Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are you more of a gameplay or a CAS/build mode player?

So I'm definitely more of CAS/build mode player. My main goal is to fully customize my world with both Sims and the perfect homes/lots. I really like making sims with complex family structures and relationships to other sims/families. I often even edit the pre-existing sims to have siblings/parents/cousins/etc just to make them feel more realistic. I've even turned off aging for my main game play and manually age my sims up when I feel like it, but mainly I leave aging static. I guess since I spend so much time making custom families with nuanced relationships to other families and sims in all my worlds, I don't like all that work I put into them to feel wasted if they just end up aging up quickly. Sometimes I do think I've made gameplay a little stagnant without aging. Of course, to make all that work I do in CAS/build mode feel worth it, I do like to play my households to give them careers, relationships, and skills, but I am constantly using cheats to get them to the levels I want them to be.

How about you? What are you main goals when playing the sims?

Comments

• Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    on ts4 definitely cas, i'm a bad builder and unless i'm testing a mod or making my sims pose, i barely touch live mode.
    if we had the create a world tool i'd probably try to build more. but as i tend to start lots of new saves i'm usually rearranging the households and deleting townies, so i guess one of my main game styles is manage worlds? lol
    oh another play style is downloading mods & cc, 15 gb worth of them on the game i'm insane
  • Options
    Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    I'm definitely a CAS player. I have zero talent in building lots lol.
    When I do end up playing, I can't really say I go for "realistic", I just do whatever I feel like at the time. Sometimes I'll build up each skill one-by-one or send my sim(s) to college. Other times I just use cheats to get where I want.
    And I tend to stick to one generation since I don't really enjoy children or elderly sims. It's rare for me to age my sims at all.
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited November 2020
    Gameplay for me. I do like to create good characters and sometimes if really inspired will spend more time in CAS, but I usually just want to get into playing out their sim lives and stories. I rarely build unless I just can't find what I'm looking for... Usually I just redo premade lots or gallery downloads so it fits what I want to play with.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    CAS/live mode if that's a thing. I like to play the game with aging turned off, and when the game spawns a random townie I edit them in CAS.

I also like to take a lot of screenshots with reshade.
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    edited November 2020
    logion wrote: »
    CAS/live mode if that's a thing. I like to play the game with aging turned off, and when the game spawns a random townie I edit them in CAS.

I totally edit all the random townies too. They always have the worst fashion lol
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Gameplay for me. I do like to create good characters and sometimes if really inspired will spend more time in CAS, but I usually just want to get into playing out their sim lives and stories. I rarely build unless I just can't find what I'm looking for... Usually I just redo premade lots or gallery downloads so it fits what I want to play with.

I used to only edit pre-made lots too but I've recently gotten into building and getting creative with the move objects cheats/debugs and I'm obsessed.

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Gameplay. I download all my lots and sims. Except for my main sim couple that I created in CAS over two years ago.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited November 2020
    Gameplay. I like watching my Sim do stuff.

Every now and then I’ll personalize a Sim’s all 5 outfits but majority of the time I won’t. As far as building goes, I tweak a house so that it functions the way I want it to but I don’t go overboard. I don’t use decor or MOO. So I often have to delete a bunch of unnecessary stuff from the house.
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    Gameplay. The sims 4 gameplay bores me so I usually end up building houses hoping one day the gameplay catches up to the CAS/build/buy. When I first started playing the sims when I was a teen the gameplay is what caught my eye. I loved seeing my sim's lives play out and all the funny things that would happen to them. Every day playing the sims 1 brought more adventures and twists and turns. Never a dull moment while playing. The same with the sims 2. There was always something going on in my sim's lives. So many unexpected twists. I feel like the sims 4 is the same thing every day with every sim. Barley anything happens unless I make it happen and a lot of the time I have to pretend that things are happening when they're not.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    Gameplay. The sims 4 gameplay bores me so I usually end up building houses hoping one day the gameplay catches up to the CAS/build/buy. When I first started playing the sims when I was a teen the gameplay is what caught my eye. I loved seeing my sim's lives play out and all the funny things that would happen to them. Every day playing the sims 1 brought more adventures and twists and turns. Never a dull moment while playing. The same with the sims 2. There was always something going on in my sim's lives. So many unexpected twists. I feel like the sims 4 is the same thing every day with every sim. Barley anything happens unless I make it happen and a lot of the time I have to pretend that things are happening when they're not.

I hear the the Sims 2 was so much better with gameplay. I never played, but I wish that the Sims 4 could be more like the Sims 2 from what I hear!
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    So I'm definitely more of CAS/build mode player. My main goal is to fully customize my world with both Sims and the perfect homes/lots. I really like making sims with complex family structures and relationships to other sims/families. I often even edit the pre-existing sims to have siblings/parents/cousins/etc just to make them feel more realistic. I've even turned off aging for my main game play and manually age my sims up when I feel like it, but mainly I leave aging static. I guess since I spend so much time making custom families with nuanced relationships to other families and sims in all my worlds, I don't like all that work I put into them to feel wasted if they just end up aging up quickly. Sometimes I do think I've made gameplay a little stagnant without aging. Of course, to make all that work I do in CAS/build mode feel worth it, I do like to play my households to give them careers, relationships, and skills, but I am constantly using cheats to get them to the levels I want them to be.

It's funny, I would have said I'm a gameplay player, but your description of yourself sounds an awful lot like me. But after I've done all that, I like to play them too.

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    Gameplay. I like playing a single family through multiple generations. I enjoy Sims 4 (with mods) because it ages up the other sims in the world and moves them on with their lives. I also like building, but I tend to like only building lots for my sims. I don't care about making new sims in CAS at all.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Rouensims wrote: »

It's funny, I would have said I'm a gameplay player, but your description of yourself sounds an awful lot like me. But after I've done all that, I like to play them too.

I definitely do enjoy gameplay to an extent - I just find that most of my time in CAS or build mode
    Post edited by permanentrose on
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I would say CAS player more than anything, followed by gameplay. I don't build anything, because I know I wouldn't have the patience. I usually download the houses I like from the gallery, and use them whenever I can.
    I tend to like to make Sims based on fandoms I like, which are ones like Harry Potter, and also make my own, and just go crazy. I have four save files so far, one dedicated to a fandom, which may turn into another fandom through generations. Two save files are a mixture of fandom Sims and my own sims. Finally, my last current save file is dedicated to my Sims 2 sims that I am recreating for Sims 4.
    As for going crazy in the CAS, I tend to take a fandom I like, which would be something like Harry Potter. Follow canon as much as I can, so canon pairings, canon families, even though the Weasleys are too big for the game, so Ginny being born is up to chance. Then I will create a family where some characters like Lily and James are still alive, sometimes I may gender bend some characters. Then after I am done creating them in CAS, I move them into houses where most of them are neighbors. It makes gameplay interesting, and pretty funny too.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I mostly only play in live mode. Building bores me and even though I do enjoy giving makeovers to sims I don't really spend huge amounts of time doing it.
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    I spend most of my time in build mode. I enjoy actual building more than furnishing. That said, I do also spend a fair amount of time in live mode and CAS. But build mode is probably my favourite.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    edited November 2020
    I spend most of my time in CAS, partly because I really enjoy it, partly because I can't always use family PC and my laptop is a potato that can't run live mode smoothly.
    I like making sims with skills and jobs, so I can lately use them as townies. Seeing familiar faces in the world while playing is one of the most pleasant things for me haha.
    Right now I'm also really into gameplay, but usually I get bored with one save game quite fast.
    That's why I'm also making my own save, so it won't be so painful to start a new game. I'm not building everything, lots are mostly from the gallery. But I enjoy building occasionally, when I have ideas.
    Edit: oh, and I always build a house for my current family myself.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Gameplay and Story(I guess) - I like playing live mode with story I have in mind and not just playing the game as is.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    mingusssssmingusssss Posts: 131 Member
    Mostly live mode. I love thinking of a story line and playing it out. I get attached to my sims so I turn ageing off. Whenever I'm ready to see them age up, I turn it on but on long lifespan so it still takes forever for them to age up :lol

I also enjoy CAS mode, especially giving my sims "unique" faces with cc skin details and chosing their hair. I don't always go on CAS though, just when my sims age up and I want to fix the hot mess.

I very rarely go on build mode, only when necessary for the household. However sometimes, if I'm bored with one specific household I have them save up a bunch of money for a home remodel.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    edited November 2020
    I like all aspects, but I'm mostly about the live mode :smile: I love coming up with loose stories for my sims and seeing where they might lead to. Sometimes when I get around I write about them in my blog. It's nice for myself to have some sort of history recorded, although it's only glimpses. I have played the same save rotationally since I got the game, so there's just a lot going on. I guess that's sort of my goal when I play, that I could write something about it.

CAS is just there, it works, but I mainly use it to decide which outfits my sims should wear. I don't really like making new sims. Most of the sims I play are born in the game and I normally don't edit their faces/body.

Build mode is a different story, I can get really into building sometimes. I don't build very often, but I love how easy it is compared to former games. There's nothing quite like playing a family in a house you built yourself or visiting a community lot you made. Makes me happy and proud.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited November 2020
    I'm a gameplay player for the most times. But i do like cas. In what concerns to build mode, i renovate some rooms and expand some houses but nothing more.
  • Options
    CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    I used to be almost strictly gameplay, but now I spend more time in build mode.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    All of it!
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I build and create sims to play with so I guess I am a bit of everything, though I don't spend too much time in CAS.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited November 2020
    My style is a combo of gameplay, building and CAS with rotational play. I do less building but I definitely do it and I redecorate anything.

I go in and out of advanced CAS whenever I want. The pre-mades are just optional characters for me because I'm very comfortable making my own or editing townies. I like editing townies because I end up with quirky characters. With CAS characters, I generally start with a concept and then use the randomizer to find a base for a sim that I then edit until I'm ready to add them to the game. Sometimes I'll go back and add more outfits, etc, later. When townies go into CAS, I'll do advanced editing. More recently, I play with a lot of born-in-game sims but I add new characters to change the dynamics.

I spend most of my time playing but I also update houses whenever I need to. For gameplay, as I mentioned, I'm flipping between a lot of households in a lot of worlds so each theme is different. I do like having suggested optional gameplay goals so that I can decide whether a household will pursue those but I also come up with my own themes for any given household. I use the various packs that I have. I also go through a lot of hair and clothes so that sims do not all look the same.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    Both, but if I had to choose, gameplay. I've been on a building and CAS kick lately but I always get frustrated when I spend most of my time building or styling/creating sims. I like to play out their little lives and get excited for each new generation, to see who my sims will be.