Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why deliberately avoid matching cabinets and kitchen furniture?

BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
edited October 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Seriousoly, this irritates the heck out of me every time i try to build:

FIrst of all there are a number of base game items that just were never inteded to match, where the devs must have deliberately avoided matching sets. Especially telling because a number of the high end items like dining tables that never came with matching chairs, and high end stoves that don't match anything else.

Then you have the weird phenomenon that almost none of the counters match any walls. And that includes expansions, too. Very very few counters actually go with walls at all. Or window frames.

And then of course you have a few that don't even match themselves. The industrial ones, whatever they are called have a set of cabinets that goes with them that does not match at all, neither color swatch OR shape OR style matches, at all. Why?

And then over all there are too many yet too few swatches for wood. Why why are there like 7 different variations of Birch that doesn't match eachother? Like the "birch swatch for this couch does only match the other birch swatches from the same pack but nothing else in the game, even if they too are suppsedly birchwood"?
How hard is it to actually remember what swatches you used last time?

Sorry that I come off grumpy but it seems like the devs go out of the way to AVOID matching things.

Edit:
Forgot showers. Can someone explain the deliberate choice of making matching sink - toilet - bathtub sets and NOT match the showers??????????????????????
Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
Post edited by Beardedgeek on

Comments

• Options
    ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    Nothing matches, not just the kitchen stuff but nearly everything don't match!
    I just want to cry every time nothing works and wish I had my colour wheel back just so I can make it match nicely!
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Agreed. And now they don’t even make kitchen cabinets, they make weird shelves or nothing at all.

-Island living : shelf and the Island counter was added afterwards.
    - Realm of Magic : no cabinets
    - Snowy Escape : apparently there’s a shelf but I haven’t seen cabinets.....
    So I hope kitchen cabinets will be back sometime.

And don’t get me started on how many items’ white swatch is actually grey, not white, when there is one.....
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    Don't forget, we also have couches, but they either have love seats that don't match, or no love seats at all. It's like they design these items separately, rather than designing them to work cohesively.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 436 Member
    All of the above...and can we please get couches without throw pillows? Or make throw pillows separate objects?
  • Options
    Andyzhang2896Andyzhang2896 Posts: 58 Member
    Yeah, the color swatches they give us are killing me. We have like 5-6 color swatches for the kitchen top cabinet, but for the kitchen counter of the same style, we have 20+ color swatches. How do we match these colors?
    This problem can be easily fixed by giving us a color wheel, simple like that but yet we don't have it.
    I even created a video that shows how the sofa & armchair, bar & kitchen counter, sofa & coffee table, all doesn't match with each other. If they don't want to give us color swatches, at least make 'em good, but the color wheel is always better.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I have long suspected that they deliberately refuse to match objects.

We finally got "most objects" in black and white swatches, BUT we also need:

The same 5 base wood swatches for ALL furniture: Birch, Ash, Oak, Fir, Mahogny.*

Matching stainless steel on all kitchen appliances. This drives me insane. Why do they deliberately make stainless steel swatches mismatch?? You actually have to put effort in to MAKE them missmatch.

*Edit: Or at least two out of five so you can combine stuff. I am perfectly fine with not all wooden furniture having all swatches, but "light wood" should match all other "light wood" and so on.
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    As much as I like the quirkiness I do agree we need more matching objects.

The same 5 base wood swatches for ALL furniture: Birch, Ash, Oak, Fir, Mahogny.*

Matching stainless steel on all kitchen appliances. This drives me insane. Why do they deliberately make stainless steel swatches mismatch?? You actually have to put effort in to MAKE them missmatch.

*Edit: Or at least two out of five so you can combine stuff. I am perfectly fine with not all wooden furniture having all swatches, but "light wood" should match all other "light wood" and so on.

Tell me about it those stainless steel counters drive me nuts.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    BMSO wrote: »

I just "love" the ones where you ALMOST find ONE swatch that matches, but on that one, and that one only, the tap is black or copper for some reason.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Guys, imagine if they added sliders to objects swatches like they're doing for skintones ?
  • Options
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Guys, imagine if they added sliders to objects like they're doing for skintones ? Ok I'm dreaming.

or some kind of *gasp* color wheel?
  • Options
    How can the Vampires kitchen counters and cabinets only have three swatches ??
    Yeah, the color swatches they give us are killing me. We have like 5-6 color swatches for the kitchen top cabinet, but for the kitchen counter of the same style, we have 20+ color swatches. How do we match these colors?
    This problem can be easily fixed by giving us a color wheel, simple like that but yet we don't have it.
    I even created a video that shows how the sofa & armchair, bar & kitchen counter, sofa & coffee table, all doesn't match with each other. If they don't want to give us color swatches, at least make 'em good, but the color wheel is always better.

• Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    BMSO wrote: »

I just "love" the ones where you ALMOST find ONE swatch that matches, but on that one, and that one only, the tap is black or copper for some reason.

It's like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    Well, I really like the new counters from Snowy Escape but there's no matching cabinet... Why???? It should be a rule to include matching counters, islands and cabinets :neutral:
    he/him
  • Options
    Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    One thing I like about the Animal Crossing series is how the game has designed furniture that match a series of items that all cleanly mesh into each other and are built for each other; if you want a particular series of items with a theme, you can easily find them as they all share a common name. I'd love to see something like that for the Sims. I know that there are some series of items already such as the Schmapple stuff, but I'd like to see further expansion on that.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    That's a problem I have with pretty much everything in this game, which is why I hate building. Nothing ever matches, and even in the rare cases that it does, you still have to choose between fitting colours and fitting styles more often than not, because you can't have both. The bar that came with Vampires looks pretty cool, but doesn't match the counters from the same pack either, or any other counters in the entire game!

Then there's lighting, another enemy of mine when it comes to building. Even doors and windows that are meant to be used together often attract/reflect (?) light differently, making them appear in different shades of the same colour when placed next to each other, even though it's the same swatch. It's a nightmare, and yes, I am grumpy because of that, it's even in my name.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I would love to see more swatches matching. The few that do match, forces us to use those same few repeatedly and it destroys creativity.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member
    Seriousoly, this irritates the heck out of me every time i try to build:

FIrst of all there are a number of base game items that just were never inteded to match, where the devs must have deliberately avoided matching sets. Especially telling because a number of the high end items like dining tables that never came with matching chairs, and high end stoves that don't match anything else.

Then you have the weird phenomenon that almost none of the counters match any walls. And that includes expansions, too. Very very few counters actually go with walls at all. Or window frames.

And then of course you have a few that don't even match themselves. The industrial ones, whatever they are called have a set of cabinets that goes with them that does not match at all, neither color swatch OR shape OR style matches, at all. Why?

And then over all there are too many yet too few swatches for wood. Why why are there like 7 different variations of Birch that doesn't match eachother? Like the "birch swatch for this couch does only match the other birch swatches from the same pack but nothing else in the game, even if they too are suppsedly birchwood"?
    How hard is it to actually remember what swatches you used last time?

Sorry that I come off grumpy but it seems like the devs go out of the way to AVOID matching things.

Edit:
    Forgot showers. Can someone explain the deliberate choice of making matching sink - toilet - bathtub sets and NOT match the showers??????????????????????

I thought I was the only one irritated by all the mismatched colours, styles, shapes, etc. Good to know others are as well.

What irritates me most is that they give us the most ugly colour combos and patterns too. It’s like their artists are colour blind, or are trying to force us to support cc creators because the cc creators give them free advertising.

I’ve been waiting for more counter sets along with matching island counters and cabinets. But, we keep getting more non-matching chairs, tables and toilets instead. Don’t know why we need so many of them especially when they won’t match anything else anyway.

And why restrict us with a bunch of mismatched cushions on sofas and beds. When people asked for cushions, they meant a separate item that we can place on sofas and beds, not an item already attached so we’re stuck with what their artists think looks good.

Oh, and the clothes. Why are the bottom layers always longer than the top layers so shirts hang below sweaters and jackets? And why are men’s pants so short? There are no floods, We don’t just want to create slobs.
  • Options
    To be fair Sims 3 was just as bad, it's like the Sims team(s) for years are quirky bohemians and expects everyone to be too, or they genuinely don't cooperate between each other at all and actually have no clue what the guy at the desk next to them is designing. At all.

The difference, of course, is the color wheel. In Sims 3 the stainless steel items were just as horribly matched but then you could force them to match. We don't have that "luxury" here thanks to it being intended as an online game.
  • Options
    But it isn’t just the colour. It’s the shapes too. Dining table legs don’ match dining chair legs. Dressers don’t match night tables. Headboards don’t match dressers or night tables.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    These complaints were known in the older games, too, I see so much in them that doesn't match and never did and never will. Numenor and Marylou and a few other custom creators made matching stuff for the older games, but Maxis is infamous for doing this in all their Sim games.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Exactly ! That’s what I was saying, if you look at recent DLC including kitchen counters like Island Living and Realm Of Magic, there was no matching cabinet, and same here in Snowy Escape :(
    FlpAmaral wrote: »
    Well, I really like the new counters from Snowy Escape but there's no matching cabinet... Why???? It should be a rule to include matching counters, islands and cabinets :neutral:

• Options
    Exactly ! That’s what I was saying, if you look at recent DLC including kitchen counters like Island Living and Realm Of Magic, there was no matching cabinet, and same here in Snowy Escape :(

I sort of disagree here; there WERE matching cabinets in Island Living but they were sorted under "Surfaces - Shelves" since you could put clutter on them. As James have pointed out the team has a bad habit of hiding items under ONLY one category (like the "misc" tables for the small dining table in Tiny Living for example, or these cabinets that should be listed so they would be easy to find).
  • Options
    BohoFlowerBohoFlower Posts: 143 Member
    I agree it's quite difficult to get things to match and we totally need more Pastel Colors and Recolors for items too, if they just gave us the Color Wheel this wouldn't be such an issue then we could use color codes from the internet to choose whatever color we want to, it worked for TS3 so Why not TS4? it would hugely compliment the better Building Tools.

Now i can't use the Blank Canvases in Debug because there's now a picture on them which you can see from the side... so i can't cover the sides and backs of the counters or maybe it's a glitch i dunno but what they DO match is mainly natural colors but you get bored of it fast, i'd like to be able to use colors like Peach not just the kind of Ivory or pinky white colors, the only Siding i've found that matches the best is Cabin In The Woods and i'd like more Siding that goes up the way and 1 where it has these thin white strips of wood going up the way quite close to each other, like there's the colored wood and then instead of the usual Corrugated look you have the white pieces of wood that make the look instead... it would add something interesting and different to it.

I don't get why Simple Siding has a Peach but the other Siding doesn't except the two with the brick but i don't just want Peach i want to be able to recolor the sides and the tops of Counters, Cabinets and Recolor other items too things would match A LOT better then if we could, it's cute and all but depending on what we're building the wider Siding may suit it better or Siding that goes upwards too so those need all the recolors too, i just had to use Cabin In The Woods for a house i just built but sadly the only color i can find that suits it is the Ivory White, if i could recolor it i'd be able to use a color that also suits the house.

I noticed that too about how some items are Categorized, some items in Misc especially in Decorations definitely need to be put in the right place like Why are there Paintings in Misc? Why are a few Kitchen Decorations in there when they could be in Paintings and Clutter? i think the Corkboard can go into Wall Decorations, Antique Teapot & Coffee Pots, the Utensil Holders, Fruit Bowls, Antique Scale should go into Clutter with the other items like that, Why is the Happy Teeth Toothbrush Set both in Clutter and Misc?, the Condiment Basket could go into Clutter too cos that's what it essentially is same with the Honeycomb Bottle Holder and Spice Rack, i think mostly everything is categorized fine though just some items would be better in 1 place.

• Options

I sort of disagree here; there WERE matching cabinets in Island Living but they were sorted under "Surfaces - Shelves" since you could put clutter on them. As James have pointed out the team has a bad habit of hiding items under ONLY one category (like the "misc" tables for the small dining table in Tiny Living for example, or these cabinets that should be listed so they would be easy to find).

Those are shelves though which are different from cabinets. I want matching cabinets.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Here are a few offenders in terms of non matching counters and cabinets.

The "Cool Kitchen stuff " cabinet comes in a beautiful (actual) white swatch but the counter does not. So it's unusable, which is sad because I'd use it often, even more if the counters didn't have that grey "frame".

The Jungle adventures cabinets match the countertops instead of the counters themselves....

The Parenthood cabinets don't match the counters tones.

Same for Spa Day counters, they don't match.

qzsFFEi.png