Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Scottish Highlands Good Setting for Supernaturals?

SimalleyaileSimalleyaile Posts: 865 Member
Edit: It's been confirmed that a ghost STUFF pack is coming soon, and as they don't come with worlds, I've changed the speculation to include all types of supernaturals - which is what we all started to discuss throughout this thread anyway. :)
---

Remember the survey we had a while ago about worlds we'd like for the game? I was a bit surprised that Scottish Highlands was an option. I admit, I've never thought of Scotland as an inspiration for the game. Apart from the stereotypical things - you know, a red-headed sim in a kilt playing bagpipes across an eerie loch while his wife eats shortbread and haggis and his daughter dances the highland fling before they all go off to play a round of golf - I didn't really know much about the place.

I like to research, so I did some. And the first sentence I read was this: "Scotland is considered one of the most haunted places in the world." Mmmmm, says I, that's interesting. The second bit of info that intrigued me was this: "It is estimated that there were once up to 3,000 castles in Scotland."

Castles and Ghosts? Why that sounds like a pretty good base for a Happy Haunts Game Pack!

What do you think? Was your curiosity peaked by Scottish Highlands? Did you wonder what kind of gameplay would accompany such a world? Did your mind go to Ghosts and Castles? Is it going there now? Do you want a world for happy haunts or just the gameplay for existing worlds? Do you want your sims to play bagpipes? Build a castle and live in one? How do you think they could make the Scottish Highlands an interesting world to play in?
Post edited by Simalleyaile on

Comments

• bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    The Scottish Highlands would be perfect for Happy Haunts. I also think it would be a great setting for werewolves, but I probably just associate werewolves with Scotland because of the show Being Human (the UK one). When I think of ghosts in Scotland, I always think of Edinburgh and the tunnels below the city. After saying that, I'd also be intrigued by an explorable catacombs system as well. I really hope they're planning to give us more supernatural content in 2021.
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    The Scottish Highlands would be perfect for Happy Haunts. I also think it would be a great setting for werewolves, but I probably just associate werewolves with Scotland because of the show Being Human (the UK one). When I think of ghosts in Scotland, I always think of Edinburgh and the tunnels below the city. After saying that, I'd also be intrigued by an explorable catacombs system as well. I really hope they're planning to give us more supernatural content in 2021.

Why don't you associate werewolves with An American Werewolf in London? That won an Oscar and it took place on the moors.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,020 Member
    That would be a pretty nice, fun place for a location. Castles would be a great (and potentially creepy) addition. Add some fog, rumor-spreading villagers and dragons, and you have an atmospheric pack.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • SimalleyaileSimalleyaile Posts: 865 Member
    edited November 2020
    @bookish_sammy - I was thinking of werewolves too! After reading about castles and ghosts I started reading about the folklore of Britain - specifically Scotland, but also a bit on England and Wales - and Fairies and Werewolves and Changelings would fit right in with a castle and ghosts pack. I really like all of your ideas.

@superkyle221 - funny you should mention An American Werewolf in London. Hubby and I watched that again just recently. For an old movie, it still holds it's own pretty well. It made me think what they could do for a sims pack. Jack's sort of a twist on a zombie/ghost - definitely some kind of "undead" - sorry, spoiler alert!! - so it's proof that zombies/ghosts and werewolves could make for some fun story lines. I think the devs should definitely have a Movie Night and watch that for inspiration.

@Gordy - Rumour-spreading villagers that become Dragon BBQ! A superstitious trait would be fun to play with.
  • bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    @superkyle221 good question. It's probably because I watched Being Human more recently than the other. An American Werewolf in London is a great movie!

@Simalleyaile Ooo! I love it. I so hope we get something cool.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Scottish Highlands, superstitions, catacombs, and werewolves would be a wonderful combination!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,126 Member
    As a part Scottish gal, I so would love a Highlands World.
    I would love the sims to be based on Highlander, Outlander, Rob Roy, Mary Queen of Scots, a Scottish Werewolf &
    Scotty from the Original Star Trek.
  • jomilejjomilej Posts: 191 Member
    I thought about south Africa. I can see a lot of inspiration to make a great world for Happy Haunts!!
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    Ep. If it's a game pack we won't get as much since we get way less in the Sims4 than we did in the Sims3. Happy Haunts/ dangerous/ cemetery/ wills/funerals/Afterlife/angels/ Simhaven/ Simbad place/ with castles and dragons. That would be awesome.
  • _hanzolo_hanzolo Posts: 74 Member
    Scot here - your initial impression of us got a laugh out of me 😂.

I’m obviously biased here but I would love a Scottish world. I’d love a downtown area that looked like Edinburgh, it’s my favourite city IRL.

I also like when Maxis/EA make a world that draws inspiration from a few different places, and I’d like to see a world that was an amalgamation of Scandinavia/Scotland/Ireland - I think that would be really cool!

• NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited November 2020
    _hanzolo wrote: »

I’m obviously biased here but I would love a Scottish world. I’d love a downtown area that looked like Edinburgh, it’s my favourite city IRL.

I also like when Maxis/EA make a world that draws inspiration from a few different places, and I’d like to see a world that was an amalgamation of Scandinavia/Scotland/Ireland - I think that would be really cool!

Same here I laughed so hard, I'm Scottish I dont have red hair I'm blonde 😂, I cant play the bagpipes but i do eat haggis lol, I'm female so I've never wore a kilt lol, I do have the accent and people outside Scotland find it hard too understand me hahaha, we do have alot of historical landmarks, I work at a hotel and a guest asked me if there was a lift (elevator) at the Wallace monument lol I was like well it was built centuries ago so nope, you've got too walk up all them stairs hahaha, I would love a Scottish inspired world, theres alot more too Scotland than red hair, kilts and bagpipes 😂, once you get away from the buildings, it has amazing untouched natural beauty, we have alot of farm life, fields, if you go further up north in Scotland, you can see the northern lights, the orkneys has a sea that looks like the Caribbean water, our weather is awful however but atleast it keeps the grass green lol , type orkney Scotland in Google to see what talking about its beautiful, the northern lights are seen in orkney,
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Yes! Whether ghosts or Werewolves or the Fae, I'm totally down for a Scottish based world!
    #Team Occult
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,462 Member
    edited November 2020
    I'm 100% for a pack inspired by the Scottish Highlands! But it needs thick fogs and...Death by Bog (monster).

EDIT. Why was I talking about werewolves?
    This thread is not about werewolves... :D
    edited November 2020
    Werewolves and Scotland together ?, what are you trying too say likes 🤣🤣, ano I ran into a few hairy men in my life but come on and ano true scotsman dont wear boxers under there kilts 🤣😂😂, I know on braveheart we were full of rage but there was a reason for that lol, that fight would of been more epic against England if we were werewolves 😂@CAPTAIN_NXR7
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,462 Member
    Nikkih wrote: »
    Werewolves and Scotland together ?, what are you trying too say likes 🤣🤣, ano I ran into a few hairy men in my life but come on and ano true scotsman dont wear boxers under there kilts 🤣😂😂, I know on braveheart we were full of rage but there was a reason for that lol, that fight would of been more epic against England if we were werewolves 😂@CAPTAIN_NXR7

@Nikkih it was a misunderstanding haha. I thought this thread was about a werewolves pack idea with a world inspired by the Scottish Highlands. I deleted the paragraph that I wrote about the legendary werewolves of Ireland -since werewolves are probably more prominent in Irish folkore than Scottish folklore (but hey prove me wrong!)- and then I realized this thread is about Happy Haunts and not Werewolves at all! My little paragraph about werewolves suddenly made no sense whatsoever.

No doubt you’ve got some true Scots running around in kilts (and bare bttcks) over there in the Highlands...I don’t expect otherwise...It’s what some of us do over here too, werewolves or not. 😂

@Nikkih it was a misunderstanding haha. I thought this thread was about a werewolves pack idea with a world inspired by the Scottish Highlands. I deleted the paragraph that I wrote about the legendary werewolves of Ireland -since werewolves are probably more prominent in Irish folkore than Scottish folklore (but hey prove me wrong!)- and then I realized this thread is about Happy Haunts and not Werewolves at all! My little paragraph about werewolves suddenly made no sense whatsoever.

No doubt you’ve got some true Scots running around in kilts (and bare bttcks) over there in the Highlands...I don’t expect otherwise...It’s what some of us do over here too, werewolves or not. 😂

It would of been epic though if scots were werewolves 🤣 it would be like underworld rise of the lyicans lol, I know I was kidden lol, Ireland is beautiful I've been a few times, it's the only place away from Scotland that I didn't feel home sick, everyone was really friendly, they got really chatty to me when they heard my accent, they were like your Scottish, Scotland has got alot of apparently haunted places, theres alot of old buildings @CAPTAIN_NXR7
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I agree
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • SimalleyaileSimalleyaile Posts: 865 Member
    _hanzolo wrote: »

@_hanzolo - oh good, I meant it with great affection, not offense. <3 Plus, I actually really want all of those things in my game! That golf course in Oasis Springs and Newcrest is such a tease! I agree with you about combining a few different places for inspiration. While Japan makes a beautiful setting, I think a little less specific and a wider Asian scope would have been beneficial for SE. I like the combination of Scandinavia/Scotland/Ireland - more of a Celtic influence? What sort of things would you like in it? If it was an EP as @davina1221 suggested, we could have a City neighbourhood inspired by Edinburgh with catacomb exploring, North England and the "Moors" with werewolves, the Highlands with haunted castles, and then give me a tin whistle from Ireland! :)

Same here I laughed so hard, I'm Scottish I dont have red hair I'm blonde 😂, I cant play the bagpipes but i do eat haggis lol, I'm female so I've never wore a kilt lol, I do have the accent and people outside Scotland find it hard too understand me hahaha, we do have alot of historical landmarks, I work at a hotel and a guest asked me if there was a lift (elevator) at the Wallace monument lol I was like well it was built centuries ago so nope, you've got too walk up all them stairs hahaha, I would love a Scottish inspired world, theres alot more too Scotland than red hair, kilts and bagpipes 😂, once you get away from the buildings, it has amazing untouched natural beauty, we have alot of farm life, fields, if you go further up north in Scotland, you can see the northern lights, the orkneys has a sea that looks like the Caribbean water, our weather is awful however but atleast it keeps the grass green lol , type orkney Scotland in Google to see what talking about its beautiful, the northern lights are seen in orkney,

@Nikkih - that reminds me of such a vivid memory I have of the time I first met a Scottish couple. I was only a young teenager and I couldn't understand a word they were saying, but they were so friendly, I just kept nodding and smiling. I was surprised when they showed up the next night to take me to their place - apparently I had agreed to babysit their kids! lol Scotland looks awe-inspiring, and I also read that a few years ago it was voted "The most beautiful place in the world!" I hope I can get over there to visit before I get too old for travel. (I'm from Australia).

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 - awwww noooo! Quick! Type it all out again, I want to read about the werewolves of Ireland! Any ideas are fun to read. This is just a speculation thread, I wondered what the developers have in mind by offerening the Highlands as an option, but who knows, if they read a more interesting idea they may changed their mind, or incorporate some aspect of it. What would you like in your game, more inspiration from Ireland?

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Remember the survey we had a while ago about worlds we'd like for the game? I was a bit surprised that Scottish Highlands was an option. I admit, I've never thought of Scotland as an inspiration for the game. Apart from the stereotypical things - you know, a red-headed sim in a kilt playing bagpipes across an eerie loch while his wife eats shortbread and haggis and his daughter dances the highland fling before they all go off to play a round of golf - I didn't really know much about the place.

I like to research, so I did some. And the first sentence I read was this: "Scotland is considered one of the most haunted places in the world." Mmmmm, says I, that's interesting. The second bit of info that intrigued me was this: "It is estimated that there were once up to 3,000 castles in Scotland."

Castles and Ghosts? Why that sounds like a pretty good base for a Happy Haunts Game Pack!

What do you think? Was your curiosity peaked by Scottish Highlands? Did you wonder what kind of gameplay would accompany such a world? Did your mind go to Ghosts and Castles? Is it going there now? Do you want a world for happy haunts or just the gameplay for existing worlds? Do you want your sims to play bagpipes? Build a castle and live in one? How do you think they could make the Scottish Highlands an interesting world to play in?

Stuffpacks don't come with worlds however the haunted pack could be a Gamepack or Expansion Pack. Scotland sounds like an awesome world to add to TS4 and I'd hope they'd add a place to swim as well.
    Yes we are quite hard too understand, Irish seems too be the only people outside Scotland that dont have any problems understanding a word were saying 🤣, I have a friend from Poland, when we first met I didn't understand her accent and she really didn't understand mine lol, so I know what you mean by just nodding and smiling 😂, now imagine us scots talking with a mask on hahaha if people thought it was hard understanding us before 😳 hahaha, if you ever visit Scotland, around summer time is best, we rain alot in autumn, winter and half of spring 😂, Australia is beautiful I have never been :-) @Simalleyaile
  • _hanzolo_hanzolo Posts: 74 Member
    @Simalleyaile I agree with you on the golf courses, our Sims need more activities!

Both Scotland and Ireland have beautiful green countryside, they could easily combine to make an ambiguous celtic inspired world with crystal clear lochs, castles, hills, mountains, and wildlife. I want moody weather and gothic/Victorian buildings, I’m thinking a dark academia style. A downtown area inspired by Edinburgh would be a dream - don’t forget the pubs!

I love the style of Nordic/Scandinavian houses. I’d love a national park, with glaciers, geysirs, ice fishing, hot springs (like the blue lagoon) etc. And obviously northern lights!

More outdoor activities would be great as it’s a huge part of celtic and Nordic lifestyles. Hiking and cycling trails, kayaking, golf, swimmable lakes (lochs), wildlife photography, picnics.

I feel like werewolves would be a good occult for this world too. It could also be a good farming world!
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member

You know, I was never particularly hyped for either werewolves or a happy haunts-style pack before-- although I would have bought it eventually, and I will be thrilled for the people who do really want it-- but your idea here is brilliant! I would be pretty excited about this combination.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    So, are rose gardens a thing in Scotland? I would love a proper rose garden with big colorful flowers, both bushes and climbing and rambling roses, some on trellises, some on arches. I think they would be really pretty. Maybe our sims could make soap out of them too. Or tea.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited November 2020
    Ooh this is a fab idea. I’ve always wanted to visit the lochs. I was due to finally go on a coach trip to them this year but due to the virus I’ve not been able to travel there and I live in England 😡 Anyway that’s going off topic. I agree with those who say it would be great for a happy haunts with castles, catacombs etc Scotland or even parts of countryside England/Wales/Ireland (north or republic) would be great as a lot of the folklore from these places have stories of fairies, elves etc plus the world could be stunning.
  • whitmartinezwhitmartinez Posts: 139 Member
    I think it's perfect for all kinds of super naturals. The Scots and the Celts are known to believe in many from fairies to leprechauns and many more in between. I'd buy this pack for sure.