Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How they should handle clothing in sims 5.

It always bothered me that sims don't buy clothes and even back in sims 2 when they did, everything costs the same.
Also bothers me that all sims just have this endless wardrobe, they all own everything.
And I think it could be very rewarding and show progress if your sim might start out in cheap clothes but can later afford fancy clothes and jewellery.
Also, would be nice if sims would respond to clothing a bit. Something that happens in the Fable games.

So I suggest that each clothing item gets assigned the following things:

-Value.
Rags, cheap, average, nice quality, high quality, extravagant.
Aside from the cost, it would also determine how other sims view the person wearing it. The average sim would judge people wearing rags, it would require a good or other relevant trait to not judge sims for wearing rags. Snobs would not want anything to do with anyone in rags, and would get negative moodlets if wearing anything under nice quality but positive for wearing high quality or extravagant.
On the other hand some traits like frugal would cause sims to think less of anyone who wears extravagant items since it's a waste of money to them.
Also for jewellery it could determine if thieves might want to steal it since now value is assigned.

-Modesty. (only applies to main clothes, not jewellery, shoes or such.)
Naked, skimpy, revealing, modest, prudish.
Sims already respond to streaking so nothing changes there, but now they'll also respond to other levels of modesty. Standard sims don't respond to any modesty rating aside naked, but traits can influence what they themselves prefer to wear or want to see others wearing.
Someone with the prude trait could at most want to wear modest clothing and could react shocked to sims in skimpy clothing and mildly disproving of revealing clothing. On the other hand there could be a trait that causes sims to prefer skimpy or revealing clothes and despise wearing anything prudish.
Both modesty and value rating could also affect job applications. Applying to an office job in skimpy rags would not go well.

-Style.
This would be the style of clothing, and any item can fall under multiple categories. Formal, gothic, sporty, summer, winter, casual, etc.
Traits can cause sims to favour specific styles. And anything labeled summer or winter could be used by any seasons expansion to determine if it makes a sim feel warm or cold depending on weather.

Finally, an outfit would be the sum of it's parts so with some mixing and matching you might get them to overlook your ragged shirt at a job interview because you wear a high quality jacket over it. But of course sims with specific traits would always know and will judge you for wearing a cheap fake ring even if everything else you wear is of extravagant value.
And wearing a low cut top might just cause an outfit to be seen as revealing, while combining it with a very short skirt would make it skimpy.

Also sims would have to purchase everything. In CAS each sim gets a clothing budget. It should either be possible to use a money cheat in CAS or set a wealth level for your starting sims. But they get to gather a wardrobe here and it costs the same as in clothing stores.
And only what sims have purchased will show up when planning an outfit. Only of that particular sim. But you can easily transfer any item to another sim in your household. Only one exists of what you purchased though, unless you bought the same thing multiple times. So all your sims can't all wear the same shoes that have only been purchased once.

This would certainly serve to give sims actually more to spend their money on.

Also , I'd like to talk about how outfits are split up.
I'd layer it more, and the layers would be as following:

-Feet.
Socks, shoes.

-lower body.
Underpants, pants, belt.

-Upper body.
undershirt/bra/corset, shirt/blouse, vest, coat.

And other than that there's still accessories like jewellery, glasses, hats, gloves, etc. And of course there are still items that take up both upper and lower body but you can still put a jacket over that or a vest.
Visible underwear could affect the modesty rating of an outfit.

Laundry is also a thing of course, anything in the laundry could not be worn by a sim. Which might cause sims to wear the same clothes longer and make them smelly. If of course they have washing machines. I do think laundry should stay optional gameplay.

Comments

• SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,971 Member
    edited November 2020
    rhalius wrote: »
    It always bothered me that sims don't buy clothes and even back in sims 2 when they did, everything costs the same.
    Also bothers me that all sims just have this endless wardrobe, they all own everything.
    And I think it could be very rewarding and show progress if your sim might start out in cheap clothes but can later afford fancy clothes and jewellery.
    Also, would be nice if sims would respond to clothing a bit. Something that happens in the Fable games.

So I suggest that each clothing item gets assigned the following things:

-Value.
    Aside from the cost, it would also determine how other sims view the person wearing it. The average sim would judge people wearing rags, it would require a good or other relevant trait to not judge sims for wearing rags. Snobs would not want anything to do with anyone in rags, and would get negative moodlets if wearing anything under nice quality but positive for wearing high quality or extravagant.
    On the other hand some traits like frugal would cause sims to think less of anyone who wears extravagant items since it's a waste of money to them.
    Also for jewellery it could determine if thieves might want to steal it since now value is assigned.

-Modesty. (only applies to main clothes, not jewellery, shoes or such.)
    Naked, skimpy, revealing, modest, prudish.
    Sims already respond to streaking so nothing changes there, but now they'll also respond to other levels of modesty. Standard sims don't respond to any modesty rating aside naked, but traits can influence what they themselves prefer to wear or want to see others wearing.
    Someone with the prude trait could at most want to wear modest clothing and could react shocked to sims in skimpy clothing and mildly disproving of revealing clothing. On the other hand there could be a trait that causes sims to prefer skimpy or revealing clothes and despise wearing anything prudish.
    Both modesty and value rating could also affect job applications. Applying to an office job in skimpy rags would not go well.

-Style.
    This would be the style of clothing, and any item can fall under multiple categories. Formal, gothic, sporty, summer, winter, casual, etc.
    Traits can cause sims to favour specific styles. And anything labeled summer or winter could be used by any seasons expansion to determine if it makes a sim feel warm or cold depending on weather.

Finally, an outfit would be the sum of it's parts so with some mixing and matching you might get them to overlook your ragged shirt at a job interview because you wear a high quality jacket over it. But of course sims with specific traits would always know and will judge you for wearing a cheap fake ring even if everything else you wear is of extravagant value.
    And wearing a low cut top might just cause an outfit to be seen as revealing, while combining it with a very short skirt would make it skimpy.

Also sims would have to purchase everything. In CAS each sim gets a clothing budget. It should either be possible to use a money cheat in CAS or set a wealth level for your starting sims. But they get to gather a wardrobe here and it costs the same as in clothing stores.
    And only what sims have purchased will show up when planning an outfit. Only of that particular sim. But you can easily transfer any item to another sim in your household. Only one exists of what you purchased though, unless you bought the same thing multiple times. So all your sims can't all wear the same shoes that have only been purchased once.

This would certainly serve to give sims actually more to spend their money on.

Also , I'd like to talk about how outfits are split up.
    I'd layer it more, and the layers would be as following:

-Feet.
    Socks, shoes.

-lower body.
    Underpants, pants, belt.

-Upper body.
    undershirt/bra/corset, shirt/blouse, vest, coat.

And other than that there's still accessories like jewellery, glasses, hats, gloves, etc. And of course there are still items that take up both upper and lower body but you can still put a jacket over that or a vest.
    Visible underwear could affect the modesty rating of an outfit.

Laundry is also a thing of course, anything in the laundry could not be worn by a sim. Which might cause sims to wear the same clothes longer and make them smelly. If of course they have washing machines. I do think laundry should stay optional gameplay.

I agree. Purchasing clothes in the sims made for much more fun, it made retail clothes buying fun!, I loved making little clothing boutiques, jewelry stores, etc.. I also want to see buying off of racks again instead off of mannequins. Mannequins could be used to put together outfits to look at, not buy. I want my sims to go to their dresser to put together the days outfit. The jewelry box to put on their jewelry, hat box for hats, a shoe box for shoes, or a closet for all of those things. I don’t like the preset outfits (it would be fine to have it as an option if you wanted it). Having to buy clothing gave me a reason to send my sims shopping. Of course you should also be able to purchase the clothes through the build mode if you want, or ordering online, for those that don’t care for sending their sim to the store to buy. It would be something If clothing wore out after many uses, or faded or something, though I’m sure that would make clothing much too complicated.... lol.

Rags to riches stories would have more meaning if you Had to buy clothing and accessories. Also, starting a sim off with practically nothing would be much more fun. Having a suit case or back pack would be great to work like closets and dressers too, but you could only have a limited amount of clothing in them ( smaller inventory than having a dresser or closet.)

Also.....no more free food from the fridge, you should have to buy all food. It also makes grocery shopping more fun. Children could make things like peanut butter sandwiches, or grab a glass of milk or cookies (having already been bought), if there was nothing cooked in the fridge, great idea for bringing back the children’s stove. Also food for the camping ice box should also have to be purchased. Make cupboards useful by being able to put some food items in them ( bread, crackers, peanut butter, jelly etc.)
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I love taking sims shopping for clothes in TS2....it sucks that we can't do that in TS4. Not even groceries...one of the reasons I prefer playing TS2.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited November 2020
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I love taking sims shopping for clothes in TS2....it sucks that we can't do that in TS4. Not even groceries...one of the reasons I prefer playing TS2.

Yep that is one of the major things that sets older sims games far above the current one. I liked how much you could do with sims 2 babies too.

When I was a kid Barbies and dolls would have been no fun if you couldn’t dress them. I laugh at the outfits I used to make for them.

And I remember buying my older daughter dolls that you could feed. When I was a child, dolls you could feed water bottles and peed were highly requested... lol.

I even remember paper dolls you could dress and color form doll sets. They were both fun to play with too.

Oh, and we both love the sims games...
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member

Technically, it's possible to take sims shopping for clothes and groceries but it's not the same as in TS2. I find the TS4 mannequins tiring and time consuming because they can only store a few outfits on them and then the outfits stored may not be suitable for the sim I am wanting to buy clothes for. Same thing with groceries, we can buy from the food stands, but they are scattered all around and you can only buy a few ingredients from each, and then it's so much easier to just buy from the fridge that you don't bother going shopping anymore.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited November 2020
    crocobaura wrote: »

Technically, it's possible to take sims shopping for clothes and groceries but it's not the same as in TS2. I find the TS4 mannequins tiring and time consuming because they can only store a few outfits on them and then the outfits stored may not be suitable for the sim I am wanting to buy clothes for. Same thing with groceries, we can buy from the food stands, but they are scattered all around and you can only buy a few ingredients from each, and then it's so much easier to just buy from the fridge that you don't bother going shopping anymore.

It's totally different.... In TS4 you don't have the need to....that alone undercuts the whole experience, it becomes a novelty, something you'd do because you're either bored or because you want something to spend money on/more challenge, in a non challenging game. On top of that it's too much work to make a functional retail store ran by NPC's. You need to go into play mode and put each individual ingredient in the racks or set up the mannequin's outfits yourself and set them for sale...and yeah, the mannequins don't let you purchase any clothing item, only what you've set up, which could be seen as a tad bit more realistic, but it's not player/rpg friendly, if that makes any sense. The mannequins also take a sim's slot in the lot, meaning the more you have, the less sims will spawn at your store.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

It's totally different.... In TS4 you don't have the need to....that alone undercuts the whole experience, it becomes a novelty, something you'd do because you're either bored or because you want something to spend money on/more challenge, in a non challenging game. On top of that it's too much work to make a functional retail store ran by NPC's. You need to go into play mode and put each individual ingredient in the racks or set up the mannequin's outfits yourself and set them for sale...and yeah, the mannequins don't let you purchase any clothing item, only what you've set up, which could be seen as a tad bit more realistic, but it's not player/rpg friendly, if that makes any sense. The mannequins also take a sim's slot in the lot, meaning the more you have, the less sims will spawn at your store.

Yes, stores are a pain in the behind, not everything can be sold and some of the things that can be sold can't be placed on the shelves or you can only place one so it looks like a flea shop. Still better than TS3 shops. I use the saved outfits as a sort of personalized wardrobe for my sims but I think it was easier to use in TS2 if you wanted to mix and match your sims' outfits with the clothes available in their wardrobe.
  • rhaliusrhalius Posts: 456 Member
    I'd love to see way more stores in sims 5 yes.

Clothing stores and supermarkets could already be in the base game.

And whatever expansion adds cars could add a garage where you can buy cars and a repair shop. Maybe a fancy one for new cars and another place for second hand cars. And cars could get problems, which require a mechanic. Your sim could do it themselves, or send the car to the mechanic.

Could be a toy store too that could sell some stuff not found in buy mode, mainly smaller things like doll houses, extra video games, stuffed animals, etc. And best of all: The toys found in the shop could be advertised on sims their television on the kids channel. And depending on traits, sim kids could take a liking to something of it and nag their parents about wanting it. Getting it could give a positive moodlet.
    Heck there could be toy collections, they could go more in depth with it.
    Like there could be a doll house with some accecoires but also a castle with accesoires, a pirate ship, etc. Completing a collection could be a child's desire, or adult's desire with the childish trait.
    Toy store could also sell a few board games for sims to play around a table. And hot headed sims should be able to do a table flip if they lose.

Could also be like a hardware store where sims can buy tools, seeds for plants, pots for outdoor plants and maybe here they could also buy some cheap furniture that they'd have to construct themselves. The tools sims can buy could be to allow them to fix more specific stuff, like buying a kit for car repairs. They should maintain the standard stuff for normal house repairs by default.

And an electronics store, where sims buy phones. Yes, buy phones. Those 🐸🐸🐸🐸 things should not be build in like a microchip, they should be an item sims can have or not. Not everyone in real life has a mobile phone or wants to have it with them all the time.
    Like clothes, it could be something you can give sims in CAS though, could fall under the same budget.
    But this would allow different phones:
    -Cheap cell phone. Sims can only text and call with it, no games, camera or other stuff. Great if you want your sim to not constantly be on their phone if you leave them alone a moment.
    -Standard cell phone. This one has all the standard functions that phones in sims 4 have.
    -Deluxe cell phone. Does everything the standard cell phone does but costs a ridiculous amount of money and sims with specific traits might want it.
    Aside from cell phones sims could also buy a camera here, video games, customised computers, alarm systems, etc.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I could definitely see building up a sims wardrobe being a lot of fun, I'd like to see some feature like this come in Sims 5, or maybe even in Sims 4???
    filipomel wrote: »
    I could definitely see building up a sims wardrobe being a lot of fun, I'd like to see some feature like this come in Sims 5, or maybe even in Sims 4???
    Yes it was much, much more fun!
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I just hope they lock all clothing besides the outfit you create the Sim with there needs to be a challenge and not have everything handed to you. It would actually give a reason to use retail why am I going to take my Sim shopping for clothes when everything is already unlocked in CAS also who ever thought of adding a mannequin instead of a clothing rack in Sims 4 stores truly does not get it then again the same can be said with every Sims 4 retail choice.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Oh goodness. That sounds so... Tedious to have to deal with. I like the way we have it now where I can jump into CAS whenever I need.
    edited November 2020
    It’s pretty much the same thing, you just have to buy it before you can use it. You can use rosebud to add money if want something you can’t afford, and you don’t have to go to a store to buy it. But right now everything is free, and you can’t even buy stuff off of a rack in a clothing store now...... it is too limiting buying off of mannequins. In fact, cas is too limiting allowing only five outfits and already put together ones at that. Better having your clothes, and picking it out. It was fun going into a jewelry store and buying jewelry and a clothes store to buy clothes through retail. But they could also give you a choice to turn pricing off if you don’t like playing that way. I can imagine making a shoe store and a hat store to buy things and then being able to mix and match outfits. It follows real life better if you need to pay for your clothes.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    There needs to be lots of toggleable options.

Clothing should be layerable, so that we don't get stuck with the horrible combos we have now.

I like the idea of clothing having value, and it should degrade over time, but both should be things that can be toggled off.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
    Value decrease might not be needed, they could just have that depend on what you use it for. If a sim is put on fire, whatever they are wearing could now be called rags and there could be a filter put over it with black spots, kind of like with a dirty sim.

But its something that could still be turned off for sure.
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    I would really love the next iteration to come with a decent clothing system.
    As you say, it could have trait impact (style, price).
    And it'd need at least a few 'tiers' of prices if not individual prices. Let's say there would be 5-6 tiers for each slot, from torn through 'normal' to ultra-expensive. If everything in a tier costed the same, I'd accept that.
    Then, the question is how would that affect making a new save... raise the typical starting funds, or have the 'base' set of clothes free to start with (let's say that you could, without impacting the starting funds, pick anything from the lowest two tiers).

And the main advantage is that it'd give a way to spend money once you play for a while - something the game lacks.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    100% agreed! It always bugged me that our sims could be completely broke and still wear high fashion clothes.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I don't mind the mannequins to display outfit ideas, but I hate to have to purchase off of the mannequin. I much preferred when we bought clothes from a clothing rack and there were specific racks depending on which gender and category. I also liked it when you changed your clothes from the dresser only the clothing you had "purchased" were available to actually plan or change your outfit.
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    -Value.

Would items come in more than one quality? I'd have having to avoid cute clothes because they give bad status effects.
    -Value.

Would items come in more than one quality? I'd have having to avoid cute clothes because they give bad status effects.

Some could, would actually add a fun layer if the game included cheap knock off brands. I guess by sims 5 they could visually show different qualities in materials so such an outfit could look identical save for a small brand logo and the material looking a bit worse. Or less form fitting.

If they ever add tailoring or something like that to the game later, it could actually add fun gameplay if sims could update quality of cheap outfits which could give them unique options to wear. Like they could restore some old hobo suit that previously was only available under rags.

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I want clothing to not one size fit all like we have now, there should be clothing exclusive only for thin Sims, average sized Sims and overweight, that way thin Sims can use clothing for overweight Sims and it will look loose on their body.

Sometime I just want to clothe a fit Sims with t-shirt but it always shows their body shape, won't be a problem if they use loose clothing l.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    edited November 2020
    I like it! I also would like more body types, I want fatter and skinnier Sims.
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    We should shop from stores and be able to layer clothing.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited November 2020
    We should shop from stores and be able to layer clothing.

I agree with this! when an action game can do it (red dead redemption 2) why life simulation game cannot?

also again from the same mentioned game, sims 5 should be able to have a feature that make sims hair grow the longer they go without cutting it or shaving it, the wild and longer they become.

Tbh when i was playing ts4 for the first time, it gave me the impression that we could actually able to layer the clothing because of the underwear category in the clothing section but turns out we cant.. i got bamboozled.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    CC creators have a work around for this...... they create "accessory clothing" like all different styles of shirts and jackets, it's a life saver. I've always felt like coats and jackets should not have a "top" under it, that it should go on top of shirts. I understand some shirts, especially female ones, have flared sleeves or bottoms and would clip thru, but tops like tank tops, t-shirts, etc could layer easily under a coat or jacket.
  • DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 470 Member
    I just miss shopping in stores like in sims 2 it’s weird that sims have all of the clothing... Like what if in sims 5 we get access to all of the clothes but if we want them in a different color we have to buy it.

Also I wish we could fully layer clothes (I wouldn’t always do it but for sexy sims I would put them in a pair of briefs and for the day time would wear shorts/pants that would show them off a bit)

I want to fully layer jewelry (I layer necklaces all the time)

I wish sims themselves cared about fashion like what if in game we could create simple custom tops for them.