, but I noticed that in 2020 I was looking at an extra $200 for the equivalent to what I had bought back in 2017. I wanted a definite upgrade and one that would run the game on the highest settings (my laptop ran it on low). I mainly wanted something that would last me a very long time that I could upgrade the parts when they get outdated and replace any broken parts if they break.

My Desktop runs the game very smoothly on Ultra High. I own 5 EPs, 1 GP, and 3 SPs.
    Here are the specs:
    Processor: 3.5GHz AMD Athlon 3000g with Radeon Vega graphics
    RAM: 8GB DIMM RAM
    Graphics: Radeon RX 570 4GB
    Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1080 (monitor)
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
    Hi everyone!
    I've decided to buy desktop parts and build my pc :) if you want to keep helping me choose the parts i'm discussing it here https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/986370/building-a-desktop-give-me-your-opinions-on-the-components-im-considering/p1?new=1

Thank you :)