Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We need 'Modern Movement Architecture' in The Sims

'Modern architecture, or modernist architecture, was an architectural style based upon new and innovative technologies of construction, particularly the use of glass, steel, and reinforced concrete; the idea that form should follow function (functionalism); an embrace of minimalism; and a rejection of ornament. It emerged in the first half of the 20th century and became dominant after World War II until the 1980s, when it was gradually replaced as the principal style for institutional and corporate buildings by postmodern architecture.'

De La Warr Pavilion, Bexhill On Sea, East Sussex, UK
EjzKBYFXkAAQyNk?format=jpg&name=small

'Modern architecture emerged at the end of the 19th century from revolutions in technology, engineering and building materials, and from a desire to break away from historical architectural styles and to invent something that was purely functional and new.

The revolution in materials came first, with the use of cast iron, plate glass, and reinforced concrete, to build structures that were stronger, lighter and taller. The cast plate glass process was invented in 1848, allowing the manufacture of very large windows. The Crystal Palace by Joseph Paxton at the Great Exhibition of 1851 was an early example of iron and plate glass construction, followed in 1864 by the first glass and metal curtain wall. These developments together led to the first steel-framed skyscraper, the ten-story Home Insurance Building in Chicago, built in 1884 by William Le Baron Jenney. The iron frame construction of the Eiffel Tower, then the tallest structure in the world, captured the imagination of millions of visitors to the 1889 Paris Universal Exposition.'

The American Radiator Building in New York City by Raymond Hood (1924)
800px-American_Radiator_Building.jpg

'French industrialist François Coignet was the first to use iron-reinforced concrete, that is, concrete strengthened with iron bars, as a technique for constructing buildings. In 1853 Coignet built the first iron reinforced concrete structure, a four-story house in the suburbs of Paris. A further important step forward was the invention of the safety elevator by Elisha Otis, first demonstrated at the New York Crystal Palace exposition in 1854, which made tall office and apartment buildings practical. Another important technology for the new architecture was electric light, which greatly reduced the inherent danger of fires caused by gas in the 19th century.

The debut of new materials and techniques inspired architects to break away from the neoclassical and eclectic models that dominated European and American architecture in the late 19th century, most notably eclecticism, Victorian and Edwardian architecture, and the Beaux-Arts architectural style. This break with the past was particularly urged by the architectural theorist and historian Eugène Viollet-le-Duc. In his 1872 book Entretiens sur L'Architecture, he urged: "use the means and knowledge given to us by our times, without the intervening traditions which are no longer viable today, and in that way we can inaugurate a new architecture. For each function its material; for each material its form and its ornament." This book influenced a generation of architects, including Louis Sullivan, Victor Horta, Hector Guimard, and Antoni Gaudí.'

The Bauhaus Dessau building, designed by Walter Gropius (1926)
Bauhaus.JPG

The Sims should embrace all styles of all ages but this era was something that has never had too much thought in The Sims aside from the TS3 Roaring Heights world.

I think we should have a whole pack at least dedicated to the style and the devs should really became to visit this style.

os36x09.jpg

One factor is the movement was global so it was no true to one country anymore than another and so it could be something that fits all Simmers. This could look good for those who want urban worlds and think of large open spaces which of course is useful in The Sims.

Living room of the House of Glass, showing what future homes would look like
1280px-House_of_Glass_Worlds_Fair_1939_LOC_gsc.5a03199.jpg

My studies on the modern movement are growing deeper and I am starting to understand the movement and what it gave to the world and what it could give to The Sims. I request that EA do some research on the style and come to understand it. I urge them to see what the principles where when designing these buildings, some of which are heading towards being a century old. They might not be modern now but what can we learn from them?

6uxz0ey.jpg

I want The Sims 5 to give new meanings to architecture. I want it to be not just about building houses but understanding houses. I want there to be more than community lots and lots that serve a purpose for the whole community. I want the world to be lively and active and building should be built by players to allow this to happen!

Lever House by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (1951–52)
800px-Lever_House_by_David_Shankbone.jpg

Lets discuss this subject and provide some dialogue to work from. If these principles are followed then The Sims really will be the best Sims game ever made! :smiley:
Simbourne
screenshot_original.jpg

Comments

• Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    I would love some modern, less chunky, clunky, thinner framed normal looking windows and doors. TS3 had some amazing doors and windows that you wouldn't need any CC because you could just color them to match what you wanted and the styles would fit a lot of modern builds.
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    irl, I'm not a fan of Brutalist structures (not sure if they count as "modern movement" architecture) but in the Sims, their depressing and pile of concrete style jives with me pretty well lol.

1280px-Villa_G%C3%B6th.jpg
    A1hnP0t.png
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Chicklet453681 Crittall windows ok?

e935a7b50da8cbea5be53bd161a844d6.jpg

35545e8d-6397-44a9-a752-ef945413e138
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Yeah if they were actually that thin, but TS4 doesn't make anything that is sleek and modern, instead they stick out 10 inches from the wall and have a 10 inch frame around the window both inside and outside. I don't know where these game designers live, but in my town our windows don't look like that.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited November 2020
    Yeah if they were actually that thin, but TS4 doesn't make anything that is sleek and modern, instead they stick out 10 inches from the wall and have a 10 inch frame around the window both inside and outside. I don't know where these game designers live, but in my town our windows don't look like that.

I don't think they look like that anywhere...I'd also like to know who wears a turtleneck under a cropped hoodie under a jacket that goes to the waist. Or a jean skirt above jeans. Not to mention the color combos they come up with for both clothes and furniture. I think in part it's done because of TS4's "artsyle" but they over do it sometimes, leaving me thinking that they are trying to appeal to little kids with oversized chunky stuff. The scale of certain objects is awful too, some end table lamps for instance are the size of a sim.

I wish they had a more realistic approach when it comes to build objects and clothing but alas. Though it's been slightly better as of late. I can see that they have improved a bit in the newer packs.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Ray_Trace wrote: »
    irl, I'm not a fan of Brutalist structures (not sure if they count as "modern movement" architecture) but in the Sims, their depressing and pile of concrete style jives with me pretty well lol.

I'm a fan of Brutalism, as it frequently also contains humour.
    Please excuse the brutally large images.
    I wish we could imitate the angular concrete slabs the style frequently features.
    ESJO1P_UUAAcgQA.jpg
    663B677E-CD9E-4AF2-985D-3716527526F0_w1080_h608.jpg
    BrutalistArchitecture__HERO_shutterstock_757094938.jpg
    stunning-brutalist-architecture.jpg
    62hdMFVBk4eZcsPvRoxobA%2Fd7hftxdivxxvm.cloudfront-11.jpg
    535-b-Stamp-House-scaled.jpg
    5540e585dd0895c9598b4582?width=1136&format=jpeg
    57e553b2c2eed143989e73f0225b07d6.jpg
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif