This site has entered read-only mode as of July 18th. The new Forums.EA.com are now live.

How do skins look now?

Ok, so I've updated my game but my computer is being stupid and won't let me in. How do the updated skins look? Visibly better or the same/worse?
Story_Banner.png
Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)

Comments

• Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    When in doubt go to YouTube. I'm not a shallow person so I could care less about the color of there skin. They need to fix the bugs first.
  • Options
    caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    To me they look exactly the same... There's still blotchiness around the mouth/nose :neutral:
    he/him
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 620 Member
    They're still blotchy, and it's still very obvious on the deeper skin tones.

To me, there doesn't appear to be any improvement.

fAVTN4o.png
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited October 2020
    Catzilla wrote: »
    What are guys seeing? I see highlights and shadows that give depth and shape to the face but not blotchiness. Your sim in the picture is beautiful.

For me, you have to zoom in a bit to see. There’s some weird spots, looks like the artists messed up in photoshop, or didn’t mix the pigment properly. It almost looks like they forgot to blend.
  • Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    When in doubt go to YouTube. I'm not a shallow person so I could care less about the color of there skin. They need to fix the bugs first.

Maybe not for you. But for the black community, they care especially after being ignored for six years.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,918 Member
    edited October 2020
    I sill find them ashy and a bit blotchy, though they look a bit better, BUT I'm playing on a Mac, so I don't dare use high settings. It's on Low/Medium settings I think. (My sim here is wearing one of the updated hairs).

FmAPIik.png
    Mtlnznw.png
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,105 Member
    I fired up the game to test some CC for my niece and gave CAS a go. Is it me, or did some of the palest skin tones also get a fix? They look less corpse-like.
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,791 Member
    I can barely see a difference.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    edited October 2020
    I'm still updating. I think the problem is that they didn't give us a colour wheel and slider early on. Now they are trying to fix problems that have existed for years and they realize it looks bad if they don't come up with something quickly. This is the result of trying to do a quick fix rather than spending the last 6 years working on a colour wheel and slider for our sims. Taking time to test it out.

As for bugs, and issues with the game they need to be fixed too.

However, when a game claims diversity and lacks it it makes the company look very bad. Honestly I can't wait for Paralives to come out and start playing that instead.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Maybe they should have posted some before and after pictures LOL
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,694 Member
    The blotchiness can be better seen when the photo has been highly edited.
    120837755_1553059724898009_7514280193905708633_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=XKBio30qn9wAX-kQjFS&_nc_ht=scontent.fyto1-2.fna&oh=cb3cbc2d233494a3e1200c3be982f4ca&oe=5FA3B894
  • Options
    charmed4life4charmed4life4 Posts: 178 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    The blotchiness can be better seen when the photo has been highly edited.
    120837755_1553059724898009_7514280193905708633_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=XKBio30qn9wAX-kQjFS&_nc_ht=scontent.fyto1-2.fna&oh=cb3cbc2d233494a3e1200c3be982f4ca&oe=5FA3B894

This is the first time I've see the blotchiness people have been talking about. I stopped playing Sims 4 but have been keeping up with the news to see if it's worth coming back to.
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,539 Member
    I am also one of the people who have never seen the blotchiness everyone is talking about. I've only seen it in photos that have been edited in some way to make it easier to see. Even then I barely see it. The one above is the first time I didn't have to squint to see it. The new skin tones look no different to me.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,913 Member
    edited October 2020
    I am also one of the people who have never seen the blotchiness everyone is talking about. I've only seen it in photos that have been edited in some way to make it easier to see. Even then I barely see it. The one above is the first time I didn't have to squint to see it. The new skin tones look no different to me.

The blotchiness happens when you have 'uncompressed skin textures' on and it only happens on maybe like one or two dark colored skins (from like the original base game swatch before they started adding more).
    I don't know about those edited photos but in my game, it was really obvious especially if the sim is standing near a bright light. You can see like the 'green artifacts' on the skin. It's like you took a jpeg image and cropped in a small part using MS paint, and then expanding that image again, and you will get those kinda green pixelated artifacts. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Still Fly by The Devil Wears Prada
    Y2D8eAf.gif
  • Options
    SimerallaSimeralla Posts: 1,001 Member
    I dont see much or none of a difference. So much so, I thought they forgot to add the skin tone update. I see and been trying out the Hispanic Heritage stuff, that's cool. Idk did someone have a big oops!? :D
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I don't see a difference. However, I didn't see any of this blotchy before either. I saw it occasionally when zoomed right in but it was hardly noticeable. I did notice the ashiness though and that seems to be slightly better.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,791 Member
    edited October 2020

Here is a picture I took yesterday, no edits (except the red square).
    asGnMTx.png
    I have always used a skin default so I have never seen this, but now when I look at this, I'm not sure what they did improve with the skin details?

Grimcookies made a new video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGb2yEwqEO4&feature=youtu.be
    Post edited by logion on
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Does anyone have a side by side of how the same tone looked on full graphics on a sim before and after the patch? I can see there's still issues but can't really judge what's changed
  • Options
    inmyeyeinmyeye Posts: 398 Member
    Forgive me in advance but I see just another half-baked EA update. Right about the time I get my game running about 90% there (which is about as good as it's ever going to get it seems), EA brings in another "update." I haven't used EA skins in forever so I did not notice this issue that is being discussed. I have 2 games right now with black sims and I haven't noticed any issue. Like I say, I'm not using EA skin anyway.

I have to say, I would be much happier if some of the existing bugs were fixed first. I'm playing only base game, get together and get famous but that infernal ECO has done nothing but cause me problems. I don't own the pack and don't want to but it has affected my game despite that. How about the "disappearing plant" bug. That has been going on since June at least. When my sim calls another sim to chat I get the message "bad" reception. the other Sim can't hear you. Setting the lot trait fast internet seems to remedy that. The list goes on and on. Like Grimcookies said..."who is EA listening to?"
    “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).”
    ― Mark Twain
  • Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    Actually I don't really care I just hope it didn't mess the game up.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    So I guess compression wasn’t the culprit after all, but they don’t really care. They got their woke points with the people online who didn’t notice this issue in the first place now talking about how much better they look. They uncompressed the textures; any defects on the textures aren’t going to be fixed like that they need to be redrawn.

I also think a contributor to this is the art style. Say what you will about it, they keep trying to add details to an art style that was chosen to get rid of those same details. You can’t always have it both ways.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    What are you guys seeing? I see highlights and shadows that give depth and shape to the face but no blotchiness. Your sim in the picture is beautiful.

(Edited for failure to proofread before posting.)

This is all I've ever seen which is why I could never understand the complaints.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    What are you guys seeing? I see highlights and shadows that give depth and shape to the face but no blotchiness. Your sim in the picture is beautiful.

(Edited for failure to proofread before posting.)

This is all I've ever seen which is why I could never understand the complaints.

Same, I can only ever see very minor blotchiness when someone posts a massive picture really zoomed in and points it out. I've never onced noticed it on a sim in game or in CAS without zooming right in and squinting to see it. (I have max graphics, uncompressed enabled) Plus, from what I understand it only affects two tones and both of those are horrible anyway so I don't use them. Suppose it could be more obvious for those on 4k 20inch+ screens and console though?