Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

More After School Activities for Children and Teens

I think there should be more after school activities other than just drama club and scouts. I would like to see them add:
- Dance Team
- Band Club
- Book Club
- Cheerleading Team
- Science Club
- Debate Club
- Chorus
- Art Club
- Yearbook Committee
- Football Team
- Soccer Team
- Tennis Team
- Swim Team
- Volleyball Team
- Fashion Club
- Awareness/Volunteer Club
- Chess Club
- Track Team
- Wrestling Team
They don’t have to add all of them but just a few. (It would be nice to have all of them) or they can merge some under one category and have different branches for certain ones (if that makes sense)
Also, these can help build skills up!

What do you guys think?

Comments

• MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    What? No cricket? No Plogging?
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I want newspaper club
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • MichelleWMichelleW Posts: 665 Member
    I totally agree
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    I think it would be great if they at least add clubs for activities already found in the game, soccer, basketball, dance, art, debate, skating, swimming, science, botanical science, entomology, robotics, climbing, skiing, chess, short story writing, cookie baking for fund raising, etc.
  • nessatay1920nessatay1920 Posts: 459 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I think it would be great if they at least add clubs for activities already found in the game, soccer, basketball, dance, art, debate, skating, swimming, science, botanical science, entomology, robotics, climbing, skiing, chess, short story writing, cookie baking for fund raising, etc.

Omg! Yes and I forgot about basketball!
    izecson wrote: »
    I want newspaper club
    OMG!!! Yes!!!

Movotti wrote: »
    What? No cricket? No Plogging?

Yes of course! They should add these as well!
    edited December 2020
    And which 'football' were you referring to?
    Around here, football is Aussie rules, but up north or across the Tasman it's likely to be rugby. SO which one were you talking about?

And when you say 'dance', which style are you referring to. Is it swing? I know some schools do that.
    And which 'football' were you referring to?
    Around here, football is Aussie rules, but up north or across the Tasman it's likely to be rugby. SO which one were you talking about?

And when you say 'dance', which style are you referring to. Is it swing? I know some schools do that.

I do apologize like National Football League (NFL). And when it comes to dance, swing, ballet, tap, hip hop, step, jazz, contemporary, modern, ballroom, salsa, lyrical, breakdancing, etc.
    I do apologize like National Football League (NFL).
    That's not very inclusive. It'd be like having AFL.
    No, it'd be better if the 'football' in the game was just rugby and soccer, as they're both popular in numerous countries. They'd be less insular.

And when it comes to dance, swing, ballet, tap, hip hop, step, jazz, contemporary, modern, ballroom, salsa, lyrical, breakdancing, etc.
    Thats a nice bit of variety.

I also don't quite get 'science club' and 'art club'
    You've got all these specific sports, rather than just a generic 'sports club', why do it to art and science?
    Why not a physics club, an astronomy club, a geology club, a biology club, a chemistry club, etc?
    Why not a watercolours club, a sketchy club, a pastels club, a pottery club, a junk art club, a yarnbombing club?

I think so much emphasis on sports, and the lumping of 'art' and 'science' is a big part of what is wrong with the world, so I don't want it in my game. The game is supposed to be an escape.

And what's a chorus? IS that a school choir?

And what exactly is a 'yearbook'? And why does it have a committee?

And what about some occult clubs? Maybe an astrology club, a card reading club, a crystal scrying club, a herbalism club?

I havent had enough coffee yet today, so I'm all whiny questions. :p
    No, it'd be better if the 'football' in the game was just rugby and soccer, as they're both popular in numerous countries. They'd be less insular.

And when it comes to dance, swing, ballet, tap, hip hop, step, jazz, contemporary, modern, ballroom, salsa, lyrical, breakdancing, etc.

You've got all these specific sports, rather than just a generic 'sports club', why do it to art and science?
    Why not a physics club, an astronomy club, a geology club, a biology club, a chemistry club, etc?
    Why not a watercolours club, a sketchy club, a pastels club, a pottery club, a junk art club, a yarnbombing club?

I think so much emphasis on sports, and the lumping of 'art' and 'science' is a big part of what is wrong with the world, so I don't want it in my game. The game is supposed to be an escape.

And what about some occult clubs? Maybe an astrology club, a card reading club, a crystal scrying club, a herbalism club?

It’s fine! I understand what you’re saying lol. For Chorus, yes a school choir and I just consider NFL since I love that sport and its popular her in the states. When it comes to science it could be like chemistry, physics, engineering, biology, etc. I also love the astronomy and geology clubs and for art I just remembering in elementary and middle school I joined an art club where I learned about art history and making portfolios filled with pastel paintings, landscaping portraits, portrait arts, pottery, etc. Which makes me wonder why kids can’t use the easels in the game or even have a kid easel for the kids. I also thought about the yearbook committee because of what I joined in high school in getting the school yearbook ready and the enticement, the creativity, and the journalism that came with it. Also, it was in sims 2 under the journalism career for young adults/ adults. That’s why I ask for other’s inputs just because I like when everyone have different and creative minds to make the sims 4 even better and can be loved by all. So, I hear ya and I love the interaction:)

It’s fine! I understand what you’re saying lol. For Chorus, yes a school choir and I just consider NFL since I love that sport and its popular her in the states. When it comes to science it could be like chemistry, physics, engineering, biology, etc. I also love the astronomy and geology clubs and for art I just remembering in elementary and middle school I joined an art club where I learned about art history and making portfolios filled with pastel paintings, landscaping portraits, portrait arts, pottery, etc. Which makes me wonder why kids can’t use the easels in the game or even have a kid easel for the kids. I also thought about the yearbook committee because of what I joined in high school in getting the school yearbook ready and the enticement, the creativity, and the journalism that came with it. Also, it was in sims 2 under the journalism career for young adults/ adults. That’s why I ask for other’s inputs just because I like when everyone have different and creative minds to make the sims 4 even better and can be loved by all. So, I hear ya and I love the interaction:)

I didn't have to join an art club to do all that art stuff, that was a part of the standard education. Art was a compulsory subject from the start of school, up to about year 8. I continued with art throughout my schooling, right into my tertiary education, but never joined any clubs for it. They never existed when I was at school.

But as for our sims, child sims should at least be able to use a sketch pad, and use it to paint watercolors or draw with pencils, charcoal, or pastels.

I really don't get the yearbook thing... IS it like a student newspaper? Or is it just a bunch of photos and stories of the graduating senior class?

At my school, the senior class had a class jumper, with the school logo on the front, and the names of the seniors on the back.

The only sports my school had attached to it were swimming, and athletics, all other sports were a part of the local community, and not tied to the school. Band and choir were done during school hours, as was most of the swimming and athletics.
    It's impossible to have many after school activities, when so many of the students live so far out of town, and have to leave when school ends, so they can take the bus home. When I was in primary school, I lived a 10 minute drive from the nearest bus stop, which was about a 15-20 minute bus ride to school. Though, Thursday nights were sports night for the community. That was the night when you could play cricket or football (depending on season), or Netball or tennis. Having theses things on just one night per week made it easier for rural families to have their kids involved... Though, Thursdays were a terrible day to try to do any grocery shopping. :P With dozens of families descending upon the town, there was always a bread shortage by Friday morning. Saturday was when sports competition happened, and it could be at any one of the half dozen towns in the region.

I think the developers need to be more cautious about adding too many US-centric elements to the game. If they want it to be more inclusive, then that means finding more common ground. And that can be as simple as using more generic terms, such as having a school dance, rather than a prom. Or looking at what is popular outside the US, such as soccer, rugby, and cricket.

Look at cricket in particular.
    There are 12 'nations' that are full ICC members, who play ODI and T20I (Not all the nations are singular, some are joint teams, such as Ireland, which includes Northern Ireland, and the West Indies, which includes multiple Caribbean countries, and England, which includes Wales.)
    Then there's the 92 Associate members (the US is one of them).
    The most popular cricketing team is India, competitively, they rank 3rd out of the 12, but cricket is a very popular sport in India.
    In Australia and New Zealand, beach cricket is a popular summer pastime.
    Personally, I think they should at least add cricket nets, and basic two player practice sessions, if any school pack was to be created.

I didn't have to join an art club to do all that art stuff, that was a part of the standard education. Art was a compulsory subject from the start of school, up to about year 8. I continued with art throughout my schooling, right into my tertiary education, but never joined any clubs for it. They never existed when I was at school.

But as for our sims, child sims should at least be able to use a sketch pad, and use it to paint watercolors or draw with pencils, charcoal, or pastels.

I really don't get the yearbook thing... IS it like a student newspaper? Or is it just a bunch of photos and stories of the graduating senior class?

At my school, the senior class had a class jumper, with the school logo on the front, and the names of the seniors on the back.

The only sports my school had attached to it were swimming, and athletics, all other sports were a part of the local community, and not tied to the school. Band and choir were done during school hours, as was most of the swimming and athletics.
    It's impossible to have many after school activities, when so many of the students live so far out of town, and have to leave when school ends, so they can take the bus home. When I was in primary school, I lived a 10 minute drive from the nearest bus stop, which was about a 15-20 minute bus ride to school. Though, Thursday nights were sports night for the community. That was the night when you could play cricket or football (depending on season), or Netball or tennis. Having theses things on just one night per week made it easier for rural families to have their kids involved... Though, Thursdays were a terrible day to try to do any grocery shopping. :P With dozens of families descending upon the town, there was always a bread shortage by Friday morning. Saturday was when sports competition happened, and it could be at any one of the half dozen towns in the region.

I think the developers need to be more cautious about adding too many US-centric elements to the game. If they want it to be more inclusive, then that means finding more common ground. And that can be as simple as using more generic terms, such as having a school dance, rather than a prom. Or looking at what is popular outside the US, such as soccer, rugby, and cricket.

There are 12 'nations' that are full ICC members, who play ODI and T20I (Not all the nations are singular, some are joint teams, such as Ireland, which includes Northern Ireland, and the West Indies, which includes multiple Caribbean countries, and England, which includes Wales.)
    The most popular cricketing team is India, competitively, they rank 3rd out of the 12, but cricket is a very popular sport in India.
    Personally, I think they should at least add cricket nets, and basic two player practice sessions, if any school pack was to be created.

Well when I did yearbook, we did a lot of photography, designing/page layouts, covering events at the high school, and worked with a yearbook company to produce all of the events and photos into the yearbook, but someone mentioned doing a newspaper club which I love! That can take place over the yearbook committee. Since it’s around the same lines.
  • redrogue60redrogue60 Posts: 2,050 Member

Well when I did yearbook, we did a lot of photography, designing/page layouts, covering events at the high school, and worked with a yearbook company to produce all of the events and photos into the yearbook, but someone mentioned doing a newspaper club which I love! That can take place over the yearbook committee. Since it’s around the same lines.

You can combine Yearbook and Newspaper since in real life you often find that the members of one often work on the other
    “All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.” Terry Pratchett
    redrogue60 wrote: »

You can combine Yearbook and Newspaper since in real life you often find that the members of one often work on the other

Definitely! I agree!
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    This is a great idea I hope they implement this in a school if/when we get them.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I have a question about children. How come they can knit but not being able to make a basic salad?
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I have a question about children. How come they can knit but not being able to make a basic salad?

Kids don't make salads, as they don't usually cook. Some may make a peanut butter or jam sandwich, or stick to fruits and snacks if hungry. I think it would be nice if kids could cook by joining an adult in the kitchen, they could help with baking cookies or decorating them. Or wash and dice vegetables.

Kids don't make salads, as they don't usually cook. Some may make a peanut butter or jam sandwich, or stick to fruits and snacks if hungry. I think it would be nice if kids could cook by joining an adult in the kitchen, they could help with baking cookies or decorating them. Or wash and dice vegetables.
    Speak for yourself!
    I was certainly skilled in the kitchen as a child, to the point were I was able to cook a fancy dinner for extended family by the time I was 12.
    By the time I was 10, a basic recipe could be put in front of me, and I could follow it without assistance.
    At 5 I could mix bikkies under instruction, roll them out, and cut them out, and put them on the tray ready to be baked, I wasn't 'helping' I was doing.

And then there's the kids who attend forest kindergartens, they use knives to whittle wood, and cut fruit, they cook over campfires, all at age 4.

Children are far more capable than most adults realise.

Speak for yourself!
    I was certainly skilled in the kitchen as a child, to the point were I was able to cook a fancy dinner for extended family by the time I was 12.
    By the time I was 10, a basic recipe could be put in front of me, and I could follow it without assistance.
    At 5 I could mix bikkies under instruction, roll them out, and cut them out, and put them on the tray ready to be baked, I wasn't 'helping' I was doing.

And then there's the kids who attend forest kindergartens, they use knives to whittle wood, and cut fruit, they cook over campfires, all at age 4.

I guess it depends on what you call fancy dinner. I might have roasted some bacon on a campfire once, but I wouldn't really call that cooking. I wasn't allowed to use the stove as a child, in fact until about 14 or 15 I only used the kitchen to eat.

Speak for yourself!

I guess it depends on what you call fancy dinner. I might have roasted some bacon on a campfire once, but I wouldn't really call that cooking. I wasn't allowed to use the stove as a child, in fact until about 14 or 15 I only used the kitchen to eat.

It was roasted duck, grilled pork ribs, roasted veggies, steamed veggies, gravy, and I think I did something with custard for desert. It was for 20 people. My mum had to go to work, so I was put in charge of getting dinner ready before everyone arrived. Gravy and custard were things I was put in charge of from when I was tall enough to not need a chair to stand on to see in the pot.
    I wasn't allowed to use the stove on my own when I was under 10, because the stove we had then was wood fueled, and tricky to get the heat right, plus the entire thing heated up, making it a bit more dangerous that the usual sort of stove people have.
    When I was 14 or 15 I worked in the kitchen of the local truck-stop. I was the only jr staff member who could run the kitchen on their own within a few weeks of starting work there.
    My mum was working as a shearers cook at that age, she'd be driven to a farm, put in the kitchen, and expected to produce lunch, and morning and afternoon tea for the workers, using whatever was available. She learned to cook from an early age too. It's a life-skill that too few have from an early age.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I remember the first time I helped make Speghetti when I was 11 years old. It's possible for a child to begin to learn an easy cooking dish.
  • Kyria161Kyria161 Posts: 3 New Member
    I think you should add Color Guard to school activities because it's an active sport and it plays a role in marching Band. It's a world known sport in some parts of the world.
  • Kyria161Kyria161 Posts: 3 New Member
    [quote="Kyria161;c-17980151"]I think you should add Color Guard to school activities because it's an active sport and it plays a role in marching Band. It's a world known sport in some parts of the world.[/quote] and the also preform on Friday night with the marching Band and try adding a majorette squad
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited September 2021