Happy Hispanic Heritage Month!
To celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month in the U.S., we’ve collaborated with SOMOS EA to create in-game food, CAS, and build items that are inspired by diverse Hispanic cultures. See the full list below, including a special recipe you can make yourself!
SOMOS EA is one of our employee resource groups, centered on advancing EA's diversity and inclusion by ensuring a culture where Hispanic/Latinx employees can thrive. They also empower our local communities with access and awareness of opportunities in gaming. We wouldn’t have been able to pull this off without their help! The SOMOS team brainstormed a lot of ideas they felt would represent them, their families, and their various cultures. Now, many of their ideas are in the game! With the base game update that went live today, we’ve added new Create-A-Sim items, recipes, and Build/Buy items in the catalog. (One of those CAS items is a top designed by tattoo artist Mister Cartoon, who is also collaborating with other EA titles like FIFA 21 and Madden NFL 21!)
Here’s a full list of Hispanic Heritage items you’ll find in this update:
- New Object: Chiminea (grill)
- New Grilled Foods: Asado, Grilled Plantains, Churrasco, Pinchos, Choripan, Chimis, Chimichurri Skewers, Elotes, Pollo a la Brasa
- Outdoor Decor: Pottery, Arbor, painting for backyard, kitchen, or restaurant use
- Painted Dining Set: Colorful Table and Chairs
- Among the new recipes is one for chimis, a Dominican burger served on pan de agua with ground beef or pork, cabbage, and mayuketchu (a mayonnaise and ketchup mix). Some people add tomatoes or onions, but never cheese. In Dominican-dense areas in the US, chimis are usually sold at chimi trucks, and in the Dominican Republic, chimi stands are found on almost every corner.
For SOMOS EA member Joann Pollard and her sister, Doctor Jasmin Garcia, chimis hold a special place in their hearts. “Chimis remind me of nightlife in the Dominican Republic,” says Joann. “We have such a vibrant, festive culture where music and food are intertwined. After a night out dancing, you stop at a chimi truck to get one before heading home. Or if you’re taking an evening stroll in El Malecón with your family, you can grab chimis as you walk near the water. Chimis keep me connected to the experiences I’ve had in Dominincan Republic. They remind me of family and friends and good times. They make me nostalgic, but in a good way.”
Jasmin also associates chimis with happiness. “Every time I’ve had one, I’d just had a tremendous amount of fun, and the chimi is the best conclusion to a great time. I’ve always enjoyed a chimi with friends and family, and eating one is always a different, great experience that holds such fond memories.”
Now, your Sims can start making their own memories of late-night chimi goodness, and you can too!INGREDIENT LIST
- MAIN INGREDIENTS FOR JOANN’S FAMILY’S CHIMIS:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup ketchup
- Optional additions: oregano, soy sauce,Worcestershire sauce, orange juice, sugar, vinegar.
- Pickled cabbage
- 1 head of cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. vinegar
- Sofrito seasoning
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- Minced garlic, to taste
- Chopped cilantro, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Ground beef, pork, or pernil (roasted pork shoulder)
- Pan de agua or sandwich rolls
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced red onions
To make chimis at home:Prepare the Cabbage
: Rinse cabbage thoroughly and slice into thin strips. Place in water and vinegar, and set to the side to marinate for 5 minutes. Once marinated, transfer cabbage to a pan with either Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce and cook until cabbage is soft and nearly translucent. Set aside.Prepare the Mayuketchu:
Mix mayonnaise and ketchup together. Other optional ingredients include oregano, Worcestershire sauce, sour orange juice, sugar, and vinegar. Set aside.Prepare Jasmin’s Chimi Seasoning:
Add diced red onion to pan and cook until semi-translucent. Add green peppers and garlic to the onions—cook until softened. Season with pepper, salt, and generous amounts of cilantro to make sofrito.Prepare the Meat:
Once the sofrito is cooked, knead into the meat to ensure it is evenly distributed. Then mold meat into a thin, rounded rectangle and place on a hot pan or grill. As the meat is cooking, add soy sauce to each side.
Serve on pan de agua or similar bread (like Cuban bread or a French baguette) with toppings of choice. Enjoy in The Sims 4 and in real life!