Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 Has Reached Next Stage in Development! (Unreal Engine)

Comments

• Sakia90Sakia90 Posts: 46 Member
    edited January 2021
    they don't know its sims 5 there working on they don't even know if its a sims game

The people they're hiring is for "a Sims game". It's definitely not for Sims 4 as it does not run on Unreal Engine and they're usually specific when hiring for it.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    they don't know its sims 5 there working on they don't even know if its a sims game

@comicsforlife I think it is a Sims game since this is a "Maxis" listing and it is for the Redwood Studio, where the Sims games are being developed. It also doesn't say it's for the Sims 4 (which they normally do, when they want people for the Sims 4) so it's either The Sims 5 or another Sims title.

I do want them to make a sims 5 but its been forever since we had a spin off or it could be sims city or spore or a new sims online
    that way sims 5 wouldn't have to be online I really don't want sims 5 to be online and I really don't want grant to be the lead for the game
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited January 2021
    Well I think it's been in pre-production for awhile now, if the job posting from 2018 is anything to go by:

Character Modeler- Maxis
    Notice
    This position is no longer open.
    Requisition Number:151939
    Date Opened:2018-08-07

Character Modeler– Maxis

Maxis is looking for an Character Modeler for an exciting new game in the best-selling Sims franchise. Do you have excellent modeling and texturing abilities for games? Do you have a passion for creating real-world fashion in a 3D game? Are you able to take direction but work independently when needed to make the best games you possibly can?

If so, then we may have a job for you. We’re a small team now and are growing rapidly. Apply today and join us!

Responsibilities

Create, model, UV, and texture fashion assets such as t-shirts, jeans, jackets, shoes, etc. in a realistic style to a high level of aesthetic quality.
    Participate in meetings with producers, designers, engineers and animators to understand the functional requirements and constraints of characters and how they need to be created.
    Participate in reviews with the Art Director to improve aesthetic consistency and overall look.
    Should be knowledgeable and comfortable in the creation and use of normal maps, specular maps, and generating AO maps.
    Trouble shoot and problem solve assets that are not functioning properly in game. Coordinate with animators and engineers to resolve issues quickly and efficiently.
    Provide project management team with accurate estimates for scheduling work and deadlines
    Be able to come up with concepts and provide basic concept art for some fashion in conjunction with the Art Director.

Requirements

Excellent modeling and texturing skills on clothing assets
    3+ years modeling experience using Maya for game development
    Strong technical abilities and understanding of game development pipeline issues including a clear understanding of how art creation affects engine performance
    Be able to follow art direction and work from concept art when available
    Creative thinker and problem solver that can work independently if necessary
    Excellent communication skills and an ability to work effectively with producers, designers, engineers as well as other artists.
    Well organized and able to commit to and meet deadlines.
    PC Game development experience required
    Understanding of fashion & clothing construction is a plus
    Understanding of basic animation and how animators work is a plus.
    Understanding and familiarity with rigging in Maya preferred
    A portfolio demonstrating the following is required:
    Excellent 3D models in Maya
    Excellent Texturing and UV skills
    Ability to create low-mid poly models consistently
    Traditional drawing and painting skills
    Strong aesthetic sensitivity to lighting for form and shadow
    Excellent sense of scale and composition in 3D

https://ea.gr8people.com/?method=cappportal.showJob&opportunityID=151939&sysLayoutID=122

I'm still leary about the online aspect of it. But, I am definitely still excited and interested in it, especially the one statement about creating game assets in a "realistic style". I'm really done with the cartoon/pixar look of TS4 and ready for a change.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Im eagerly waiting for E3 2021, maybe S5 prototype or trailer will be shown there.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited January 2021
    do you guys think the announcement for sims 5 will be in a sims 4 pack they did that in sims 3 I hope so
    Post edited by comicsforlife on
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    i do not know
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    do you guys think the announcement for sims 5 will be in a sims 4 pack they did that in sims 3 I hope so

@comicsforlife Yeah I totally think they will include some kind of easter egg in the packs but after the official announcement. They did it with the Sims 2 FreeTime I think or was it Apartment Life?
    And the Sims 3 Into the Future had Sims 4 Easter eggs.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited January 2021
    Simburian wrote: »
    If it's online and anything like their new co-op game for two couch or an online friend player, "It takes two" from Hazelight, many Simmers are going to have to get a new computer as 8 minimum, 16 Gig is recommended for that. Also it needs 50 Gig of space. (It comes out on the 26th March this year.)

https://www.ea.com/games/it-takes-two/pc-system-requirements

@Simburian Actually since the 64Bit update the game doesn't allow 32Bit systems and 64Bit systems usually already have 6GB or 8GB of RAM so it's not that much.
    When it comes to the hard drive space you will need there can be no comparison made to other games. There are multiplayer games that require 10GB and some that require 250GB. It all depends on what the game is.

Making a game Co-op or multiplayer doesn't mean it won't be able to run on lower systems. There are excellent examples of games like SMITE that are multiplayer and their requirements are ridiculously low.
    I don't think we can make any assumptions about the system requirements for the sims 5 already but one thing that is guaranteed, the Sims 5 will need a better system than the Sims 4.

Writing as someone who recently played all Sims 4 packs on a laptop with 8 Gig memory and only a hard drive I can report that the difference in playing Sims 4 now with 16 Gig memory and on the SSD plus NVidia RTX 2080Super is enormous so anyone wanting to play on a low specification gig should be advised to upgrade or stop complaining if they buy Sims 5.

EA does more than hint at this with its recommended specifications for the new game I mentioned coming out in March and that is probably on the Unreal engine too.

That new game looks amusing & enjoyable and I wish that it could be played by one person only. Shame.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited January 2021
    This part scares me dmE5YBh

Cant show for some reason but here is the link. https://simscommunity.info/2021/01/25/maxis-is-preparing-development-for-the-sims-5s-create-a-sim/
    It talks about subscription in there.

Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member

Cant show for some reason but here is the link. https://simscommunity.info/2021/01/25/maxis-is-preparing-development-for-the-sims-5s-create-a-sim/

That does not sound good at all
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited January 2021

Very interesting, subscription based does not necessarily have to mean bad... depends what they are talking about, maybe they want to offer more through EA play.

I really like that they are interested in someone that have knowledge of popular Sims Community mods and Custom Content. The sims5 will most likely have mod support then.

Which also means that always online may not be a thing after all, mods and custom content does not really go well with online multiplayer.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    I also wish theyd make another forum area for Sims 5 posts instead of sims 4 speculation or franchise. We need our own subcategory.

I don’t think there will be a Sims 5 subcategory on the official Sims forum until its existence is officially announced. Otherwise it’s like officially telling us that Sims 5 is a reality. Right now it’s speculation only.

Although I’m confident about a new Sims title being in development as we speak, I don’t think we’ll be seeing its release until 1-2 years time.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I also wish theyd make another forum area for Sims 5 posts instead of sims 4 speculation or franchise. We need our own subcategory.

I don’t think there will be a Sims 5 subcategory on the official Sims forum until its existence is officially announced. Otherwise it’s like officially telling us that Sims 5 is a reality. Right now it’s speculation only.

Although I’m confident about a new Sims title being in development as we speak, I don’t think we’ll be seeing its release until 1-2 years time.

Exactly @CAPTAIN_NXR7 It was the same with the Sims 4. The new category came really when the game was announced. Everyone already knew of its existence but the forums don't have categories for TBA games.
    It's a bummer we cannot talk about the Sims 5 in any other category though. This category has really low participation and the conversations end up being one-sided 'cause it's always the same 10 people commenting but yeah it would be annoying to post in the Sims 4 forums.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 it might be sooner than you think things might go faster than we see those info show up so i estimate that they announce the sims 5 around summer of this year and that future sims4 packs might start giving us hints on the sims5 with possible realise end 2021 early 2022
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

If theyre hiring people to work on TS5 for CAS already that sounds like reality to me 😂 but I can imagine a TS5 forum section is coming soon :)
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member

@comicsforlife Yeah I totally think they will include some kind of easter egg in the packs but after the official announcement. They did it with the Sims 2 FreeTime I think or was it Apartment Life?

I forget which pack it was, but TS2 sims could play TS3 on their computers at some point, before TS3 was released. Also forget if it was just there or one of the games to purchase. That was ages ago.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

If theyre hiring people to work on TS5 for CAS already that sounds like reality to me 😂 but I can imagine a TS5 forum section is coming soon :)

Maybe we get a CAS Demo later this year or early next to try out like we did for TS4. ;) Seems character building would come last so maybe they are closer to wraping things up if they haven't changed directions since 2017.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Maybe we get a CAS Demo later this year or early next to try out like we did for TS4. ;) Seems character building would come last so maybe they are closer to wraping things up if they haven't changed directions since 2017.

I doubt it. On the other hand, nearly everything for TS4 is perpetually on sale on Origin these days. So maybe.
    edited February 2021
    Epic (the creator of Unreal Engine) released a demo today of their MetaHuman Creator. Which is a browser-based app that lets developers and creators create real-time 3D character models in "less than an hour." and bring them to life through animation (like Maya for example like Maxis uses) or motion capture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3F1vZYpH8c

Definitely reminds me of CAS in the sims. I wonder if Maxis could have use of this when building their sims5 prototype. I'm not sure this level of detail would be possible in a sims game but who knows?
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Epic (the creator of Unreal Engine) released a demo today of their MetaHuman Creator. Which is a browser-based app that lets developers and creators create real-time 3D character models in "less than an hour." and bring them to life through animation (like Maya for example like Maxis uses) or motion capture.

Definitely reminds me of CAS in the sims. I wonder if Maxis could have use of this when building their sims5 prototype. I'm not sure this level of detail would be possible in a sims game but who knows?

Those realistic characters look so creepy. Too real looking for my liking.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

I agree! And, I'm a non-cartoony lover, but I don't want my sims to look like "real" people just less cartoony than what TS4 is. I would feel horrible if my sim die when looking so realistic.

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

Looks like "Last of Us" level of realistic. I think Maxis wants The Sims 5 to have a stylized/semi-realistic look though to match its sense of humor - not completely realistic. But I think it's nice that the MetaHuman Creator can make things easier for designers!

edited February 2021

Looks like "Last of Us" level of realistic. I think Maxis wants The Sims 5 to have a stylized/semi-realistic look though to match its sense of humor - not completely realistic. But I think it's nice that the MetaHuman Creator can make things easier for designers!

That was my impression too, i don't think they will be going for something that realistic looking, it's not going to match the style or run that well in an engine that needs to support a build mode as well. But I thought it was interesting to see epic creating a tool that might help Maxis a lot with making content for the sims 5.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member

I forget which pack it was, but TS2 sims could play TS3 on their computers at some point, before TS3 was released. Also forget if it was just there or one of the games to purchase. That was ages ago.

It must have been the second to last EP or SP. It had a flyer for Apartment Life and added an npc that would drop a computer at new households' doorsteps. That unlocked the Sims 3 game to play, the sims didn't need to buy it.
    I remember this because I thought I wouldn't need to buy Apartment Life if Sims 3 was around the corner. Two EPs into Sims 3 I rushed into the store, got a copy of Apartment Life and returned to Sims 2.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

When I first looked at that picture I wondered why anyone would want to pee on him. :)