Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you play with whims on? How would you improve them?

Title is pretty self explanatory.

I feel like with the inclusion of Sentiments and Lifestyles, Whims should have been brought back and overhauled to fit :
1) Sentiments toward a sim, like "Argue with X" when you have the "Fury" Sentiment toward a sim or "Kiss X" when you have the "Deeply in love" sentiment, and so on
2) Lifestyles, as in have whims related to your Sim's active lifestyles

What's been implemented is already one step toward giving our sims more depth but I can't help but think that more could be (or could have been) done with the already existing whims (which are a nice feature on paper but badly implemented to the point that they removed them by default, uh).

I don't want to feel like an almighty god that HAS to make things happen for them to happen, I want to feel like my sims have a mind and a will on their own and that they are the ones driving gameplay with the traits I gave them and sentiments and active lifestyles I made happen.
Whims, like the Wants from Sims 2, are a way to give them this depth, but it need an overhaul for that. Maybe I'm just dreaming. Maybe some modder is already working on it. Who knows.

How would YOU improve whims?

Comments

• DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    I definitely play with whims on and I really wish there were more different types of whims. EA gave up on them at some point and I want more whims for the different packs. I think your ideas are great too and I want that as well.

I like that there's one whim related to their mood, I just wish it was also related to the specific sim's circumstances and traits.
  • nasch_katzenasch_katze Posts: 193 Member
    Just realized I posted that on the wrong section, sorry!!
    Duvelina wrote: »
    I definitely play with whims on and I really wish there were more different types of whims. EA gave up on them at some point and I want more whims for the different packs. I think your ideas are great too and I want that as well.

I like that there's one whim related to their mood, I just wish it was also related to the specific sim's circumstances and traits.

I like the idea! How would you make that work?
    edited November 2020
    Just realized I posted that on the wrong section, sorry!!
    Duvelina wrote: »

I like the idea! How would you make that work?

It also relates to their buffs then, I guess. For example, if a sim becomes angry because they saw their spouse cheating and they have the hotheaded trait, they might get an angry whim related to the specific cheating situation, like yelling at their spouse or the person they cheated with.
  • rambahadoerrambahadoer Posts: 405 Member
    i currently play with the whims turned off because of getting the same generic ones like buy a bee box for every sim. I would love for them to be completely overhauled into a wants and fears systems from ts2 and these wants and fears are based on a couple of things like

-traits
    -current emotion
    -current things happening in there life like got into a fight or a break up

so for example one sims just got flirty with another sim now their wants are things like flirt with this sim try to kiss this sim etc
    and their fears are things like the other sim rejecting them

but in another example if you have an unflirty sim they would not really like the flirt and fear that the other sim possibly tries to

this would add even more depth to the sims and would imo make gameplay a lotm ore interesting
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    First, they should fix those already in the game. There are pet-related whims that keep appearing even when you no longer have a pet in the household. Whims added in seasons that keep reappearing regardless of the sims' interests (buy bee box/water balloons etc.).
    Then, to add whims for all the past packs where they make sense.

Only after that, they could actually start building on it - which would be welcome.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    I have them turned off. If the developers decided to add new whims related to new packs I'd enable them again.
  • HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    I play through the whims and aspirations and yeah, I would love some more fine tuning. I kinda forget to level my spellcasters because unlike vampires, who will get whims to do things, spellcasters don't and I'm just like "Uhh I'm not getting anything interesting, oh yeah maybe I could level spells for a bit."

Otherwise I'm kinda directed more towards doing things for the aspiration, which I'm cool with. But also, mumblegrumblebeeboxandpoolwhims.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    It would be amazing if they could give even more depth to the whims (like ones related to specific sentiments and lifestyles, as someone suggested above), but first, they'd have to fix the current whims : tone down the whims to buy stuff so they at least don't repeat or are related to a sims personality so not everyone is compelled to buy the same thing all the time and add whims related to newer packs. I want them to do at least that. If the devs ever decide to make them even better, great, but I'm not expecting that in this iteration of the Sims.

I wish the whims hadn't been left aside like that. It was a big feature that, if properly implemented, could make it seem like our sims actually had things they wanted apart from the big life goals that you just change manually and know everything about beforehand, and it is a large part of how I accumulate points to buy the reward traits, but they're all very repetitive, especially with the lack of new additions.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Tone down the buying whims by a lot. My sims are aggressive with their need to buy a bee box and it's highly annoying.
    Make them more specific to sims traits.
    Start adding in new ones with each new pack so each pack has unique specific whims related to them.
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I play with whims on. But most whims my Sims get are pretty pointless. The constant walk dog when they don't even own a dog. Whims should be tied to Sims traits or a mood they're in. Sometimes the whims make sense but I'd say 90% of the time, they're just repeatable ones that don't have anything to do with anything. & not having whims for the new packs is like a huge missed opportunity. I think they could have tied nicely with sentiments and lifestyles....but again, another missed opportunity
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I’d like to have fewer whims to buy things, and particularly less judgment about what is a household necessity. Sims do just fine without TVs and dishwashers. I had neither of those for many years. Otherwise, I love whims.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I love whims, and like Sims 2, sims are trainable - just don't close your game in S4. I haven't really done much with the pseudo memory system we just got, but it may make the whims more trainable than ever. I just need MORE whims, like seriously. Even with Whim Overhaul (by Bienchen, needs to be updated, but it should help those of you who are getting the same whims repeatedly) there are only so many whims to fulfill and train my sims to prefer.
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    I play with whims on because it's extra lifetime points and a reason to live. My sims feel like they amble through life with no real goal without something to strive for.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Has anyone tried the share personal life goals social yet? Wonder what that does...and if it has anything to do with whims.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I really really wanted to like whims. But ts4 whims are so broken the team has given up already. There is no continuity of the whims , everything seems just random and repetitive ...
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member

I feel like with the inclusion of Sentiments and Lifestyles, Whims should have been brought back and overhauled to fit :
    1) Sentiments toward a sim, like "Argue with X" when you have the "Fury" Sentiment toward a sim or "Kiss X" when you have the "Deeply in love" sentiment, and so on

What's been implemented is already one step toward giving our sims more depth but I can't help but think that more could be (or could have been) done with the already existing whims (which are a nice feature on paper but badly implemented to the point that they removed them by default, uh).

I don't want to feel like an almighty god that HAS to make things happen for them to happen, I want to feel like my sims have a mind and a will on their own and that they are the ones driving gameplay with the traits I gave them and sentiments and active lifestyles I made happen.
    Whims, like the Wants from Sims 2, are a way to give them this depth, but it need an overhaul for that. Maybe I'm just dreaming. Maybe some modder is already working on it. Who knows.

@nasch_katze Agreed. I'd do the same.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    I can sum this up quickly. Just literally copy paste the sims 3 system, nothing wrong with it. Or if they're feeling bold they can do sims 2, which had the best want and fear system in any sims game.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    I do play with whims on, but only so my sim can earn random points from actions that I'm already doing. I never look at, or read the whims.

My issue with them is that their icons are so bland. They're mostly the same color, simple outlines where you can barely tell them apart. In Sims 3, I was always looking at wants because they were colorful, detailed, and in your face. They mattered, lol.

In summary, I would improve whims by making them colorful, detailed, and adding the missing whims from recent packs.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Has anyone tried the share personal life goals social yet? Wonder what that does...and if it has anything to do with whims.

I have. Nothing in particular appeared to happen afterward.

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I play with the whims on, but I find that when I didn't have that many expansions the whims seemed a bit more unique. My first Sims 4 games were the base game and cats and dogs. As I added more, the whims became more uniform, after seasons, all the sims wanted to own a bee box. This kind of continues as I add more, and the Sims have a sameness to them, but I keep them on, because making them fulfill their whim can help turn their mood around.
    I had (still have) Sims 2, and even though many wants and fears were similar, each one was ultimately unique to them. I had many Knowledge sims who wanted the same thing, but reacted differently. For example, I had two sims that wanted to see a ghost, one got scared after fulfilling their want, while the other one was super happy with fulfilling their want.
    I feel if Sims 4 whims were more unique like wants and fears, it would make the game more fun. Like the whims being the same isn't bad, but the reactions are exactly the same, which is what I don't like.
  • SjofnSjofn Posts: 332 Member
    edited November 2020
    I love whims, and like Sims 2, sims are trainable - just don't close your game in S4. I haven't really done much with the pseudo memory system we just got, but it may make the whims more trainable than ever. I just need MORE whims, like seriously. Even with Whim Overhaul (by Bienchen, needs to be updated, but it should help those of you who are getting the same whims repeatedly) there are only so many whims to fulfill and train my sims to prefer.

I use that mod too, and the massive toning down of the 'buy stuff' whims makes a big difference. So I guess that would be my main suggestion for making whims feel better for more people: chill out on those particular whims and keep adding non-buy-stuff ones that make sense for whatever pack's being added.

(also I don't know why people think they stopped adding them, they haven't?)
    Sjofn wrote: »

I use that mod too, and the massive toning down of the 'buy stuff' whims makes a big difference. So I guess that would be my main suggestion for making whims feel better for more people: chill out on those particular whims and keep adding non-buy-stuff ones that make sense for whatever pack's being added.

(also I don't know why people think they stopped adding them, they haven't?)

I don't think any new whims have been added after Strangerville in 2019, unless Snowy Escape brought some in.
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    edited February 2021

I do really like the idea with whims because it can push the game in a new direction, give some more challenges to the game and bring more depth to a sim. But I often have to turn them of because they really lacking ( …but also wanna say that I really appreciate that they have done a little updating on them… I haven’t got the bee box whim for a pretty long time now… :# hehe). I do really hope that we can get an improved whims system, here’s my suggestions:

1. More whims at the same time (not just 3)

2. Both negative & positive whims (want & fears)

3. Whims affecting Satisfaction points + Self Esteem system + Meaningfulness system => LIFE STRUGGLES PACK

4. Whims from Sentiments / Relationships / Lifestyles / Hobbies system / Attraction system / Favorites & Dislikes

5. Whims from a chosen Life direction (lifelong aspiration that can be changed at any time) +Quest want:
    8rwn35j5bv0z.png
    You can have up to 3 different directions (aspirations) ongoing at the same time. The directions will give your sim negative & positive whims (want & fears), complete and gain / lose Satisfaction points + Meaningfullness points + Self-esteem points. You will also get an button for a Quest want. Click on this button to get assigned to a quest (the quest is based upon your chosen directions, is time limited and include several tasks). At the end of your sims lifetime, their tombstone will show what direction your sims found as most important (what directions their mostly picked) and what direction your sim was mostly successful in. You can change your sims directions at any time.

Pick 3 directions from following categories:
    (They can all be from the same category or from different categories):
    1. Family 2. Romantic 3. Pleasure 4. Career 5. Money 6. Popularity 7. Knowledge
    8. Power 9. Hedonism 10. Goodness 11. Spiritual & Personal development
    12. Health & Wellbeing 13. Vanity 14. Evilness 15. Criminality 16. Nature 17. Animals & Wildlife
    18. Travel & Experiences 19. Interest & Hobbies 20. Random
    (you will have the possibility to choose which directions to randomize from if you don´t want all of them)

A sim that goes for a longer period of time without completing any...
    *Whims will get the moodlet Life feels meh (+1 Bored and Decreasing Meaningfulness points).
    *Quest wants will get the moodlet No direction in life (+1 Tensed and Decreasing Meaningfulness points).

FROM THE LIFE STRUGGLES PACK (Self Esteem system & Meaningfulness system)
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/986200/life-struggles-pack-updates-sims-4-memory-system-consequences-wants-fears-personality-overhaul

Post edited by carpe_diem on
  • Lisamango0Lisamango0 Posts: 150 Member
    Okay first: LOVE THE PROFILE PIC OF GUMSHOEEE <3

Now back on topic: I agree with what's been said by you and by the people above me. I do play with whims on because sometimes I like to do them, and it gives them extra points.

- I want to have more Whims visible to me that I can act on.
    - It would be so much better if the whims did fit the lifestyle & Sentiments as you said
    - Different whims, with different emotions; not all wintery ones in winter, or lovey ones with a romantic emotion.

All in all; it has been said by you all. The whims should be there to make sims more 'realistic' , also some silly ones between; and just to make it look like my sim has a free will.
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    They need to be completely overhauled and should add some depth to our sims and their personality. They should be related to the specific sim you are playing and every sim should not have the exact same whims coming up all the time. All they really need to do is get tips from TS3 and TS2 since they did great with the way they handled these.