Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS2 as a TS4 player

Comments

• MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,176 Member
    TS2
    It does depend on how you play. If you can live with the older graphics and/or are a die hard control freak rotational player, then TS2 is definitely better. But if you centre your gameplay around one family/household and/or prefer TS4's graphics (or the better CAS/BB) then that's probably better.
    If I still had the option to play TS2, I probably would've played it a lot in the past months because TS4 was too bugged to play.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    Honestly, why not play it? I bounce between 2,3 and 4 all the time. I still enjoy them all. I’m taking a bit of a break from 4 and started 3 backup because I want to relive it and experience world adventures and into the future. I’m having a great time with it and when I’m done there I’ll go back to 4.

So long as you are having fun it’s not really a waste of time! Enjoy 😉
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    TS4
    The Sims 2 is a great game for many reasons, including nostalgia... the game will always be a masterpiece. However, I'd have to say The Sims 4 is better mainly because it's newer and many features are more advanced. For example, I simply cannot go back to Sims 2's method of day/night or season cycles without cringing. The fact that returning home would bring you back to the time you originally left (regardless of the time it was just a moment ago) really bothers me... the same goes for advancing to the next season on another lot, but going back to realize it's back to the previous season again.

Also, Sims 4 has the best CAS and build/buy mode in ANY Sims game!

I'm definitely not saying Sims 2 is a bad game. It's not. Like I said, it's still a masterpiece! It was groundbreaking for its time and should always be praised as one of the best games of all time. It's just a bit dated. There's nothing wrong with that, though! Sims 2 was still the golden era of the franchise... and I don't think we'll ever see another iteration overtake it in that perspective (if that makes sense).

My Favorite Sims Games:
    Sims 3
    Sims 4
    Sims 2
    Sims 1

None of the games are terrible. They all have their pros and cons. In the end, I suppose it really depends on what we're talking about when determining which game is better/worse than another. It's actually kinda complicated to give a direct answer because of this reason. There are good and bad things about all the games.

Sims 3 is my favorite in the franchise, but I definitely still acknowledge its faults. Just like how Sims 1 is my least favorite, but I still acknowledge some good parts about it.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    TS4
    The Sims 4 is a better game overall in my opinion though Sims 2 DEFINITELY is better in the regard of consequences and a few features like wants, fears, hobby enthusiasm, and memories. Playing Sims 2 again last year I realized how much better Sims 4 let's you be more in charge of your stories. Sims 2 had too much focus on caring for the needs in my opinion. I also hate how the skills aren't separated and instead are in categories. Overall, before I keep rambling, I just find Sims 4 better.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Both games have their benefits, I find that Sims 2 gameplay is much better at playing a single household, while Sims 4 has a lot of features that make playing multiple households a lot more fun/easy. I think it really depends on what you expect from the gameplay. I personally prefer Sims 4 because like I said, there's many ways for me to control not only my own sims, but also sims outside of my Sims household, Sims 4 seems to be a lot more focused on social gameplay while Sims 2 is much more focused on single household gameplay.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    TS2
    Ahhhhh.Sims 2. I love the actual game play of sims 2 and the sims themselves were so different and awesome. And they could slow dance.

yEXNFjq.png
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    TS2
    TS2 is better in story/lore, depth, personality, and humor. TS4 looks better graphically and CAS is great. Depends on your playstyle. If youre a builder or like masking sims, TS4. If you value gameplay better, ts2 is the obvious choice
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited November 2020
    Honestly can't speak for 2 as I've never played it but as someone who grew up playing 3, the game sounds really fun in my head but that's just nostalgia speaking. I've tried going back to play it but I just can't get into it anymore.

I think as much as 4 has its faults you get used to playing a different game and how it works. It just becomes a massive shock going back to a game that looks and feels like 2008, and doesn't have a lot of the features we've got used to nowadays and just use all the time without thinking about it (like the gallery).

You get used to all these little things, like in 4 if I don't like a house - straight to the gallery. I'm familiar with the furniture and just know what I like so it's easy to find it, if I want a new sim - straight to the gallery to find a base sim I like and can make my own. Going back to a past game you just lose all those little things you become familiar with and it's hard to get used to not having them again.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited November 2020
    Do I think it's objectively better... no. But do I think it's worth playing still, yes. I played Sims 2 all during it's run and loved it. Maybe I played it out? I know I tried it again a few years ago and had difficulty getting it to actually run, but finally figured it out, then I played it for a few hours and stopped again.. So that's my experience.

I think since you have just played a little while a long time ago you still have a lot to enjoy or try out. If you have access to it why not try it? TS2 has a lot going for it that will steer your gameplay. It also has more chaos and more mature humor. With the Sims 4 you have to steer your gameplay more and to me you have more involved options to do so. So why not enjoy both for what they are if you have access to Sims 2?
    I am assuming you will have access to a fuller version of TS2 writing this by the way. It would be hard to compare otherwise.

Taking a break from a game to play with another isn't a bad thing.
    egTcBMc.png
  • SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    It'd be easy for me to say TS2 is better than TS4 for one simple reason: the sims were more unique with better personalities and AI that actually made much more sense. Further, whims were more varied and specific to each sim. The memories system, likes and dislikes/personalities, made the sims dynamic as well as more challenging. Another thing that helped to add a sense of realism and even drama was that, in TS2, the sims' relationship bars could be (and were) often different, even for two sims in relationship to each other. It seems crazy that in TS4, we've lost so much of those amazing aspects that lent so much to an incredible simming experience.

That said, TS4 offers so much that TS2 didn't have: the calendar system, the ability to save rooms/lots as well as move them (I remember painstaking time spent moving rooms around grid by grid in TS2). TS4 also offers better and more CAS options (though, for the life of me, why give us so many outfit choices when the game is programmed (not glitched) to change said outfits to something we've not, nor can, edit? why not pull in one of the outfits we've created for our sims? smh).

There is a lot I miss from TS2. Not just what I've mentioned above, but all of the other little touches that made the game a bit deeper and more immersive in general. TS4, however good, feels like a lot of fluff compared to TS2. But, I've not gone back. TS4 is good enough for me for now, though I'd love to see TS5 take the best aspects from previous series to give us well-thought out and fully-rounded game play. I kind of doubt that'll happen though....
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    From my perspective, the big reason not to play it would be if you like to spend a lot of time on community lots. In Sims2, every hour you spend on a community lot you have to replay when they get home, but with their needs set at where they were when you left a lot. So if they stay out from 5-11 pm and end up really tired, they'll be really tired at 5 pm when they get home. But if your gameplay will mostly involve staying at home, I enjoyed the game like that for 10 years so I don't see why you wouldn't. I just really like traveling now in Sims 4 so I haven't ever been tempted to go back.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    TS2
    The sims 2 is the better game for gameplay hands down! The sims 4 has better graphics and CAS and build/buy mode is awesome but the gameplay is lacking in so many areas making the game boring. I can still play the sims 2 for hours without getting bored but find myself only playing the sims 4 off and on. Usually when a new pack comes out to see if it approves upon the gameplay. Both games can be fun but for very different reasons. If you like to make sims and build houses but not actually play the sims than the sims 4 is a great game for that but if you like your sims to have different personalities and have something for all life stages and play generations of families than the sims 2 would be better for that.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    TS2
    I chose Sims 2 even if it is the older game, Sims 4 is just all over the place and lacks certain features that Sims 2 had. It may not be graphically superior to Sims 4 but's gameplay is definitely more superior to Sims 4.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    It really depends on what bothers you.

There is so much humor and surprise in TS2! The Sims' interactions feel more meaningful, there's more variety depending on how you set their personalities, and there's so much variety just in the points you assign certain traits. You can build in the world and really personalize things. There are in-game cheats to kill Sims when and how you want to, immediately, if that's what you want. There's a lot of game.

That said, your save can get glitchy just from moving Sims in and out of too many houses. You cannot clean up glasses for them. Their needs are harder to care for. There is very little difference between skinny and fat Sims. Young adult only exists in college. The graphics aren't great and the clothes are ridiculously out of style, but if old graphics feel retro and fun, that doesn't matter.

I tried playing TS2 after years and couldn't get past some of the old features. I really wish I wasn't so bothered by the things I listed because TS2 was a great game. It's really up to everyone on their own.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,948 Member
    depends on what you want to play with really

ts2 gameplay: awesome
    ts2 build and cas: very lacking

ts4 gameplay: very lacking
    ts4 build and cas: awesome

ts3: I don't really like it much in general so idk i dont really play it anymore

ts1: love the nostalgia and weirdness of it so i play sometimes and its just big vibe but its old game and has its annoyances
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    TS2
    I think everyone should at least try the Sims 2 base game especially as a gameplay player. For building the Sims 2 may seem a bit outdated. Sims 3 is more of a builders and CAS game. Sims 2 and 4 have similar cartoon art style and many of the styles have been carried forward from the Sims 2 to the Sims 4, so I think you would enjoy it. I think it is much harder for Sims 4 players to play the Sims 1 game because the difficulty level is the polar opposite, so could be challenging for people to play now. But Sims 2, nah you'll be fine. Some of the Gurus have gone back and played Sims 2 again too and been impressed.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • gnelso1239gnelso1239 Posts: 190 Member
    edited November 2020
    I desperately miss the detail AND nostalgia of Sims2. Unfortunately, I chose S4 because of the graphics, multi-tasking, and a few other features. Though the fact that it's a narrow gap between the two, and that's against a game released so long ago is beyond remarkable. I've played since the original. Sims2 as a mold will never be replicated and is legendary-status in my book.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    TS2
    Each one has its strengths, but The Sims 2's attention to detail and gameplay design still remains the best out of all of the series.

Really, the gameplay of these games hasn't changed much in 15 years. It's the same gameplay loop of acquiring a job, skilling up, networking, getting rich, and rinse/repeat. The Sims 2's rate of progression just feels far more satisfying though, and when you achieve something, it feels you really earned it. I don't get that feeling in The Sims 4 because I feel it's just way too easy and predictable at every corner.

And, of course, the little things like having to physically go to a grocery store to be able to feed your Sims, clothing stores to buy new clothes, owning a shop/restaurant your Sim loves going to, owning multiple vacation homes, multiple cars, etc. just makes it worthwhile and fun.
  • akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    You need a selection for "other". I wouldn't say one was better or worse than the other, just different. S4 has better worlds, magic and vampires. S2 has a better attraction system, romantic options and dancing together, I play them both. I also still play S3 and Medieval/Pirates.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    TS2
    If TS2 is being remade to be on par with TS4, that would be dream comes true.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    I play 1,2, 3, and 4. TS4 has better graphics, but Sims 2 still holds its own with gameplay. I enjoy both. TS3 really was my jam, though. I still prefer 3 to all others.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,544 Member
    TS4
    I adored TS2 in its time, it really was the best!

Some fantastic gameplay (oh, how i loved OFB) and I lost myself in the game for hours upon end.

Sadly, I have tried going back to it and just can't do it. The graphics, the non-ageing of townies, the non-passing of time when you travel and return home, the building aspects. All of these and more are what put me off, so I am happier in TS4 now.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    TS2
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Each one has its strengths, but The Sims 2's attention to detail and gameplay design still remains the best out of all of the series.

Really, the gameplay of these games hasn't changed much in 15 years. It's the same gameplay loop of acquiring a job, skilling up, networking, getting rich, and rinse/repeat. The Sims 2's rate of progression just feels far more satisfying though, and when you achieve something, it feels you really earned it. I don't get that feeling in The Sims 4 because I feel it's just way too easy and predictable at every corner.

And, of course, the little things like having to physically go to a grocery store to be able to feed your Sims, clothing stores to buy new clothes, owning a shop/restaurant your Sim loves going to, owning multiple vacation homes, multiple cars, etc. just makes it worthwhile and fun.

I so agree even better than Sims 3 as Sims 3 is very good and has excellent features but it lacks on the Sims part. There is more editing tools for Sims 2 and in Sims 4 you cannot edit anything outside of the lots and Sims 3 shine in this area. Sims Worlds are the same regardless on what lots you lay down as the playing field is permanently static.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    TS2
    I still play TS2 and it's super fun.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    TS4
    I think it's worth it to try ts2 (especially since it's technically legal to "pirate" that game since EA no longer sells it and they didn't sell the sale rights to anyone else, the only way to get it legitimately anymore is secondhand, so the game is considered abandonware now), but if you have OCD you may not have as much fun as Sims 4. There are a lot of things you can't control about the sims without mods (ex. their lifetime wish, their interests, their favorite hobby) so if you like micromanaging your game you may not enjoy it as much as ts4 which gives you complete control.

My favorite sims games in order would be ts3, ts4, ts2, then ts1, but I have fun with all of them. I think it's worth a try to play sims 2, even if you end up not playing it much and going back to sims 4 shortly after, especially since you don't need to sink any money into it.