Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To everyone complaining about the cuteness...

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Well I know for a fact they dont want to add anything super scary to the sims4 game. Like what if a kid was watching their big brother or sister play and all off the sudden a ghost pops out of the grave and starts attacking the sim because they are upset or whatever. That would be very well, intense.

But watching their brother or sister play a 1st person shooter game with killing and blood wouldn’t?? Minecraft has skeletons shooting arrows, ghasts that blow you up. Shoot, I’m afraid to take my character to the nether world, and witches scare the heck out of me. Kids play Minecraft.... lol.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited April 2021
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    logion wrote: »
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Just a question. How come Sims 4 caters to age 5 to 8?

I could be wrong but I would think it's to reach a wider audience? Because they know the loyal fanbase will buy either way. I really don't like the childish, silly cuteness this game is built on but I'm still playing because there is no alternative anyway. I do really enjoy it but I'm just saying.

Now with the added childish or cute stuff parents would have no problem buying this for their kids. Because everything is happy and non controversial. Seems like a win win from a business perspective.

Yeah I think so too, I think their marketing is trying to reach the next generation, not people who know about the sims but younger people who watch and play games like fortnite and minecraft and doesn't usually buy their packs, but their parents mostly buy it for them. Like their FIFA games.

It's an odd decision because I'm pretty sure that they have admitted that their main audience is 18-24 year olds (with a high female percentage). So they don't target their main audience.

That, or their marketing thinks that this is what they like.

Yeah I read that their audience is 18-24 year olds and 60% of their audience is female.

A former CM for the sims said that with their audience they know they are guaranteed your money, be it at point of release or down the line in a sale. So I guess that’s why they are aiming for children, they know their community might moan at things but will buy it anyway.

It’s interesting, I got a survey via email about the sims 4 from EA. Most of the questions centred around inclusion, diversity and representation and how well I thought sims 4 did in those areas. There was also a section On multiplayer, specifically online competitive multiplayer and what motivated me to play games.
    There was only two questions about game play. “Did I think sims 4 needed all dlc to be enjoyable” and was the base game alone enjoyable. The majority of the survey was how well the game was doing at representing people and multi player.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Journey To Batuu is about as far from Sims 4's main audience as it's possible to get - teenage male Star Wars fans as opposed to women in their 20s and 30s. So no surprise it failed.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    logion wrote: »
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Just a question. How come Sims 4 caters to age 5 to 8?

I could be wrong but I would think it's to reach a wider audience? Because they know the loyal fanbase will buy either way. I really don't like the childish, silly cuteness this game is built on but I'm still playing because there is no alternative anyway. I do really enjoy it but I'm just saying.

Now with the added childish or cute stuff parents would have no problem buying this for their kids. Because everything is happy and non controversial. Seems like a win win from a business perspective.

Yeah I think so too, I think their marketing is trying to reach the next generation, not people who know about the sims but younger people who watch and play games like fortnite and minecraft and doesn't usually buy their packs, but their parents mostly buy it for them. Like their FIFA games.

It's an odd decision because I'm pretty sure that they have admitted that their main audience is 18-24 year olds (with a high female percentage). So they don't target their main audience.

That, or their marketing thinks that this is what they like.

Yeah I read that their audience is 18-24 year olds and 60% of their audience is female.

A former CM for the sims said that with their audience they know they are guaranteed your money, be it at point of release or down the line in a sale. So I guess that’s why they are aiming for children, they know their community might moan at things but will buy it anyway.

It’s interesting, I got a survey via email about the sims 4 from EA. Most of the questions centred around inclusion, diversity and representation and how well I thought sims 4 did in those areas. There was also a section On multiplayer, specifically online competitive multiplayer and what motivated me to play games.
    There was only two questions about game play. “Did I think sims 4 needed all dlc to be enjoyable” and was the base game alone enjoyable. The majority of the survey was how well the game was doing at representing people and multi player.

Wow! I would love to get an email from them like that! LOL
  • Options
    KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 442 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Journey To Batuu is about as far from Sims 4's main audience as it's possible to get - teenage male Star Wars fans as opposed to women in their 20s and 30s. So no surprise it failed.

Yup!
    I started playing The Sims on my first laptop when I was 20 in 2004. I played Sims 2 from 2006-2011 (age 22-27). I played Sims 3 a bit from 2012-2013 but then had a baby IRL and things were busy.

I really started again with Sims 4 in 2018 when I was 34 and my daughter was 3. Now she's 6 and I'm 37 and we cuddle on the couch and make mermaid families.

I will admit that the animations and interactions were more detailed in 2 & 3. But I'm actually ok with it given that some of the really sexual stuff was toned down. It makes it easier to play as a family.

In terms of mature, we have arsonist witches, a dad who married his son's ex girlfriend, juiced enthused mom with an angry trait, and a young gay couple who are homeless and dumpster dive to get by in our save. I feel like the gameplay and potential for storytelling is great.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    The art style belies Pixar, and one of the things they did was make movies about toys, and insects and monsters. This meant these movies didn't age in the early years of CGI.

Part of the art style, I think, helps to prevent the graphics from going out of date like the more realistic graphics of Sims 3. And if the game lags and framerate drops, then it's less obvious on your computer.

All of this means that Sims 4 can last longer as a game.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.