Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Creative Textures, the cut tutorial in Sims 2, and other Tutorial world quirks

DevalaousDevalaous Posts: 1,286 Member
Ive known about this for a while, and its recently gotten a small amount of exposure on the wiki, but figured I'd share it with others incase its still widely unknown; Sims 2's tutorial was once going to have an additional tutorial teaching players how to texture their builds well and creatively.

You can see it ingame by converting the Tutorial world into a proper playable world, and you can see strings related to 'Creative Textures' in SimPE if you look at the tutorial world files. I wont be covering exactly how to make the world playable, as its on the various sims wikis.

qlckgvs.png
Fixed up, it behaves like a seventh neighbourhood. You cant keep the world name as Tutorial though or all the tutorial functions still occur.

w7AIWSF.png
The tutorial world has some interesting quirks, such as multiple Joe and Jane sims. I had already surgically removed the copies, but I think I didnt do it properly, so I'll need to start from scratch later.

72JtPtl.png
See that big green lot though? That is Creative Textures. It is a remnant of early development, so the neighbourhood view is broken for the lot. The two empty lots in the background are what proper empty lots should look like. Those are the two building tutorial lots actually! (Although these two have black borders around them that is also an error)

1OtDvnJ.png
Loading up the big green lot though, I first expected nothing but an empty field. But behold, its a full-on secret 50x50 lot!

G2dC40g.png
qVs15wz.png
As befits the name of the tutorial, it has four seperate buildings in various states of texturing. Some are untextured in places, and its unknown what exactly the prompts would have been, unless people have found that in the code.

HZEuWWq.png
The lot isnt actually properly aligned to the road, and it causes the road section to duplicate. Picking up the lot and moving it down to connect to the road will fix this, as the lot is actually placed somewhere it cant normally be placed

YgvDXIE.png
The green lot can easily be fixed by raising the terrain on the lot and then levelling it back to the original state (not via 'undo'), this updates the lot code to the release version and rebuilds it. I do this to all 6 lots on the world just to be sure, it definitely fixes the black edges on the two building lots.

I find the Tutorial World the ideal place for testing builds and playing with the lot bin houses that rarely fit into the existing 6 neighbourhoods, and since it has no townies and a small pool of premade NPCs, you get a lot of brand new characters every game. Currently working on making it the center of an Uberhood, just need to figure out how to convert the Life Stories neighbourhoods to shopping districts, so I can have every official world in one :D

Rebuilding Sims 2 inside Sims 3 one lot and sim at a time.

See my Sims 3 studio for latest progress.