Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Safe NAP's

I've been playing around (and reading about the experiences of others) with the Action Plans, and figured I'd make a list of the "safe" ones, that didn't cause any unwanted behaviour in my sims or those wandering around town. I didn't want my stuff to get stolen, see people with paper bags or have Geoffrey Landgraab walk over to my sim and start flirting. He's a nice guy, but really...None of my sims find him anywhere near attractive (to my knowledge anyway).

So, after I turned off NPC voting, to not cause more chaos, I'm slowly going through all 'hoods and add 4 of any of these:

Self-sufficiency - Fishing, Gardening, Handiness

Eco-Friendly Appliances - Have at least 1 plumbing object with both Water Recycler and H2O Siphoner. I usually make it a sink, since my sims hardly use those anyway and the constant refilling of fuel is tedious at best

Green Gardening - 1 Bee Box or 1 Bug Hotel (you can leave it empty if you want)

Upcycling Initiative - Have 1 Recycler or 1 Fabricator

Clean Energy Production - Have Solar panels or wind turbines, and/or that new EL solar roof texture

Power/water concervation - 1 day without power/water, energy-efficient/water-saving upgrades, dew collectors

I have not had any trouble with any of these, and passing the weekly inspection is a walk in the park. Must mention, practically ALL my sims work on handiness so upgrading is never a problem. Which I found to be a really good thing, because those wind turbines on the ground break every day! I could put some on the roof, but I find them to be more unsightly, so I avoid those (I prefer solar panels on the roof). If you don't mind them, the roof turbines can't be upgraded but will also not break. I use normal upgrading parts for the dew collectors and turbines (and any other upgrade), since the eco-parts take too long to make, and you nead boatloads of them.

Comments

• Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    The October patch fixed all the issues with NAPS. They don't get stuck anymore and sims only do them in their correct neighbourhoods. They've also toned down the frequency of them (like how often they pull out clay or bake a cake). My game in particular does seem like it's been fixed but I suppose some people it still might not be?

I still don't trust "Sharing is Caring" though, not until they tweak it so that it doesn't apply to community lots or at the very least make it so that they can't steal the required items to keep the community lot functional.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    The October patch fixed all the issues with NAPS. They don't get stuck anymore and sims only do them in their correct neighbourhoods. They've also toned down the frequency of them (like how often they pull out clay or bake a cake). My game in particular does seem like it's been fixed but I suppose some people it still might not be?

I still don't trust "Sharing is Caring" though, not until they tweak it so that it doesn't apply to community lots or at the very least make it so that they can't steal the required items to keep the community lot functional.

Is there a mod to fix this? I just bought Eco and I'm scared when this NAP gets voted from all the complaints I've seen.
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    sam123 wrote: »

Is there a mod to fix this? I just bought Eco and I'm scared when this NAP gets voted from all the complaints I've seen.

I use Bienchen's No autonomous swiping, and even though it hasn't been updated in a while, I haven't seen any issues with it. I think I've also seen a no sharing is caring mod, but can't remember where.

I just don't want to see any of the NAP behaviour at all in any neighbourhood, correct or not. I delete future cubes and clay on sight, and never ever buy them for my sims. They are a waste of time. Of course, in my opinon. My sims are heavily into most creative stuff, gardening, fishing etc anyway, I don't need NAP's to tell them where or when to do their hobbies. And all they get is more influence they don't need, since I testincheat+click mailboxes to force enact NAP's anyway. I just found the listed NAP's least intrusive of the lot.
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    @Kathykins awesome! I’ve been holding off on getting EL because of the bugs but if these are the safe ones it makes me relived. Might get it now that it’s on sale. Thanks!
  • Options
    They are the "safest" ones I've found, anyway. I've seen no autonomous behaviour from any of them, except visitors trying to fix my stuff when it breaks. And that's not a problem, as long as my sims handiness is maxed....if not, I'll quickly reset the sim and repair the object myself (or my sim will....).

Oh and I forgot: in Evergreen harbor, you have the Green/Modern Initiatives. I've not seen any issues with autonomous behaviour with those, either. I just don't have many sims living there, so I forget they excist.
  • Options
    @Kathykins awesome! I’ve been holding off on getting EL because of the bugs but if these are the safe ones it makes me relived. Might get it now that it’s on sale. Thanks!

When you do get EL, before you open any save, make sure you go into the options menu and under the "eco lifestyle" turn off NAP voting by NPC's. This way you have full control over what gets voted in or out of neighbourhoods. It's much easier than having to log a household you don't want to play just to cheat repeal a NAP you don't want later.

• Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member

When you do get EL, before you open any save, make sure you go into the options menu and under the "eco lifestyle" turn off NAP voting by NPC's. This way you have full control over what gets voted in or out of neighbourhoods. It's much easier than having to log a household you don't want to play just to cheat repeal a NAP you don't want later.

Thanks for tip! Only had time to download but will check it out tomorrow
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,670 Member
    Thanks for this thread. I have no problem with the NAPs, but I need to control which are active, and I wish this system was designed differently.

I opted out on NPCs voting.

I checked active plans in every hood, and removed "Sharing id caring". I don't like the fighting one either, but I kept it in one harbor hood, imagine the crime rate is higher there ;)

Every 5th year rotation (which takes me minimum 5 RL months) I remove one NAP per hood and activate the NPC voting for one voting only.

I also see the NAPs as reflecting 3 political parties, meaning winning NAPs give power to certain groups of my game. It's a rather tedious system I've got, probably not matching well with most games out there, but just wantd to say that the NAPs can be used for something more than voting and watching NPCs performing their forced actions in the street ;)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    @Simmerville I have read some of your posts, and have to say I wouldn't have the patience, stamina or energy to keep up with such a system. I get overwhealmed just reading about it! :D Me, I'm just happy if the game is as hassle-free as I can get it. That's probably why I disable all the annoyances and features that most players don't mind and are not bothered by. I'm not min/maxing, but still would like things to be efficient and for sims to do what they are supposed to. Having a sim paint for the aspiration when in an inspired mood, then break it off to go play basketball, just because Rock your body is active, is not efficient to me. They will get plenty of time to work out, just not when they're doing something else.

The NAP's had been active for quite a while before I disabled voting for NPC's. I've only changed the NAP's in the 'hoods I'm most likely to visit, where I have sims I'm going to play anyway, which aren't that many to begin with in my current save. I'ts a pretty new one, testing out a template of sorts. My before-EL saves will hopefully not have problems, since voting will be disabled from the start.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited October 2020
    Remember that "uncontrollable voting" only happens in these conditions:

1. There must be less than 4 NAPs active. Only you can repel one so if all four slots are filled the NAP will never change regardless of voting Sims.
    2. "True" NPC Sims (Townies and premades) only vote in Evergreen Harbor, and only if they live there.
    3. Outside Evergreen Harbor only Sim households with green markers (aka your Sims) can vote.

Meaning: you only need to turn off NPC voting if you play rotational game play and you have households living in more than one neighborhood.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options

1. There must be less than 4 NAPs active. Only you can repel one so if all four slots are filled the NAP will never change regardless of voting Sims.
    2. "True" NPC Sims (Townies and premades) only vote in Evergreen Harbor, and only if they live there.
    3. Outside Evergreen Harbor only Sim households with green markers (aka your Sims) can vote.

Meaning: you only need to turn off NPC voting if you play rotational game play and you have households living in more than one neighborhood.

Has that been changed?
    When EL first game out, I'd played just one household to test everything out. About two game weeks. By then NAPs had been voted into EVERY neighbourhood that had households in them, whether I'd played them before or not. Every single one in the game (I kind of giggled that every hood in San Myshuno voted in sharing is caring). I had to manually log into homes (and ones that I hadn't played) to cheat repeal NAPS. That would suggest, as long as any sims live there, even if you don't play them or ever had, that they do indeed vote.
  • Options

Has that been changed?
    When EL first game out, I'd played just one household to test everything out. About two game weeks. By then NAPs had been voted into EVERY neighbourhood that had households in them, whether I'd played them before or not. Every single one in the game (I kind of giggled that every hood in San Myshuno voted in sharing is caring). I had to manually log into homes (and ones that I hadn't played) to cheat repeal NAPS. That would suggest, as long as any sims live there, even if you don't play them or ever had, that they do indeed vote.

Clarification: All Sims in your "my Sims" tab can vote, even those "not in world". They don'thave to be played, just tagged with a heart.
  • Options

Has that been changed?

Clarification: All Sims in your "my Sims" tab can vote, even those "not in world". They don'thave to be played, just tagged with a heart.

Thank you!
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Has that been changed?

Thank you!

If they live in a specific neighborhood they will only vote there.

edit: Also, to give the illusion of voting in neighborhoods your played Sim is the only voter in NAPs will have a number of votes randomly generated (between 1 an 5) on all currently voted on. So even if you know you're the only voter, if you don't pay attention a random NAP will go thru, so check your mailbox and be sure a NAP you can tolerate will win.

And again if 4 NAPs are already in place you're safe because only your active Sim can repel them.