Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you enjoy clutter?

I go back and forth on this one. On one hand, it does not really add anything and for a long time I did not really use it. There isn't much point without an appearance system (or a more crucial one). On the other, it can be satisfying to see a well decorated room and clutter allows you to do that. Once I started experimenting with it, my favorite builds began to have an excess of it and they do feel lived in with personality.

However, at the end of the day, I think it is fair to say there is way too much of a focus on useless decorative items in 4. I would be more forgiving if well decorated rooms had better positives and bare rooms had more negatives, but as of right now the clutter section of BB feels unnecessarily copious. While clutter can be expressive, it feels tipped too far toward the dollhouse for me.

How about you?

Do you enjoy clutter? 255 votes

Yes; it makes building and live mode better.
41%
crocobauraBluegayleFrn0731tams2578Nh6650winkeljohn78Kita5399GalacticGalYunaalexspoom13dreamergrl84sims2freak737JBAG521AlexaiSikoahGracesam123mcruddBloosmooSageRainWillowhaneul 107 votes
Yes; it makes building better.
10%
auroraael14peterskywalkerMissElphebaFroilsnoepjes1210Emo-usagi2187ChadSims2blur0seInternal_Chaos_hanzoloJemmaTheSimmerpinneduphairwheelochCharlotta11[Deleted User]WallSims4everBecka28dearie_blossomsusannesimsDaWaterRat 27 votes
Yes; it makes live mode better.
5%
Icewolfsimgirl1010Paigeisin5freindlylolElegantblkchina1luthienrisingRaevynSajahiInuMiroLoverNikkihHolidayAmTk86MintyMillie 13 votes
No; it makes building and live mode worse.
5%
AprilDawnCamkatBeardedgeekshygirlFinvolafoxybillyBMSOcatmando830KathykinsgarapoesScobreSimtown15ChazzzySimAlexandriaNate_Whiplash1 15 votes
No; it makes building worse.
0%
Patrice 1 vote
No; it makes live mode worse.
7%
Colorist40Sablesashafruitsbasket101charmed4life4Onversersillyangel0906EnkiSchmidtxMarianxPlainevilTTNsimmerSERVERFRAJasonschick80Jezzabella2313CatzillaKimmerfaeriedustemingusssssKerriganSantiagoWittpieka33 20 votes
I can take it or leave it, but we probably have too much.
14%
EvvieSimmerjulienrob2004Goth583CKSillyPantsrhaliusbabajaynependragon1980jimbbqdrake_mccartyloubyloulouCinebarChanty25Alwe1507spice3bixtersAPottsbenson2006ZenAlchemistSigzy05NiaraTiara 36 votes
I can take it or leave it, but we have a good amount.
14%
Akl500PGoldmoldarPlayerSinger2010TheSpotted_CIsb917shokoroseMeteoraStormcchant86stilljustme2AquariusMomRebeccaThurstonKhrisstyneSerendipity38ChampandGirliekristenleighwhiteAnnLee87Toddly13fiercephoenix91Winifred_WillowWaytoomanyUIDs 36 votes

Comments

• RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I wasn't sure how to answer this. I enjoy it when my Sims create their own clutter with objects that are meaningful to them. I enjoy appreciating Gallery builds that use clutter, except for 50x50 lots with tons of clutter, because those slow my game down. But in general, I prefer downloading builds with just a few well placed items of clutter, like a toothbrush on the sink and a potted plant on the bookcase. I don't enjoy builds that have so much clutter that you can't actually play in them.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Editing builds with too much clutter and MOO is a bit of a nightmare. Live mode can get really laggy on a large cluttered lot. Routing issues start to happen more frequently.

I like the clutter for looks and things like screenshots/sets. It can give a lot of life to the lot and make it looked lived in while also giving a sense of what type of sim might be living there. For regular, every day game play though, I don't use a lot of it and when I use more than my average in a build, I always make sure I play test before I put it into my main save or upload to the gallery.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    I rarely use much clutter - it causes issues usually, especially if using MOO. I especially avoid shelves with stuff on them because with walls down, it often looks like stuff is floating. I prefer sims houses to be functional and I also don't like when they get overwhelmed with happy moodlets due to so much décor. I love a lot of the builds on the gallery, but I stopped using them for the most part because they use MOO and have way too much stuff that causes issues or blocks my view. I am not a great builder, but my houses do function! About the only time I use much clutter is if I want to be sure a coffee table or desk does not have any usable slots left for sims to put all their dishes on!
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    edited October 2020
    I like clutter, it adds a certain atmosphere to a home. I only very rarely build with moo, because it'll lead to too much clutter and therefore lag. But not using clutter at all makes homes look super empty, so I go for the middle ground.
    I'm okay with the amount we have in game, though it can be hard to navigate in the catalogue. But I don't really want the same things in every home, so I like the variety.
    When I actually play in live mode (and not build something for the gallery) I prefer a sparsely decorated starter home with good appliances and the necessary skill objects. I play with walls down, so I only see clutter that is attached to floor based objects anyway.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Yes; it makes building better.
    I love clutter. It gives builds a more lived in atmosphere. I hate it when simmers don‘t playtest their builds before uploading to the gallery though.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,947 Member
    edited October 2020
    I love clutter items they just make my sims houses feel more like homes and I definitely could not build if i had none of that + i still need more especially things like decorative pillows or more wall details would be so awesome to have

but i also think that lot of decorative items should just be gameplay items tbh like the cabinets and boxes and whatever should work as different storage options and every book clutter should be bookcase (cause they just did some of them last time)
    and plants well i would like to have to water them like ts2 it just felt more real and tea set should actually work as teamaker and... you know if its not only decorative in real life im sure they could just make it have function too
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    I'm a bit conflicted on this one.

First, I don't feel we have enough clutter, especially single slot clutter, and I do like to use it in builds. But I also dislike playing in overly cluttered houses were sims can't get to certain things because of it.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I like to see clutter in my sim's houses but it makes my game slower and sometimes it's just in the middle...
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Wasn't sure how to answer this one, really.

When I'm building for upload to the Gallery, I put in very little decoration. I furnish them so a new family can move right in, not like they have lived there many years. When someone buys a new house, its not chock full of stuff, not even furniture or appliances.

If I build for my sims to live there, they have what they need to take care of themselves, and of course objects for skills. The house will be decorated as time passes by, with paintings and other small objects. I use alt-placement instead of MOO, which will let me place things more freely, but still with limitations. Mostly for garden plants and decoration.

I avoid houses on the Gallery that are decked out in clutter, or builders that use MOO. I end up deleting most of the stuff and re-arranging furniture/rooms, and that takes more time than looking for/building a new house.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'm somewhere in between on this. I don't like overly cluttered builds. More recently, I have been incorporating more clutter in my houses but I want to add that for my sims.

I prefer functional items over non-functional ones but I incorporate a small amount of clutter into most houses.

I avoid most gallery downloads now because of the lack of playtesting and excessive clutter. If I'm downloading, I'd rather almost have a shell to fill in. Replacing clutter and personalizing is something I do when I add a downloaded lot which is less often now.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    I never have enough!! It makes builds looks lived in. But I can’t use too much of it because it makes the game laggy :(
    And when I make a build to share on the Gallery I make sure it’s not too cluttered, (and I play test them, unless I forget).
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    In my opinion it gives a build more character, although I use clutter in moderation. I feel that it is important to find the right balance between aesthetics and functionality. The amount and kind of clutter I use also depends on a sim’s personality and the overall narrative. I don’t think there is too much clutter in the catalogue, although I would like an option to expand it to get a better overview of the contents. I don’t like this tedious scrolling.

As some folks mention here, I very much dislike builds that have not been playtested. I may choose to edit the lot, but as a hotheaded sim I tend to lose my temper and will delete the build from my library pronto if it proves to be incredibly messy and buggy. I don’t care how amazing it looks. It needs to work.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I’m indifferent on it I guess. I don’t really use it. I do think there is an excessive amount of clutter, and just decorative stuff in general. I don’t focus on the decorations really I find them to be an obstacle most times.

I have a hard time using anything off the gallery. As nicely made as all those builds are the amount of clutter and decoration makes actually playing in those lots very annoying.
  • Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    I cant stand clutter in real life so I detest it in my game. Especially if someone uses bb.moveobjects excessively and causes routing issues. Most of the time if I download a house or build from the gallery I spend a few minutes deleting everything thats clutter, including outdoor plants.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited October 2020
    I like little details like pots with cooking utensils, dish washing racks, pots, pans and fruit bowls in the kitchens and also pots with tooth brushes, soaps and perfumes in the bathrooms. I think they make sim homes look more realistic. I don't like clutter for the sake of clutter though like random items just stacked up against each other that serve no purpose other than to fill a space and cause routing issues.
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,572 Member
    My absolute favorite house designer is a clutter queen and it does look cool at first but I noticed the more clutter, the more issues with sims being able to complete tasks. It doesn't take long to clean up though and I get a beautiful house out of it.
  • SantiagoWittSantiagoWitt Posts: 40 Member
    Carl’s latest video points out that the more objects and decorations a save builds over time, the greater the simulation lag. That includes crafted objects that sit in the household inventory.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Yes; it makes live mode better.
    I like to make each home fit the personality of the Sims living there. And I have a nice collection of B/B items so I am able to create homes that are unique. It makes the game more immersive for me if I am able to see how each home looks, and that all of them aren't the same. Clutter makes it easier to accomplish this, but I don't use MOO to force things into spaces just so a house looks full. I might use MOO to place certain items close to a wall such as plants, or moving the fridge a bit so there isn't a gap between it and a counter, but I am not a fan of adding a lot of clutter to a house that has toddlers and/or pets because they always seem to find a way to get stuck. I have lost count of the number of times toddlers have stashed dirty plates in places that are almost impossible to find unless I move stuff around, or how many times a pet manages to slip behind plants and not be able to get out on their own. And I like an unobstructed view of the entire house so I can keep an eye on what each family member is up to. As my Sims progress through the different life stages, their decorating styles will change as well, so most of my homes go through many decorating modifications as time goes on.
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,324 Member
    I like having a wide selection of decorative items available. I do not feel that everything in the buy catalogue needs to have gameplay function. In fact, I dislike items that have a moodlet effect on my sims, and I either disable them or don't use them.

I like having items that simply are visual props to the imagination, making the room feel more like a real room, creating diverse atmosphere and settings for my story scenes.

But I rarely use the gallery. I am building almost exclusively for my own personal use. So, obviously, I don't put in so much clutter that I annoy myself. :smile:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    I only use a couple of clutter items in my builds, just enough to place on shelves without using MOO. I watch a few well-known builders' speed builds and love how the homes look, but I would not want my Sims to live in such cluttered spaces.

I do wish there was more variety of clutter to fit Sims' personalities.
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    I don't like boring, sterile homes. Bring on the clutter!
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• NetflixianHereNetflixianHere Posts: 18 Member
    I don't use all of the clutter options, but I use most of them. I guess it makes the Sims look more "real" and not leave so much empty space where nothing will go.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited October 2020
    I feel exactly as you pretty much. Really makes it feel like home. I love the look and feel of it and I'm learning the art of making it myself in build mode. Every home is cluttered now.
    I use to feel I was living in empty square boxes lol

BUT I hate having tons of non functional items all around. What am I going to do with it?!!!! All these little tooth brushes, perfumes, soaps, bowls of fruits or whatever it is, why can't sims pick it up and use it? 😑
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Infact I just remembered that one time I made a beautiful cluttered filled house. I was so happy and pleased with it. Then came live mode and my sim was standing in the middle of the floor and I like hmmmmm so what can I actually USE ?!🤔 nothing ..... he just could stand there 😑
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(