Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lifetyles and Sentiments System... on the fence!

I took a break of two months from the forums and my game after the EL features fisco that almost destroyed my 3 years old save. And that GP Disney Ad, shame. Now that I'm back I'm in shock: a new EP is on the way!

EP10 is like one of my dreams coming true: a traditional asian world! I wanted THIS since day one! I loved Sims 2 and Sims 3 asian worlds the most. I have an asian world at Newcrest thanks to my builds. And more snow! as I have never seen snow, well, I love snowy worlds. OMG kimonos for men! Yes, it is my dreamy EP and I was sure that it was not possible to have... BUT I'm on the fence:

I'm afraid of the Lifetyles and Sentiments System :( maybe I have a post EL NAPS trauma, but if the same team that designed the EL features designed this new system, well, my sims are doomed :'( Worst, I'm also afraid of the pre EP patch: what system is it based on? it will broken it? vampires, fame, spellcasters, clubs????

Don't get me wrong, the feature sounds awesome, great idea! how was the NAPS, the green footprints... I'm afraid of The Sims EL programmers.

EP10 is a symbol, I want it: I feel it was prepared for us to play echoing the olympic games (Tokyo 2020). Somehow this hurts my heart :'( Maybe it will change the game: for good or not. Maybe the best I can do is to wait, and skip for the first time a preorder. Do you feel the same?

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,805 Member
    edited October 2020

Just wait for the livestream, player reviews, etc and then decide if you want it.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I'm glad that you're excited about the theme and content of the new pack. It's good to hear excitement. By release time, I'm not sure exactly how traditional it will be if EA caves to a loud few that probably have never posted in these forums before.

I, too, am excited about both the Japanese theme and the snow sports on the mountain. This might be my new favorite pack since Get Famous.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the whole EL business. Just the game features you want to carry through in your worlds, in every save. Pollution! And I hate, hate, hate that my sims get a sad buff when they didn't fight everyone on BRAWL DAY. I could understand having those fun (?) features in a game but why do they need to carry through every world? I avoid playing in Port Pollution because I don't want to deal with the trash and the NAPS stupidity.

Anyway, glad you're happy about Snowy Escape and we'll learn more Friday in the Live Stream. I made a huge list of questions and I have mo doubt that every single one of them will be ignored and go unanswered. Graham seems like a nice guy but he is a company man and will ignore anything that might make the game look bad or answer any question that might make the game seem less than the perfect product that they think they put out.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I’ve seen others share this concern. It’s hard to say until we have more info and some examples of what they actually mean. I did not buy Eco Lifestyle and never planned to, and when they described the NAPs I could sense right away that they would be a problem. Why would anyone want everyone in their neighborhood to act the same, or to let the neighborhood dictate so much about what they did? What sounded so great about Sharing Is Caring to begin with? Or the bags on heads?

Here’s hoping the Lifestyles and Sentiments are nothing like that. From what we know so far, I’m optimistic because any autonomy changes (specific to a sim) would be an improvement.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,452 Member
    Personally, I see this change in the game as a rather special dynamic. Currently, I've been using the Slice of Life mod that augments our Sims' personalities like nobody's business. If Lifestyles and Sentiments does anything close to this mod, I'm excited for it. I can well understand your reticence. I have an innate fear of patches, myself. The past three have really done a number on my game saves. I did finally, figure out that it wasn't altogether necessary for me to start a brand new game save to 'fix' the problem. But, rather, I needed to pull my mods/cc out and redownload them, anew, one at a time. (After they were updated, of course.) Playing the game for a bit, checking the mods out individually. This saved my current game. I am the Queen of Restarts, but I had just restarted, as it were, and taken my four siblings through Uni. All but one is married at this point, but the lone hold out just got engaged. Hey, he's in Med School, or was, and just made Chief Resident and is now drawing a paycheck. His sweetheart has also taken a job to help them out. I have not planned the wedding, yet. The point is, I was able to save this game. We live and learn.

But, I just restarted my Ancestral game save. Here we sit waiting for that other shoe to drop. Oi. But, I can't wait until I can see what this new system will bring. As always, I will backup my game folder, especially my saves and Tray, pull my Mods folder and hope for the best. At least I'm not staring down a hurricane or anything. Although Zeta is on a path that would threaten where my sixth great-grandfather was laid to rest. I haven't been there, yet, either. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited October 2020
    My advice, never buy packs on release day.

Wait at least a couple of days so you can read feedback from other simmers, not enough resources are put into preventing bugs and fixing bugs that currently are in the game.

I'm interested to learn more about lifestyles and sentiments but I hope that they will not involve our sims doing the same animations over and over again.

I will probably buy this pack before the december update which will update skin tones, I would like to play the pack but I don't think that I will update my game in december because the december update will most likely break custom skins, and I would like to wait to download that update until custom skins will eventually be updated by the modders, which means that I have to buy the pack before the december update.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I can't judge it until I can play it.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited October 2020
    I struggle see anything that adds more personality to the sims as a bad thing. The lifestyles and sentiments are what I'm looking forward to the most. I very much hope that they won't turn out to be another N.A.P type disaster.

I was actually quite excited for Eco Lifestyle originally but now sadly I play with it's main feature turned off. The N.A.P's are actually awful and so incredibly pointless at the same time. The Eco Footprint does whatever it wants. My current family has done nothing towards improving the environment and the meter is still moving up and down as it pleases.
  • HayleeSimsHayleeSims Posts: 124 Member
    I have a feeling these lifestyles and sentiments are just gonna be GF quirks. Things you acquire after doing something frequently and that might make your sim do something once in a while and get moodlet.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Lifestyles looks exactly like Get Famous quirks sad to see I doubt they will have any true impact now. But if it does its always going to be one extreme or another how I miss the point system.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited October 2020
    I'm worried. I can see a scenario where I have a sim under the influence of the get healthy N.A.P. who also then gets the active lifestyle. That sim will spam push ups on the pavement until they die.

Or a famous sim with the phone quirk who also gets whatever the new phone lifestyle is... how on earth would you get anything done with them?! It could be quite awful.

I have a bit more hope about the sentiments. If this is some sort of memory system and sims actually remember that they just argued with someone 23 seconds ago and probably shouldn't start autonomously hugging, this would be a massive improvement for me.

I'm glad to see you Emere and I look forward to some beautiful builds if you go ahead and get this pack.
  • peterskywalkerpeterskywalker Posts: 553 Member
    I see where you are coming from. I don’t have eco living so luckily don’t have NAP but hopefully if it is not right modders will fix it.

I actually feel like the lifestyles are more likely to not make a big difference. The whole autonomy in the sims 4 is lacking and I use several mods to help.

Hopefully we are both proven wrong.
    True Love
    Terrific Family Play
    Too fun
    The sims 2 forever
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    Most of them are like traits we already have
    sedentary - lazy
    energetic - active
    outdoorsy - love outdoors
    indoorsy - ? loner perhaps
    people person - outgoing
    close knit - family oriented
    health food nut - vegetarian
    junk food fiend - glutton

Seems like all they will do is make moodlets/buffs even worse. Like, active sims already only seem to want to exercise 24/7 so adding energetic would only make that worse.

• Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    AprilDawn wrote: »
    sedentary - lazy
    energetic - active
    people person - outgoing

Seems like all they will do is make moodlets/buffs even worse. Like, active sims already only seem to want to exercise 24/7 so adding energetic would only make that worse.

SO absoluly useless :(
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    I'm very interested to see how Sentiments will play out. It looks like a memory system, something the game needs. I want to see how bad of a grudge my Sim will hold to a bad sim with an already atrocious reputation.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • ejiofor1995ejiofor1995 Posts: 19 Member
    It looks like Sentiments will come in the free update but Lifestyle system is exclusive to expansion pack
    According to Pixelade's latest video, sentiments might involve things like your sim remembering a brawl with someone else so when they encounter them again they can have a harder time talking, or be angry.

Your sim can also apparently remember happy or sad moments as well and be happy or sad about it.

Remains to be seen if this is true, we have not seen anything from it so far from official channels...
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I think the lifestyles and sentiments sounds cool. But after the new trailer, it definitely concerned me a bit. I'm really hoping that it's not like other things that cause Sims to easily flip in and out of an emotion. The blog used the words 'adding more depth to Sims personalities'....which I don't know if EA's definition of depth is the same as mine.

But I am looking forward to seeing more what lifestyles are all about in the livestream. It's been 6 years, so I'm definitely open to the idea of new stuff to enhance my Sims personalities. I currently use tons of mods...so my wish is the this new system adds the depth that I need so I dont' have to rely on mods
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    I'm just hoping that the eco life style NAPS and what not do not interfere with the sentiments and new life style changes in EP 10 causing an epic bug that will need to be modded before a fix. Otherwise I have been looking for a personality change since day 1 of the game.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

New lifestylo look cheapy :( If you have a active sims you get active lifestyle... If you have a geek and geek love play on computer you get indoor and gaming lifestyle... Nothing great :(:(
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,372 Member
    New lifestylo look cheapy :( If you have a active sims you get active lifestyle... If you have a geek and geek love play on computer you get indoor and gaming lifestyle... Nothing great :(:(

I think these would be good to mix with other traits that aren't related to lifestyle so you can add more traits in a way, though I wonder how would a sim that loves outdoors but has couch potato lifestyle would work in game.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,338 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

I think these would be good to mix with other traits that aren't related to lifestyle so you can add more traits in a way, though I wonder how would a sim that loves outdoors but has couch potato lifestyle would work in game.

A writer typing in the backyard to the sound of wind chimes and birdsong comes to mind. On a very comfy chair. Or even an e-sport professional with a laptop.
    I wonder how the food lifestyle will work, my sims eat healthy food sometimes and sometimes not so healthy food. Will the game pick the first food my sim will eat, or do my sim has to eat a lot of healthy or unhealthy food in order for it to trigger?
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,404 Member
    AprilDawn wrote: »
    sedentary - lazy
    energetic - active
    people person - outgoing

You're really stretching it with some of those and we have yet to know how they work. Either way I'm interested in this feature, they could potentially work as an extra trait or just something that makes the character better defined.
    crocobaura wrote: »

It will by ok, IF we have a lot traits. But we have not! So many pack and so few traits... In EL, they give us 4 traits, but three was the same

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I don’t know enough yet to like or dislike it.