Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Who else misses the randomness and challenge of the sims 2?

Comments

• Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I like some randomness. I do like being able to decide to extinguish fires because I personally don't kill my sims early. If that's an option that you can set kind of like how you can decide whether a townie is cullable, I'd be fine with that. There are some sims that I might let go that way but I'm not into killing mine off. I am interested in more variable random events. I'd also like the game to be less childish, but I generally have happy sims with some random drama at times.

I would have interest in more surprises such as the ability to lose ones job and more reactions when sims do go to the Reaper. I like avoiding death for my playable households generally but I might allow occasional tragedy. Yeah, my style might be considered more like micro-management but I have a lot of fun. I generally guide my sims through whatever they are doing rather than just watching them. I mostly make functional households and play with various characters that develop, then I see how they interact in a large rotation. For variety, I switch the household.

I would like a "lifestyles of the rich" pack in which sims can make ... or lose ... money or jobs. I also allow some stress or some character quirks into the game; I might play with the new Salary Person job. I'm just not interested in playing a lot of tragedy or arguments. I have a few characters who are more villainous or create drama. Break ups and divorce might happen. Tragedy might happen every so often, but I'm not trying to kill off my sims. I do want better reactions to death and might have interest in a death-related pack depending on how it's done and whether there's anything for me.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    ArcherDK wrote: »
    Off-topic, but people complain about Sims 4 lacking challenge and depth of Sims 2 and yet STILL continue to play Sims 4. Why not just play Sims 2? NO - worse graphics is NOT an excuse. We are talking about GAMEEPLAY.

I went from the first iteration of the Sims to Sims 4. Never played or owned Sims 2. I would love to, but do not have the discs. I dislike that the older games really struggle to or don't even work anymore.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,565 Member
    edited November 2020
    Off-topic, but people complain about Sims 4 lacking challenge and depth of Sims 2 and yet STILL continue to play Sims 4. Why not just play Sims 2? NO - worse graphics is NOT an excuse. We are talking about GAMEEPLAY.

Part of the reason I don't go back and keep playing Sims4, is the mods I use. Plus, I don't have to play with aging off to be able to keep my Sims at certain ages to maximize the fun of said age. Can't have a singer Sim in Sims2. My favorite Sim (Rock Star) became a Mayor in Sims2. And while I loved that game, it's very hard to get the desired gender of a child. I could go on, but the phone rang and it's very hard to divide my attention.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    smokn18smokn18 Posts: 2 New Member
    Grant has already said he doesn't play the game. I'm done with him. He's so out of touch!
  • Options
    Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    Sometimes I like randomness and sometimes I want complete control of what happens to my sims. It would be ideal in a possible future version of the game if we could select the level of difficulty we want for each save.

Well, I guess some of the choices for randomness are still there. Like, for burglars, you can install stuff that prevent it such as burglar alarms. And in the Sims 4, if you don't want firefighters coming to save you from a fire, you can opt not to have any alarms. They could do two different varieties of Cowplants, one is more deadly than the other. A difficulty toggle could be nice too, like having more detrimental chance cards or not.

A1hnP0t.png
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    i had randomness yesterday. i went in my legacy save and my sim was complely naked.
  • Options
    morganlefayemorganlefaye Posts: 178 Member
    > @Simmingal said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > wait what is wrong with the noses?
    > o_O is there nose type that can't be created with the dragging things in cas?

I would like a variety of different noses. I'm literally bored of using the same type of nose for certain sims and sometimes I will go into full detail on a sim and use a different type of nose. I wish we had noses with names. Like a button nose, uptorn nose, or something with a name. I couldn't remember any names of noses, so I was just going off the tip of my head. I wish the sims were able to have birth marks, random freckles on the body, or something to give individuality.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Technically speaking I don't miss TS2 because I have UC on my win10 machine and my disks version chugging merrily along on my ancient (built ~1998, before a lot of you were even born) XP machine. But I do see the point. There is no comparison between the two in depth and nature of gameplay and the level of detail. Yes, TS4 is pretty, and does have some good features (after all these years it should), but those alone do not a great game make. A game should have gaming, and this one lacks.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited November 2020
    @Oldeseadogge, I remember those times. Had my first computer in 1982, an Apple IIe clone (an year before high-school for me)...where we played such old goodies as PacMan and Zaxxon. And they kept us enthralled for hours. And the games got better and better...as people pushed boundaries. And then we got better games that had depth of gameplay... But now it's "let's play it safe...don't want to rouse the ire of "helicopter parents" who haven't realized that the age-ratings for these games actually mean something."

The sims games were never meant for toddlers and young children to play. They were meant for teenagers and adults...yet we keep catering to the lower end of the age scale which these games were not meant for and, I'll say it frankly, dumbing down the game and making the depth of gameplay shallower and shallower till all we're left with is fluff and set dressing with no sense of freestyle gameplay but a laundry list of items to tick off and be led around by the nose.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I don't miss TS2 because I still play it, often. It's why I know exactly what TS4 isn't.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    peterskywalkerpeterskywalker Posts: 553 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I don't miss TS2 because I still play it, often. It's why I know exactly what TS4 isn't.

This is literally me as well. I still play the sims 4 occasionally and am updating lots for snowy escape, but I play the sims 2 when I’m looking for more intimacy, romance, passion and randomness. The difference between the sims 2 and 4 is night and day, but the sims 4 still has somewhat nice features and mods that keep me playing,
    True Love
    Terrific Family Play
    Too fun
    The sims 2 forever
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    i sure do not miss those features as i find the sims4 better than the sims2
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    @Oldeseadogge, I remember those times. Had my first computer in 1982, an Apple IIe clone (an year before high-school for me)...where we played such old goodies as PacMan and Zaxxon. And they kept us enthralled for hours. And the games got better and better...as people pushed boundaries. And then we got better games that had depth of gameplay... But now it's "let's play it safe...don't want to rouse the ire of "helicopter parents" who haven't realized that the age-ratings for these games actually mean something."

The sims games were never meant for toddlers and young children to play. They were meant for teenagers and adults...yet we keep catering to the lower end of the age scale which these games were not meant for and, I'll say it frankly, dumbing down the game and making the depth of gameplay shallower and shallower till all we're left with is fluff and set dressing with no sense of freestyle gameplay but a laundry list of items to tick off and be led around by the nose.

With you all the way! Like Cinebar and no telling how many others I'm still playing regularly, work and school permitting. That classic wacky wonderfulness is a great way to de-stress after a long hard day. I save 4 for when am too fried to properly enjoy 2.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    I've never played 2 (was raising a family and trying to build up a photography business back then), @Oldeseadogge, but am planning to track down discs if I can manage it. Am not going to be one of the lucky ones who managed to get the free download of the whole thing, but I plan to dig around to see if I can find some kicking around that I might be able to use on these online for sale sites.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    I've found ebay to be a good source for both disks and guidebooks. I've been just me for nigh unto forever so had more time for sims, writing, school, and other things. The TS2 section of the forums has a lot of helpful info and folks if you have trouble running the game on your machine.
  • Options
    Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    edited November 2020
    I don't miss it since I still actively play the first 2 Sims. Personally though, I'd want the randomness but *barely* toned down version of 1's difficulty. Like wow in 1 you never knew if you'd call someone and have them say they'll be over or yell at you for interupting their TV.

I don't really want more ways to die again like Cowplants or such since I'm leaning on the more realistic side of the Sims. But I absolutely so want fires to be deadly again, just without the "scream at the fire in panic and not move" idea Sims had for the first 2 games. Especially if the kids and pets weren't immortal, that's a layer of challenge, don't want Timmy or Fido in the flames? Build. Up. That. Cooking. Skill. Young me was always motivated to avoid some of the more unexpected deaths by always rushing cooking 3.

You know what would so work being brought back in the "randomness" department? Sims 1 parties. The fun of not knowing if you have a male ""entertainer"" or a bad Elvis knockoff pop out of your cake. Or if your parties going to go so bad a Mime that'll steal your flatscreen will pop by... Or party crashers... Maybe even Drew Carey pops by for a good party! TS1 parties were the definition of random.

Really, putting the Dollhouse back in Dollhouse is what's needed and the first 2 Sims games have it all there for some nice inspiration.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • Options
    Another 🐸🐸🐸🐸 on stove fire prevention is learning fire safety. I forget which pack introduced it, but it's one of the extra skill books the game provided, along with parenting, couple's counseling and 1 or 2 more.
  • Options
    Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    Another ❤️❤️❤️❤️ on stove fire prevention is learning fire safety. I forget which pack introduced it, but it's one of the extra skill books the game provided, along with parenting, couple's counseling and 1 or 2 more.

I think it's bugged without patchers however, or at least redundant for apartments. I remember apartments would force every Sim to exit to the front, and possibly without patches in normal homes make its effects useless. I might be wrong.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • Options
    SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    > @telmarina said:
    > The thing i miss more from the ones op mentions are the aspiration levels. I think sims should get a depressed moodlet if they're completelly ignoring their aspiration and an overjoyed one when they complete an aspiration. At least that...

Because that would be a problem for people like me who like to do their own thing and not bother with the aspiration. I didn't like the aspiration meter in Sims 2 or the fears system. The game kept punishing me for ignoring it by making my Sims aspiration bars in the red. I like to do my own thing, like making one Sim a professional ice skater, another likes swimming in the ocean, another be a great with a musical instrument, but not necessarily being in a career. I stopped bothering with the aspirations and am having more fun and a feature like this will take that fun away for me.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    > @telmarina said:
    > The thing i miss more from the ones op mentions are the aspiration levels. I think sims should get a depressed moodlet if they're completelly ignoring their aspiration and an overjoyed one when they complete an aspiration. At least that...

Because that would be a problem for people like me who like to do their own thing and not bother with the aspiration. I didn't like the aspiration meter in Sims 2 or the fears system. The game kept punishing me for ignoring it by making my Sims aspiration bars in the red. I like to do my own thing, like making one Sim a professional ice skater, another likes swimming in the ocean, another be a great with a musical instrument, but not necessarily being in a career. I stopped bothering with the aspirations and am having more fun and a feature like this will take that fun away for me.

Fair enough.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited December 2020
    My memories of Sims 2 are fading but is it that one when my Sims went to dine out and a wicked witch arrived on her broomstick with her cat just as they were going in? That was random. Better than Judith.

I'm still not going back to it though. I like the reliability of Sims 4.
  • Options
    > @telmarina said:

Provided it's still out there you could get Simpe. One of its many cool features is that you can adjust the lifetime want/aspiration to something other than an career. You can also use the 'aspirationLevel []' cheat to keep that bar where you like it. [] being a digit from 1 to 5. Used that one a time or two... Have seldom bothered with careers unless I want a 'bacon bringer' to provide income while the other sim focuses on other things.
  • Options
    peterskywalkerpeterskywalker Posts: 553 Member

> @telmarina said:

I understand completely. However one win for aspiration system is it can guide the player to do certain actions or wait doing certain things until they have a want. A great example is having two romancing sims not think about getting married until it pops up as a want. Then you can save the want and get married whenever because your sim “desires” it.

This helps slow down or speed up certain events you had planned for your sim and adds some fun variability to your play sessions.

True Love
    Terrific Family Play
    Too fun
    The sims 2 forever
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member

Because Sims 2 may just not run on their computer for whatever reason.

Especially for those who did not get the Ultimate Collection. Because then, on top of the usual get the game to recognize your graphics card and all that, they have to contend with installing and patching the game.

And for some people, graphics do play a big part in their desire to play a game. You may be able to separate the two and I am as well, but not everyone can and dismissing that claim for those who can't is not something you can say.
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    Me! I miss everything about that game, they never were able to top that game as far as I'm concerned.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8