Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Journey to Batuu is 50% off already...

Comments

• Options
    IrishSimmer21IrishSimmer21 Posts: 464 Member
    I have no interest in JTB but to be fair, it isn't the only pack that has gone on sale quickly after release. There is usually an EP released every November and there is always a Christmas sale, on Origin, which includes that EP. Discover University went on sale last Christmas and Get Famous was on sale during Christmas 2018.
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    Sweet! Origin keeps erroring out for me though.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    candy8 wrote: »
    The game is a bummer I have never seen a pack go on sale so fast must be a real dud.

Not necessarily. I believe Cats and Dogs and City Living went on sale quickly (my memory could be mistaken, it could be different EPs) but most of those have done pretty well. Just like how everyone around here assumed My First Pet flopped but it turned out to be a bestseller.

You just never really know.

Where do people get sale numbers from?

Sometimes SimGuru Lyndsay and Grant share general info, usually on Twitter. They don't give us exact sales numbers, but they will offer some insight. Lyndsay gave us a ranking list once on most played packs in their first year of release. The only ones I remember exactly was that Parenthood and Vampires were at the top of Game Packs.

To be honest though, I thought it was a strange way to word it. "Most played in it's first year of release". That still doesn't exactly say how the actual sales were. Tricky.

That makes it a bestseller? “Most played in Y1” is a figure that is wildly different for every single DLC (since sales are not consistent for every single pack, every one would have to be calculated separately) and then making a ranking list out of that data is nothing short of misleading.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Yeah I'm a little bit sceptical when the actual company states "Our new product is a best-seller" but don't give us a number for comparison. But you know I could imagine MFPS to have sold well since they did lock content in it that imo should have been in Cats and Dogs. But many Sims fans simply don't care...
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    Yeah I'm a little bit sceptical when the actual company states "Our new product is a best-seller" but don't give us a number for comparison. But you know I could imagine MFPS to have sold well since they did lock content in it that imo should have been in Cats and Dogs. But many Sims fans simply don't care...

EA has never called it a best seller. To my knowledge none of the gurus have ever called it a best seller. Since it’s bundled in with C&D for free (consoles won’t sell this pack) it’s sales status is worthless at this point. PC players were cheated out of an extra $10 lol
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited October 2020
    bellagoth_ wrote: »

Sometimes SimGuru Lyndsay and Grant share general info, usually on Twitter. They don't give us exact sales numbers, but they will offer some insight. Lyndsay gave us a ranking list once on most played packs in their first year of release. The only ones I remember exactly was that Parenthood and Vampires were at the top of Game Packs.

To be honest though, I thought it was a strange way to word it. "Most played in it's first year of release". That still doesn't exactly say how the actual sales were. Tricky.

CGXJjCp.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    The game is a bummer I have never seen a pack go on sale so fast must be a real dud.

Not necessarily. I believe Cats and Dogs and City Living went on sale quickly (my memory could be mistaken, it could be different EPs) but most of those have done pretty well. Just like how everyone around here assumed My First Pet flopped but it turned out to be a bestseller.

That makes it a bestseller? “Most played in Y1” is a figure that is wildly different for every single DLC (since sales are not consistent for every single pack, every one would have to be calculated separately) and then making a ranking list out of that data is nothing short of misleading.

Well, that's the question. How a pack performs in its first year is important. If they are gauging how many players use a pack in that first year of release, what I want to know is what aspects of a pack determine its use? Some people buy packs just to build, is that a qualifier?

They aren't going to give us sales numbers. The closest we get to that is the quarterly reports from the CEO. But that also doesn't break packs down to individual sales. So all we really have to go on for info is the vague "this did well, that went beyond our expectations", etc.

#Team Occult
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    I'm not buying this...EVER! I do not want random townies walking around in my game with twi'lek masks on and that ugly eye ball ring to match. If EA would've put some effort into this and made actual alien races to integrate with what we got in Get To Work and made it a world you could live in, then I might have been tempted. But I'm not paying for some Disney World advert to be in my game.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Thanks for pointing it out! I just picked it up.
  • Options
    RadioAChickenRadioAChicken Posts: 163 Member
    MFPS went on sale for 50% off pretty early on, probably to boost sale numbers and as already pointed out the November released expansions often show up in the Christmas sales.

Personally I like that a selection of the game packs are actually 50% off because 25% always seems like such a stingy discount and yes I did just buy the pack because I do like the theme. I agree that the gameplay looks lacking for the price but I'm planning on using the items for Star Wars inspired builds in my other worlds so for £9 I'm happy. That's probably who they wanted to draw in, the fence sitters who like the pack but not enough to buy it at full price. Plus I'm not the only one in the house that plays so we'll get our moneys worth. Not everyone will feel the same and that's fine.
    iscQh5U.png
  • Options

Well, that's the question. How a pack performs in its first year is important. If they are gauging how many players use a pack in that first year of release, what I want to know is what aspects of a pack determine its use? Some people buy packs just to build, is that a qualifier?

They aren't going to give us sales numbers. The closest we get to that is the quarterly reports from the CEO. But that also doesn't break packs down to individual sales. So all we really have to go on for info is the vague "this did well, that went beyond our expectations", etc.

That’s kind of what I was alluding to with my post. Some of the DLC have a big install base but many claim they don’t use the gameplay content. This can negatively impact your avg depending on what kind of outcome you’re wanting. Works the other way too, small install base needs fewer people in order to maintain a higher avg.

As for what determines use: sales and scope. Doesn’t matter what players use the pack for, if it’s installed they are included in the calculation. Scope is tricky because that’s time, but also any combination of specific items. I would guess they gauge usage off of the gameplay content/features, since CAS/BB is all functionally base game content and there’s just so much generic deco that it would probably be inaccurate to consider that meaningful usage.

This is the same telemetry process that told them no one used voodoo dolls which led to them making voodoo dolls a staple feature for one of the CL festivals so people would use them more. There’s issues relying on that kind of data, and I still think making a ranking list was misleading.
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    In my opinion, when you see such a considerable discount so early since release, you've got some big problems. Heck, even when I bought 2-3 year old GPs earlier this year and last year, they were always 25% off. Not 50.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I'm not buying this...EVER! I do not want random townies walking around in my game with twi'lek masks on and that ugly eye ball ring to match. If EA would've put some effort into this and made actual alien races to integrate with what we got in Get To Work and made it a world you could live in, then I might have been tempted. But I'm not paying for some Disney World advert to be in my game.

You will see no Star Wars races in your game if you don't go to Batuu - excepting only Cosplayers at GeekCon, which, as far as I know, will still be limited to the Base Game Star Wars costumes. (I admit, I haven't gone to a GeekCon since installing JtB)

Not saying you should buy it if you don't want it. Just clearing up a misconception about Batuu townies being invasive. They're not.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    cody6268 wrote: »
    In my opinion, when you see such a considerable discount so early since release, you've got some big problems. Heck, even when I bought 2-3 year old GPs earlier this year and last year, they were always 25% off. Not 50.

Really? I would think for EPs there's about a 5 month wait... I got Get Famous in the Feb after it was released for 50% off, and I know my husband got Island living at 50% off as a Christmas gift less than 6 months after release.

I have never seen GPs on sale for 50% off though, but this sale isn't limited to JtB.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited October 2020
    It looks like they are really trying to get people to buy this pack. Every time you try to purchase a Sims pack, a popup comes up and recommends you buy JTB as well. Just saw it in a video by Simmer Erin on Youtube:

<iframe>="http://youtu.be/xPjrvKN3igg&quot;]youtu.be/xPjrvKN3igg&lt;/iframe&gt;

Also, when I tried to purchase any random pack, this came up:

y4mNtjqdPKFpXSwtE-y_JTBQBmJgRGLY4CwvmcUrBH5MQPipUoocaEg8nOhO2vmfhj6XTSsdHiR1QbwcTNzz1sTAkV3wLAtZtj0yoiZoNz6ALHxMyHiyk_XXQfLWlVse49-tXe1uVat3a8gYR7TcvPH9gZqktY5rj-yq-R3mkz7kNLMeVlGHG63NTQb4wWBYwy3?width=1403&height=713&cropmode=none

Seems like pretty obnoxious advertising. Sales must have been pretty bad if they're pressuring you purchase this pack with anything you select.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    ^ "You know what goes well with knitting? Robots and aliens."
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Gordy wrote: »

:D:D:D They're desperate to sell this pack. I guess Disney wasn't happy with the sales, and now they're making everyone look at this annoying popup.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    Gordy wrote: »

:D:D:D They're desperate to sell this pack. I guess Disney wasn't happy with the sales, and now they're making everyone look at this annoying popup.

i think they're managing to make people hate more the pack rather than wanting to buy it. nobody likes forced ads, imagine forcing an ad of a pack that is basically an ad.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited October 2020
    It looks like they are really trying to get people to buy this pack. Every time you try to purchase a Sims pack, a popup comes up and recommends you buy JTB as well. Just saw it in a video by Simmer Erin on Youtube:

y4mNtjqdPKFpXSwtE-y_JTBQBmJgRGLY4CwvmcUrBH5MQPipUoocaEg8nOhO2vmfhj6XTSsdHiR1QbwcTNzz1sTAkV3wLAtZtj0yoiZoNz6ALHxMyHiyk_XXQfLWlVse49-tXe1uVat3a8gYR7TcvPH9gZqktY5rj-yq-R3mkz7kNLMeVlGHG63NTQb4wWBYwy3?width=1403&height=713&cropmode=none

Seems like pretty obnoxious advertising. Sales must have been pretty bad if they're pressuring you purchase this pack with anything you select.

OMGosh, I thought, "nah, that can't be," but I went and tried it and I got almost the same popup but it made it look like JtB was required. Now, it's technically not lying. The wording is "To access all content, The Sims™ 4 Star Wars™: Journey to Batuu Game Pack is also required." But wow is it skeevy. The only pack I don't own right now is that one and MFPS -- it came up when I put MFPS in my cart.
  • Options
    Felicity wrote: »

OMGosh, I thought, "nah, that can't be," but I went and tried it and I got almost the same popup but it made it look like JtB was required. Now, it's technically not lying. The wording is "To access all content, The Sims™ 4 Star Wars™: Journey to Batuu Game Pack is also required." But wow is it skeevy. The only pack I don't own right now is that one and MFPS -- it came up when I put MFPS in my cart.

That's why it comes up, though. Because you don't have it. They're not going to push you to buy something you already have. Someone in this thread said they got a different one because they own Batuu already. That's how marketing does it's work to push people to buy what they don't have. It's not exclusive to one pack.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    edited October 2020
    Considering they're now trying to trick people into buying it... NO. I didn't want it before. I don't want it now. I won't want it later. I don't even want it if it's free. I. Hate. Star Wars. The "required" message pops up on Nifty Knitting, Eco Lifestyle, and the Snowy Escape pre-order (the only packs I intend to buy when I can). I'm guessing they attached it to every pack to trick people into buying it. Their lack of integrity is sickening.
  • Options
    Oh, okay...I see what people are saying now, sorry, I missed that it was saying, "required". That is indeed weird.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    It's seems that no matter how many people purchase the pack, the suggestion to buy another always come out the Starwars gamepack, even go as far as something "Like hold on, to unlock all content buy this"

Got the info from simscommunity
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I don’t get the Star Wars ad in the carousel on my launch screen and I’m wondering if anyone else still does? It disappeared weeks ago after I filled out a survey asking for Nifty Knitting feedback. I had the chance to write some remarks in a text box and I told them what I liked about NK but then I took the opportunity to say how much I hated the Star Wars pack and the direction they were taking the game. And since then I haven’t seen ads for it. I wondered if someone was kind enough to make sure it no longer showed up in my game, but I thought surely it’s a coincidence lol.

I haven’t bought any packs during this sale and I don’t plan to, so I can’t speak to the pop-ups. But it reminded me of this.