January 21: Today is patch day! 😃 To read the patch notes, click here!
January 15 - Is everyone ready for the Friday Highlights? Check them out here.
Welcome to all new Simmers joining us over the holiday season! 🎉 Have fun on the forum and please make sure you check out the forum rules and
the rules about necroposting.

Is it just me or is Sims Spark'd a bit cringeworthy?

nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,094 Member
Admittedly, I'm not a reality TV fan. But from the clip I saw on youtube... everything about this show was a bit painful and awkward to watch. I only saw some weird storytelling segment were they had to improv a real estate agent for a busted Sims house. What is the point of this show? Is it popular? If so why? Would love to hear from fans who can detail its merits as much as anyone who agrees with me.

Comments

• OliwkaWidmoOliwkaWidmo Posts: 39 Member
    I don't think it was popular. And yeah, it's pretty cringy. I think the problem was that they tried to make it more intense/reality tv dramatic, to appeal to wider audience, but if somebody doesn't care about The Sims, they won't find it entertaining anyway, and if somebody does care, all that manufactured drama will just seem extremely silly.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 1,837 Member
    edited January 8
    No, the show never really took off. The first episode barely surpassed 1 million views and all the other episodes all currently stand below 400k views.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 2,810 Member
    Personally, I prefer to watch the Youtubers: Deligracy, James Turner, Plumbella, Englishsimmer & Vixella.
    The Spark'd Show was just too boring.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,364 Member
    a bit? it's an unnecessary & expensive circus that has no reason to be other than embarrass the sims franchise.
    my english is bad
  • adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,978 Member
    i couldn't even get past the 1st episode bcz of how cringy it was. i get the idea but i found it a bit too dull ig
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,069 Member
    the whole idea was cringeworthy.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 732 Member
    I still wonder why someone thought this was a good idea. Everytime I see reality shows with a focus on "nerdy" pastimes, it often falls flat on its face and only succeeds in making the community behind it look like odd balls. And the sims is the LAST game you'd put into any kind of competitive context.

If I wanna watch stuff directly tied to my nerdy interests, Ive got the internet. Ive got people I follow that know their audience and tailor content for their audience. Not a tv network trying to be "relatable".
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 6,533 Member
    TV lately is just the worst. So out of touch, so...lacking-in-intrinsic-intelligence (since I can't say it any more succinctly on the forum). I wanted to like it but was left feeling like "huh?"
    Lefty, ginger, red/green color impaired, inverted-Y gamer, alien crawling under human skin.
  • prettyprettyplumbobprettyprettyplumbob Posts: 178 Member
    I was really excited for Spark'd, but the way they set it up was definitely cringey.

As we all know, it can take MANY, MANY hours to create impressive builds, stories, etc. They would give creators like 30 minutes--which lead to understandably underwhelming results. Nothing was creative or inspiring. They also forced them to work on teams, which just dulled the creative process even further. It was so hard to take any of it seriously. I watch a lot of the creators who they featured on their respective youtube channels, and a lot of them are talented players with interesting personalities--- and none of that came through. They all seemed to take Spark'd as a joke because it was set-up to be one.

Plus, there's the sad added truth that there's only so much you can bring to the game without any CC at all. I really tried to sit through it all, but in the end I never did.
  • telmarinatelmarina Posts: 3,242 Member
    It's enough to say that sims 4 won the 'sit and relax' steam award... It's a game to sit and relax, not for competition... even when playing a challenge it's still not a game about competition.
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 92 Member
    I saw all four episodes, it was underwhelming.
    One, I've seen some of the people on it through their YouTube before the show, and they came off as bland on the show.
    They gave the contestants such little time that the stories they came up with were limited or fairly bland. I felt like they were trying to emulate Face Off, Skin Wars, Project Runway when it came to limited time to do something. The Sims really can't do that.
    Plus, they didn't focus on the game really at all, they had a goal, and that was it. It really would have been nice to see them cover the history of the game, and what made up the packs. Like, I was watching them create, and the game looks complete, which it isn't. They don't show the CAS, or anything else. People coming in would come in thinking what you see is what you get, not realizing the cost to get the whole game, and maybe not a clue on how to play the game.
    So, long story short, never again should they do Spark'd.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,513 Member
    It was so ridiculous I don’t even want to talk about it, it would taint me so.

I think they should have invested those resources into their bug forum, instead of relying on unpaid players to manage their issues. It would create a much more favourable impression.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 4,011 Member
    Everything I seen looked cringe worthy from contestants to host besides Ninja Sparkd was a complete mess.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"