Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can we get the Technophobe lifestyle trait without cheats?

Has anyone managed to get the Technophobe lifestyle? I have no idea what do I have to do to trigger this lifestyle. My sim was living on an off-the-grid lot for weeks doing all the off-the-grid things. However, I haven't seen a message that a hidden lifestyle was in process.
Is it a bug or it's me doing something wrong?

Comments

• Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Most of my sims live off the grid and have done for sims years. None have unlocked technophobe. My scientists trying for technophile got it in a day or two. All of my sims have ''fiddle with your phone in any way' autonomy off.

The tip says to not use electronics and actively break them, but the break option doesn't come up until you already have the trait.
  • Options
    AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    Several of my off the grid sims have it, but it did take awhile and they do not go anywhere else that they could use technology - I emptied the world and am doing like a history challenge starting with cave people. Oddly though - one spouse in a household will have it , but the other will not. None of the children or teens have it yet. I do not use any mods and their phones are still accessible - only my Geek sim tends to use hers once in awhile though.
  • Options
    BrinnBrinn Posts: 327 Member
    edited December 2020
    I think I've found something that prevents our sims from getting the technophobe trait. It can be... reading! I suppose, reading some kind of books (like science fiction) counts as interacting with technology. I'm not quite sure about it, but it can be the reason why gaining this lifestyle points seems so slow and random.
  • Options
    CharityCodesCharityCodes Posts: 56 Member
    edited November 2021
    I'm really sorry for necro posting, but this thread comes up every time I search in Google for the sims 4 technophobe lifestyle.

The way to achieve the technophobe lifestyle without cheating is to make several items daily on the woodworking table. Just living on a lot off-the-grid is not enough to achieve the lifestyle. This is the only reliable way I've found to get it. I was able to do this with a teenager before she aged up on normal lifespan, so it's very quick as well.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    @CharityCodes Thank you I appreciate your post.

The lifestyles seem to require active doing instead of just passively not doing something. For example my sim is currently in danger of loosing her indoorsy lifestyle because she's hibernating in her coffin (inside a house).
  • Options
    GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    I'm really sorry for necro posting, but this thread comes up every time I search in Google for the sims 4 technophobe lifestyle.

The way to achieve the technophobe lifestyle without cheating is to make several items daily on the woodworking table. Just living on a lot off-the-grid is not enough to achieve the lifestyle. This is the only reliable way I've found to get it. I was able to do this with a teenager before she aged up on normal lifespan, so it's very quick as well.

This thread is less than a year old and you've posted some really helpful information so I don't think it would be considered necroposting at all. :smile:

Thank you so much for this, I'll be trying it when I next play my very outdoorsy Sims family. Do you know if Sims with the Technophobe lifestyle will still autonomously watch TV or use their computers and phones?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    They will autonomously play video games on their phones, but this doesn't seem to penalize them for the lifestyle...so weird. I don't have any power generating devices on the lot, so my computer doesn't work yet and no TV. I mainly use the typewriter (computer) for decoration and access to the MCCC menu. A word of caution though. Being a technophobe and outdoorsy is very hard. The woodworking table also counts as an indoorsy item, so it will negate your progress there. I think if you use it a lot to achieve the technophobe lifestyle and then try to salvage electronic items into parts to maintain it, you might have an easier time. Sabotaging electronic items sort of helps, but you have to actually use the electronic item to break it. It only counts if the item breaks, so sabotaging requires some other sim to use the item or you to suffer through moodlets while your technophobe uses it. You'll have to do a lot of fishing and swimming to keep outdoorsy. Anytime an outdoorsy sim uses the woodworking table, they will get a bored moodlet.
  • Options
    GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    Thank you for your detailed reply, I appreciate it. :smile:
    My main outdoorsy Sim likes to fish and do other outdoorsy things and also seems to enjoy the woodworking table. I might not overdo him on it incase it does start to bore him.

Really, I just wish Sims would autonomously use the woodworking table or go fishing instead of sitting in front if their TV. My other outdoorsy Sim does autonomously tend her garden though. :smile:
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    musteni wrote: »
    @CharityCodes Thank you I appreciate your post.

The lifestyles seem to require active doing instead of just passively not doing something. For example my sim is currently in danger of loosing her indoorsy lifestyle because she's hibernating in her coffin (inside a house).

That's helpful - my Sim got an indoorsy lifestyle while using the weight machine...outside. My Sims also do a lot of huffing and sighing if they have the outdoorsy trait and I send them to read in the garden.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    The location of the item doesn't seem to matter, but the item classification does. I put a wood working table outside and a flower arranging table outside and the outdoorsy sims will still get bored "Trapped Inside" moodlets while using those items. Swimming is a fitness boosting activity and that does count as outdoorsy. It's funny that using a weight machine is indoorsy, but that actually makes sense. If you want to workout and be outdoorsy, you should swim, go jogging or go roller/ice skating maybe.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    The location of the item doesn't seem to matter, but the item classification does. I put a wood working table outside and a flower arranging table outside and the outdoorsy sims will still get bored "Trapped Inside" moodlets while using those items. Swimming is a fitness boosting activity and that does count as outdoorsy. It's funny that using a weight machine is indoorsy, but that actually makes sense. If you want to workout and be outdoorsy, you should swim, go jogging or go roller/ice skating maybe.

I thought it was my gated garden, but that wasn't a problem when they were gardening (which is how they got the lifestyle in the first place.).

Well, little Sim, you're just going to have to suffer. If I say you need to read, you need to read. Don't look at me like that. I know what's best for you.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    Aderyn_BachAderyn_Bach Posts: 1 New Member
    Woodworking for technophobe, if you're trying for technophoebe and outdoorsy, sleep in a tent.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I wish that woodworking wasn't counted as a indoors activity. All the sims that I wanted to focus on woodworking have been the ones in which I wanted to tell a story about a sim tied to the outdoors. Stuck on an island, living out in the woods hermit-style with rabbits for company or something like that. My techie-sims deal just fine in nice apartments in the spice district, they do not need to make their furniture from scratch.

Woodworking for outdoors sims and being able to make a wider selection of furniture. It is a bit strange, I avoid woodworking with the sims that I would like to have it the most because of how it is tagged. Thus those who check activity for how items are used in the game will say. "Jupp, the number show that sims living outdoors in tents or small huts in the woods have little interest in woodworking".

Big sigh.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited February 2022
    Thus those who check activity for how items are used in the game will say. "Jupp, the number show that sims living outdoors in tents or small huts in the woods have little interest in woodworking".

Big sigh.

Yet, interestingly enough, Maxis has shown that one of the most outdoorsy Sims they have made is into woodworking. There's a woodworking bench, outside, at the Hermit's Hut in the Deep Woods. Not at all consistent in their approach on this issue!
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods