Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My confusion about "Gameplay" and the supposed lack thereof in packs

12346...Next

Comments

• GreatestPlannerGreatestPlanner Posts: 78 Member
    > @Leaselmary said:
    > (Quote)
    > @GreatestPlanner I did. I still play it btw. Love both Sims 2&4, they are very different, but both are good games.
    >
    > I like Sims 3 too, it's just... I just wish Sims 3 did many things differently. I don't despise it. But I do like other sims games more.

Was more directed to OP to understand what game play the community talks about, but glad you enjoy your games ;)

What many aren't realizing is that it's not just about The Sims 4 missing certain features, its many factors combined that created The Sims 2 that truly felt like a free sandbox life simulation game with lots or possibilities and arms that would impact the overall game. It was a great game for it's time as well, an upgrade. There are too many topics on the forum that go over this, it's not a one answer thing.
    It's a feeling, a memory, a sentiment that many of us share. It's not always easy to explain, rather than to feel it. Things were also just more right back then and this impacts the game of course as well.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited November 2020
    To the OP: you don't get it because there is no single answer to this problem.

See with linear games you get the story you get. You can dislike that story and not play it, or you can like the story and play it. And the gameplay is how that story executes through the actions you take. Hence why I love The Last of Us 2: I really enjoyed the story - others hated it - and the gameplay was excellent - most people, even those that hate the story, agree.

But with The Sims, there is no story. There are only gameplay elements that players need to combine into whatever story they want. Depending on the stories you want to tell, some gameplay items and systems will work better for you than others. If you mostly want to play families, you'll crave multiple life stages, a certain level of control over each family member, memories, toys for kids, family activities, etc. If you mostly enjoy playing with occults, you'll need .. well .. occults. And preferably also gritty environments and furniture, negative consequences, etc. If you're more of an adventure-loving person (the area I still believe TS4 is most lacking in) you'll want a lot of active activities and maybe temples with a good level of difficulty, many different cultures with culture-specific activities that can be unlocked by engaging with these cultures (think of TS3 martial arts, nectar making, even photography). Again others just want to build.

Some people will vastly prefer open worlds because open worlds allow for more randomness by default - if other sims still move around, go to their jobs, go to bars and stores, etc., there will be more interaction, creating more random encounters, as well as world continuity (but less easy rotational play). Others will prefer closed or semi-closed worlds. Some people will love story progression, others will despise it (especially rotational players). Some people want fears and wants, whereas I'm sure some found this restrictive about TS2 as well (because some people want sandbox sims that they can mold). I loved it. Some people hate TS4 emotions. I think they're okay, they just stack too much, and there needs to be a balancing system in the background that restricts sims' moods, and prioritizes certain ones over others.

But it all comes down to this: there are so many elements in these games that can make or break the game for you that the single question "what gameplay do you want/need to actually like this game" is entirely unanswerable. It's also why, if you dislike the core of TS4, you'll probably never end up liking it no matter what they add. Because it will miss certain key gameplay features that you need - while these might either not be important or even actively disliked by others.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited November 2020
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Which of course makes "solving" this "issue" impossible for Maxis. "We want more gameplay" - adds more gameplay - "No that's not what *I* mean with gameplay, you ....ck!"

Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited November 2020
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Which of course makes "solving" this "issue" impossible for Maxis. "We want more gameplay" - adds more gameplay - "No that's not what *I* mean with gameplay, you ....ck!"

It depends on how they should solve it. For people that can accept TS4 for what it is, they can definitely improve the gameplay, and continue tweaking it to deliver the richest experience possible.

But for people that don't? People that may really need open worlds, hate the emotion system, want more scripted gameplay events and worlds that in terms of building function more like TS3 and are less "pre-designed"? No I don't think they can. I think that those people, as unfortunate as that is, will have to wait and hope for TS5 to be more in line with what they want. Cause 7 years in, whatever gameplay they add on top of the TS4 base game, won't satisfy these players. At least, I think that's highly unlikely.

Their feedback still matters, because eventually, you can hope for some of that to be picked up and put into TS5. And the feedback of those that like TS4 matters, because that is the only way they can hope to see their request in this iteration. But ultimately, you like the overall gameplay or you don't. Everything they add now is incremental, not fundamentally different.
  • BreeSashaBreeSasha Posts: 638 Member
    Yeah I Don't think there is a way to please everyone. Some people play specific packs more than others because it aligns with the way they play the game. If you're a builder versus a storyteller versus CAS. Not every pack hits all areas the same. Some people care a lot about their elderly sims and are upset there isn't a lot of gameplay for them but not everyone loves elders. So I Guess it's about picking and choosing the packs that satisfy your needs and ignoring the rest.
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    edited February 2021
    I think that just small additions to a pack could give it more gameplay and replayability.

For example with Snowy Escape:
    *They add the Freelance career Outdoor sport intructor: complete gigs with skiing, snowboarding & climbing (both active & rabbit holes)
    E.g. Teach snowboarding / Judge a ski competition / Join a paid Climbing excursion.
    = More Challenge + Replay ability for Skiing / Snowboarding / Climbing skill, A reason to level up and continue to perform these skills (even after maximized it)

*They add Competitions for Skiing / Snowboarding
    = More Challenge + Replay ability for Skiing / Snowboarding skill, A reason to level up and continue to perform these skills (even after maximized it)
    Levels: Novice / Medium / Professional
    Reward: Gold tropheé (designed for the skill) + Fame + Cash price

Boost your chances in winning:
    1. High level in skill (e.g. Snowboard skill + Fitness skill)
    2. Having a suitable mood (e.g. Energized)
    3. Bribe the judge (lower impact if competing on a Professional level)
    4. Sabotaging for other contestants (higher risk of getting caught and disqualified if having a low Mischief skill)
    5. Cheat (higher risk of getting caught and disqualified if having a low Mischief skill)
    6. You have performed/practiced the skill recently (it makes no sense that you would win competitions if your sim these days are a coach potato that once upon a time maximized the Fitness skill)

*They make the Scenery clickable = will make these closed (sims 4 style) worlds become more alive and not just like a beautiful but empty shell.
    1. Clickable: the final destination spot for hiking trails (e.g. The temple =rabbit hole)
    2. Clickable: The shops in the Wakaba area: Buy sport gear/fast food/etc +Possibility to become a business partner (own 10-100% of a shop and gain profit from it similar to sim 3).
    3. Clickable scenery trees: A. Collect wood (you can chop it and use as fire wood. Staring a campfire will cost simoleans / chopped wood). B. Collect bark (Use to light a fire/campfire OR carve bark boats -put into the river and sail bark boat, compete with other sims) C. Collect stick (use on a snow pal = arms, poke another sim’s bark boat = it will sunk, use as fire wood, use to grill marshmallows / hot dogs over a camp fire, ur just be mischievous and poke random sim's with your stick hehe :D ).

These are some critique that I seen on Snowy Escape since the realease (and even before that), so one thing that can give a pack more replayability / gameplay is to listen to the fanbase and maybe try to involve the fanbase a little earlier in the process (when they still can add in these smaller things). And if that isn´t possible (if they need to sell a pack when there is still a "hype"), why not try to add in this things later on? I understand that the team can't come up with every possible idea on a snowy destination, but hey your fanbase are here with a lot of awesome ideas, I've seen it on the forum!
    Post edited by carpe_diem on
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    I am going to chime in here, even though I have not read the entire thread. For me, I make up a storyline for my Sim family then I play trying to achieve the 'goal' of their lives. To 'act' out their story, as it were. Oftentimes, I will focus on one Sim, as the main character, if you will and will make certain his aspiration is achieved. That's not to imply I neglect the other Sims in his household, but rather that by ensuring my main character gets what he wants, and the others aren't falling apart, I find myself not even noticing the 'get up, toilet, shower, eat, go to work (or school)', redundancy of the game itself. It's a life Simulation. Take a look at what you do everyday, it's pretty much the same thing, right? With, I'll wager, few exceptions. LOL Humans are creatures of habit. I have my Sims interact (and sometimes they interact without my setting it up, too) so a sense of family is achieved. I love autonomy. I have played this way since Sims2. In fact, I got better at having my Sims interact within the families since we got bands in Sims3. I also had a mod Relativity, to slow down the speed of a Sims day, too. Which gave my Sims enough time in the evenings to jam together, plus get homework, daily work tasks, et al, done and get to bed at a reasonable time. Back then I didn't really cheat up their needs too much, as I do now.

The game is a blank canvas, or stage, if you will. You fill the stage with actors and tell whatever story you desire. How deeply you get into it, the more immersive it will be, and the more fulfilling. This is not to suggest that improvements can't be made overall. Personally, I use mods to help with that. Without Road to Fame I'd have no singer Sim. Once we got Showtime in Sims3, I had the most fun ever. The fact we got GF and a much better Celebrity System, helped, but broke my heart, too. Singers were left out. To a large degree, they're still left out. The only way my singer could get an Accolade for his MUSIC, was to place him in the Entertainment Career and then it was only a pop-up saying he'd won. Ho-hum. What saved me was in a previous game I had placed him in the acting career and he won. I snapped many pictures of the moment. So glad I did so. When it came down to sharing what happened in my game, I could use those old photos to show him accepting his award.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    When I personally say gameplay my meaning would be this:

Ways to play each sim life stage as rich in content as possible. At the moment there is barely anything to do for any life stages other than Young Adults and Elders. And even playing with YA and Adults what is there for them to do? Vote for a NAP, clean the island, disappear off screen to do odd jobs, knit, vaccum, do laundry, go to kareoke, go to a bar, bowling or a restaurant. There's really no depth or much to do at all. All of the things I listed can be done in a sim day or 2. What do you do then?
  • jaymancrazjaymancraz Posts: 92 Member
    I am once again seeing review where the claims "not enough gameplay" or "no gameplay" or "no replayability" is thrown around.
    I... don't get it. I 500% don't get what these people actually MEAN by "gameplay". They are not happy when something is scripted, like Strangerville; they are not happy when something is open like Island Living.

Again, what do these people MEAN with gameplay?
    Not to mention Replayability. Strangerville I get. Batuu I get. But anything else? If you don't think there is "replayability" in the new pack, or in say Island Living, then why do you play Sims at all? I mean if there is no replayability in Island Living how much replayability is it in going to the bathroom or doing laundry?

If you’ve played sims 3, you’d understand.
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited March 2021
    Welp the gameplay of The Sims is... like a point&click. Hover on something, click on it, and something happens. Monkey Island players would feel right at home.

Replaybility or not is like... I don't know, really...
    I suppose it means not using the main features of an E.P.
    jaymancraz wrote: »

What is that difference? Cause I don't get it either.

I mean that's the same gameplay with a different U.I., and a game whose expansions features (main or not) I use to varying degrees in my saves. So the exact same thing since TS1.
    jaymancraz wrote: »
    I am once again seeing review where the claims "not enough gameplay" or "no gameplay" or "no replayability" is thrown around.
    I... don't get it. I 500% don't get what these people actually MEAN by "gameplay". They are not happy when something is scripted, like Strangerville; they are not happy when something is open like Island Living.

Again, what do these people MEAN with gameplay?
    Not to mention Replayability. Strangerville I get. Batuu I get. But anything else? If you don't think there is "replayability" in the new pack, or in say Island Living, then why do you play Sims at all? I mean if there is no replayability in Island Living how much replayability is it in going to the bathroom or doing laundry?

Yeah... no.
    I love assumptions like this. It's just... arrogant.
    I have played Sims 1, Sims 2, Sims 3 and Sims 4 on release day. But sure, "true fans would never like Sims 4" is such a common fallacy here in these forums...
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    There is a difference in gameplay in Sims 3 to Sims 4 though.

Sims 4 is more a blank canvas for you to imagine things happening or set the stage for and force to happen.

Sims 2 and maybe Sims 3 was more about you creating the character you want, the way you want them and then based on your choices the game makes things happen for you.

This is the biggest difference that I have noticed.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    edited March 2021

Sims 4 is more a blank canvas for you to imagine things happening or set the stage for and force to happen.

Sims 2 and maybe Sims 3 was more about you creating the character you want, the way you want them and then based on your choices the game makes things happen for you.

The things you mention fall under the 'game design' category, where, indeed they took different directions since the creation of TS1. The gameplay, however always remained the exact same. Click/chose interaction in pie menu/click again to confirm.

Unless I'm mistaken on the definition of gameplay, take Mario Bros for example. Input A, and you jump, hold B+ a direction and you run. Jump when you run and you cover more distance. Essentially those are the tools you're given to interact with the game.
    Now, how do you interact with the sims? You click ^^
    Dijktafone wrote: »

The things you mention fall under the 'game design' category, where, indeed they took different directions since the creation of TS1. The gameplay, however always remained the exact same. Click/chose interaction in pie menu/click again to confirm.

@Dijktafone Well yes, you are absolutely right. I'm using the word in a probably incorrect way because this is how people usually use it when it comes to the Sims and I think this is what the OP is talking about. But you know how Simmers are, everything that has to do with the game, we call gameplay.
    As an 'insider', I know what sims players mean by 'gameplay'. But imagine the confusion for E.A. when they recieve such feedback as 'we want more gameplay'. I know for a fact, for having exchanged with the guru who wrote the mini-stories/challenges for TS2 that one need to be precise with their verbiage when it comes to feedback.
    As an 'insider', I know what sims players mean by 'gameplay'. But imagine the confusion for E.A. when they recieve such feedback as 'we want more gameplay'. I know for a fact, for having exchanged with the guru who wrote the mini-stories/challenges for TS2 that one need to be precise with their verbiage when it comes to feedback.

@Dijktafone This is why when I get to interact with the Gurus I always advise them to read the feedback section they set up for us. The things people write there are very in-depth and easy to understand. I wish they'd show they actually read that section.
    edited March 2021

Also, you stated above the same thing I have stated before, the "gameplay" isn't that much different. It is still about torturing / nurturing virtual goldfish, basically. Performing the same actions over and over. The flavor text might be different and that is really all there is.
    It is still "Click Sim, Click Toilet, Click Shower, Click Fridge, Click 'Grab Serving', Watch Sim Go To Work, Click 'Travel'. Click 'Work Out', Click 'Travel', Click Fridge, Click 'Toilet', Click Bed. Repeat. Congratulations, your virtual goldfish survived another day.

The only Sim game to shake this up was actually the first one, because that one was a hardcore survival emulator. Remember, in Sims 1 it was crucial to build your kitchens and bathrooms to minimize time usage, because otherwise your Sim literally wouldn't have time to both eat and go to the bathroom and would most likely pee himself before going to work, resulting in a miserable work performance and maybe getting fired. Heck, Toilet Usage ate a LOT of hygiene so if you were not always showering AFTER going to the toilet you basically had to shower twice. And so on.

Sims 1 had a whole second layer of strategic planning because of this. It was a much harder game (where it actually was quite possible without deliberately killing your Sims to get a game over because all your Sims had died).
  • smilepandasmilepanda Posts: 101 Member
    I think a lot of the packs, disregarding Strangerville and Batuu, definitely have a lot of replay ability. When I get a new pack, I tend only to look at the CAS and build and with the gameplay I only play with features as I see fit so I am always discovering new parts of the packs I didn't know existed and always living in the same worlds etc.

The majority of the packs, for me, are replayable.
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    edited March 2021
    I guess it is just a playstyle type of thing, nothing more to it. For example, i know island living is one of your favorite packs, but i rank it last since it feels very lacking to me compared to some of the other packs i prefer, like eco lifestyle and get to work. I kinda feel like you are using two extremes here as examples with island living and strangeville. I already said island living does not appeal to me, but same goes for strangevill too. I dont mind scrpited gameplay but i still dont like how it was done in strangeville, even though i like active careers which are a little scripted as well? um, you know what, maybe i dont entirely understand what scrpited means here :# I saw a person or two use the word to describe why they dont like active careers but it could be wrong usage. Maybe there are things that could be classified as somewhat scrpited, which is the level that i dont mind in my sims games, and then other things that are even more scripted, which is the level that does not appeal to me? XD Anyway, I hope what i meant came across and made sense at least.
  • SjofnSjofn Posts: 332 Member
    The only Sim game to shake this up was actually the first one, because that one was a hardcore survival emulator. Remember, in Sims 1 it was crucial to build your kitchens and bathrooms to minimize time usage, because otherwise your Sim literally wouldn't have time to both eat and go to the bathroom and would most likely pee himself before going to work, resulting in a miserable work performance and maybe getting fired. Heck, Toilet Usage ate a LOT of hygiene so if you were not always showering AFTER going to the toilet you basically had to shower twice. And so on.

I still always have them pee before showering because of that initial TS1 experience. Even if they don't really need to go.
    Sjofn wrote: »

I still always have them pee before showering because of that initial TS1 experience. Even if they don't really need to go.

Yep. Not to mention it took me years of Sims 4 before I stopped building all kitchens with the "Door - Fridge - Surface - Stove - Table layout to maximize efficiency speed when making breakfast.
  • MeteorizerMeteorizer Posts: 30 Member
    It's not that there isn't any gameplay, I just would like more gameplay in packs, I still enjoy the packs regardless, and always have fun with them. I just want more gameplay, Like Get Famous, I would have LOVED to be a famous singer with a career like actor. I still love the pack though and is in my top 5 xpacs.