Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has autonomy already improved? (in preperation for SE?)

Okay, so, I just read about the new EP adding some "personality" features if you will (Lifestyle and Sentiments), which sound like they will improve on autonomy among other things.
Now I am wondering....for a couple of days now I got the impression that my sims autonomy has improved in the sense that they are acting more according to their traits instead of everybody doing the same thing regardless.
For example:
whenever I leave a sim alone (while playing another), they would pretty much all of them go to the nearest computer and either play a game or troll teh forums, no matter what their traits were. Now it happend in at least 2 households, that the "idle" sim would either use the computer but for something fitting their traits/skills (for example a music lover sim researched the guitar) or do something else that fits their traits (music lover would listen to music, play an instrument), plus they tend to be more interested in talking to the other sims in the household than the computer...all of them ignored the TV completely...

idk, maybe it was just coincedence or wishful thinking, but now I am thinking they might have already tweaked those behaviours a little in preperation for the upcoming EP and it's new features with the latest patch (and just didn't mention it in the patch notes cause it might have given away too much or raise too many expectations)...
but again, I am not sure...

so...anybody else noticed this in their game? Or am I just seeing things?
Gallery ID: ra7orrat

Comments

• Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    No, no it hasn't.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I don't know if it's just the fact that I'm playing a different family with a different set up in their home but I have noticed that my sims are sitting down to watch TV again lately. I would say that could be an autonomy improvement maybe.
  • FlapFlap Posts: 200 Member
    Yeap, since last patch I noticed some improvements on Autonomy. My Sims are more responsive to its needs, objects at the lot and their traits.

I guess that EL messed a bit with autonomy (because of NAP effects over it) and they needed a couple of patches to tune it (hello covid).
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I don't know if it's just the fact that I'm playing a different family with a different set up in their home but I have noticed that my sims are sitting down to watch TV again lately. I would say that could be an autonomy improvement maybe.

yeah, I noticed that too, not only did they sit down for watching TV, but they also sat AT THE TABLE when eating!
    Although those things seem more like bug fixes to me, since they used to work until some pack broke them.
    Flap wrote: »
    Yeap, since last patch I noticed some improvements on Autonomy. My Sims are more responsive to its needs, objects at the lot and their traits.

I guess that EL messed a bit with autonomy (because of NAP effects over it) and they needed a couple of patches to tune it (hello covid).

could be that they just fixed it back to normal and maybe I was just so used to the brocken behavior that anything working well seems amazing now...

RavenSpit wrote: »
    Sharonia wrote: »

yeah, I noticed that too, not only did they sit down for watching TV, but they also sat AT THE TABLE when eating!
    Although those things seem more like bug fixes to me, since they used to work until some pack broke them.

I'm happy to know it's not just my imagination. It was what drove me away from playing the TS4. I can't stand such poor autonomy.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Any sim will research a musical instrument as much as they will troll forums.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,480 Member
    I, too, believe I have seen some improvements. Certainly, my Sims aren't always standing idle even after I've given them things to do. But, then some of them simply defy the queued action, too. But, one of my Sims came in from work and sat at his laptop browsing the Internet. I had hoped he was reading the Medical things he has to do for his daily work task, however, he was just browsing the Internet. So, if we are seeing things, at least it's not just me. LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    Honestly, with all the mods I use to improve it I couldnt tell you. For the games sake and those that dont use mods I certainly hope it has.
  • MindofyMindofy Posts: 313 Member
    Now that you mention it, my logic sim has been ignoring the TV and computer to play chess for his fun needs more often than before. Now you have me wondering. 🤣
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    Any sim will research a musical instrument as much as they will troll forums.

idk, at least in my game they haven't been doing anything else but troll teh forums or play games whenever they autonomously used the PC, tbf though troll teh forums seemed to have been overpowered for some time, I've seen other simmers complain about it happening way too often too, so they might have just fixed that.

But I gotta test this more with my other sims, who are not musical.
    Mindofy wrote: »
    Now that you mention it, my logic sim has been ignoring the TV and computer to play chess for his fun needs more often than before. Now you have me wondering. 🤣

lol, did I get into your head? ;)
    but yes, that is what I mean, nothing big but just less focus on TV, PC and stereo and more according to their traits and skills.
    If nothing else it maybe just better balanced.

• WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    Hah, hah, good joke. No.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    Being brutally honest, the autonomy on this game has been absolutely awful for a while now. In fact is the main and only problem with this game i have. Bugs and glitches have nothing on how terrible this autonomy system really is.

I would love to see this autonomy system put into some good order where the autonomy makes sense and tasks that are underway aren't interrupted by the autonomy overriding the previous for a new instruction. Have you seen the mess that is Spa day and watched as sims fight over reflexologists and message therapists? It is without a doubt a feature that seriously needs looking into.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    It has improved. They stated in (I think the September patch notes) that sims would sit to eat again. They didn't mention the rest but I have noticed things sneaking in and the autonomy slowly getting better. My sim kids run outside to greet their parents for example. I'd never seen (or at least didn't notice this) until the last few months.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I’ve noticed a few little things too. For instance my genius sims are now going straight to the chess table when they need fun instead of the tv or computer.
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    I did notice my Sims are still using the computer but they are choosing to do things more in line with their traits, ie active sims researching work out tips; sims with the Mediator traits are mediating the forums rather than trolling teh forums. Maybe the changes in the last patch caused some algorithm changes.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
    edited October 2020
    I'm noticing a few little improvements. Last night when I was playing my sim autonomously started looking at a picture I had placed on her wall. I haven't seen seems doing anything like that for a long time. Also I'm not noticing the standing around idle quite as much either.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Do materialistic sims admire possessions? I know they used to.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    This is really interesting, thanks for saying things that you are seeing in a updated game. I am currently playing in the past because I don't want to update mods all the time. It is however very interesting to read about how the current game is doing.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited October 2020
    I agree that autonomy seems to have gotten a little better. I’ve had non-active sims research workout tips on the computer so it’s not always tied to their traits. And practically every couple I have has been autonomously woohooing when I get them started! (Not every time but it rarely happened before!) I still see room for improvement but right now I’m encouraged.