Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can EA (and the Gurus) just stop with teasing and just say what the next pack is?

My patience with everyone involved with this game is at 0 right now. Did you Gurus sign NDA (non-disclosure agreements) as to what you can or cannot say about content without the fear of getting shot or something? Whatever happened to better communication? You really can't give ANY amount of information about the next expansion? All you're doing is setting everyone up for major disappointment. Maybe if you "Gurus" (and I'm using that term very loosely here) would just give at least SOME kind of information, maybe the players would be less angry with you when it comes to released content. Seriously, how about PRETENDING that you guys care about the players for once?

Comments

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    The EP 10 trailer will drop on Tuesday, 20th October. We’ll know more then.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    "SimGuru" is just the term for an employee of EA/Maxis cleared to speak with the public. Cleared for what? To not talk about stuff that marketing hasn't cleared them to talk about. And they're not cleared to talk about any project in development. Not future packs, not packs that have leaked (either accidentally or on purpose) and not EP10 - yet.

Heck, even permission to give hints has to be cleared through Marketing.

So yes, they did sign an NDA.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I would address your complaints to EA, not the gurus. The Gurus have no say in the matter.

I do think that more transparency would help them avoid disappointment and anger from the community, and I dislike the secrecy that EA uses for their games.
  • HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    Why spoil the surprise? :o
    We already know when the trailer will drop. We have waited a month and a half since they told us that the next expansion would be announced soon, I'm sure we can wait one more week. :)
  • quinhobpquinhobp Posts: 220 Member
    The Sims 4 Get Marketing Expansion Pack
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    "SimGuru" is just the term for an employee of EA/Maxis cleared to speak with the public. Cleared for what? To not talk about stuff that marketing hasn't cleared them to talk about. And they're not cleared to talk about any project in development. Not future packs, not packs that have leaked (either accidentally or on purpose) and not EP10 - yet.

As simple as that.
    I’ve been enforced to sign many NDAs by major studios and distribution companies and as an employee you just don’t talk about stuff when you’re not supposed to talk about stuff. It’s like the rules of Fight Club. You don’t talk about Fight Club.
    Some projects I’ve worked on have never been released. Still not allowed to talk about them. Just in case they’re revisited. All I can do is bring that secret to my grave. Because I was an employee who signed an NDA.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    a lot of companies does the same, it's not something that depends on the devs, in fact if they give any info about the game before they're allowed to, they can lose their job. anyways i think it's a bit pointless to give major info beforehand because things can change and then people will get even more upset. that's also one of the reasons why some companies don't announce the development of a new game before it's almost finished.
    regarding teasers, yeah i think they can be pretty lame but it's not devs initiative, it's just a common practice to get people "hyped" about upcoming content.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    This sounds more like a you problem. I don't think it sets anyone up for hopes or disappointments. It's just informing us that there will be an announcement next week. How excited you choose to get about that news is all on you. If your speculation goes through the roof with hopes and unrealistic dreams about a yet unannounced topic for an EP, again, that's on you. *shrugs*

A little speculation can be fun though ;)
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Why is this in the speculation section tho?
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I miss the days when you got a little flyer in the disc case announcing the next upcoming pack. That was awesome!
  • storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    Also yeah that whole company has probably signed NDAs haha
  • RifftraxRulesRifftraxRules Posts: 145 Member

Where's your proof of that?
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Part of me likes how they "announced" it in advance, but they announced it too early. Announcing that it's coming "soon" a month and a half before the first trailer even drops is too dragged out, especially since they said a matter of weeks like it was coming two weeks later when actually it was 7 weeks. I much prefer when they just out of the blue drop a trailer, or they only just announce somethings coming a few days before
  • HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    I miss the days when you got a little flyer in the disc case announcing the next upcoming pack. That was awesome!

Here’s a throwback
    https://imgur.com/gallery/Q44kC
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member

That's how it works in literally any business that sells a product, gaming, tech, etc. If you worked for apple for example and you told the world exactly what they were releasing before it was announced, you'd be fired on the spot and probably even sued because that's classed as leaking confidential information. You'd probably also be blacklisted and would never be able to work in that industry again. Literally no company would allow their employees to just announce to the world what they've been working on without permission from higher ups.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    edited October 2020

I don't have documentation. I just join a SimGuru for crosswords on Twitch every morning (along with about a dozen or so other people. Skim back far enough in the "Sim Gurus on Twitter" thread and you'll see posts about it.) We don't talk about his work too much, but it has come up and that's when he explained the SimGuru "program" such as it is. We may occasionally tease him about trying to get him to slip, but we all respect that he doesn't, and will not, talk about upcoming projects.

And before anyone gets their nose out of joint about it, he does it on his own time, not work time. So he's not shirking anything by doing the crossword on Twitch with us.

That and as Onverser said, it's how creative business works.
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Justine Keaton expansion confirmed.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member

That’s literally how a lot of businesses works especially in creative fields. An example of this are actors and anyone working on a film. They are all under contract to keep a tight lip, etc. etc. I don’t like that EA marketing keeps us in complete darkness either, but it isn’t hard to understand that this is how their business markets their product.
  • KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 441 Member
    I get that marketing is a thing, and I get that it's an effective way to make us all watch the trailer - bit we're stuck inside during a pandemic, we're going to watch it anyway. Does this technique improve sales? I really, seriously doubt it. Does it hurt the loyal fans - yup.

The day they stuck the announcement in the game, they could have given us the title of the pack. That would have been decent of them.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    I want them to leak the icon like they did with star wars.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited October 2020
    "The next pack is gonna be awesome I'm so thrilled, but we cant tell you about it yet!" - Before strangerville was released.

Honestly this secret/redacted thing didnt spike my curiosity for the new packs at all even when sims 4 was still my primary sims game.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    "The next pack is gonna be awesome I'm so thrilled, but we cant tell you about it yet!" - Before strangerville was released.

Honestly this secret/redacted thing didnt spike my curiosity for the new packs at all even when sims 4 was still my primary sims game.

Hope it isn't Story Driven. I think the Next Pack will be a Mountain Vacation with Resorts.
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,181 Member

Because it's Game Development, every game company does it. I have dozens of friends in the industry right now, one of them even at Rockstar Games. Even when everyone and their mother knew he HAD to be working on Red Dead Redemption 2, he still couldn't say he was working on the game until it was announced. In fact, he wasn't even allowed to try and throw people through hoops and go "No no, Red Dead 2 isn't happening." because when you sign those NDA's you're specifically told NOT to talk about anything until it's been formally announced.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    izecson wrote: »

Hope it isn't Story Driven. I think the Next Pack will be a Mountain Vacation with Resorts.

I hope that whatever the next pack is gonna be, the contents have to live up to to its dlc category, Expansion Pack; by expanding the core game, not feature that only playable to one world like Island Living and City Living. the problem in TS4 (in my opinion) that majority of its expansion pack lacks the meaningful features that worth categorizing them as expansion.
    ihavemultiplegamertags