Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Shy vs Loner and Other Trait Discussions

Anyone find it weird that the loner trait makes sims tense when they are out with other sims? Being around other sims should make them neutral or bored. If your shy then I understand why they would get tense or easily embarrassed. Also why is there no loyal trait? There is a jealous trait and still an aspiration to cancel out jealously but none to make sims faithful? And what is the difference between mean and evil?

Comments

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    Anyone find it weird that the loner trait makes sims tense when they are out with other sims? Being around other sims should make them neutral or bored. If your shy then I understand why they would get tense or easily embarrassed. Also why is there no loyal trait? There is a jealous trait and still an aspiration to cancel out jealously but none to make sims faithful? And what is the difference between mean and evil?

All very good questions. I don't truly see a difference between mean and evil, particularly because a mean Sim does mean things to other Sims just for their own enjoyment. Sounds pretty evil to me.

As for loner and shy. Shy doesn't mean you don't wish to be with other people — in this case Sims. It does imply, however, that a person/Sim might feel awkward around others, find it difficult to trust others. They are almost afraid of strangers. They may fear they won't be accepted, for instance and so they remain a tad standoffish. I fear that Loner is as close as we're going to get to Shy. We have Outgoing and the opposite should be Shy. Don't know. :: shrugs::
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • ClousinatorsClousinators Posts: 586 Member
    I feel like in general there could be a lot more traits. I know they add a few here and there with packs but its still pretty basic, half the traits I don't use and the other half I'm almost tired of.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    traits are just not done well....sims with the loner trait should for example not be found in public places so often, but they are there just as much as any other sim.
    It doesn't really make sense.
    Thing is that traits only seem to influence moodlets, when they also should've influence autonomy.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    Mean sims do a ton of mean interactions, so to me that makes them worse than evil sims. Evil sims will do mean interactions as well, but not as many. They just get happy when other sims near them are upset.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    The loner trait could definitely make someone tense. Many loners don't like being in crowds, and they especially despise having to make conversation with people they don't know. For some, it's much more than just an annoyance...
  • Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    The loner trait could definitely make someone tense. Many loners don't like being in crowds, and they especially despise having to make conversation with people they don't know. For some, it's much more than just an annoyance...

My problem is we don't get to choose how the sims react. Both are fine but I wish I could choose that if they were tense, embarrassed or bored around other sims.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member

In case you use mods, there’s a Loyal trait mod available that I use in my game.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    yes, the traits are too simple and there are too little. they don't make much of a difference on gameplay but still would be great to have more traits to choose. on the modding community there's a lot and i've installed a few, but why does devs neglect traits so much? and why did they stop adding new ones to the base game?
    bella_goth wrote: »
    yes, the traits are too simple and there are too little. they don't make much of a difference on gameplay but still would be great to have more traits to choose. on the modding community there's a lot and i've installed a few, but why does devs neglect traits so much? and why did they stop adding new ones to the base game?
    I think why they won't add more is because sims flip flop too easily in different moods. Meaningful stories mod helps a lot with tuning the sims emotions.
    I think why they won't add more is because sims flip flop too easily in different moods. Meaningful stories mod helps a lot with tuning the sims emotions.

but then they add them on packs? maxis really needs more budget.
    also there are ways to calibrate the intensity of traits. i agree emotions are a bit annoying and honestly devs should've picked another personality system to go with them. as of now, i think emotions override and conflict with traits.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited November 2020
    Evil sims just delight on another Sims misfortune but does not necessarily have to be bad mannered (like politician), mean Sims could be just they are grumpy, both traits were more pronounced in the previous game. You can be friendly and evil, meanspirited but good (like an antihero)
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Emo-usagi2187Emo-usagi2187 Posts: 600 Member
    Also, the jealous trait needs fixer-upper doesn't make sense wanting attention but it's jealous of the person but not wanting to be noticed should be renamed to attention not jealous I have seen jealous on ts3 compare to the sims 4, not the same at all and the foodie and lazy trait should be the same both sloppy eaters.
    [img][/img]48163509141_6d283a2fcb.jpg06-30-19_1-14-16 AM by Jeannita Szalai, on Flickr
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    RavenSpit wrote: »
    traits are just not done well....sims with the loner trait should for example not be found in public places so often, but they are there just as much as any other sim.
    It doesn't really make sense.
    Thing is that traits only seem to influence moodlets, when they also should've influence autonomy.

This is the biggest problem with traits. Sims don't act differently, they have different moodlets. So the player needs to make them act differently so that the bad moodlets go away. It should influence autonomy.
  • indigo_snap45indigo_snap45 Posts: 45 Member
    i feel like tense is similar to anxious so it makes sense to me

The problem with traits is you can't really choose the levels of how sims react. Being a loner doesn't always mean you're tense around people.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member

The problem with traits is you can't really choose the levels of how sims react. Being a loner doesn't always mean you're tense around people.
    Being a loner means you want to be aLONE.
    babajayne wrote: »

I'm a loner myself and I'm not always feeling tense around people only when im about to speak in front of them but that is mostly because of the anxiety kicks in, uncomfortable and bored are the emotions I often feel when being around too many people.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    izecson wrote: »

I'm a loner myself and I'm not always feeling tense around people only when im about to speak in front of them but that is mostly because of the anxiety kicks in, uncomfortable and bored are the emotions I often feel when being around too many people.
    Well I’m a loner too and I think tense fits.

Hence why like the other poster said, we should be able to customize how our sims want to convey their emotions, choose the level of how they react because not every loner acts the same.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    I could go on and on about this, and I think emotion system really need an overhaul and they should be able to make sims act differently based on their combination of traits. not everyone who is angry wanted to take an angry poop or kicking trashcan(especially not for proper or snob sims)
    ihavemultiplegamertags

Hence why like the other poster said, we should be able to customize how our sims want to convey their emotions, choose the level of how they react because not every loner acts the same.
    Uncomfortable, yes, that’s not far from tense anyway.
    Bored, no... I don’t think that’s a strong enough emotion to convey that the sim would like to be alone. It would not make sense to me. A loner seeks to be alone not because other people bore them, but because something about the presence of other people bothers or disturbs them, they need their “me time”.
    If you feel differently about it that’s up to you. I just wanted to share my perspective.
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    I completely agree with this thread, I dont think its necessary for the sims to be too complex however, I do think traits should be more meaningful and we need more of them, I personally dont think a attraction system is needed, hear me out, when you play the game you obviously probably wanting too pick your sims partner etc, although i do get why alot of people want this, I personally like the idea of it more that having it
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited December 2020
    I'm a loner myself but don't mind being in a bigger group of people. I like listening to conversations and as long as I know at least a few of the people involved, don't have to talk much (or at all depending on the conversation), and get some time to myself later on i'm fine.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn

also there are ways to calibrate the intensity of traits. i agree emotions are a bit annoying and honestly devs should've picked another personality system to go with them. as of now, i think emotions override and conflict with traits.

I meant more than three traits.

I meant more than three traits.

ohh okay, yeah you are probably right. it's shown on the first looks of sims 4, there were meant to be 5 traits. perhaps given the whole online to offline change and the emotions, devs decided to give ts4 sims only 3 traits to avoid too much conflict between them. i think devs needed way more time and budget to develop emotions and traits on the game, and it has been a big challenge for them.
    below is the sims 4 screenshot with 5 traits
    1097898_10151796356059547_2115648447_o.png