Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I feel like The Sims 2 has really set the precedence for 3 and 4...

The Sims 2 has the University EP, which continues in 3 and 4.
The Sims 2 has the NightLife EP (dating, vampires, restaurants), which continues in 3 and 4, but for some reason The Sims 4 still has no cars, and The Sims 3 cars don't have that getting-in-the-car animation anymore.
The Sims 2 has the Open For Business EP, which allows Sims to start their own community lot and home businesses. In the Sims 3, I think you have to buy that special world in The Sims 3 store or the consignment shop at the Store just to have a business? In the Sims 4, retail businesses are back, but you can't do home businesses.
The Sims 2 has Seasons, which continues onto 3 and 4.
The Sims 2 has Pets, which continues onto 3 and 4.
The Sims 2 has FreeTime, which diversifies in 3 and 4. In the Sims 2, you can gain creativity skill, but in 3 and 4, your Sims may have painting skill and piano skill and guitar skill.
The Sims 2 has Apartment Life, and the apartment scene seems to continue onto 3 and 4.

If The Sims 5 were to come out someday in the future and to continue on with The Sims franchise, then it's likely that we will see:
  1. university
  2. dating, restaurants, supernaturals
  3. businesses and careers and part-time jobs
  4. seasons
  5. pets
  6. fun activities to do in one's own free time and make money out of one's hobbies
  7. apartments

The Sims 2 focused on aspirations, wants, fears, aging, family trees and albums.
The Sims 3 focused on lifetime wishes, wishes and promises, an open world, and neighborhood-wide story progression.
The Sims 4 now focuses on emotions, whims, a different kind of personality trait system, an extensive CAS and fancy Buy/Build editor.
The Sims 5 . . . we can only speculate at this point. Emotions are a personal, individual thing. Social relationships are a collective thing. I really hope that The Sims 5 will focus on social relationships, taking social relationships to a whole new level on a neighborhood-wide scale. In earlier Sims games, Sims can make friends with/enemies with other Sims/become furious with other Sims. Maybe in Sims 5, social classes will affect how Sims interact each other, how much money they get, how Sims treat other Sims based on social class and prestige. Sims may also dislike other Sims based on whatever trait (i.e. blonde hair, make-up, female), and if that Sim is the employer and the employee has that trait, then the employee will struggle a lot in getting promoted because the employer dislikes that Sim. But, that's largely speculative.

Comments

• Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited October 2020
    Yes, pretty much everything that came with the Sims 2 has become a Sims-staple and trying to remove any of those things (like wants, wishes etc) usually get an outcry from the community... and rightly so.

University, Seasons, Businesses and Apartments really brought the Sims to life and it is difficult to imagine them not existing, so props to the Sims 2 team.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    Yes, pretty much everything that came with the Sims 2 has become a Sims-staple and trying to remove any of those things (like wants, wishes etc) usually get an outcry from the community... and rightly so.

University, Seasons, Businesses and Apartments really brought the Sims to life and it is difficult to imagine them not existing, so props to the Sims 2 team.

I think the interests of the producer and the interests of the consumer are directly opposed. EA just wants to sell, sell, sell! The more EA sells, the more money EA makes! The player's happiness and desires are merely secondary. Meanwhile, the consumer wants to maximize happiness with the product, having the most content/gameplay/enjoyment for a reasonable price. Some super-passionate gamers would buy the base game, the EPs, SPs and all the GPs on the release date, so these gamers usually buy stuff at full price and expect high-quality stuff. They may have fond memories of previous Sims games and want the next one to be big and grand and enjoyable as the previous one, so the treadmill keeps on going up and up and up. Players want more and more and more. And EA is trying to find that sweet spot, where they can produce just enough to keep players to buy stuff on a consistent basis, but not enough in such a way that the players would just feel satisfied with ONLY the base game.

Will EA ever make a completely satisfying Base Game of The Sims? Probably never. EA wants to make money, and EPs and SPs and GPs are ways to do that.

I totally agree with the fact that University, Seasons, Businesses and Apartments are a must-have for The Sims, and these things would likely be in The Sims 5.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Base + packs has always been the model. However, prior to TS4, those packs were loaded, not skimpy like now, and things usually worked as advertised. It was not uncommon for expansion packs to not only deliver CAS, b/b, & the titular gameplay, but 3-4 new occupations, improvements to the already great personality system, and more tools - including for the worlds. Each pack made the games richer and deeper, not just piled more stuff onto an already struggling engine.