Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If there is a Sims 5, should our sims be of actual ages, instead of just stages in life?

I think this would be very interesting.

Comments

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I rather they still separated by stages but introduces gradual aging so early adulthood and late adulthood look different
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I feel actual ages might be a little much. I would not feel bad if they put resources into something other than gradual aging.

I do like the stages, though. Whatever they do, it has to feel meaningful. Stages feel meaningful to me when you transition and have new privileges with a new appearence.

I am not sure how they will handle birthdays with gradual aging. Theoretically you could have 100 or so. They'd also have to somehow balance it with game time. It also begs the question of what you are going to do with players, like me, that play with aging off and do it manually.

Whatever they do, so long as it is well balanced and does not force me into an abrasive playstyle against the clock, I will be happy.
  • NetflixianHereNetflixianHere Posts: 18 Member
    I feel like the age stages are the best choice to show that they are aging. A pro/con (depends on how you look at it) I thought of for having actual ages is certain ages get to do more stuff than others. For example, when you're sixteen and above you can have jobs while fourteen and below can't. I don't know, it's a bad example, but I do see where having actual ages might be fun.
  • LeanneStrong57LeanneStrong57 Posts: 66 Member
    I feel like the age stages are the best choice to show that they are aging. A pro/con (depends on how you look at it) I thought of for having actual ages is certain ages get to do more stuff than others. For example, when you're sixteen and above you can have jobs while fourteen and below can't. I don't know, it's a bad example, but I do see where having actual ages might be fun.

Yes, and when they are about 2 or 3, they can learn potty training. When they are 3-5, they can start preschool. When they are 5-6, they can start school, and ride the school bus.
  • SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    I think this would be very interesting.

Yes! I have suggested this in the past. I would adore this change.

This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    I prefer life stages and would like more of them: preteen, adolescent, midlife, etc.
  • sazzieJsazzieJ Posts: 150 Member
    itd be interesting and id like to see it done, if done right (whats right tho is hard to say). however, if it cant be done maybe we could have gradual aging in each stage like when sims are pregnant how their belly grows gradually until theyre huge.

as toddlers they could start out tiny and get bigger and bigger until its their birthday. children sims get taller and taller and their faces more defined. teens would also get taller and more defined, less baby fat in the face, and itd be a good way to introduce a 'height' mechanic that has random heights based on genetics for example on average most female sims are shorter and stop growing taller earlier whereas the male sims have a massive growth spout towards the end of the teen stage

young adults would just maintain their heights but look fresh, adult sims would gradually get wrinkles and signs of aging, and elders would have their hair gradually whiten and more significant signs of aging like hunching etc etc
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Yes. Actual ages is the only thing right now that would convince me to switch to a new version and have to start a new save all over again
  • AlyssaBrosiBAlyssaBrosiB Posts: 17 Member
    Sims2and3 need combining as dose 4that is a sims 5 with the option it should be free with the option of subscription and too buy somoleines like with elder scrolls on line now that is a sims worthplaying and buying and yes ages would be too complicated so not a good idea
    Stages as how they have it now except for. The No pree teen my only requirement for the sims 5 would bemake babies sims 3 As sims wise add the babies stuff and social options sims 2 wise with the option of the kid giving a toddler a bottle Sims 3 wise the option too go too the fridge and get the bottle or food with the option to use the food processor and have the kid wait and throw a fit untill they get it oh and too add crawling. Before walking
    Hope I helped
  • AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    edited October 2020
    I prefer life stages, the thought of my sims having actual age feels strange to me. It would bother me if, for example, the game says that my sim is 25 years old, when in fact she is hundreds of years old witch who stopped aging as a young adult. Currently, the game just says that she is a young adult, which can mean anything I want it to mean.
  • JusMuffyJusMuffy Posts: 2 New Member
    sims 5 needs to hurry up because its too much going on with the sims 4... its all over the place and the content is all over too but I love the sims 4 tho
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    For me, it's too specific detail for my liking. I prefer the general age range of what a Sim is than explicit age. They need to fix, like, teens looking exactly like young adults as a priority though.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I don't know, maybe. I sometimes make some Sims a few days (years) older than others. It's a thing to me. lol Like some males a few days or a week older than say a female etc. I noticed in these games some males are older (closer to death) than the females, often. Especially the older games, right out of CAS one is older than the other. I thought it was because of which Sim I created first in the household, but noticed that doesn't really matter. I never did let any Sim die of old age in TS4 so I'm not sure which one in a household went first. A male or a female.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    How would that work, with seasons, years, etc? It's already bizarro enough with a single turn of 4 seasons being able to be a Sim's entire lifestage, depending on how long you set the seasons or the lifespan for. Having ages in actual years? Would the parents come home and find their child had aged 4 years in a day? And if you had to have birthday parties for every.single.year you'd be doing nothing else!

I'm happy with no more or finer divisions than we already have.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Actual ages would be silly.
    My sims are immortal.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I want life stages.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I just prefer it as it is, I can pretend they are x years old just fine.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    While I prefer stages, I also believe that trying to make it so that the Sims gradually grow would make the game inaccessible to anyone without the highest end of the gaming computers (and would stretch even them). Many of the things that people want would be very "resource intensive" and so are not really possible in the game.
  • LeosimsLeosims Posts: 47 Member
    I Want Life Stages,I Dont want gradual Aging to keep it simple.
  • OliwkaWidmoOliwkaWidmo Posts: 45 Member
    I think this would either end up being too complicated, or wouldn't change much. I'm more than fine with stages.
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    Gradual aging would be perfect. Theres a mod that does it for the Sims 3 for both adults and elders as well as children and teens. It's perfect, the few times I play with aging its a neccessity to make my Sims actually feel some change as they go into adulthood. Especially if there was an option to change how far into a lifestage someone is in CAS.

...Most people wouldn't be too affected by it I can guess since I know a large majority of Simmers play young adults who I'd guess would be more or less the same throughout.

Ages in years are a bit more... Iffy, especially if seasons is released. Would the years in seasons affect age in years or just aging through the player set life span?

L9q8VGi.png
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I don't want actual ages but I'd like to see two more ages categories - pre teen and middle aged. I don't like how sims go straight from kids (about 7-9) to teenagers who look 17-19, and the adult category is too broad. I'd consider it anything 30/35-70 which is such a big category. Instead it should be adult for 30s and 40s, and middle aged for 50s and 60s.

As a whole the system I'd like is:
    • Babies 0-2
    • Toddlers 2-4
    • Kids 7-9
    • Pre-Teens 11-14
    • Teens 14-18 (and I want them to actually look younger and different to young adults)
    • Young Adult 19-34
    • Adult 34-50
    • Middle Aged 50-Late 60s
    • Elder 70+
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited December 2020
    Ehhh... I don't think it would work with the current way the game works. As some have stated already how would seasons affect actual aging? Would a year be a complete seasons run through or would it be just one season? Would that then mean we'd have to shorten the seasons to make aging make sense in the sims? Would it cause aging to be longer? Would we have the option to adjust aging to make it faster or slower depending on our playstyles? How would that then work with seasons?

Gradual aging would work better in my opinion but I don't think any new life stages should be added either. The ones we have are already severely neglected as it is. Imagine how much worse it would be if we squeezed in pre teens and others.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn