Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My game keeps crashing since the patch

Hey,

my game keeps crashing since the patch. No mods, good PC, repaired the Visual Studio C files - maybe I should download these again? Anyone have a link?

It's very annoying because I can't play through more than 2 sim days without it crashing. I'm playing a vampire and a witch and butler. In case it matters: my vampire also can't turn just about everyone into a vampire anymore, only sims he has a good relationship with.

Anyway, fixes or suggestions welcome because it's REALLY annoying me... Never had this issue before.

Comments

• Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Yup screw it, keeps crashing every 5 seconds. What joy.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited November 2020
    @SimTrippy Have you tried resetting your Sims 4 folder in documents? Backup your saves and tray files and then delete it and load your game. Also I saw somewhere that there could be a permission issue with the sims 4 folder that prevents the game from working properly. The game needs to be able to read/write the folder.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    Yes I tried completely resetting it, no difference .. I downloaded Visual C, repaired the game, repaired it again, reset it. I don't know what to do tbh. Do you know how to test for that permission issue? Wouldn't that prevent Origin from opening the game altogether though?

Man I wish I could just roll back this patch. Probably won't be able to play SE either lol. 🐸🐸🐸🐸 this.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    @SimTrippy Check permissions of the folder - just right click the Electronic Arts (not the sims 4 folder my bad) and choose properties and then security - there you can see all the permissions for accounts on the computer - you need to make sure your account is allowed to read/write to the folder. ALSO it could be your anti-virus blocking stuff aswell. I know Crinrict has some information on how to do that, because it's different depending on what AV you have installed.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    Aine wrote: »
    @SimTrippy Check permissions of the folder - just right click the Electronic Arts (not the sims 4 folder my bad) and choose properties and then security - there you can see all the permissions for accounts on the computer - you need to make sure your account is allowed to read/write to the folder. ALSO it could be your anti-virus blocking stuff aswell. I know Crinrict has some information on how to do that, because it's different depending on what AV you have installed.

I will check that later today, thank you for trying to help, I really appreciate it.

For now I will play AC Valhalla because I'm not about to spend 50% of my day off fixing TS4 😂

I'll let you know if it worked later. Again, thanks!
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    @SimTrippy Also, this might be an obvious one that you've already done, but have you restarted your computer since you updated? I ask only because nowadays people tend to leave the computer on, and especially since you updated Visual c++ closing down your pc at least once would be good. Just in case you haven't already.

Also, you're very welcome, I know how frustrating it can be when something doesn't work. Have fun with AC!
    Allons-y!

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited November 2020
    Didn't anyone else except me get that "conditions" notice to tick before downloading the Patch? The whole screen was blurred out until I ticked that box.

I've got the feeling that relevant Windows updates might have been installed with my patch. I've got the very latest Windows 10 updates though as an "Insider"
  • Options
    Simburian wrote: »
    Didn't anyone else except me get that "conditions" notice to tick before downloading the Patch? The whole screen was blurred out until I ticked that box.

I've got the feeling that relevant Windows updates might have been installed with my patch. I've got the very latest Windows 10 updates though as an "Insider"

Do you mean that ridiculous 2004 update? I've been avoiding that because it is really buggy..
  • Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Do you mean that ridiculous 2004 update? I've been avoiding that because it is really buggy..

Ohhh, that might be why your game crashes - they can only guarantee that the game works on the latest OS versions - they can't do back compatibility, I don't think.
    Allons-y!

• Options

Ohhh, that might be why your game crashes - they can only guarantee that the game works on the latest OS versions - they can't do back compatibility, I don't think.

It's possible but afaik it's an update windows doesn't push for reasons of instability, so it would surprise me. Unless something changes on Windows' side of course, will check.
  • Options

I don't know what you are talking about. I'm having no problems so I seem to be right don't I?

No. I have every pack since the game came out and I STILL had that Service and conditions message before I was allowed to download and install the Patch. It must be connected to EAPlay and Microsoft teaming up and having to have all the latest Windows 10 updates on my machine. Nothing to do with 2004.

I don't use any mods or cc, playing vanilla too. So it you have any of them and having problems take them out and repair your game before it.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    @SimTrippy Also, this might be an obvious one that you've already done, but have you restarted your computer since you updated? I ask only because nowadays people tend to leave the computer on, and especially since you updated Visual c++ closing down your pc at least once would be good. Just in case you haven't already.

Also, you're very welcome, I know how frustrating it can be when something doesn't work. Have fun with AC!

So to come back to this: yes I did restart my PC (both after patching, and after checking for the Visual C stuff).

I see now that there is an update for Windows, so downloading that now, also updated my NVIDIA drivers. Fingers crossed! I see it appears to be a more common issue after all which is at least a little reassuring since that means they might just release an emergency patch if none of these things do the trick :/
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/CURRENT-ISSUE-Game-Crashes-after-November-2020-Patch/m-p/9716510

Will keep you posted. Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    @Aine @

I don't know what you are talking about. I'm having no problems so I seem to be right don't I?

No. I have every pack since the game came out and I STILL had that Service and conditions message before I was allowed to download and install the Patch. It must be connected to EAPlay and Microsoft teaming up and having to have all the latest Windows 10 updates on my machine. Nothing to do with 2004.

I don't use any mods or cc, playing vanilla too. So it you have any of them and having problems take them out and repair your game before it.

Ridiculous wasn't targeted at you but at the Windows 2004 update which caused a lot of issues for very many people, myself included but only on my laptop. Hence why I never put it on my PC after I spent over an hour rolling it back on my laptop. But because it was so unstable (ever since its first release in I think early 2020) and Microsoft was aware of this, they never actively pushed the update.

That being said I see that they have now released update 20H2 on top of the old 2004 update, which also fixes a lot of that last update's bugs.

So I have installed both of them now and it seems I haven't had any crashes for the last 15 minutes I played. So thank you!

I never said you were wrong btw just that the update (the Windows one) was ridiculous 😂

@Simburian just for reference, the 2004 one https://www.itworldcanada.com/article/dont-install-the-windows-10-update-2004-until-these-issues-are-fixed/431484

And like I stated in my post I don't use any mods or CC either :) Anyway let's hope the crashes continue to stay away.
  • Options
    Nope, still crashing -_-
  • Options
    @SimTrippy Ah that's weird - I'm updating my windows and stuff myself, and now I'm scared to load the game. :D

Someone said playing offline might help, so maybe it's a origin issue, since the game is connected to that? There's something iffy going on with the connection. Must be on EA's side in that case. Origin is such a mess.
    Allons-y!

• Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited November 2020
    I got that permissions notice too when I downloaded the patch, and it kept setting off my anti-virus with a notification that Sims464bit.exe was engaging in suspicious behavior. That has never happened to me before. I thought it was just my Norton anti-virus acting up because my computer has been painfully slow an I have had a lot more lag in my game ever since I switched to it in September. Also, after the patch it wouldn’t let me save builds to my library or the gallery at all.

So I uninstalled Norton and am just using Windows Defender for now until I can re-install PCMatic later today. After I took Norton off I didn’t notice any real issues, but have to admit I won’t get a lot of time to play until this afternoon.

I have seen other people on here and on Twitter post that the patch tripped their antivirus too, which seems weird.

ETA: I have seen several people post that 3X speed seems to be at least one trigger for crashing.
  • Options
    @SimTrippy Ah that's weird - I'm updating my windows and stuff myself, and now I'm scared to load the game. :D

Someone said playing offline might help, so maybe it's a origin issue, since the game is connected to that? There's something iffy going on with the connection. Must be on EA's side in that case. Origin is such a mess.

@Aine I think changing the permission in settings did actually do the trick! Haven't had a crash in about 20 minutes now. I'm knocking on wood here lol but it also means you might be safe to update. No promises lol.

@Pamtastic72 YES! My crashes all happened in 3x speed. Trying to avoid it for now but before I changed the sharing permissions to "everyone" & read/write it would even crash without it. But you're right that speeding up definitely made it worse.

Thanks again everyone, I'm glad this community is so helpful, I was freaking out a little. Let's hope this fixed it!
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited November 2020
    I got that permissions notice too when I downloaded the patch, and it kept setting off my anti-virus with a notification that Sims464bit.exe was engaging in suspicious behavior. That has never happened to me before. I thought it was just my Norton anti-virus acting up because my computer has been painfully slow an I have had a lot more lag in my game ever since I switched to it in September. Also, after the patch it wouldn’t let me save builds to my library or the gallery at all.

So I uninstalled Norton and am just using Windows Defender for now until I can re-install PCMatic later today. After I took Norton off I didn’t notice any real issues, but have to admit I won’t get a lot of time to play until this afternoon.

I have seen other people on here and on Twitter post that the patch tripped their antivirus too, which seems weird.

ETA: I have seen several people post that 3X speed seems to be at least one trigger for crashing.

It's really weird that the update triggers the antivirus, the update must be modifying the game so that Norton thinks the update is a trojan.

You should be able to add the sims4 64bit.exe as an exception so you don't have to take your antivirus offline or uninstall it.

Maxis, I recommend that you report to Norton that this update is a false positive. People should not have to add their game as an exception or disable their antivirus.
  • Options
    Update: it crashed again lol but at least it's now every 20 minutes instead of every 5 I guess? Man I hope they fix this!
  • Options

Have Norton got a Feedback for reporting problems that you can access?
    I got something like that once with a Prima Sims Medieval Guidebook download and reported to my Virus program and Prima. Prima gave me a free e-book for being the first to report it. It got sorted shortly after. These companies should sort out their permissions with each other before inflicting new programs & patches on us. :(

I haven't had any virus problems (touch wood) just using Windows Defender with Windows 10. It gets updates nearly every day. You just need to look at its' taskbar icon to see if a new one is available.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Arrrrhhgh this is driving me nuts. Now we're pack to the game crashing every few seconds, rather than minutes lol.

I give up, I think they need to do some serious emergency patching...
  • Options
    bdmilsbdmils Posts: 2 New Member
    I am having problems as well since the patch/update. My game seems to pause and then crash randomly. Either on its own or when trying to interact with an objects like clicking on the fridge, clicking on the mailbox, clicking on TV sometimes the Sim itself becomes unclickable. Unable to identify anything that would cause the issue. The pause/crash isn't oblivious at first because you see the Sims standing there moving slightly, you can see them breathing, looking around occasionally. Car traffic is still passing by and the tree's moving etc., but the in-game clock/time (minutes/hours) is not progressing. I cant click on anything else and have to wait. It stays like this whether I click pause, game speed 1x, 2x, or 3x. Then a few moments later, it unfreezes after about 5-10 minutes and the menu for the first object i clicked on shows up. The very next time i click on another object the same thing happens. After about the 3rd attempt to click any object it freezes for a long time and then crashes with the following message:

The Sims 4 has stopped working
    A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
    Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available

I tried saving and then exiting, but that failed as well.

Troubleshooting performed and details:

Details:
    Windows 10: Up-to-date
    Dell Latitude 5500
    All device drivers up-to-date
    No mods
    Scripts not allowed

Troubleshooting performed with no changes. Issue persists:
    Closed out the game, started again
    Restarted/rebooted my device
    Uninstalled Sims 4 along with all expansion packs, deleted Sims 4 folder in Program Files (x86), then re-installed using Origin client
    Tried playing after disabling my A/V (Bitdefender)
    Tried playing after launched game in offline mode

Once again, the game was working fine before the update.
    Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    OceanbornAngel13OceanbornAngel13 Posts: 104 Member
    I too have been having my Game crashing out of the blue after installing the new patch. Please fix this.
    You know, I don't just play The Sims 4. ^_^
  • Options
    @bdmils @OceanbornAngel13 be sure to share your lastCrash.txt, config.log & dxdiag on the Answers HQ post:

The more data they have the faster they'll fix this! :)
  • Options
    IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    I really hope they'll patch this before Snowy Escape launches.