Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it possible to do Lifeguard active career in Sunlit Tides?

12.png

Hi I'm adding a beach lot for Lifeguard career in Sunlit Tides. I have tried once before but NO ONE even visited beach all through the day. So I thought it could be from no space to be drown in the beach at Sunlit Tides. So I'm placing the 64 64 lot and its half includes the ocean. Is there anyone tried this active career without placing a custom beach lot?

Comments

• Options
    jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    You know I never even thought about trying this! If you put some things on the beach that might draw other sims maybe it would work. I would put some all-in-one bathrooms, bbqs, tables and seating, maybe a chess table or two just for starters. Let us know how it goes. Such a cool idea to put this job in Sunlit tides.
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    I have done the lifeguard career with no issues in Sunlit Tides before.

You could also use the "lifeguard at the pool" mod: https://modthesims.info/d/574660/pool-jobs-for-lifeguards.html
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Is your custom lot zoned as a beach?

When I play the lifeguard career in Sunlit Tides or other worlds, I change the lot assignments for the beaches already there (as they don’t extend into the ocean and I don’t want my lifeguard Sim to waste their time surveying there). I then place my own beach lot extending into the ocean. Other Sims are pushed to go to my beach while my lifeguard Sim is on duty; everything seems to work fine.

Another way to play the lifeguard career in other worlds without placing custom beaches is to use this mod, which will allow the career to be played on lots with pools. This can work well in Sunlit Tides as there are already several pool lots. I like to use a mix of pools and beaches when I have an active lifeguard, just for the change in scenery.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Never have Sims drowning because the water is too shallow I guess, Isla Paradiso and aSunset Valley are some of the best world for Lifeguard
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    i believe if you want to do the lifeguard career and have sims visit and do the lifeguard things like drowning for your sims to save make sure your lot is set as a beach and make sure you have a lifeguard chair on the lot. I believe the life guard chair is what makes it so your lifeguard sim get's assigned to the beach you want them to work.
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Sunlit Tides has too shallow of water for sims to drown in...well it'd be different if you went deep into the lagoon or open ocean but sims that are to be lifeguarded don't go anywhere near that far. When I tried it I got plenty of sims attending the beach but all they did was wade in the shallow water and waste my time.

The lifeguard at pool mod is awesome, especially because ST has multiple public pools already. You can also technically max the career by maxing athletic and charisma though you may need the Ambitious trait alongside it or the Entrepreneurial Mindset LTR.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    There is a small rabbit hole you can place on a beach but it isnt necessary. It is the lifeguard chair. Do you have Island Paradise EP? Lifeguard career came with that expansion.

I had a sim i forgot was in the lifeguard career. I moved him to Dragon Valley. Suddenly he was going to work at one of the beaches even though there was no lifeguard chair. Several sims needed rescuing.
  • Options
    JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    edited December 2020
    @jaletu2005 @cmbaker16 @Karritz
    Yes everything was set up perfectly, but no one even didn't visit all day for a couple of days which is wasting time. My sim was sitting on the lifeguard chair on beach and looking at the sky for weather forecast. -_-

@KevinL5275 Thanks for the mod. I'm going to download it after commenting here. :D

@starguru Last time, I didn't create my own beach lot and he just worked at the EA beach. You know there are 2 beaches in Sunlit Tides and they are quite small. No one had been there all through the day. He stayed there for work for a couple of days but NO ONE.. he just exercised most of the day with stereo on.

@izecson I've never seen any sims in work place..:(

@InfraGreen Yes I can say so because I noticed when I tried to place the diving lot imported from which I created in Bridgeport, the floor got caved into lower than normal underwater ground.

Anyway, I've tried to start a new sim life as lifeguard in Sunlit Tides, and I created a big beach includes sea, I didn't like job rabbithole building styles in Sunlit Tides, I replaced all of them with the ones in Lucky Palms. And I noticed all the premade sims in Sunlit Tides are unemployed. I've been working out for Sunlit Tides for 2 days in real time but as a result, I wasted my time. Finally, I gave up Sunlit Tides. I'm going to try Life guard in Bridgeport instead. Thanks for all advice and tips. :)

• Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    Sims will work the beach without the lifeguard chair, but having the chair helps. You can click on the chair and click "Survey Beach" when the sim forgets what they are supposed to be doing and wanders off.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    KevinL5275 wrote: »
    Sims will work the beach without the lifeguard chair, but having the chair helps. You can click on the chair and click "Survey Beach" when the sim forgets what they are supposed to be doing and wanders off.

Thanks but it's only possible when the sims visit the beach and just forget what to do? No one was there..I meant. But I will try your tip in Bridgeport :)

• Options
    @Jeansoo – Sorry to hear you were having issues in Sunlit Tides. It’s really a beautiful world and a nice place to enjoy the lifeguard career.
    Jeansoo wrote: »
    Last time, I didn't create my own beach lot and he just worked at the EA beach. You know there are 2 beaches in Sunlit Tides and they are quite small. No one had been there all through the day. He stayed there for work for a couple of days but NO ONE.. he just exercised most of the day with stereo on.
    Yes, Sunlit Tides has those two small beach lots (Hot Sands and Captain Jack’s), but there isn't much to do there, and they’re not very useful for the lifeguard career because they aren’t connected to the ocean. Because the ability to place lots in water didn’t become available until IP was released, none of the beach lots in previous worlds are true seaside beaches.

Even if other Sims had come to the beach lot where your Sim was working, there is no ocean for them to swim in on the lot, and therefore no way for your lifeguard to utilize the “Helping Others” metric to advance their career, other than them possibly "passing out" so you can perform CPR on them (which pays considerably less than saving a Sim from drowning).

In order to actually play the lifeguard career in the older worlds (and save other Sims rather than simply advance the career by leveling the athletic and charisma skills), you would need to remove or change the lot assignments for those landlocked beaches to something else so your Sim doesn’t waste working hours there. Then, a beach lot must be manually placed partly in the ocean in order to have Sims needing to be rescued. Or you can use the lifeguard pool mod so your Sim can save people from drowning in the pools. I use both methods.

A lifeguard saving Sims at Pirate’s Pool, Lagoon View Pools and Paradise Pools, using the lifeguard pool mod:

STPiratesPool.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

STLagoonViewPools.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

STParadisePools.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Note the black oval. That is where I placed my beach lot in Sunlit Tides:

ST1.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Plenty of Sims flocking to the beach for a chance to drown. :lol:

ST2.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

ST3.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

ST4.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

It’s deeper than you might think here, even without using the terrain tool to increase the depth.

ST5.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    @starguru wow! I can challenge the sunlit tides next time. :D Because I eventually finished my own resort building in Bridgeport last night. I created 2 beaches includes ocean in Bridgeport and I want to try here this time. :) I got shocked to see all the resident lost their jobs after editing rabbithole career buildings for a couple of days in real time. I totally wasted my time. :( Your screenshots are gorgeous! I love all. :D By the way, how did you take the underwater screenshot while not scuba diving? I wish to see this too! :D
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @Jeansoo – Yup, there’s always next time. Good luck in Bridgeport and with your new resort! And thank you. :)

To take the underwater shot, I just used the tab camera mode and the Q key to go beneath the surface. I put a short explanation of basic tab functions behind the spoiler for anyone who might not know about it.
    To enter tab mode, press the tab key while you’re in Live Mode. To leave, just hit the key again.

Using the tab key to take screenshots gives you more control of the camera. While you’re in tab mode, the UI disappears and you can use other keys to zoom in or out, as well as raise, lower or tilt the view.

Q and E keys shift the camera down and up
    W and S keys move the camera view forward and backwards
    A and D keys move the camera left and right (additionally, holding the shift key while also pressing A or D will tilt the camera angle left or right, or even sideways/upside-down depending on your original angle before tabbing--holding shift while pressing S will bring you back to the original angle)
    Z and X keys zoom in and out (the same as a scroll wheel on a mouse)
    C takes the picture as normal
    ~/` key pauses/unpauses the game while in tab mode
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    starguru wrote: »
    @Jeansoo – Yup, there’s always next time. Good luck in Bridgeport and with your new resort! And thank you. :)

To take the underwater shot, I just used the tab camera mode and the Q key to go beneath the surface. I put a short explanation of basic tab functions behind the spoiler for anyone who might not know about it.
    To enter tab mode, press the tab key while you’re in Live Mode. To leave, just hit the key again.

Using the tab key to take screenshots gives you more control of the camera. While you’re in tab mode, the UI disappears and you can use other keys to zoom in or out, as well as raise, lower or tilt the view.

A and D keys move the camera left and right (additionally, holding the shift key while also pressing A or D will tilt the camera angle left or right, or even sideways/upside-down depending on your original angle before tabbing--holding shift while pressing S will bring you back to the original angle)

Thank you very much! :D The tips are awesome! :)
    By the way, I have a good news and a sad news. After opening the resort, It became 4 star resort almost straightaway, and it became 5 star next morning time. The bad news is Lagging has started since I started to open the resort. I erased all public room marker and hidden room markers in Bridgeport and the lagging is a lot improved but not disappeared completely. I saved the game as other name and deleted the resort, and...the lagging has completely gone..:( But I already saved it in Edit town mode, so I can still use it other time. :) As a result, the resort life has gone... Also I definitely need a new graphics card. Current one supports only 4 GB GPU. It takes up to 90% while playing the sims 3.

• Options

By the way, I have a good news and a sad news. After opening the resort, It became 4 star resort almost straightaway, and it became 5 star next morning time. The bad news is Lagging has started since I started to open the resort. I erased all public room marker and hidden room markers in Bridgeport and the lagging is a lot improved but not disappeared completely. I saved the game as other name and deleted the resort, and...the lagging has completely gone..:( But I already saved it in Edit town mode, so I can still use it other time. :) As a result, the resort life has gone... Also I definitely need a new graphics card. Current one supports only 4 GB GPU. It takes up to 90% while playing the sims 3.
    You’re welcome; I’m glad you found the camera tips useful. :)

Sorry to hear about your lag issue with your resort. Maybe you’ll have better luck next time. Good luck with getting a new GPU too.
  • Options

You’re welcome; I’m glad you found the camera tips useful. :)

Sorry to hear about your lag issue with your resort. Maybe you’ll have better luck next time. Good luck with getting a new GPU too.

Thank you so much indeed! :D

• Options
    @starguru

Thank you!! Eventually, I could be able to work as Lifeguard in Bridgeport but for some reason, they cannot play in the ocean. I don't know how to make the ground a bit more shallow. I tried but i couldn't see the ground underwater. I tried your tip to sea underwater but no luck. :(

Untitled-35.png

Untitled-36.png

It was the first day of work but a lot busy. He couldn't manage most of CPR works. He was too busy to rescue in water all day. His nephew helped the CPR work mostly.

• Options
    @Jeansoo - Glad you were able to get the lifeguard career working in another world. :)

Making the water shallower can be difficult to get exactly right because it has to be the proper depth for Sims to play in the water as well as large enough to perform the interaction. Looking at your second screenshot, I would start with the terrain in the left hand corner where the water is most shallow and level it across the rest of the shoreline, then raise or lower it in small increments as needed after testing the height (knee-high or so on an adult Sim), and then soften the terrain to blend.

For seeing underwater, you will need to hit the Q key several times in camera mode (or just hold it down). If the camera stops and won’t go below the surface of the water, you may be too close to the Sim(s) in the ocean; try from further away. A good place to start is looking out from the shallow water at the shoreline.

It looks like your Sims were very busy and weren’t stuck at an empty beach this time. :) Sometimes multiple Sims will need rescuing or CPR at the same time like that, and you might have a hard time keeping up. When that happens, I set NRaas Relativity to slow time down a bit so my lifeguard Sim can get to them all, particularly if I’m playing the Seaside Savior LTW. On other days, I’ll throw a party at the beach where my Sim is working so more Sims show up. xD
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @Jeansoo - Glad you were able to get the lifeguard career working in another world. :)

Making the water shallower can be difficult to get exactly right because it has to be the proper depth for Sims to play in the water as well as large enough to perform the interaction. Looking at your second screenshot, I would start with the terrain in the left hand corner where the water is most shallow and level it across the rest of the shoreline, then raise or lower it in small increments as needed after testing the height (knee-high or so on an adult Sim), and then soften the terrain to blend.

For seeing underwater, you will need to hit the Q key several times in camera mode (or just hold it down). If the camera stops and won’t go below the surface of the water, you may be too close to the Sim(s) in the ocean; try from further away. A good place to start is looking out from the shallow water at the shoreline.

It looks like your Sims were very busy and weren’t stuck at an empty beach this time. :) Sometimes multiple Sims will need rescuing or CPR at the same time like that, and you might have a hard time keeping up. When that happens, I set NRaas Relativity to slow time down a bit so my lifeguard Sim can get to them all, particularly if I’m playing the Seaside Savior LTW. On other days, I’ll throw a party at the beach where my Sim is working so more Sims show up. xD

16.png

I tried and it seemed to be ok for playing in the ocean but still no luck. Also I got another issue from editing terrain. After many times of editing terrain, when I quit the game, it quit awkwardly and I get Error files in the sims 3 folder. I had the same sign while after building my own resort. I think it could be from trying to make 'playing in the ocean' possible at the edge of the resort lot in the middle of the sea but anyway I couldn't make it at that time either. Now I almost give up.

"you will need to hit the Q key several times in camera mode (or just hold it down"
    Sorry but I don't think I understand this part because when I hit Q key...I always get the message

17.png

It always happen in live mode and build/buy mode.

Throwing a party is the incredible idea! :D Unfortunately, I got this huge bug after his first day of lifeguard career.
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Unselectable-sims/m-p/9830863#M244088

But I didn't find a way to fix it, so I just got back to older save, and now this guy started a lifeguard.

9.png

He had been in Lifeguard career in Isla Paradiso multiple times before, he is professional in this career. He also knows how to deal with other hotheaded and mean sims. :D On the 1st day at this time, he got only 3 sims to rescue at exactly the same beach lot.

• Options
    Sorry you’re still having problems. Getting the water level exactly right for playing in the ocean can be a pain, but I’ve never had any error issues come from editing terrain. Did you use MOO (the moveobjects on cheat) on your Sim to get him to stand in the water in your first screenshot? I don’t do that, and wouldn’t advise it. I test the depth by sending the Sims into the water in live mode. Have you tried looking at the beachfront lots in Isla Paradiso to get a better idea of the depth and space you’ll need for playing in the ocean? When I’m trying to figure out how to do something myself, I practice on lots that already have that feature so I can learn the techniques and recreate them on my own lots.

The camera/tab function does not work in build/buy mode. You will need to be in live mode and you must press the tab key first. You’ll know you’re in tab mode when the UI disappears and you can move the camera around freely using the keys mentioned in my spoiler. If the quit screen comes up when you press Q, you’re not in tab mode.

I’m not sure what to tell you about the issues with the unselectable Sims; I’ve never had that happen. But it seems you’ve moved on from that save.

Yes, throwing parties and using NRaas Relativity so the days last longer can mean you’ll have more Sims to save, which can help the lifeguard achieve the related LTW faster. :smile:
  • Options
    Sorry you’re still having problems. Getting the water level exactly right for playing in the ocean can be a pain, but I’ve never had any error issues come from editing terrain. Did you use MOO (the moveobjects on cheat) on your Sim to get him to stand in the water in your first screenshot? I don’t do that, and wouldn’t advise it. I test the depth by sending the Sims into the water in live mode. Have you tried looking at the beachfront lots in Isla Paradiso to get a better idea of the depth and space you’ll need for playing in the ocean? When I’m trying to figure out how to do something myself, I practice on lots that already have that feature so I can learn the techniques and recreate them on my own lots.

The camera/tab function does not work in build/buy mode. You will need to be in live mode and you must press the tab key first. You’ll know you’re in tab mode when the UI disappears and you can move the camera around freely using the keys mentioned in my spoiler. If the quit screen comes up when you press Q, you’re not in tab mode.

I’m not sure what to tell you about the issues with the unselectable Sims; I’ve never had that happen. But it seems you’ve moved on from that save.

Yes, throwing parties and using NRaas Relativity so the days last longer can mean you’ll have more Sims to save, which can help the lifeguard achieve the related LTW faster. :smile:

Oh no..I usually don't use move objects cheat for moving the sims. He is my another sim but inactive. I can't control him. I caught the screenshot of him when he was going to swim himself. I appreciate him to enter the water while I was trying to measure the depth.

Ahh...I see the tab key! I didn't do it. I will try this again. I'm in the ocean with the lifeguard sim now. I can start throwing the party now. D

• Options

Oh no..I usually don't use move objects cheat for moving the sims. He is my another sim but inactive. I can't control him. I caught the screenshot of him when he was going to swim himself. I appreciate him to enter the water while I was trying to measure the depth.

Ahh...I see the tab key! I didn't do it. I will try this again. I'm in the ocean with the lifeguard sim now. I can start throwing the party now. D
    Good to know. When I saw your Sim standing in the water without having changed into swimwear and appearing to be idle is why I questioned that.

Yes, being in tab mode is what allows the camera to move freely, and enables you to view things and take screenshots from a variety of heights and angles. Good luck with your lifeguard. :smile:
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Good to know. When I saw your Sim standing in the water without having changed into swimwear and appearing to be idle is why I questioned that.

Yes, being in tab mode is what allows the camera to move freely, and enables you to view things and take screenshots from a variety of heights and angles. Good luck with your lifeguard. :smile:

6.png
    4.png
    5.png
    7.png
    Thanks for the excellent lesson! Finally I did!! :D But it was not easy to make it though..: :'( And..

8.png
    Thank you!! I learnt this eventually. :D

Untitled-6.png
    Now many sims play in the ocean. I'm so happy! :) Even the female plumbot has no legs is playing in the ocean.

Post edited by Jeansoo on
  • Options
    @Jeansoo – It can be difficult to get the water level just right, but it is very rewarding when you get the hang of it. I’m glad you didn’t give up and kept trying. :) It should get easier each time you do it, now that you know how. Well done!

Great pictures! It’s nice to see the legless Plumbot is having fun too! :lol: Another thing I like with the shallow water is that Sims also can take their toddlers into it and help them play in the ocean.

I’m glad you learned how to get your tab camera underwater screenshot too! Congrats! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @Jeansoo – It can be difficult to get the water level just right, but it is very rewarding when you get the hang of it. I’m glad you didn’t give up and kept trying. :) It should get easier each time you do it, now that you know how. Well done!

Great pictures! It’s nice to see the legless Plumbot is having fun too! :lol: Another thing I like with the shallow water is that Sims also can take their toddlers into it and help them play in the ocean.

I’m glad you learned how to get your tab camera underwater screenshot too! Congrats! :)

Thanks! I could do it with your lesson. :D I appreciate you. Yeah actually, I have 2 beach lots I created in Bridgeport. The work spawned in the other beach this time yesterday. I was like...whaaaaat..? should I edit the level agaaaain???? But this time, it took only 30 mins to be done. I gained the terrain job experience in the Sims 3. LOL
    Yes that's right. I love that toddler interaction. :D After the daddy lifeguard sim went to work, mommy sim brings her toddler to the beach where her husband works. And the daddy still can play with his baby while nobody is drowning in the sea.