Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

how much space to leave on a ssd?

adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
dumb question but how much space should i leave on my ssd for the best preofrmance? i have around 85 gigs around rn cuz i have both sims 3 and 4 installed. is that good or will it impact preformance?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2020
    It depends on whether the SSD is also carrying the operating system (Windows) and swap files (virtual memory). Windows needs enough space to maneuver itself and manage its own temp files, then so do the games when they are actually running. Running Win 10 with less than 25-35 GB free (certainly less than 20 GB) would begin to make me nervous. You could probably cut things a bit closer if you have multiple drives and this one is only running the games.

But regardless, 85 GB of free space is plenty.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    The general advice, that I find being given the most, is 7-10%, but the manufacturer have probably done some overprovisioning already. I don't remember how I checked this, but the name of the manufacturer would help.

I do think that such a question is better answered in a forum that is not for a child's game; and there are also plenty of articles floating around about it.

From what I've read, it does seem that the technical development have progressed since the original advise, a couple of years ago, to leave space alone on an ssd for performance and longevity reasons.
    edited December 2020
    There is certainly nothing wrong with seeking 2nd and 3rd opinions from other sources when a question is on the table and then wishing to discuss what might be conflicting answers, and in fact that should be encouraged. But asking a technical question on a Tech Discussions board of a game forum when the question directly involves the performance of that same game is fine. Just because it's a "child's game," that doesn't mean a child or someone with less than adequate experience is necessarily going to answer.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    i have 2 drives a ssd where windows 10 is installed and sims 3 and 4 is installed and a hdd for games but i keep my sims on a ssd cuz the diffrence is so huge and its what i mainly play
    @igazor I did not adress you in my post, and any advise to go elsewhere is made to secure the OP more variety in answers, and is given with good intent. It is also a subtle advise not to take my particular advise as truth, but to always do the research. My posts of doubt are not referring yours in particular, of course.

The game being a child's game is not an insult, but a fact; and said by me it is not meant as an offense - I play the games as well, despite not being the main target consumer, and I do it with joy. That does not hinder me from seeing who the main group is, posting here.

There is no need to contradict every post made on this forum that you do not agree with; as you said, we are all allowed to post, and in our own way.

OP: I have two ssd's; one smaller 250 GB I think, for Windows 10; and one larger, 500 GB I think, for games. I have everything that does not benefit from a ssd on a larger hdd. The ssd's were both overpartioned about 10% when I installed them.

I bought the ssd mainly for TS3, since I read that it benefits greatly from being on one.
    @igazor I did not adress you in my post, and any advise to go elsewhere is made to secure the OP more variety in answers, and is given with good intent. It is also a subtle advise not to take my particular advise as truth, but to always do the research. My posts of doubt are not referring yours in particular, of course.

The game being a child's game is not an insult, but a fact; and said by me it is not meant as an offense - I play the games as well, despite not being the main target consumer, and I do it with joy. That does not hinder me from seeing who the main group is, posting here.

There is no need to contradict every post made on this forum that you do not agree with; as you said, we are all allowed to post, and in our own way.

OP: I have two ssd's; one smaller 250 GB I think, for Windows 10; and one larger, 500 GB I think, for games. I have everything that does not benefit from a ssd on a larger hdd. The ssd's were both overpartioned about 10% when I installed them.

I bought the ssd mainly for TS3, since I read that it benefits greatly from being on one.

yea ssds do wonders for the sims 3 im still impressed by it
    Yes, and I played TS3 base game a couple of years ago on an older 'frankenstein' gaming computer, with Windows Vista and TS3 both installed on a 120 GB SSD, along with a bunch of other programs. (I had no issues; but adding packs did not work so well, but it might have been a combined result of the other computer parts).
    While I now have a different computer to play games, the old one still function for other things.
    It is just an example though.

I have not done any overprovisioning myself on my current gaming computer. But I don’t have a lot of games yet, I also mainly play the sims games.

SSD's are also less pricey now than they have been. That is of course a budget question.
    sims 3 no matter what specs u give it seems to lag alot like im playing on a 1650s and i59400 which should be more than enough for this game and i still get lag spikes sometimes but nat as bad as my old ancient laptop lol.

i followed this guide here https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1131162350 srsly life changer of a guide improves the sims 3 significantly
    I have not done all those fixes, I think the guide might be a little outdated.

I also have not experienced much of what others describe as lag, and cannot advise on that. I am sure someone will come along to do so though.
    I have not done all those fixes, I think the guide might be a little outdated.

I also have not experienced much of what others describe as lag, and cannot advise on that. I am sure someone will come along to do so though.

i mean its still rlly good and does alot to ur game i would still recommend it :)
    Oh, yes, I think some of the points on the list are important and interesting too. :)
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    edited December 2020
    Nevermind
    Post edited by ZeeGee on
    Hello @ZeeGee
    No one is throwing shade on anyone. :)
    edited December 2020
    Appreciate the support, but I claim no special status here and don't wish to be the focus of discussion on this message thread. I believe the focus should be on the player's SSDs and their concern about drive space usage.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    guys its fine its fine im good now but thanks for ur help. i decided to just keep the sims 3 on my ssd and sims 4 on my hdd although the load times suck ill stilll live its not bad but thanks!
  • TamijoTamijo Posts: 1,072 Member

Just exactly what is the benefit from running the game at the ssd, as it is I run from hhd and it works fine performance wise.
    The only strange thing is that it consumes a lot, processor, ram and power (making my cooler work hard sometimes), strange for a relative old game.
    My active stories: Appaloosa County..*.. Sinful Sisters.....*.....Earlier stories:..*..Survivors the River..*.. A Memoir of Grace "Slick" Joplin
    @Tamijo - SSDs provide much faster disc read/writes than HDDs. The elements of TS3 that require intense read/writes are the ones that benefit -- game session starts, saves, travel transitions, CAS, Build/Buy, and Pattern (CASt) catalog building, and anything involving caching. Actual gameplay runs from what is already loaded into RAM and won't feel much different either way.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • TamijoTamijo Posts: 1,072 Member
    Thanks a lot - have a fast system but either way I might try, as the builder can sometimes be a bit unstable
    My active stories: Appaloosa County..*.. Sinful Sisters.....*.....Earlier stories:..*..Survivors the River..*.. A Memoir of Grace "Slick" Joplin
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top