Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Never Satisfied.

2...Next

Comments

• Hope8Hope8 Posts: 46 Member
    By the way @haneul I really love your avatar! Such a pretty picture. Sorry that this has nothing to do with the topic lol.
  • morganlefayemorganlefaye Posts: 178 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    I think the developers should have to play TS2 for a month.
    So they can learn how to be irreverent, and how to incorporate it into the game.

I miss the crudeness, I miss the silliness, I miss the ridiculousness, and I miss the darker things.

You know many of them worked on Sims 2, right? Why on Earth would they need to do that?

If they did then they should get a refresher of what sims used to be.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2020
    haneul wrote: »
    So they can learn how to be irreverent, and how to incorporate it into the game.

I miss the crudeness, I miss the silliness, I miss the ridiculousness, and I miss the darker things.

You know many of them worked on Sims 2, right? Why on Earth would they need to do that?

And how to make in depth game play, the little details that add up to an immersive game, real personalities for sims, wants & fears, an honest memory system, an attraction system, worlds with many lots, worlds with functioning cars...

I hate to say this, but I think a lot of Simmers who played Sims 2 overestimate that game's current value. Sims 4 is a more successful game than Sims 2. Financially, the Sims 4 is doing well and people like it. A lot of the systems in Sims 2 (like memories) probably won't work well in Sims 4 without causing serious bloat and memories corrupted some saves in Sims 2. Regardless, because the Sims 4 is doing well, I think the developers don't see why they should make the game more like 2, especially when it comes to memories and wants/fears.

But you gave up so much in 2 and 3 just to play TS4 with it's infamous bugs, shoddy programming, and closed world system, and lack gameplay and creativity for so many players in so many areas that one wonders why even buy TS4 when it wouldn't even be able to handle a memory system like in TS2. Memories don't corrupt TS2, players do.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • motdkmotdk Posts: 208 Member
    I miss those days when I corrupted the sims 2. But sims4 is indeed a fast food restaurant, that just can't get my order right every time. Give me a gift card already!
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    While it may be successful, popular, and profitable by appealing to those with low expectations, it's still an inferior game in terms of gameplay quality, at least for those who know what it was like before. They are different games, the products of different eras. That 4 runs on an engine not intended for the task its been given doesn't help.

I've played and enjoyed all 4 versions so I know what it was like before. Yet, with 2 and 3 both installed I still prefer and play 4. 🤷‍♂️
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited December 2020

And how to make in depth game play, the little details that add up to an immersive game, real personalities for sims, wants & fears, an honest memory system, an attraction system, worlds with many lots, worlds with functioning cars...

I hate to say this, but I think a lot of Simmers who played Sims 2 overestimate that game's current value. Sims 4 is a more successful game than Sims 2. Financially, the Sims 4 is doing well and people like it. A lot of the systems in Sims 2 (like memories) probably won't work well in Sims 4 without causing serious bloat and memories corrupted some saves in Sims 2. Regardless, because the Sims 4 is doing well, I think the developers don't see why they should make the game more like 2, especially when it comes to memories and wants/fears.

Value in what regard? The most relevant value today is in its quality, and honestly, it has the most of the series when it comes to meaningful and thought out gameplay, depth, Sim intelligence, object interaction, and just downright fun. Save game corruption is a product of the time it came from, back in 2004, but is easily remedied now with plenty of fan-made tools, should it ever get to that point. I’ve never had corruption, personally, in all of my hours played.

And I think we’re not giving enough credit to The Sims 3 either. That game really broadened the player base of The Sims a massive amount. And it did that without having to make the base game $1 or discount it’s DLCs weeks after release to boost sales after attaining a big player base.

So you can say it’s doing financially well because of the retained player base from the predecessors such as TS3, its low-end spec requirement ensuring accessibility, discounted options for getting into the base game and DLC’s, and the fact it’s the only actively developed game in the niche life simulation genre. It doing well has little to do with its quality of gameplay, IMO. And TS4 doing financially well isn’t a bad thing at all, nor would I ever wish for The Sims to fail out of selfish reasons like not preferring one iteration of the game. The game’s quality leaves so much to be desired though.

If they developed a better game that truly broke barriers for this series, it would be an even bigger hit overnight without a question. That’s exactly what The Sims 3 did and why it became such a huge hit, despite its shortcomings. The open world and customization alone was so impressive. And even though I consider The Sims 2 to have the most expressive and life-like Sims, TS3 has the best autonomy of, honestly, any game I’ve seen with NPCs behaving just like your controlled Sim, all with schedules and lives of their own, at a large scale.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Renato10 wrote: »
    Even when you try to be positive and hopeful there's always something off about this 4th generation of The Sims. After 6 years it just makes you tired of it!

I try so hard to be positive about the game, but it's not the same. It's like an unsatisfying piece of cake, it's what you've been craving and yet it's not good as you hoped it would be.

That is a perfect analogy! That's exactly how I feel.
  • morganlefayemorganlefaye Posts: 178 Member
    Renato10 wrote: »
    Even when you try to be positive and hopeful there's always something off about this 4th generation of The Sims. After 6 years it just makes you tired of it!

I try so hard to be positive about the game, but it's not the same. It's like an unsatisfying piece of cake, it's what you've been craving and yet it's not good as you hoped it would be.

That is a perfect analogy! That's exactly how I feel.

I thought of Marie Antionette.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    While it may be successful, popular, and profitable by appealing to those with low expectations, it's still an inferior game in terms of gameplay quality, at least for those who know what it was like before. They are different games, the products of different eras. That 4 runs on an engine not intended for the task its been given doesn't help.

I know that that's the going opinion on the forums, but I don't agree. I played Sims 2. I have the Ultimate Collection now and it's a good game, but I like Sims 4 a lot more. I'm not really a builder and I don't spend much time in CAS, and yet I still prefer Sims 4. For me, there's just not enough in Sims 2. I had Sims mastering all skills while/before they became adults. There are only a few plants for gardening and a few meals to cook, etc. There aren't many Sims and they don't age together. Time stops when off-lot, etc. etc. The clocks moved and they opened cabinets when cooking, but I rather have piano be a separate skill than have a moving clock. We should probably have both, but I think that there are tons of people like me who actually prefer Sims 4 gameplay to Sims 2. Sims 4 has improved a lot since release.

In view of the advances in gaming technology between the 2 game there had better be some improvements! This is looking like a matter of playing style differences. No right or wrong, just different. But for JA and the ability to farm I'd have uninstalled TS4 ages ago, too boring for how I play. Have never been bored with TS2 all these many years. I think part of it is that TS2 has an excellent story telling system via the family albums. Being a published writer, I really like the ability to create graphic novels, weaving complex stories crossing several households. in the old days we could post them directly to the story section of the TS2 site for all to read. Another item is that every world is mine to build on as I wish, all of it, not just a rationed few lots, and populate (with no 250 sim limit) accordingly. Along with the satellite worlds - provided and addable. So we can agree to disagree, and wish each other happy simming.

• haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member

I know that that's the going opinion on the forums, but I don't agree. I played Sims 2. I have the Ultimate Collection now and it's a good game, but I like Sims 4 a lot more. I'm not really a builder and I don't spend much time in CAS, and yet I still prefer Sims 4. For me, there's just not enough in Sims 2. I had Sims mastering all skills while/before they became adults. There are only a few plants for gardening and a few meals to cook, etc. There aren't many Sims and they don't age together. Time stops when off-lot, etc. etc. The clocks moved and they opened cabinets when cooking, but I rather have piano be a separate skill than have a moving clock. We should probably have both, but I think that there are tons of people like me who actually prefer Sims 4 gameplay to Sims 2. Sims 4 has improved a lot since release.

In view of the advances in gaming technology between the 2 game there had better be some improvements! This is looking like a matter of playing style differences. No right or wrong, just different. But for JA and the ability to farm I'd have uninstalled TS4 ages ago, too boring for how I play. Have never been bored with TS2 all these many years. I think part of it is that TS2 has an excellent story telling system via the family albums. Being a published writer, I really like the ability to create graphic novels, weaving complex stories crossing several households. in the old days we could post them directly to the story section of the TS2 site for all to read. Another item is that every world is mine to build on as I wish, all of it, not just a rationed few lots, and populate (with no 250 sim limit) accordingly. Along with the satellite worlds - provided and addable. So we can agree to disagree, and wish each other happy simming.

Yes, happy simming to you too. :)

For story telling, I like to take a ton of screenshots, edit them, and then organize them in a blog outside of the game, so I don't mind that we can't do it in game, even though I wish we did have better options for captions in game. Also, I don't know if you mean 250 played sims or sims generally, but you can have far more than 250. I have almost 1,000 sims in my Sims 4 game. :o I'm too lazy to build a world from the ground up, though. I tried several times in Sims 3, but never really got anywhere.
    Going by the figures in manage worlds/households. Am not a blogger but can see how that would be a substitute. I content myself with TS2, sometimes using a blank template, sometimes just redoing one of the ones we have. In one game Pleasantview has been made all Victorian, while Strangetown has had the abandoned military base idea expanded on - even has a heliport. We all have our own styles, taking the tools provided and going with it as we like.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited December 2020

Reception does not equate sales. The number of sales isn't the factor how much the game is enjoyable or represent that it has better reviews. It also not show if many players after purchasing have played and still playing through the years without leaving to rest, nor much how many per player session pour hours into it. I would argue TS2 players are not overestaming the value of the game and TS4 is booming with sold numbers because it's a "trendy and cute game" while objecting is missing lots of content from previous without really compesating with new features of the same value.

Much like open world, memories is not the reason and the direct fault of game getting corrupted or bloated. It's due to dev team as a whole not choosing to finalized optimizing the resource of the mechanic to not cause those things. Call it neglect if you will from that behalf. Also, are you forgetting simulation lag? Must been because of all those emutions and multita(lk)sking around.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
    edited December 2020

Reception does not equate sales. The number of sales isn't the factor how much the game is enjoyable or represent that it has better reviews. It also not show if many players after purchasing have played and still playing through the years without leaving to rest, nor much how many per player session pour hours into it. I would argue TS2 players are not overestaming the value of the game and TS4 is booming with sold numbers because it's a "trendy and cute game" while objecting is missing lots of content from previous without really compesating with new features of the same value.

Much like open world, memories is not the reason and the direct fault of game getting corrupted or bloated. It's due to dev team as a whole not choosing to finalized optimizing the resource of the mechanic to not cause those things. Call it neglect if you will from that behalf. Also, are you forgetting simulation lag? Must been because of all those emutions and multita(lk)sking around.

I play on a giant 64x64 lot with many objects and 5-8 sims and I have virtually no lag in my game. I have a monster computer (i9, NVIDIA 2080 Ti...), so maybe that's why I like the Sims 4. I've been lucky and not experienced what others do. Every once in a while (like once a month or every two months), I'll get a little glitch (but resetsims cheat in and it's fixed and I'm back to 0 lag). Everything loads almost instantly.

Different people have different play styles. Sims 4 works best for me and its success and my opinion of it are reflected in its sales. The point of good reviews is to generate sales, so... if Sims 4 can generate sales without great reviews, what do they need the reviews for? Regardless, I wish they would put more thought into how they implement certain features. I feel like Lifestyles, NAPs, and whims were thoughtlessly implemented. Whereas the vampire system, reputation & fame system, and toddlers were well done. I loved memories in Sims 2, but I don't trust the team to implement them correctly in Sims 4.
    Post edited by haneul on
    Do you play with all packs installed?
    NNpYlHF.jpg
    Do you play with all packs installed?

Yes, all except Journey to Batuu. I also have 11GB of CC/mods. I played the other Sims games in a similar way too (most packs + lots of CC).
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Hmmm, Sims 3 may have not worked well for some, it looks like Sims 4 does not work well for some and Sims 4 does not have most of the features that prior versions had and there is still bugs galore for some and what year is this? 2020 and the tech is not even being used to it's potential in this version. As far as Sims 4 selling well there is an reason when you can get it cheaper and not pay the full price so for me it is an artificially Best Seller.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member

Before and after the new update, the game is still lagging like I'm so tired of it. I miss the days when Sims was so inappropriate when I was ten I literally was like oh my god... the remote is vibrating. I can't stand the bugs! The game is always lagging.
    Lagging? Do you have a lot of mods or CC? Did you try and clean your computer? This is not something a lot of folks want to hear, but perhaps it's time to upgrade to a newer, more capable system? Constant lagging shouldn't happen, even on slightly older machines. The Sims 4 doesn't require that much juice to run it.
    I can't I don't have anything else, except for this head ache of a game.
    Hmm...again, I don't mean any disrespect, but I do remember you created pretty much the exact same thread about a day or less before this one. Are you trying to get feedback and find a solution or are you more interested in generating a multitude of echo chambers?

If this game is not entertaining enough why can't you find something else to do? I do understand your frustration, but it's best to leave constructive feedback rather than telling everyone on multiple threads how headache inducing this game is.

The developers don't care about headaches. They care about constructive feedback. They do read the feedback section you know?
    In the meantime, maybe find something else you enjoy doing? It doesn't necessarily have to include a computer...

I like the game, but it's quite frustrating when your time is literally stopping for about a minute. I probably had made another thread of the same thing, but I forget a lot and mostly I love the game for the details of the Sim, but it just doesn't feel as it used like Sims 2. I wish there was more to it.

The game isn't supposed to be like that though. That kind of lag sounds horrible. Have you tried to troubleshoot what's causing it?

I agree with you also to the op you might have malware or a virus or maybe your pc needs an upgrade
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

I play on a giant 64x64 lot with many objects and 5-8 sims and I have virtually no lag in my game. I have a monster computer (i9, NVIDIA 2080 Ti...), so maybe that's why I like the Sims 4. I've been lucky and not experienced what others do. Every once in a while (like once a month or every two months), I'll get a little glitch (but resetsims cheat in and it's fixed and I'm back to 0 lag). Everything loads almost instantly.

Different people have different play styles. Sims 4 works best for me and its success and my opinion of it are reflected in its sales. The point of good reviews is to generate sales, so... if Sims 4 can generate sales without great reviews, what do they need the reviews for? Regardless, I wish they would put more thought into how they implement certain features. I feel like Lifestyles, NAPs, and whims were thoughtlessly implemented. Whereas the vampire system, reputation & fame system, and toddlers were well done. I loved memories in Sims 2, but I don't trust the team to implement them correctly in Sims 4.

I've tried testing The Sims 4 on even an AMD Ryzen 5900x (which nobody can even manage to get their hands on because it's new and there are shortages) and I still had inconsistent FPS and performance issues.

A closed world should be able to hold 60 FPS minimum at all times. Instead, I was getting 60+ FPS, then dropping down to 20, 40, back to 60, etc. If I really want to play a game with that kind of distractive instability, I would just play The Sims 3. At least, at that point, I'd feel like I'm actually playing a game.
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

I've tried testing The Sims 4 on even an AMD Ryzen 5900x (which nobody can even manage to get their hands on because it's new and there are shortages) and I still had inconsistent FPS and performance issues.

A closed world should be able to hold 60 FPS minimum at all times. Instead, I was getting 60+ FPS, then dropping down to 20, 40, back to 60, etc. If I really want to play a game with that kind of distractive instability, I would just play The Sims 3. At least, at that point, I'd feel like I'm actually playing a game.

All the Sims games are unstable across different machines, but what's your graphics card?

I'm just saying that on my computer, it works without simulation lag and playing it is fun. I have to use an older computer to get Sims 2 running because it won't run correctly on this one. For Sims 3, I had another computer that was top of the line at the time, but for whatever reason it wouldn't run Island Paradise... The games are finicky. I wish they weren't but sometimes people get unlucky and the games don't mesh well with their machines even though they should on paper.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

I've also got a new laptop with an NVidia 2080 Super, with up to date drivers and the game is working fine. (It can have a 144 refresh rate but I leave it at Automatic) Have you made sure that any background apps get turned off when you play? Mine appear to now get turned off automatically whilst playing, either by Microsoft Windows 10 or NVidia and I get messages about mail etc., after leaving the game.

I really think, though, that EA/Maxis should up the specs. on the game again to avoid Simmers getting disappointed at lag times. It is inevitable if their machines are still the ones they started playing it on six years', even three years' ago as my last one was. I've never been able to play any Sims game on Ultra until now.

• MelissaBearMelissaBear Posts: 29 Member
    If you guys have so many complaints and think the game is so terrible...then don't play it? Problem solved. I love the Sims 4!
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    If you guys have so many complaints and think the game is so terrible...then don't play it? Problem solved. I love the Sims 4!

I loved the Sims franchise, and was able to play the first iteration without mods and cc for 15 years. Started the 4th iteration, and required mods within 6 months just to fix core problems with the game. Interestingly enough I have 2 franchises which I love. I am still able to play the other one without the need for mods and cc. My only complaints is that core issues need to be fixed with the game for it to be seen differently.
    That doesn't solve the problem, but whatever.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    I feel your pain. This is the only iteration that I literally cannot play for too long and I end up going back to the pervious iterations. The fundamentals need to be revamped entirely. I’m excited for TS5 though... hopefully it gets announced soon.
    p6tqefj
    There are far too many core issues well known to all forums regulars that have yet to be addressed for TS4 to be satisfactory. While I appreciate how modders have stepped up and worked their repairing magic, that such a thing is necessary is not a good sign. With other games modders take the game in new directions, are pioneers. Here they are desperately needed mechanics keeping the beast going.

Unless TS5 is:
    Made by a team - from management on down - that really cares about the quality of the game, like the earlier teams
    NOT online
    I have little hope for it. Would just be more of what we have now, just a different (hopefully) engine and another graphics style.