Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why can't the concept of high school be more inclusive?

MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
edited January 2021 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Why "American" highschool?

Why not French? Or Japanese? Or Australian?

Why not a flexible, player controlled one? Why not allow the player the controls to make one that suits their own game?
AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
Post edited by Movotti on

Comments

• Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited January 2021
    Its an American game so im not surprised many elements are American even if it has an international audience. I don't expect Japanese games to include every culture either but its nice when they include aspects of mine or others. There are some nonamerican worlds, foods, dresses/clothes, festivals, mythical creatures etc Its not completely American. Not to mention any CC or mods you use. But why not share what specifically you want to see? I know I really want to see a Chinese or African inspired world personally.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    @StrawberryYogurt Sure, it's an american game, but there was talk about trying to make it more inclusive.

What I want is more flexibility. Why not have a High School, no country attached? Allow the player to control what it has, and how it works?

Let the player dictate the school hours, let the player dictate if it is to be a private school or not, let the player choose the dress code.
    Let us have multiple options, and fewer restrictions.
    Don't force cheerleader, sports, or proms on everyone. Let them be controllable options.
    Let there be a school dance, where the player can choose the dress code, the player decides if there is a band, a dj, or just a regular stereo. Let the player dictate the catering, whether it be a full sit down meal, or a cocktail buffet, or just a bar for drinks, or a table with a punch bowl.
    Let the player decide what sort of dance it is. Call it a prom if you want, call it a blue light disco if that's your vibe.

Let a player have a supernatural midnight college for teens, with a strict dress code, a school formal featuring a string quartet, and the vampire waltz. With the only sport being croquet, and cheerleaders are for dinner. Where pottery class is on a Tuesday, and Fridays are formal, and homework is only on Wednesdays.

Let the player choose if there is a cafeteria, a tuck shop, or it's just BYO for lunch. Let the player choose if the the food served is pizza and chips, or frogs-legs, and cream of cauliflower soup.
  • Options
    School uniforms need to be an option.

From this sort of thing

uniform-set-500x500.png

To the more basic styles, that are in 'school colours'

aaaaa.PNG

• Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    As nice as any more control would be, we cannot even pick the seasons in our game which was something we could do in the past. The developers' "why not" will probably be the usual game limitations thing.

Granted, I am with you on customization. I want it in spades, but I do feel 4 has taken quite the step back in the God game genre.
  • Options
    OliwkaWidmoOliwkaWidmo Posts: 45 Member
    I don't have every expansion pack - is there much to high school in the game, other than going there, doing homework, school projects and having an acting club? I don't think that's too American, sounds pretty much like my Eastern European high school experience, and I feel it's generic enough to be quite universal.

I think the school customization would be a bit much, it's not a school simulator and it's impossible to have everything in the game.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I don't want schools. I don't want to follow the kiddies to class.

I'd rather add a Home Schooling feature where your sim can opt their kids/teens out of public/private school and teach them from home. That, IMO, sounds more doable and reasonable and fun. You won't need a school lot somewhere in your game (or on a magic lot that doesn't show up on the map-I'm talking about you hospital, police station and lab), just add a few desks, a black/dry erase board and (I don't what one needs to teach from home, so, use your imagination).
  • Options
    TruthGamer96TruthGamer96 Posts: 123 Member
    edited January 2021
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

I'd rather add a Home Schooling feature where your sim can opt their kids/teens out of public/private school and teach them from home. That, IMO, sounds more doable and reasonable and fun. You won't need a school lot somewhere in your game (or on a magic lot that doesn't show up on the map-I'm talking about you hospital, police station and lab), just add a few desks, a black/dry erase board and (I don't what one needs to teach from home, so, use your imagination).

I keep saying this but I am dying for a homeschooling option, particularly in the case of my Decades challenge. I think I'll make a threat about it with my ideas of how it could work, as a former homeschooler myself.

*Thread! Not threat! No worries EA, I'm not *that* desperate for homeschooling.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

I keep saying this but I am dying for a homeschooling option, particularly in the case of my Decades challenge. I think I'll make a threat about it with my ideas of how it could work, as a former homeschooler myself.

*Thread! Not threat! No worries EA, I'm not *that* desperate for homeschooling.

Pretty funny having a spelling error in a post about homeschooling. :D

I hope you do start that thread, I'd like ti read it.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Its an American game so im not surprised many elements are American even if it has an international audience. I don't expect Japanese games to include every culture either but its nice when they include aspects of mine or others. There are some nonamerican worlds, foods, dresses/clothes, festivals, mythical creatures etc Its not completely American. Not to mention any CC or mods you use. But why not share what specifically you want to see? I know I really want to see a Chinese or African inspired world personally.

This right here but also when they did try to go cultural a little it also had backlash celebrating latino/hispanic heritage month they didn't like the clothing or it only got a variety and not all culture also just recently with the snowy escape it had some backlash where a group got offended which something had to be pulled from the game. The thing is I'm all for being cultural but you got to really know what your doing aka research nowadays to not offend anyone with anything.
  • Options
    Briana2425 wrote: »

This right here but also when they did try to go cultural a little it also had backlash celebrating latino/hispanic heritage month they didn't like the clothing or it only got a variety and not all culture also just recently with the snowy escape it had some backlash where a group got offended which something had to be pulled from the game. The thing is I'm all for being cultural but you got to really know what your doing aka research nowadays to not offend anyone with anything.

"American" high school is cultural.
    Thus, they should avoid that, and go generic, with flexible options.
  • Options
    Movotti wrote: »

It's cultural but it's safe since they know what and how Highschool is out here they may go the safe route in my opinion they shouldn't put "American" Highschool but that's what was on the survey I just want an Education pack for teens and kids.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member

Lol if anyone finds anything culturally offensive in an American highschool made in an American game in America where disney alone has hundreds of American highschool shows it's a sign of the times 😂😆
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Well, America is Capitalism after all.
  • Options
    carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member

It's cultural but it's safe since they know what and how Highschool is out here they may go the safe route in my opinion they shouldn't put "American" Highschool but that's what was on the survey I just want an Education pack for teens and kids.

I also want an Education pack, but gave it quite low points in the survey because of the focus on american culture. EA telling us they want to be inclusive, so lets include some new cultures/worlds.

• Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    As long as there are school dances and more after school activities, I'm ready to roll with whatever else the Education/School pack looks like. I certainly don't need it to look like my American High School experience. Heck, I might like it better if it didn't. (And I'm not actually that fussed about School dances. I went to two out of the 10 formal dances I could have attended in high school, and one of those I was there as a bodyguard.)
  • Options
    smilepandasmilepanda Posts: 101 Member
    It would be nice if a high school pack could have features that you can control based on what is normal for you or your sims. I am very used to wearing uniform at school which isn't American I believe so if they made it a pack, I would like to see that as an option. Having grammar schools where you have to pass a test to get in would be a cool feature as well.
  • Options
    carpe_diem wrote: »

I also want an Education pack, but gave it quite low points in the survey because of the focus on american culture. EA telling us they want to be inclusive, so lets include some new cultures/worlds.

EA has been doing new world's since sims 2 we had what looked like China and Hawaii in Sims 3 we had Egypt and Etc and everyone was okay for the most part as far as I know but since they put culture in it like I said above they should research so they won't offend I would love new world's and culture but not if it offends people even go as far as removing something from the game.
  • Options

EA has been doing new world's since sims 2 we had what looked like China and Hawaii in Sims 3 we had Egypt and Etc and everyone was okay for the most part as far as I know but since they put culture in it like I said above they should research so they won't offend I would love new world's and culture but not if it offends people even go as far as removing something from the game.

I don't think you're quite understanding what this thread is asking for.

This isn't about asking ea to create other cultural settings. It's asking for the player to be given the controls, to be given a wide variety of options, so that individually, we can create what is relevant to us. It's about making the game more of a sandbox, and less of a rigid dollhouse.

Flexible options reduce the risk of offending. Player control over the options reduces the risk of offence even further. And in all, multiple, flexible player controlled options would vastly increase inclusivity.
  • Options

Oh yes I hate that. Im in no way supportive of the censorship or the twittercancelling. Ugh. Im happy for any cultural updates.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    smilepanda wrote: »
    It would be nice if a high school pack could have features that you can control based on what is normal for you or your sims. I am very used to wearing uniform at school which isn't American I believe so if they made it a pack, I would like to see that as an option. Having grammar schools where you have to pass a test to get in would be a cool feature as well.

I do love the idea of the school uniform. It is American in some areas, but not as cute as other countries. Most that require uniform are a basic navy or tan khaki, skirt and polo top. None of the frills, bows, or fancy of other uniforms unless its a special kind of school.

Your average American school uniform:
    kids-in-uniforms.png

American Rich kids schools or religious schools:
    c898497b89af2265a6b871e127e1db29.jpg

Itd be really nice to set your own school uniform. Or having two elementary and two highschools and they each have their own uniforms. Then when your sims play sports theyd play against eachother. And could have school cliques. Ok the American High School gp does sound fun actually 😂

• Options

I don't think you're quite understanding what this thread is asking for.

This isn't about asking ea to create other cultural settings. It's asking for the player to be given the controls, to be given a wide variety of options, so that individually, we can create what is relevant to us. It's about making the game more of a sandbox, and less of a rigid dollhouse.

Flexible options reduce the risk of offending. Player control over the options reduces the risk of offence even further. And in all, multiple, flexible player controlled options would vastly increase inclusivity.

I do like the way that sounds. Its different from how Sims approaches things but id love to see it. Sims struggles between a life simulator and a sandbox. I think they had the right idea with the club feature.

How id like to see it:
    Create A School:
    ▪Toddler, Child, or Teen school?
    ▪Uniform? Y/N and customize
    ▪Private or public school?
    ▪Set school hours (American school is normally 7-4ish, but doesnt France like have a huge area in the middle of the day when school is closed then opens again in the evening? And in Japan kids go to school Sat?
    ▪Set any school festivals/traditions (or create your own)

But in a game where they wont even allow you to create your own neighborhood or world what can you expect?

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Snowy Escape has School Uniforms.
  • Options
    ▪Set school hours (American school is normally 7-4ish, but doesnt France like have a huge area in the middle of the day when school is closed then opens again in the evening? And in Japan kids go to school Sat?
    In Australia it can vary. 9-3:30 is pretty common, but there are schools that start at 8:30, and I think there are some that are trialing the recommended hours for secondary school, which is 10am-4pm. I think there have been schools in the UK who have also trialed this concept.

There's also the issue with homework. Not all schools have it, some have heaps, some have just a bit of reading.

But in a game where they wont even allow you to create your own neighborhood or world what can you expect?
    One can be hopeful.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member

It depends heavily on the district or region, I think for US schools, because my HS was 8-3:30 (so was my daughter's, which was a different district but in the same area.)

I mean, I was getting to school in the 7-7:30 range, but that's because that's when my dad would drop me off on his way to work.
  • Options
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

It depends heavily on the district or region, I think for US schools, because my HS was 8-3:30 (so was my daughter's, which was a different district but in the same area.)

I mean, I was getting to school in the 7-7:30 range, but that's because that's when my dad would drop me off on his way to work.

Yeah it was hard to set my range 😂 Some schools begin as early as 7 and some end as late as 4 is probably how ai should've worded it.