Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why can't the concept of high school be more inclusive?

Comments

• Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Snowy Escape has School Uniforms.

Is that exclusive to SE?
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    ▪Set school hours (American school is normally 7-4ish, but doesnt France like have a huge area in the middle of the day when school is closed then opens again in the evening? And in Japan kids go to school Sat?
    In Australia it can vary. 9-3:30 is pretty common, but there are schools that start at 8:30, and I think there are some that are trialing the recommended hours for secondary school, which is 10am-4pm. I think there have been schools in the UK who have also trialed this concept.

There's also the issue with homework. Not all schools have it, some have heaps, some have just a bit of reading.

But in a game where they wont even allow you to create your own neighborhood or world what can you expect?
    One can be hopeful.

Some schools I went to had heavy homework. One school was textbook free just worksheets and lectures, and we used our macbooks to do online assignments. I also had fridays off every week which was our elearning day, so you just did a few assingments online. I also finished up my credits early by doing extra work after school and graduated 6 months early doing that.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Unfortunately, yes.
  • Options
    carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    carpe_diem wrote: »
    Its an American game so im not surprised many elements are American even if it has an international audience. I don't expect Japanese games to include every culture either but its nice when they include aspects of mine or others. There are some nonamerican worlds, foods, dresses/clothes, festivals, mythical creatures etc Its not completely American. Not to mention any CC or mods you use. But why not share what specifically you want to see? I know I really want to see a Chinese or African inspired world personally.

This right here but also when they did try to go cultural a little it also had backlash celebrating latino/hispanic heritage month they didn't like the clothing or it only got a variety and not all culture also just recently with the snowy escape it had some backlash where a group got offended which something had to be pulled from the game. The thing is I'm all for being cultural but you got to really know what your doing aka research nowadays to not offend anyone with anything.

"American" high school is cultural.
    Thus, they should avoid that, and go generic, with flexible options.

It's cultural but it's safe since they know what and how Highschool is out here they may go the safe route in my opinion they shouldn't put "American" Highschool but that's what was on the survey I just want an Education pack for teens and kids.

I also want an Education pack, but gave it quite low points in the survey because of the focus on american culture. EA telling us they want to be inclusive, so lets include some new cultures/worlds.

EA has been doing new world's since sims 2 we had what looked like China and Hawaii in Sims 3 we had Egypt and Etc and everyone was okay for the most part as far as I know but since they put culture in it like I said above they should research so they won't offend I would love new world's and culture but not if it offends people even go as far as removing something from the game.

Good point, 100% agreeing with you.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Snowy Escape has School Uniforms.

I don't have that pack.
    What type of uniform are they?

This is what a lot of Aussie school uniforms look like
    uniform_p6_pictures.jpg

And many more look more like this, because it's economical for families.

15965532_632581396927318_276288489486564469_n.jpg
    Kmart-Clothing-Deals-9-Jan-5-Feb-2020.jpg
    aaaaa.PNG

Globally, there is a fair bit of variation in school uniforms.

227px-Going_to_High_School.jpg
    242px-Trio_of_Muslim_Girls_in_Street_-_Srimangal_-_Sylhet_Division_-_Bangladesh_%2812950725824%29.jpg
    220px-JfCalabaSanIsidroNuevaEcijaRosaryParishHighSchoolfvf_08.JPG
    800px-Dorking_Schoolgirls_Patiently_Waiting_For_Mum_%286258299657%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    The entire school system is off in Sims. Students should get the Summer off. Seriously.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Metaphasic wrote: »
    The entire school system is off in Sims. Students should get the Summer off. Seriously.

I second this.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    edited February 2021
    well personally I would not be interested in active school pack

(as I hated every second of attending one myself)

but also to note not all schools even do school uniforms so option of kids just wearing their own clothes would be nice

and option for kiddos to be homeschooled and not go to school would be nice cause... there aint school in sixam

id also like if they brought back private school thing from like ts2 where the headmaster whatever would inspect your house and stuff and then accept or decline your sims applying and then if theyre accepted they be taken to private school

and your sims get to enjoy blissful child free life until they age up and come home with better skills and whatever depending on which school you chose

oh and yeah optional summer off be useful
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    well personally I would not be interested in active school pack

(as I hated every second of attending one myself)

but also to note not all schools even do school uniforms so option of kids just wearing their own clothes would be nice

and option for kiddos to be homeschooled and not go to school would be nice cause... there aint school in sixam

id also like if they brought back private school thing from like ts2 where the headmaster whatever would inspect your house and stuff and then accept or decline your sims applying and then if theyre accepted they be taken to private school

and your sims get to enjoy blissful child free life until they age up and come home with better skills and whatever depending on which school you chose

oh and yeah optional summer off be useful

I'm not actually sure if I'd want active school or not. But I wanted to address the bolded part, because YES!

I'd be okay with there being an option for school uniforms. But where I'm from, you only saw uniforms in either a catholic or private school. Most public schools didn't have them at all and people just wore their own clothes.

If they ever do a school pack though, they better have cliques (or an option to have them at least) more after school activities, and school dances (with the option of one of them being prom.) Otherwise, I have no interest in a pack like this.
  • Options
    I'd be okay with there being an option for school uniforms. But where I'm from, you only saw uniforms in either a catholic or private school. Most public schools didn't have them at all and people just wore their own clothes.
    It needs more than just uniforms/no uniforms.
    Every school in this city has it's own uniform. It means that if you see kids out and about during the day, you know exactly which school they're from, so if they're misbehaving, you can report them to their school.
    The options need to be:
    • Casual/everyday
    • Strict uniform/private school uniform.
    • Casual uniform
    • Economical uniform
    • Player set uniform.
    The player should also be able to set the colours of the preset uniform styles.
    Or make the uniform options completely player controlled, similar to the restaurant uniforms.

If they ever do a school pack though, they better have cliques (or an option to have them at least) more after school activities, and school dances (with the option of one of them being prom.) Otherwise, I have no interest in a pack like this.
    Why should one option be for prom? Why shouldn't it just be completely player controlled?
    Why not have the option to set a school dance for each season, and you be able to name it, set the dress code, set a theme (if you want one). Choose if there is to be a dj, or a band, or just use wall speakers. Choose if dinner is included, or if it's just a cocktail buffet, or just a bar, or just a punch fountain.
    We'd also need the option of choosing the location. Would it be at the school? Or would it be on a community lot?

More options are better to enable players to create a more unique event.
  • Options
    I always though it was weird that the children/teens weren't allowed a Summer, Winter & Spring Break in Sims 4.
    Sims 3 always had that.
  • Options
    I always though it was weird that the children/teens weren't allowed a Summer, Winter & Spring Break in Sims 4.
    Sims 3 always had that.

No Autumn break? How odd.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Sims 3 always had that.

What's autumn break?
  • Options
    Sims 3 always had that.

What's autumn break?

What's spring break?

We have 4 breaks during the educational year, 3 of them are 2 weeks long.
    The first is in April (Autumn)
    The second in July (Winter)
    The third in September/October (Spring)
    The fourth is the long one, from mid December, to the end of January (Summer)
  • Options
    cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    @MeowchaFrappe I agree i think they should break back private school from the sims 2 and let headmaster inspect your sims home and decide if your child should be allowed to enroll or not into private school. his desicions hould be competely based on your home and how well your sims play host/hostess

@Movotti I'm going to try and clear up the confusion. i'm going to assumer @PlayerSinger2010 is from America, like me.

So the confusion comes from the season's being different so your Autumn break in April would be our spring break, so in Amercian schools we have 4 major breaks like you...

April (spring break normally get a week-2 off for Easter holiday, I believe college/university students get their own spring break or just a longer one)
    June (summer break schools close around June 18th-20th, depending on snow days, and are off until mid august-early September, this depends on your state. This also signifies the end of a school year and when they reopen it's the start of a new school year.)
    November (Autumn break about a week for thanksgiving)
    December (Winter break, in my state schools close Dec. 23rd-Jan. 1st and reopen on Jan. 2nd)

• Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Without Seasons, Sims don't really have a "summer" to break. (or a Spring, Autumn, or Winter for that matter)

Ideally, the School pack would add an option to create one if you have seasons, or otherwise work one in ... though as on Normal Life kids are only kids for like 13 days, I'm not sure what would be the best way to work that in, as it would potentially handicap the school progression of any kid (or teen) who had the break making up a substantial part of that life stage. Maybe a 2-day break/3 or 4-day long weekend every other week? (As I've said on other threads, everything needs to be balanced against Normal Life Span because they can't assume that everyone is playing on Long/aging off.)
  • Options
    @cmbaker16 Thank you!
    That does clear it up a bit.
    Your breaks seem a little erratic. Your autumn and winter breaks seem very short, and very close together. How do your school terms work?

Our terms are generally about 10 weeks in length, with 2 week breaks between them, and a 6 week break at the end of the year (literal year, and school year).
    Easter this year, will be before the school break, so some people may give their kids an extended holiday.
    Throughout the year, we have about 2 weeks worth of public holidays too, some of them fall during the school breaks, others are during the term.

DaWaterRat wrote: »
    though as on Normal Life kids are only kids for like 13 days
    Not even a child for a year.
    Their life stage would have to be at least a year in length for the school breaks to make sense.
    Then again perhaps having child and teen life stages being a year long would make some sort of sense. For balance, young adult stage would need to be about 2 years, and adults at least 4.

everything needs to be balanced against Normal Life Span because they can't assume that everyone is playing on Long/aging off.)
    Or normal span needs to be a bit longer, or seasons shorter.

• Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Build your skills and no need to waste it on a education. My Sims worked hard and made it to the top of there job without a fancy piece of paper.
  • Options
    I don't remember an Autumn Break for children/teens in Sims 3. What is an Autumn Break anyways?
  • Options
    What is an Autumn Break anyways?
    It's not called that, but there is a break in Autumn, it comes at the end of term 1, in April. This year, it starts the weekend after Easter, and ends the weekend of ANZAC day.

• Options
    cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    edited February 2021
    @Movotti Yea our school breaks are a bit weird, so our school year is broken into marking periods and each marking period is about 6 weeks. We also don't get a break in-between the marking periods instead we just get two half days of schooling than the next marking period starts. We also get public holidays but I've no idea how many weeks worth it is but we have a few. So for us school runs from mid-august/early September to June and the break from June to mid-august/early September is the big break and end of the school year.

This is mainly for elementary students(ages 5-10/11), Middle schoolers (ages 12-14), and high schoolers (15-18) I believe the breaks and marking periods are a bit different for college/university students, I think they get longer breaks for some and not as many public holidays as the younger students.

You know children and teens really didn't get a break from school in 3, if it was really hot you got a message about school being closed(which does happen where I live, if it gets really hot before the big summer break they will close school for the day if they don't have A/C or fans to keep the students cool) and in winter the sims 3 had snow days....oh yea hmm....in 4 we don't get snow days for the kids i guess that's why they gave us a calendar? I mean we can always put a snow day on the calendar as a holiday and select no school/work and give the kids a day off or two for snow if it snows a lot. For me I just consider the holiday their time off cause I play on normal life span and if i tried to do a somewhat realistic holiday break my sims would never go to school :joy:

I do hope they give us an option for school uniforms or at least a way to get our sims into private school, I liked having the headmaster from sims 2 come over and try and please him so the sim kids could get into private school. sometimes I even had the sim kids play host to the headmaster except dinner I left that to the parents unless the kid was a teen and had cooking skill levels lol.

or to give us school options if they don't let us go to school with the child/teen sims than I hope they give us like an enroll option on the phone or computer we could select enroll child and a menu pops-up and we can choose if the school we enroll them in is public or private. Than we can be asked about the uniform and have the different clothing categories. I mean all clothing categories so if say someone wanted to enroll their sim into a private school that wears formal wear as the uniform they can do that...or if someone wants to be silly and send their sim kids to a public school who wears sleepwear as the uniform they can do that. Than maybe we get another page that'll let us select the type activities that happen in the school year like maybe someone wants to go to prom than they could select prom on the options and maybe some other school dances but there also be other things on the list like bake sales, and sport competitions and the player can select which activities/dances will happen during that sims school and if they have another child they can enroll them and could choose different options if you want it to seem like both kids go to different schools.

I think it be interesting to follow my sim kids/teens to school but I'm not really too fussed if it doesn't happen I'd just like more of a sense of what kind of school my sim kid goes too.

and I just thought of this there could also be a menu with a list of classes(skills) and you could pick which ones your child/teen(maybe more for teens) attend and depending on how your child/teen does in the school day they'll get some skill gain or a skill point. At the end of each week, they could get a option to change classes like university.

• Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,882 Member
    edited February 2021
    @Simmingal @Dannydanbo @TruthGamer96
    For now, anyone who wants to homeschool can do this:
    Select the child sim

open console (ctrl+shift+c)
    testingcheats true
    careers.remove_career Gradeschool

You should get this notification
    school-cecilia-has-quit.png

If you have other child sims, you can leave the console open, select the next child, and type careers.remove_career Gradeschool for them too.

Then they will not be enrolled in school and you can keep them home and teach them mental and creativity to your heart's content, then head over to the park so they can run around and meet other kids, as is important for all homeschoolers ;)

The only annoying thing is that anytime you travel to another lot, or save and re-enter the game, they will automatically be re-enrolled in school. So you do have to do the cheat codes each time you change lots or open the game. Including on the weekends, or you get a "child neglect" notification from having F grades.

There is probably a mod that will permanently remove school, but so far I prefer to play without mods so I don't know about them.

• Options
    Well, here in Canada we have Spring Break around Easter, Summer Break for July/August, Winter Break around Christmas.
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited February 2021
    Build your skills and no need to waste it on a education. My Sims worked hard and made it to the top of there job without a fancy piece of paper.

In the US, EVERYBODY needs either a high school diploma or a GED (general equivalency diploma) to get a job. Not sure if that is the same in other countries. An exception to that, I suppose, is those who are incapable for medical reasons, such as brain injuries, from working most jobs, and they don't have to complete high school, but they are most often paid below minimum wage. Of course, anyone (including those who have not completed their naturalization) can own and run a business in the United States, whether it be construction, delivery, insurance sales, or multi-level marketing (Amway and Mary Kay, I'm looking at you). Otherwise, we would have no corporations owned or even partially owned (including stock shares) by anyone who lived outside the US.

On the other hand, many can and do find high paying jobs or have more skills, knowledge, and start-up capital going in when they start their own businesses, whether or not they completed formal university education. And from my degree in business, I know it requires a confident attitude, sales and people skills, and startup funds to successfully start and run a business. Apprenticeships also do not require formal education credits.

So there definitely is a difference here between high school and college education. However, it is also possible for motivated students with supportive parents to study online from home, as this epidemic has shown, including grade school and high school education. It is harder for those under age 12 however, because they are not able to learn social skills online. Plus there are a lot of other skills taught in school that can be studied online easily: science, history, geology, math, literature, foreign languages, diversity training, psychology, sociology, home economics, computer programming, typing (I took 2 typing classes when I was in 8th grade and 12th grade respectively),
    and even sex ed (not recommended to learn this one online for obvious reasons: hello NetNanny).

I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    Well, here in Canada we have Spring Break around Easter, Summer Break for July/August, Winter Break around Christmas.

That's only 3 breaks?
    How many terms do you have?
    Our year is usually broken into 4 terms and 2 semesters (each having 2 terms).

In the US, EVERYBODY needs either a high school diploma or a GED (general equivalency diploma) to get a job. Not sure if that is the same in other countries.
    In Australia, to leave school, I think we only have to complete year 10, and be 17 or older.
    You can start work at 15.
    Apprenticeships also do not require formal education credits.
    Apprenticeships are a part of the education system here.