Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have a question about teaching toddlers

Hi, yesterday I started a new game with Medina household in Isla Paradiso. I asked Theodore teach to talk to Palmira. It took about 3 days except for feeding and sleeping time. Is that normal? When I was playing with my own sim families, it usually takes about half day to complete each walking and talking. Only thing I can think is my own sims have high levels in many skills and Theodore is not. Would this make any difference?

Comments

• mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    Hi.

I highly doubt the skill of the parent has any thing to do with your toddler ability to learn to talk, as talking isn't a skill in the game. Most likely it has to do with Palmira's ability to learn. Not all Sim learn at the same speed/pace. Just like in life there are those who pick things up quickly and those who seem to take their time. It is the same in the Sims. I know 3 days may seem like a long time to learn a basic skill but maybe for her it isn't.

Normally, my Sim toddlers learn to walk and talk in a single afternoon. However, I have had a few toddlers who took up to two days to teach each skill to. The parents of these toddlers each have level 10 logic with a bit of genius sprinkled in. Palmira is most likely a slow learner (for now). Just keep spending time with her and give her all of the toddler books and skill toys, they will help as she gets older.
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    mw1525 wrote: »
    Hi.

I highly doubt the skill of the parent has any thing to do with your toddler ability to learn to talk, as talking isn't a skill in the game. Most likely it has to do with Palmira's ability to learn. Not all Sim learn at the same speed/pace. Just like in life there are those who pick things up quickly and those who seem to take their time. It is the same in the Sims. I know 3 days may seem like a long time to learn a basic skill but maybe for her it isn't.

Normally, my Sim toddlers learn to walk and talk in a single afternoon. However, I have had a few toddlers who took up to two days to teach each skill to. The parents of these toddlers each have level 10 logic with a bit of genius sprinkled in. Palmira is most likely a slow learner (for now). Just keep spending time with her and give her all of the toddler books and skill toys, they will help as she gets older.

What if the parent sims have skill professor title in Logic skill journal?

The skills in this journal apply to skills which go up to level 10 such as writing, guitar playing, cooking and things like that. It does not apply to toddlers.
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I have found that sims with the Family Oriented trait teach toddlers much faster than those without. Do you normally use that trait in your own sims?
    edited December 2020
    The skills in this journal apply to skills which go up to level 10 such as writing, guitar playing, cooking and things like that. It does not apply to toddlers.

But the toddlers walking, talking are like hidden skills I saw this in MC mod. :)

@Mikezumi No..but they have perfectionist trait. One is bookworm, perfectionist, charisma, unflirty, Athletic, Gatherer and I don't remember the last one. He got 2 more traits from university. The other one has Mean, Great Kisser, Flirty, Perfectionist, Irresistible, and Virtuoso from university.
    Also I had 4 toddlers from Tristan Van Gould in Moonlight Falls. I hadn't changed his traits except for 'vegetarian'. He could finish teaching all their skills include toddler books within a week. But he was mostly skilled around that time.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited December 2020
    There are two factors I know of that influence how quickly a toddler learns life skills. One is whether the sim teaching the skill has the Family Oriented trait, as @Mikezumi mentioned. I don't know how much faster exactly things go, but it seems around twice as fast as normal. The other factor is the mood of the toddler, just as with other skills.

When I have a FO sim teaching a toddler with a maxed out mood bar, the walking and talking skills take around 2.5 hours, not including getting into position. Potty training takes 1.5 attempts. This has been consistent for all toddlers I've ever played with, no variation on time needed. And it's true even if the sim doing the teaching has no logic skills or anything else relevant, and even if that sim has almost no skills at all. I don't remember trying with sims who'd maxed out Logic, but certainly the time hasn't changed at all when a sim is around level 8 in Logic.

It sounds like in this case, either Palmira was in a terrible mood, or something about the save was bugged or glitching. I'd try it again just to see what happens; you can start a new save and run it at ultra speed just to see.
    There are two factors I know of that influence how quickly a toddler learns life skills. One is whether the sim teaching the skill has the Family Oriented trait, as @Mikezumi mentioned. I don't know how much faster exactly things go, but it seems around twice as fast as normal. The other factor is the mood of the toddler, just as with other skills.

When I have a FO sim teaching a toddler with a maxed out mood bar, the walking and talking skills take around 2.5 hours, not including getting into position. Potty training takes 1.5 attempts. This has been consistent for all toddlers I've ever played with, no variation on time needed. And it's true even if the sim doing the teaching has no logic skills or anything else relevant, and even if that sim has almost no skills at all. I don't remember trying with sims who'd maxed out Logic, but certainly the time hasn't changed at all when a sim is around level 8 in Logic.

It sounds like in this case, either Palmira was in a terrible mood, or something about the save was bugged or glitching. I'd try it again just to see what happens; you can start a new save and run it at ultra speed just to see.

Oh..the baby food!! My own sims completed cooking and gardening skill journal. So they usually make perfect quality of food. And they use the blender for making baby food with the leftover in the fridge. The toddlers mostly get +50 to +75 modlet from food. Palmira takes the baby food Theodore makes and it gives only 'good meal' moodlet. Yes her mood meter is always a bit down but not terrible though. I always care toddlers mood meter, so I put the teddy bear into her inventory as well.
    That's ok. I don't mind the long learning time. I'm just curious about this. Thanks! :)

The hidden skills for toddlers are different than the hidden skills for skill building Sims or those with a secret talent (Pyromania). Still, I can understand how Toddler 'hidden' skills could be interpreted this way.

All toddler skills are listed as hidden because (1) they do not have a skill log. And, (2) most of the things they learn as toddlers will not be applied until later on in life when they become children and can actually begin building the skill. If you look at The 'Learn to Talk' & "Learn to Walk' skill in MC you will see they are valued at -0001 (for no, the skill has not been learned) and 0001 (for yes the skill has been learned), that's all it means. Toddlers who aren't taught either skill will still age up as walking talking children.

Of the Hidden (for now) skills they learn, Peg Board turns to Logic Skill and is valued up to 0003 so when the toddler becomes a child they will start logic at level 3 (or the second volume logic book). Same with the xylophone (music), but not the block table, it builds handiness once they become children. Still, the toddlers can play with it. All toddler books have direct hidden skills except Jimmy Sprocket (who is said to have some hidden benefit on writing).

Likewise, there are two things which aren't charted for toddlers and that's the Teddy bear which builds current social needs and later ties into the charisma skill and the Doll House which has a slight affect on charisma when playing as children. Charisma is strictly for when the toddler becomes a teen so there is no need to add them as 'hidden skills'. There's also no pop-up which says 'Since your Sim played with the Doll House they now have level 3 charisma'. A lonely toddler or child who talks/plays with their Teddy Bear will gain instant positive effect on their social level.

These learning levels skills are unlike the ones in the Logic Challenges. Every challenge in that section involves doing a repeated action over a number of times or hours.

The Skill Professor (Logic challenge) is a build-able goal which is achieved after 30 hours of tutoring Sims in various (level 10) skills. Once they have reached this goal, the Sims they tutor or teach skills will learn the skill taught to them at a faster rate. This is why it has no bearing on teaching a toddler to talk or walk.

I hope this helps explain the differences in Hidden Skills and Build-able skills when it comes to learning. :)

All Sims learning is affected by the mood they are in (Toddler-Elder). So, mood is very important. Family Oriented Sims have a more patient/gentle affect on their children in all interactions and are better suited for family related tasks including teaching which they will accomplish faster.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2020
    ^^Wish it didn't have to be this way. It would be awesome if toddlers who never learned how to walk, talk, or potty because no one could be bothered to teach them or they were always in foul moods for whatever reason were to grow up into children, teens, and YAs who don't know how to do these things either.

(carries new sig other into meet family, since they cannot walk on their own yet)
    "Hi everyone, meet the new love of my life! Have some patience with them, they haven't quite learned everything the rest of us more advantaged sims have early in life and there are going to be some awkward oopsie moments!"

Significant other:
    "Ookie-goo!" (and other forms of baby talk)

In much the same way, many of us think that teens who never learned how to drive shouldn't grow up into adults who instantly and instinctively know how. Err, that's not how it works where I come from.

I would also really like to see a Logic Level 10 grown sim formally tutoring (lecturing) other adults on how to use bathroom facilities properly instead of teaching them useless things like science and logic. They could even have Uni level classes on the subject. Not sure I really want to see the object practice sessions on the off-lecture days, though. :)

Okay, but more seriously now. There is one other thing that can affect toddler learning rates, although it's across the board and a bit more obscure. If NRaas Relativity is in play, there are options to throttle or enhance skill gains that many of us who play longer life spans prefer to use. The skills listed that have adjustable skill gain factors include the three hidden toddler skills. Some players might change all of the factors (by selecting them all at once) to something less than 1 so that gains take longer to achieve without realizing they are picking up the toddler skills that way too.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited December 2020
    The hidden skills for toddlers are different than the hidden skills for skill building Sims or those with a secret talent (Pyromania). Still, I can understand how Toddler 'hidden' skills could be interpreted this way.

All toddler skills are listed as hidden because (1) they do not have a skill log. And, (2) most of the things they learn as toddlers will not be applied until later on in life when they become children and can actually begin building the skill. If you look at The 'Learn to Talk' & "Learn to Walk' skill in MC you will see they are valued at -0001 (for no, the skill has not been learned) and 0001 (for yes the skill has been learned), that's all it means. Toddlers who aren't taught either skill will still age up as walking talking children.

Of the Hidden (for now) skills they learn, Peg Board turns to Logic Skill and is valued up to 0003 so when the toddler becomes a child they will start logic at level 3 (or the second volume logic book). Same with the xylophone (music), but not the block table, it builds handiness once they become children. Still, the toddlers can play with it. All toddler books have direct hidden skills except Jimmy Sprocket (who is said to have some hidden benefit on writing).

Likewise, there are two things which aren't charted for toddlers and that's the Teddy bear which builds current social needs and later ties into the charisma skill and the Doll House which has a slight affect on charisma when playing as children. Charisma is strictly for when the toddler becomes a teen so there is no need to add them as 'hidden skills'. There's also no pop-up which says 'Since your Sim played with the Doll House they now have level 3 charisma'. A lonely toddler or child who talks/plays with their Teddy Bear will gain instant positive effect on their social level.

These learning levels skills are unlike the ones in the Logic Challenges. Every challenge in that section involves doing a repeated action over a number of times or hours.

The Skill Professor (Logic challenge) is a build-able goal which is achieved after 30 hours of tutoring Sims in various (level 10) skills. Once they have reached this goal, the Sims they tutor or teach skills will learn the skill taught to them at a faster rate. This is why it has no bearing on teaching a toddler to talk or walk.

I hope this helps explain the differences in Hidden Skills and Build-able skills when it comes to learning. :)

All Sims learning is affected by the mood they are in (Toddler-Elder). So, mood is very important. Family Oriented Sims have a more patient/gentle affect on their children in all interactions and are better suited for family related tasks including teaching which they will accomplish faster.

Yea I know what you mean. :) Eventually, Palmira completed all 3 toddler skills :D I recognized the baby food is getting higher as Theodore makes good food from Natural cook trait, and makes her mood meter getting higher. It was much better to teach skill in the festival park. She has beautiful park and enjoying music moodlet. Theodore played with her a lot before starting to teach skill. Eventually, she learned walking for 5-6 hrs! :D Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate you. :)

@igazor
    Thanks but I don't want to change the skill rates for toddlers :) But...if it is adult sim? then I can use that function. :D It's so much pain building up a lot of skills.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,919 Member
    If you’ve got the Group Science Project and have the green flame going and someone pulls the lever of doom the Sims in the household get the hive mind and can gain skills a lot faster while it lasts.

As for toddler skill books, which also give toddlers a skill boost when the age up, taking toddlers to the library to read their books gets them read a lot faster.
    edited December 2020
    Karritz wrote: »
    If you’ve got the Group Science Project and have the green flame going and someone pulls the lever of doom the Sims in the household get the hive mind and can gain skills a lot faster while it lasts.

As for toddler skill books, which also give toddlers a skill boost when the age up, taking toddlers to the library to read their books gets them read a lot faster.

Yep I know that. I'm about to take her to the library soon! :blush: Thank you.:)
    But does the green flame also raise up the toddler as well?

@Jeansoo - You are very welcome :)!
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,919 Member
    Jeansoo wrote: »

Yep I know that. I'm about to take her to the library soon! :blush: Thank you.:)

I haven't checked specifically if it works for toddlers. I've only used it once.

Actually, the first time I became aware of the green flame doing that was due to a bug. I didn't use the lever of doom, just had a green flame and I noticed the toddlers all maxed their potty skill in one go with the green flame. But I think that was a bug as it isn't supposed to work like that.

When they have the hive mind it sparkles around their heads. I've only done it once and didn't really check to see who learned faster that time. I just wanted to see what happened.
    Jeansoo wrote: »

I haven't checked specifically if it works for toddlers. I've only used it once.

Actually, the first time I became aware of the green flame doing that was due to a bug. I didn't use the lever of doom, just had a green flame and I noticed the toddlers all maxed their potty skill in one go with the green flame. But I think that was a bug as it isn't supposed to work like that.

When they have the hive mind it sparkles around their heads. I've only done it once and didn't really check to see who learned faster that time. I just wanted to see what happened.

Ahh ok thanks. :blush: I can try next time ^^