The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 Has Reached Next Stage in Development! (Unreal Engine)

12345679...Next

Comments

• LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    It’d be cool to see advancements in the future. I wouldn’t want to see super-hyper-realistic styles for the actual Sims, though. It would be sort of creepy (and kind of kill the gentle/sweet charm of the series for me)…. ☹️

I would still want somewhat stylistic style for the sims themselves.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I think the style wouldn't be super hyper realistic but I wonder how ue will allow or improve certain details. Like routing and how sims move around, will it be smoother and cause less problems like simulation lag? I wonder if there will be an improvement on how sims interact with objects. Like picking up a piece of cake, will it actually show the cake being cut and put on a plate instead of it magically appearing. Will sims be able to touch an object to open it instead of swiping their arm?

How about stuff like hair and clothes physics? Will hair flow in the wind? Will clothes change and reshape itself based on body type or a sim sitting on a chair?

And for animations, how can we expect them to improve?

I'm not knowledgeable about unreal engine so I have always wondered how it will change the mechanics or details of the game.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,950 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    I think the style wouldn't be super hyper realistic but I wonder how ue will allow or improve certain details. Like routing and how sims move around, will it be smoother and cause less problems like simulation lag? I wonder if there will be an improvement on how sims interact with objects. Like picking up a piece of cake, will it actually show the cake being cut and put on a plate instead of it magically appearing. Will sims be able to touch an object to open it instead of swiping their arm?

How about stuff like hair and clothes physics? Will hair flow in the wind? Will clothes change and reshape itself based on body type or a sim sitting on a chair?

And for animations, how can we expect them to improve?

I'm not knowledgeable about unreal engine so I have always wondered how it will change the mechanics or details of the game.
    You can google in the engine and see a sample of it probably, I saw one and it is really something!
  • FRENE7ICFRENE7IC Posts: 38 Member
    edited April 2022
    I can’t try this yet as I’m currently putting together a new rig, but I’m curious to know how everyone is getting on with this demo, from the way it looks (how it makes you feel) to the GPU melting performance?

After all, this is the convergence point for discussions in this thread regarding prospective Sims graphical fidelity and this engine, where it’s not just theory anymore but a tangible playable experience on PC.

Precompiled Unreal Engine 5 Matrix PC Demo

Update:
    The demo (could be this specific download) is exhibiting bizarre performance scaling issues.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/txdi5v/the_unreal_engine_5_matrix_demo_is_now_on_pc_kind/
    Post edited by FRENE7IC on
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Oh they did have a livestream about unreal engine 5 and announced a few games that will be using it. They also announced that ue5 is finished or its not in development anymore. I can't remember the exact words lol but I wonder of the sims 5 devs will switch over to using ue5 now. I think recently the job postings have only mentioned ue4 so that seems to be what they are currently using.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • FRENE7ICFRENE7IC Posts: 38 Member
    edited April 2022
    It remains to be seen since a lot of major studios are abandoning the in-house engines they’ve worked with for years and are migrating to UE5. CDPR being the most notable.

Someone mentioned in passing that migrating also streamlines the talent sourcing and hiring process. And when many professionals across the world use the same engine, you don’t have to expend resources training them as you would for a proprietary engine.

Meanwhile, EA has seemingly invested a great deal of time and resources into developing GIBS. Which tells me they are working hard to catch up to UE5 using their own tools.

• ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    Unreal looks nice, but I'm wondering if it might have been a better idea to use something like Gamebryo for a Sims game since it tracks and schedules NPCs on a huge scale so they can live a normal routine. They wake up, eat, go to work-without it being a rabbit hole - go home, do whatever, then go to sleep.