Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Doesn't Maxis Care About the Baby Sims?

Comments

• Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited October 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »
    In TS2 you can take the baby to the mirror and change it's appearance, ...it's a Sim. Hair, eyebrows, etc.

It says a lot about my interest in babies that I didn't know this, despite having played Sims 2 from launch to 2016 and still sporadically.
    I only ever put a fridge right next to the crib, and a kitchencounter with it's own trash compactor (or a chute) that would later hold the smart milk dispenser and then never removed the baby aside from the six-hourly tending to the baby's needs. (Far more intuitve than babies are now: baby goes yellowish green -> feed & cuddle, baby goes deep yellow -> change diaper, cuddle & play, otherwise ignore baby).

The babies changed color in Sims 2 for needs? I'd somehow forgotten that but ugh, that's terrible lol!!!! I've played all the games, but it wasn't until Sims 4 I really started to enjoy it more and get into it a lot... the earlier versions were more of a sporadic game play to me and I wasn't on the forums back then so I don't know nearly as much about them.

Sims 4 babies need a lot added to them but at least they don't change colour haha!

I think when they finally are updated they'll be the best yet, same as toddlers were :)

Sims 2 had the best animations though and I hope they add the one Cinebar mentioned where you can pass the baby from one Sim to another. I don't think they will but I think it'd be really nice if they could.

The baby doesn't change color it's the avatar that changes color. Red means your baby is going to soon be taken away by the social worker. A real Sim who comes to take them away. It's the same thing as avatars in TS4 changing color based upon the mood. TS2 avatar background changes color not the actual face.

oh okay!haha! That is way better then!!!! ty! I was seriously wondering how I could have possibly not remembered that lol! I didn't play as often but... it feels like something I'd have remembered haha!
  • Options
    Personally I don't think it's so much as they don't care about them. I think it's more so they just haven't gotten to it yet 😉
    I truly believe they are in the works and will be amazing like toddlers in this series.

This. I'm a huge baby/toddler player. I love both stages and even delay aging on babies for a long time, but obviously while I love the babies in Sims 4 they could be improved. I really believe they are coming and I think they will be amazing when they do!
    Personally I don't think it's so much as they don't care about them. I think it's more so they just haven't gotten to it yet 😉
    I truly believe they are in the works and will be amazing like toddlers in this series.

This. I'm a huge baby/toddler player. I love both stages and even delay aging on babies for a long time, but obviously while I love the babies in Sims 4 they could be improved. I really believe they are coming and I think they will be amazing when they do!

By six years? They have no plans to update babies.Unless they just now working on them.

I think they started working on them this year/end of last year.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member

By six years? They have no plans to update babies.Unless they just now working on them.

They gave them new onesies with the knitting pack. Maybe they are working on bigger upgrades?
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »

They gave them new onesies with the knitting pack. Maybe they are working on bigger upgrades?

I think so. They've been mentioed in surveys and they said somewhere they hadn't realised how much we wanted them or something.. . so they hadn't done them at that point, I forget the exact wording but it made it sound like they were going to start to me, and then a couple months later come the surveys ad the new onesies etc. it seems like they re paying attention to babies now and I'm expecting at some point they will get a big update, but I don't think it'l come before the end of 2020
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I have no opinion about babies in TS4 but let's get our facts strait. I did not read the entire post because it's not factual.

"It's an object, you can put it in the family inventory and leave it there." This is not true. Babies can not be put into the inventory. At least not anymore. I remember when they could but this is no longer true.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    It's because they goofed.
    Sims 4 wasn't supposed to be Sims 4 back when they were making it in 2013.
    Sims 4 was supposed to be an Online only game called Olympus. But EA scratched that idea, and because the devs were on a deadline they reused the same Online engine for Sims 4, oops.
    So, the devs have been trying for 6 years to fix the screwups caused by EA every since.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited October 2020

In TS2 you can take the baby to the mirror and change it's appearance, ...it's a Sim. Hair, eyebrows, etc.

Sorry, I just have to correct this, as in vanilla is not true, unless you have a mod by Chris Hatch.
    Yes you can change toddlers from mirror and changing table, but not babies without said mod.
    TS2 is my favourite game, always will be, and I still play it a lot.

I do not have babies in my mainhood atm, only toddlers. I loaded Belladonna Cove as Ana Patel is going to have a baby in the start.
    6yofmyA.png
    Ana and her little one. No options at the table (there will when time to change diapers)
    XRVyOYC.png
    And no options to do anything with the baby in mirror. "Change appearance" is to Ana herself, not for the baby.

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I'm all for better babies
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Aside from desiring the ridiculousness of leaving a baby on the floor with the rest of the filth, as we could in TS2, I have no interest in sim babies.
    Why can't we just dump them in the trash, like the little filth monsters they are?
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    SchmoloopSchmoloop Posts: 116 Member
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    I have no opinion about babies in TS4 but let's get our facts strait. I did not read the entire post because it's not factual.

"It's an object, you can put it in the family inventory and leave it there." This is not true. Babies can not be put into the inventory. At least not anymore. I remember when they could but this is no longer true.

I've done that recently, actually. All you have to do is select the bassinet the baby is in, press backspace (this puts the baby in your family inventory), save your game and return to the main menu. When you come back, the baby will be in your family inventory.
    。゚゚・。・゚゚。
    .~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~..~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'
     ゚・。・
  • Options
    I want to take the babies out side
  • Options
    Schmoloop wrote: »
    AnnLee87 wrote: »

I've done that recently, actually. All you have to do is select the bassinet the baby is in, press backspace (this puts the baby in your family inventory), save your game and return to the main menu. When you come back, the baby will be in your family inventory.

@AnnLee87 I've done it recently too by moving. Was this a recent change? I play babies a ton and was able to do it earlier this year but I haven't played much since the pandemic. If it's a new change that's another sign they may be working on babies?
  • Options
    they also made it where if your sim has twins at the hospital both can show up instead of just one
  • Options
    they also made it where if your sim has twins at the hospital both can show up instead of just one

I didn't know it couldn't before haha! I didn't switch to sims 4 until 2017 though so missed the first few years. :)
  • Options
    SchmoloopSchmoloop Posts: 116 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    Aside from desiring the ridiculousness of leaving a baby on the floor with the rest of the filth, as we could in TS2, I have no interest in sim babies.
    Why can't we just dump them in the trash, like the little filth monsters they are?

It is a bit annoying when babies would be on the floor, but I'd rather have babies be free rather than bassinet-bound as long as babies get interactive furniture like baby bouncers and changing tables and feel more like babies.
    。゚゚・。・゚゚。
    .~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~..~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'
     ゚・。・
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,191 Member

This is my main point.They had no plans to update babies they are only doing it now.Because of fan outcry.Without it,they would leave babies as they are.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2020
    It's funny those who care nothing about this life stage post in this thread. I wonder why, is it because I started this thread? Would they do the same in the family play thread that used to be up for so long?

@Movotti, it is sometimes (was) useful to be able to put the baby on the floor for a few minutes when a pregnant mother with three toddlers and two children and no teens in household needs to go pee or passes out from no sleep. :D

If those who don't like this life stage do not want them improved that is fine, but this is still a request by many and I hope Maxis remembers this while they build TS5. Immersion matters to some of us. If every life stage is ignored other than a YA or let's say adult clone, then what are we playing?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options

There are some nice benches on the side of the big park in WC in TS4. They are placed around a long walkway. Some are under some pretty trees. Located on the right side of the base game big park. I used to have my Sim go sit on one of those benches. I liked that side of the park, and thought it would be nice if Sims could take their baby to the park and while they sat there reading a book (if we had one) their little tyke could be there beside them. Maxis could at least make a crib with wheels and let Sims take it outside. :(
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

This is my main point.They had no plans to update babies they are only doing it now.Because of fan outcry.Without it,they would leave babies as they are.
    @Horrorgirl6 For sure, I def agree here :) They are getting really good at listening to us lately!
  • Options
    OmairaOmaira Posts: 666 Member
    @Cinebar, I am totally in agreement with you, I also want babies to be real sims and yes to be able to go out with the family, in the sims 3 (yes, I am comparing!) townies used to go to the park sometimes with the baby, I have seen them even if not often.
    In this game "part 4" (game?) families don't interact at all except your own sim family, they walk past each other without even acknowledging one another. It's so fake, it's nothing remotely similar to a real world, life etc.
    Maybe they all had arguments before leaving home for their forced walk around and are "not talking!" >:)

For those of you still hoping, cease and desist, no cars, no babies improved and no many other things we want just whatever EAXIS thinks we should have. We are being punished you know, we complain too much, we are being naughty children. We have no manners, we should be grateful and thank them for whatever they give us, just buy it and be happy :# and good o:)
    And for those of you who don't want better babies, I will tell you something, why no just do away with woohooing? eh? it is totally unnecessary really. Just have a game with one adult sim and that's it. Simplicity itself. Big benefit added, the game will run smoothly in an old toaster.

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    simvasion wrote: »
    Sometimes you have to look at something objectively and think... does that really improve my gameplay or is it just something that sounds cool in concept but in reality isn't?

I think they'd add stuff to babies if there was an actual gameplay benefit - like they added the ability to give them knitted onesies recently because it ties in with knitting gameplay. But fluff stuff, even if it was in a previous game like washing babies in sinks or handing them to other sims... doesn't add much value to gameplay at all if you really look at it from an outside in view.

Bathing babies in sinks sounds cool, but if changing a diaper maxes their hygiene fully, then why bother? What would passing around babies to people do other than waste time, or lose your baby (like in TS2 there was a bug where the nanny would carry the baby off lot after they were dismissed and "kidnap" your baby).

I support them adding more baby gameplay if they can actually think of something that would be fun, have value and make the game better. Like first-person baby mode where you must learn skills and actually benefit the baby, or an Eco-Lifestyle or Woodworking crafting set for new baby bassinets or bassinet upgrading, actual stuff like that.

Our Sims used to be able to build relationships with the baby. One of the funniest things I enjoyed was to have a Sim feed baby and then start playing with the little guy too soon after they finished the bottle. Baby would spit-up all over the Sim holding them. These may be small moments to you, but they are hilarious when they happen. Plus, the Sim would then need to seek a shower themselves, so being able to pass the baby to another Sim was a useful interaction.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options

There are some nice benches on the side of the big park in WC in TS4. They are placed around a long walkway. Some are under some pretty trees. Located on the right side of the base game big park. I used to have my Sim go sit on one of those benches. I liked that side of the park, and thought it would be nice if Sims could take their baby to the park and while they sat there reading a book (if we had one) their little tyke could be there beside them. Maxis could at least make a crib with wheels and let Sims take it outside. :(
    agree with you 100% also its not you mov says that in every baby thread
  • Options
    AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    edited October 2020
    I am not partial to babies, neither in game ( I much prefer toddlers) nor in real life (I am terrified of kids too young to tell me what they need), but I wish babies in Sims 4 were more like those in Sims 3, where they were at least somewhat interesting. At the moment, they are an ugly piece of furniture.
  • Options
    OliwkaWidmoOliwkaWidmo Posts: 45 Member
    Even without being able to get a baby out of the crib for good, I feel like we already have way more options to interact with babies than we ever had in any of the previous games. Personally, for me being able to take the baby out of the crib in Sims2 and 3 just meant every once in a while my sims would autonomously put a baby on the floor and leave it there, for some reason, but maybe other people have less chaotic households than I do...
  • Options
    Even without being able to get a baby out of the crib for good, I feel like we already have way more options to interact with babies than we ever had in any of the previous games. Personally, for me being able to take the baby out of the crib in Sims2 and 3 just meant every once in a while my sims would autonomously put a baby on the floor and leave it there, for some reason, but maybe other people have less chaotic households than I do...

I can't remember but could you list those options and interactions for TS4 babies. I don't recall very many at all.