Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

DeanXeL's Basegame Builds and building tips/building around glitches :)

Comments

• DeanXeLDeanXeL Posts: 289 Member
    Thank you so much rosemow :)
    edited June 2021
    Another new build I finished today, super proud of this one :)

"On the Hill" basegame

Link to full slideshow

0AqWPRw.png
    ZPlAxVc.png
    1OsmO7l.png

How it is done
    So basically, I used a lot of basement windows, which I explained earlier, but here is a video tutorial. The wall next to the staircase outside is also built using the same principle. This is the only way to effectively build a wall "hugging" a slope rather than cutting through it.

The second part is the overhang on the garage, which I used to create the illusion that the garage floor is lower than it actually is. This was done by elevating a roof part, wall facing OUTWARD and placing it in the upper part of the garage opening (also much like the basement windows, but with a floating roof part, as explained in this youtube video.
    Post edited by DeanXeL on
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    On the Hill is a lovely mid century modern family home! :) The sloping hill and the garage looks creatively great! Very nice exterior design and calming wood walls. The flowerboxes and the flower bed are pretty! The pool patio is very nice! Very lovely and stylish furnishing of the interior! The open plan layout of the kitchen, dining and living room is very nice and lovely black, purple and white colors. Very nice sofa seating areas for sims to enjoy sitting and relaxing whilst watching tv, listening to piano music and having drinks from the bar. The kitchen design is lovely! Very nice white wall tiling and the patterned flooring looks great! The garage is great to use as a converted pantry! Very nice design, furnishing and differing colours of each of the bedrooms.
    It is a very nice home for a family! :)
    thank you as always rosemow! Love your positive energy :)
  • eufleufl Posts: 64 Member
    This is really a great building. I am not able to build modern structures, I always fail. And while I don´t know exactly, how you did build the garage door, I can imagine the structure behind. Like I said, clever done, and such a garage room is so useful even without working cars, maybe for a tabletennistable, for a woodworking station...
    Wonderful house, and I especially love the clear lines of this structure.
    @eufl I forgot to put the pictures of the floor overviews, if you look at those from the gallery pictures (or download the structure and look at it), I am pretty sure it will all look a lot more logical. In short, the bottom part of the garage (where the "door" hits the floor) is a gap filled with pieces of roof, wall side turned outwards, sort of a faux-foundation, then there is the main floor, which runs all the way up to the roof. However, the top part the "door" is also filled in with a floating piece of roof (walls turned outside) to create the lower overhang on the door.

Thank you so much for the nice comment :) I think garages just add to the homey, real life feel of the builds
  • orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    These are excellent contemporary builds. All of these are cool and awesome and you didn’t even need any of the 40 DLC’s! You are hella creative and skilled! :heart:
    @orenjiAi Thank you so much :D Such a nice remark to get :) I do think NOT having the packs increases creativity a bit. I actually do have the money for it and I actually have been thinking about getting at least some packs (even if it is just to have some glass dividers and differently shaped windows x.X But I am pretty proud of the fact that I know in advance that every single thing I make can be used by everyone and will look exactly the same when downloaded (unless maybe some of the old builds with a WHOLE bunch of MOO where I forgot to test what happened when DL-ing ^_^'
    edited June 2021
    I firgured this one is long overdue, but I also cover it in my video:

How to EDIT buildings with the 'special roof' treatment? (overhang, drawings on facade, diagonal roof edges etc.) If you just start remodeling the inside of the buildings, the roof parts will disappear. (Only for adding/removing/editing rooms, fences etc. So only STRUCTURAL changes, redecorating is no problem)

1) A few examples of these 'special' roofs (how it is built, I explained earlier). If you add a wall inside the structure somewhere, you can easily see which roofs disappear!
    OvxgEy7.png

2) Pull the roof parts completely out of the house, they cannot touch the main structure anymore. Keep in mind, this means: no being present below overhanging platforms, no floating above decks, no diagonal touching to any of these either! For the pulling, just use the arrows to make the roof parts wider and then make them smaller again once outside.
    2aQAYs4.png

3) Edit the building to your liking and afterwards drag the roofs back to their original place.
    Iz819mz.png
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    Hello again, thank you so much for your essay! I have not had time to try your tips yet, just wanted to say I did read and was happy and grateful. I really like your build of negative space, it is wonderful, so elegant and satisfying to the sense of volumes.
    I was very curious, how you did build some of the structures of your last house. I must say, I´ve learned some new tricks while looking at it ingame... I´ll never be the one to build contemporary houses, and I alsso struggle with decorating this way. So again I can only say, i´m stunned. And you may be right, if you say, working with only a few packs increases creativity. I use a lot of debug items, but I rarely change them in a way like you do, simply cause there I have so many more items to build with. And that is a big fail, I really should look on them in a different way more often, and make indeed cool looking furniture out of posts and such... :D
    But sometimes, I can´t withstand. I disliked this StarWars addon a lot but there was this round bar... And now I am really often using items from this pack, really often, even in this diner...
    @Auroraskies thank you so much and nice to see you again! Yeah I did some building in the meantime :D Had some great fun with it too! If ever you need another essay, just shout! :)

@eufl I often have the same issue with more classical builds, it feels uncomfortable somehow and I struggle with it a lot... What are you talking about furniture made out of posts.... *shiftyeyes* *hides builds* I would CLEARLY... never do that.... :open_mouth:
    I love making stuff out of nothing, however, the hard part has been not losing functionality. I ended up uploading some non-functional, little functional and glitchy-surfaced things and actually, I am not super proud of those. I mean, they're part of the learning process, but I try to restrict myself lately to stuff that remain functional and have no glitchy surfaces. I prefer having it that way if I were to play with it myself :) Clearly... this limits me even more, so I have to take stuff even further lol.... Still contemplating weekly or so if I should not get SOME packs at least though xD
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    Oh, thank you! What a lovely offer. Now I need to hurry up doing my reading!
    @DeanXeL , I would indeed recommend to buy a few packs. The most of them are available for only a few bucks now, and I never would have paid the full price for a game, that does only work with mods. Even the simulation itself is buggy and needs a fix to not lag.

You should check intensively, what items come with wich packs, and wether you really think, they can improve your buildings or not. I mean, changing furniture and such is something, a player will always do, but a reasonable design, and a good eye for style is, what a building makes a nice one. It´s too sad, that there is no option to look at debug items before you own a pack. But as you mostly build modern, contemporary houses, I would say: Take a look at some of the stuff packs. I think, it´s possible to at least have a look at the usual items before buying the packs.

But I can easily talk about that, I own everything exept the buggy dust set and the new clothing (for clothing I still prefer CC, to be honest). I had a really hard start with Sims 4, when it was released, and most of the features, Sims games should have, were deeply missed, and not only by me. So I threw it away, and -luckily - last year I started again. If the packs weren´t available for only little money (Sims 3 packs are still more expensive), I never would have found my way into this game.
    Now I have really fun playing it, and so I eventually started also building lots for it. And like you say about yourself, I am still learning a lot, and every build is an improvement.

Btw. it was fun to see, that you did build the basement for your house in the old fashioned way like in the older games. It has one big advantage, as your basement stays as a sunken first floor, and so one can look from the basement into the sky. I changed from that to the basement tool, after I saw, that it´s indeed possible to create a basement under a foundation, and I like to be able to build them in the exactly same size like the building above. But - you can´t look from down there into the first floor, that view is impossible, cause Maxis forgot to implement it, another broken feature. Only the most players never use TAB to visit their homes, so they never see that.

But enough for now, I wish you happy simming and will stay curious, what will come next.
    @eufl If I would get packs, I already know that city living, spa day, moschino and laundry day would be packs that I would love to have. They would give me the most to work with. I already did the work on that :p I am just a bit reluctant cause I kinda know that once I get them, I will want to use the stuff all of the time and people who don't own the packs will not be able to get the same effect with the builds :)

The only reason for me to build the basement 'the old fashioned way's is cause you can't lift a basement over the ground but you can sink a floor into it. I wanted a partially sunken basement... Basement windows and a view are only possible with a floor, not a basement sadly ...
  • NeashaleighNeashaleigh Posts: 760 Member
    These are amazing and so creative :smile:
    ~o Sapphire o~
    Gallery
    Thank you so much! :)
    Thank you Bree ^_^
    edited April 2021
    Finally finished my crazy project: An apartment building with 12 different apartments! (11 unique). Thanx to @Duvelina for asking for an apartment, it gave me this insane idea xD

Link to slideshow: There are many many pictures :O

1SJSmDH.png
    SFikEcC.png
    edited April 2021
    Your modern apartment build is so very great! :) Very lovely exterior design, great glass roofing and the layout of the interior is very great! The furnishing, design and colours of each apartment are so very great! It is such a very detailed build with so many apartments! The car park and outdoors dining, bbq and kids play area is very nice.
    It is a very creatively great build ! :)
    The link is causing an issue though. I used this link though and was able to access the photos,
    https://imgur.com/gallery/Rvyfqgl
  • BellaBerryCafeBellaBerryCafe Posts: 22 Member
    I love the design of your apartment/building!! It's very modern and beautiful!! Very nice work 😍👏
    @BellaBerryCafe Thank you so much, took me a few weeks to finish all of the different apartments :) I am very happy with how it turned out ^_^
    I just finished my latest build: Mid-century basegame

Link to slideshow

XxR4Hw1.png
    Rrhw2Tu.png

the house is an open plan, modern decorated house with 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and a pool area with custom created (fully functional and NoCC) kitchen. Yes I forgot to add like 2 things in the build and yes I also forgot to replace one of the doors, it was a long day x.X
    Mid Century basegame is a lovely home! :) Very nice mid century modern exterior design, and the glass windows are great for nice outdoors views. The pool and outdoors kitchen patio is very nice! The water fountains along pool edges are pretty! Sims will enjoy cooking on the bbq and dining outdoors in the sunshine, or relax on the loungers. Very nice open plan layout and furnishing of the interior! The blue, black and white colors are very nice. The windows tv corner nook is very nice for sims to enjoy sitting on the sofa watching tv and listening to gramophone music in the sunlight. The fireplace is great! Very nice kitchen design and the pattered wall tiling gives a nice look to the area. Very lovely bedrooms! The differing shades of blue colour in bedroom 1 and 2, and the black colour of the master bedroom is very nice. Sims will enjoy playing the piano in the master bedroom.
    It is a very nice family home :)