Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unloved: A Sims Story by orenjiAi

Comments

• orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    Yep still alive.

Last weekend I was supposed to present to an online class. So I spent all my time from my last update 'til then preparing. Only, the glass got cancelled due to an emergency and I had to record my presentation and upload it for everybody to watch. It was such an experience.

Anyway, I owe you guys big time. And I just wanted you to know that I will be updating twice this week to make up for my absence. Unloved 8 is a two-act episode. The first act will be uploaded tomorrow. And the second one on the weekend. So be sure to check the page then.

Also here's the cast in school uniforms! Now they look like they're inspired by anime/otoge.
    At7PZLM.png
    P.S. Robert is a teacher and Edward goes to another private school.

Thanks so much! :blush:
  • ShaymanthaShaymantha Posts: 769 Member
    Cool pic they really are looking the part now! ;) Btw have you changed the other female's hairstyle?!
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,575 Member
    The picture of the characters in their school uniforms looks great! :) I will look forward to reading the updates!
    The most important thing though is you and your health <3 So if you are feeling tired from your work or are busy with work, please don’t make yourself tired, sick or stressed trying to do the update.
  • ShaymanthaShaymantha Posts: 769 Member
    Awww well said @rosemow <3 Hope you keeping well too?
    Unloved 8
    Act I

Robert heard the whirring of power tools and crunching of gravel just below his attic bedroom window. A quick check noted that none of the alarms have been triggered, and he ruled out the possibility of a break in. He decided to search for the source of the noise and looked out of the open window. He leaned forward, squinting through the early morning fog for whoever caused such a ruckus. He didn’t have to search long, as its source held up a flashlight and waved enthusiastically at him.
    ZMM3n76.png
    It was Edward.
    Sighing, he pulled on his robe and headed for the gardens, but not before writing Elia a note. She was probably still sleeping, but he knew she’ll read his message and be careful not to be seen by Edward. Robert was certain he had not learned about her yet. It came off as somewhat a surprise to him. Capeside was a tight-knit community. And when rumors float, they spread like ink stains on fine white linen. But while the town gossip did mention that Robert was seen around town with somebody on one of his grocery runs, it was assumed that she was his girlfriend (Noice one, Robert!) as she was wearing his clothes. A tad too young for him but nothing else. To them she was not the heiress of the late Mistress Adelaida. She was just some girl he had been seeing. He did not particularly like those rumors but it kept the spotlight off her.
    He had originally planned to keep about her a secret and train her, at least until she was of age to run the Thebe fortune on her own. Whatever was written on Adelaida’s last will, Robert was sure the rightful heir would eventually still end up as Antoine’s offspring, which had been Elia. This was the best way he thought how he could protect her from the unscrupulous freaks of high society that would undoubtedly take advantage of a teenage rich girl’s naivety. However, he underestimated Edward’s flamboyance and this party that he was gonna throw completely threw him off his plan’s track.
    “Top of the morning to you, Bob!” Edward greeted energetically.
    “Young master, what brings you here so early?” Robert asked. A few tables had already been setup.
    “Well, the lawyers and Commission will be coming at ten. But the luncheon will start immediately after the reading. I just wanted to make sure everything looks perfect for my debut, so I came to oversee things myself,” he beamed.
    gQQR5eQ.png
    They noticed a worker hoist himself to put up decorations. Even through the fog, Robert could see the banner with Edward's name in gold fat letters against a green background.
    “Hey what do you think you’re doing? I said don’t put up that green banner,” Edward called out as he walked closer to the worker. He shone a flashlight on the worker's face. Robert’s jaw dropped as he recognized him to be Adriel. "Aha! It's you again! Seriously? Who put the color blind guy in charge of decors?" Edward complained to himself before handing over the right one. A simple red banner with only the word Thank you! sewn onto it.
    Adriel would be most likely to greet him and blab non-stop about Elia, exposing her to Edward, and foiling their plans. Robert stepped closer to one of the many box planters around the grounds. Luckily, the fog was thick enough to conceal his silhouette with the rest of the topiaries. If he could somehow avoid talking to him, the crisis could be averted. It worked as Adriel resumed hanging the banner without so much a word.
    "Would the young master want to have breakfast? I can prepare eggs benedict..." Robert exhaled as soon as Edward walked back to their original spot.

bWAoHb2.png
    With half an hour to spare, the preparations for the luncheon were finally completed. But it turned out looking a lot simpler than Robert expected; it now seemed more like a backyard barbecue and less of an al fresco formal for the Commission. He thought Edward must have toned down the celebration to make it seem he grieved the mistress’s loss.
    He turned his attention to the teenage girl in the room with him. While Edward was busy with the setup, Robert snuck Elia into the chamber a few doors down from the Grand Salon where the reading will take place. They had both agreed to present herself as Mistress Adelaida's legitimate granddaughter to the lawyers and the Commission on that very same day. She looked uneasy though. Robert could only imagine her nervous confusion. Two weeks ago, she was just a normal orphan girl. But now she found herself thrust into the politicking world of the vieux riches when all she wanted was a chance to be adopted.
    QjVCrp5.png
    That was his assumption until he noticed her blushing furiously and fidgeting. Constantly pulling at the hem of her dress. Robert looked away. It had been a week since the bathroom incident but they had never really talked about it. She said she was thankful that he saved her from drowning but remained silent about everything else. She never voiced out her feelings—whether anger or embarrassment—from him walking into her in the bath. Instead, Elia kept to herself much more than before and was definitely avoiding talking to him except for the occasional ask for help.
    But now she was locked in a room. With him. Alone. In a skimpy funeral dress. And she was not okay with it.
    Robert decided to clear up the awkward air himself. He walked to the dresser, produced tights, and held them out to Elia. She looked at the stockings then back at him with round anxious eyes.
    "My lady, I... on that night," he started but stuttered.
    "On that night, I did not see anything," great, now he was blushing too. "I got worried when you didn't answer, so I came in. And saw you sinking into the tub. But I was careful not to look. Believe me, Elia. I will never lay even so much as a finger on you. I promise. So please, please, don't feel weird around me anymore?"
    5TPwzpt.png
    Elia hung her head low. She was silent with her hands balled into tight fists bunching at her clothes. Robert felt a familiar dread. Maybe she still wasn't okay and maybe this wasn't the time to discuss this. He had yet again stuck his nose where it doesn't belong.
    "Please wear this for more coverage," he set the underwear by the sofa beside her and headed for the door. He stopped when he noticed her pulling at the small of his sleeve. She faced him and started to tear up.
    "I'm sorry. I was being self conscious... and stupid. I knew you wouldn't... That you're not that kind of person... And yet... even when I knew... even when you've been so good to me... I treated you like this. I should have trusted you more. I'm really sorry."
    Robert smiled gently. He greatly resisted the urge to hug her out of fear of contradicting himself.
    "There, there... You didn't do anything wrong. Trust is a priceless treasure. It's not something you give just because someone's been a wee bit nice to you, my lady.
    "Especially after today, you'll find a lot of people will start trying to win yours. But not all of them deserve it," he crouched down to meet her eyes and wiped away her tears.
    "But I am honored and happy to know that you do trust me. And I will do everything I can to not waste such a valuable thing."
    Robert's two-way radio crackled and his face went serious instantly. "Lima 3 to Charlie Tango, now entering Capeside. ETA in 5. Over." it said.
    He slowly brought the radio to his lips while he picked up and handed Elia the pantyhose with his other hand. He mouthed "put it on" to her. She nodded obediently. And he watched her glide the other side of the room divider before finally pushing the talk button.
    "Charlie Tango to Lima 3. Roger that. Over and out."
    It is a very special update! :) I think that Robert is a very caring man! He is turning out to be very kind and thoughtful. It is very nice reading more about what he is thinking. I hope that the luncheon and meeting with the Commission goes well! It is a very big day that Elia has ahead of her!
    You have written the update is a very nice way :)
    Thanks @rosemow for reading and worrying about my health :blush: Don’t worry, I’m a lot less busy now than I was a few weeks ago so I finally have time to draft again. @Shaymantha too. Thanks for always looking out for me. :wink:
    edited November 2020
    Unloved 8
    Act II

If Elia thought the Robert she knew was proper before, he paled in comparison with the butler standing in front of her. She refused to believe he was the same person. It was as if hearing the raspy voice at the other end of the radio activated a switch within him. And in an instant, he dropped all the warmth, friendliness, and cuteness he showed her a while ago—Wait! Did she just think he was cute? Instead, he stood up straight, told her to wait, and slowly retreated into the shadows. Elia was certain she did not hear the doors opening and closing and imagined him passing through solid wood like a ghost.

By the time Elia managed to put on her tights, two black cars and a limousine rolled into the cour d'honneur of the chateau. Each vehicle bore two flags on their hoods. One for Simnation and another that had the words Commission Historique Nationale on it.
    ZJpTq3D.png

For a quick second, there was only silence. Like the ominous calm before a storm. Time almost stood still. No one else seemed to be breathing. And even the tree branches outside stopped swaying in the wind. For the great number of people outside, it was eerily quiet. The only sounds came from the faint buzzing of the yellow electric bulbs and the tick-tocking of the mantel clock. Robert broke the suspense as he dipped his upper body in a stiff short bow. The helpers that had been hired for the luncheon soon followed. Suddenly, all at once, the vehicle doors swung open and a dozen men in black suits scrambled to assemble from the driveway to the stone steps leading up to the entrance.

"Hey, Elia! Watchu doing'?" a voice whispered from over her shoulder.

Elia resisted the urge to scream. She had been peeking through a crack in the doorway to see the foyer. She turned around and saw Adriel. He was on his toes, trying hard to also catch a glimpse of the commotion. She quietly shut the door behind her and dragged him back to the room Robert left her in.
    ZWcPMgu.png

"I should be the one asking! What are you doing here?!" she barked at him. She was upset. If Adriel hadn't shown up she would have seen more. She would have known who to expect and could've braced herself mentally.
    "I put up the decorations! I think I did quite well dont'ya think? Also, Elia, how could you? Throwing a party without inviting me?" he pouted.
    "This isn't my par—Wait! You climbed in through the window!?" she asked exasperatedly.
    "Hey..." Adriel asked thoughtfully, completely ignoring her question.
    "Are you alright? You’re starting to sound exactly like Robert.” He made an impression, “Keep your feet off the 15th century footstool, Adriel!’”
    Elia chortled.
    “Nah! He’d be like ‘footstools aren’t from the15th century, Adriel!” Elia chimed in, speaking matter-of-factly. “And this fine china is hand painted... from China!”
    “Ahh! Truly magnificent!” Adriel said with his pinky finger extended.
    “The flower prints are a metaphor...”
    “As expected from the finest artisans!”

Both teens howled with laughter. Adriel continued with his impressions. And Elia had to hold on to the table for support to keep herself from doubling over. She was thankful Adriel snuck in through the window. This was exactly what she needed. She didn't know how, but he always showed up at the right time.
    6QwYMag.png

"Thanks, Adriel..." Elia said, composing herself.
    "I was just worried. This feels awfully like being back in the orphanage. Out there is a lot of people. Big people. People that don't know me like you or Robert. People that I know would just... judge me. I guess I'm scared of feeling rejected...again.

"Well yeah," Adriel said casually, "but we're—you're not at the orphanage anymore. It's not like those people can still do anything that'll still change your life.
    "You're free now. Right here. If those snoots out there decide for some reason that they don't want you around. Well, too bad! They're just gonna have to deal with it. You won't be losing anything this time from rejection. It's their loss. 'Coz then, they don't get to know this amazing girl in front of me...
    Adriel gave a wide grin that made Elia blush.
    "A-and people judge all the time anyway! You're not some adowable puppy dog that people are just gonna instantly like all the time!" he followed up.
    "Adowable?" she snorted.
    "Exactly!" he said reassuringly, "So just keep on being you."

The doors of the salon opened suddenly. Robert strode in and bowed before Elia.
    "My lady, it is time."
    Elia looked around but didn't see Adriel. He must have fled and quickly jumped out the window.

Elia walked behind Robert as he headed out into the grand salon. The usual large heavy sofas have been swapped with individual seats all facing the far end of the room. She was pleasantly surprised to find that from the dozens of people she saw in the foyer earlier, only ten of them were inside the room. Each seat is occupied by a person wearing black clothes. She heard their soft whispers. She didn’t look up to see their faces, but she can feel each of them kept their eyes on her as she walked to the foremost row.

Elia was relieved to finally reach her assigned place and turn away from all of the people present. Never had she felt more tired from walking such a short distance. It felt like she just waded against a strong current. In front of her was a long table where a purple urn, that Elia recognized to be Mistress Adelaida’s remains, stood proudly beside two organized stacks of folders, and her portrait.
    1Os5myJ.png

No sooner had she taken her seat, an old, greying man, assisted by a tall, blond, teenager with a blood red undercoat came into the room. The teen sat the attorney at the only chair behind the table. Her purple eyes met the other teen's red ones. For a second, his mouth fell open. But he quickly came to his senses, ignored her, and talked animatedly to the old man.

"Alright, let's get this over with. 'Coz I'm starving!" the old man said looking past the small crowd and onto the meal prepared outside. A lady behind Elia scoffed in disapproval.
    "Dearly beloved," he started monotonously, "we gather here in fond memory of Mrs. Adelaida Thebe, Madame Royale—not since the 19th century she's not!" several other people groaned. Elia didn't mind though. She was afraid that the whole ordeal would be too formal, given the sudden shift to Robert's mindset, but she found the old man amusing. Quite comical, actually. She wondered what had him on pins and needles in the first place.

He opened the folder and pulled out a sheet of paper. He gave it a flourish and pulled it closer to his face. He looked up to the audience. "And now, the moment of truth!"

"I, Adelaida Thebe, being of competent and sound mind, with residence at Royal Thebe Summer Palace, Capeside, Brindleton Bay, hereby revoke all former Wills and testamentary dispositions made by me and declare this to be my last Will which I make this eighteenth day of May..."

Elia thought the atmosphere got heavier. Or maybe the sun outside got hidden in a cloud's shadow? She looked around to check but got distracted by the crowd. Their focus had shifted; and Elia reveled in that fact that she can look freely without anyone cringing. The small group seemed to hail from various backgrounds. Some look more worn than others and none of them, to her surprise, looked rich except the pale blond teen. Everybody however, shared the same undivided interest on what the lawyer was saying.

"...To my dear friend and governess, Amagi Rika, I bestow and bequeath §5,000 free of inheritance tax...". Elia heard Rika sob softly. (Oh Adelaida! Thank you! May the Watcher bless you!)

"The remainder of my assets both liquid and otherwise, including the historic Royal Thebe Summer Palace at Hound's Head, Capeside, Brindleton Bay, and all belongings therein, and power to retain or purchase as an authorized investment, I bestow and bequeath to my son, Antoine Thebe-de Grandpré provided that..."

That must be my father, Elia thought. She did not have any recollection of him. How warmly (or coldly) he had treated to her. How his voice sounded. Or even how he looked like. She had lost him in her early toddler years.

"I bestow and bequeath by substitution," the lawyer continued.
    "to my trustee, Edward Whittaker."
    Post edited by orenjiAi on
    edited November 2020
    It was a great update to your story! :) You have written it so very well! You are very descriptive and we can sense how Elia is feeling very well! It was a big surprise what you wrote in the spoiler! I won’t write about it to spoil other people that come to read the story :)
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    Oof I wish Elia didn't zone out at the most important part. :joy:

Okay so my guesses for your cruel cliffhanger for:
    "I bestow and bequeath to my son, Antoine Thebe-de Grandpré provided that..."
    is immediately followed up with the condition that Elia's father has children of his own, so a legitimate successor (like Elia). Hence Edward Whittaker as substitution will not take effect.

I'm also thinking there might be additional terms and conditions, that Elia must be wed by her 18th birthday or smth. Or that she is a true Thebe in all accounts (maybe mannerisms or whatever they deem important).

Well I'm obviously biased in that I want Elia to inherit the place. :lol:
    edited December 2020
    Unloved 9

“I can pick you up later, if you want, honey,” your mom said just as you unlatched your seatbelt. She was dropping you off. It was a hot Saturday morning and you and your best friends agreed to meet at the San Myshuno Metro to travel South together to Del Sol Valley.

“Oh thanks... but you really don’t have to.” you reassured her. “Besides I won’t be long. Just gonna take the tour and some pictures. It’ll be, like, two and a half hours tops, including travel.”

“I think I can get off work early today. I just have to meet these clients. But I’m free afterwards, I can make it back in time for lunch too. We can go shopping at Starlight Boulevard—“

“No thanks! Amy, Mannie, and I have reservations for lunch. Byeee! Take care and love ya!” You said sweetly with air kisses.

As she turned around the corner you couldn’t help but sigh. While a ride back home was appreciated, you certainly didn’t want her to come. Sometimes you wonder if your mom had ever been a teenager at all. She should understand that it’s not like you didn’t enjoy her company, but having a parent pick you up in front of your friends was like an express ticket to being made fun of. And besides, you didn’t want her to find out the reason you’re going all the way out to The Pinnacles was because you had to take extra credits to make up for plagiarizing your term paper.

The train ride to The Pinnacles was uneventful except for your friends’ constant complaints. The Pinnacles was a historically wealthy neighborhood that stood on a low ridge of hills north of Del Sol Valley. The gated community on its lower slopes had a picturesque view of the city and it was home to renowned celebrities like Judith Ward and Thorne Bailey. At its summit, however, was a national park where the old royal castle ruins stood. On what used to be the site of a rickety wooden watchtower, eventually grew a fortified castle where the Royal Thebe family withdrew to when the winters at their coastal hometown turned harsh and bitter. The castle survived many centuries of use and renovation but it was completely razed in the 17th century. And on its foundations, a more of-its-time palace was built.

It was on this part of your paper that the history teacher noticed that you and your friends wrote exactly the same thing. To be fair, you did transcribe word-for-word that 45-views Simtube video on the Great Sloth Invasion. And you did try to pass said writing off as your own. It just didn’t occur to you that your friends too would have viewed the same video and do exactly as you did. Luckily though, instead of outright failing you or giving detention, the teacher let you off easy. All you had to do was visit (with picture proof) the newly reopened Museum of National History at Chateau Peak. She called it immersion learning.

“Gosh! How much further? I don’t think I can take another step! These shoes are killing me!” one of your friends said.
    “Shut up Amy! You shouldn’t have worn those then! You knew we’re going to The Pinnacles! And you knew it was atop a steep hill!”
    “But I wanted to look cute.”
    “You can’t. Not with those shoes, you won’t! Coz wedges are sooo last year!”

A golf cart passed by as the two were bickering. You watched carefully at the uniformed personnel driving it. It seemed that the park attendants used them to shuttle visitors and employees uphill. You hailed one and stopped to let you ride. You praised yourself for your quick thinking. And your friends did too.

Within seconds and with great ease, instead of the grueling uphill hike, you were transported at the entrance of a grand baroque palace.
    84XBhLs.png
    You went inside and were greeted by a friendly intern—who BTW was a total snacc! To your disappointment, however, he informed that museum tours were not scheduled for another half hour later. He apologetically asked you to wait in the café by the cour d’honneur with the other patrons.
    sL535XX.png
    Well there goes my afternoon, you thought. You had reservations for lunch too at this hip ramen place with Amy and Mannie. But it's not like there's anything you could do. You start to head out...

"Well..." you heard Mannie's soft playing-cute voice. She began tracing her finger up and down the tour guide’s lapel.
    "You see, Sebastian, " she read his name plate, "I'm really bad with crowds... And I've never actually done it before, you know... going on a museum tour. So I'm kinda scared. But you seem like you'd be a really good guy. So I wouldn’t mind if it was you who’d help me with my first...
    "Museum exploration" she giggled.

You rolled your eyes and looked at Amy. She sported the same Can-you-believe-this-girl? look. But you were thankful for Mannie’s flirting. It seemed to work on Sebastian and he finally agreed to give you and your friends an exclusive museum tour at no extra charge.
    0ZaDykG.png
    Your first stop was the marble and gilt grand staircase. Sebastian said the stairs are actually the last renovation done to the palace before the Great Sloth Invasion. Prior to that, people climbed up another stairwell on the other side of the chateau (it is now used as service stairs). Instead, where they were standing used to be the old chapel.

You noticed Mannie trying to strike pose. Subtly and seductively. Amy, on the other hand, was more interested to learn that real 24 karat gold leaf was used in the detailing. She was wondering how much she could sell it for if she scratched a bit off the walls.
    atPZa5g.png
    The grand salon was where the King and Queen entertained guests and dignitaries. It is located off the old entrance at the landing of the Grand Stairs. At this point you’ve already gone bored. Sebastian was nice to look at but he was less cute when he was talking...about history nonetheless. You honestly just couldn’t bring yourself to care about what happened to some guys and their house after they were long dead and gone.

Sebastian led your small party into a long gallery that took the entire right wing of the palace. It was nice. It looked out to the front court and it had soft cushy purple ottomans for people to sit in. But you found it such a waste of space when you consider its only purpose was to access a private balcony in the chapel.
    6vBxpX9.png
    LBw9pkY.png

After the fifth or so room, you trailed behind, growing less and less interested in the tour. Mannie, however, feigned interest and inched closer and closer to Sebastian. Amy, like you, just wanted the tour to be over and done with.
    fW0j24u.png

At the throne room, you remembered you had to be taking pictures to be credited for the activity, so you pulled out your phone and snapped a quick photo.
    MICp0OB.png

That was odd.

In real life, the throne looked just like all the other purple furniture in the rooms before. But on the screen, it burned an off-putting, humbling, shade of violet. You heard Mannie calling for you and snapped back to attention.

You followed her voice into a spacious bedroom at the end of a battery of suites by the throne. Sebastian was talking to Amy on the other side of the royal bedchamber. They were oblivious to Mannie’s fits. As you walked in she grabbed your arm and pulled you closer. She pointed excitedly to the fireplace and lowered her voice to a whisper.
    “Look! Look! On the mantel!”
    y4wUFsz.png

Wooden sculptures sat on the mantel with an old Tudor style clock. It was a stallion. And an elephant.
    “It can’t be a coincidence that they’re those animals! Think the old King was, like, compensating for something?“
    You scoffed and nudge her playfully on her sides. Mannie’s mind was always in the gutter.

A door in the bedroom led to a study. It was arranged so people could read the Queen’s last diary entry before the Invasion. You walked past and ended up in...
    Pwic1lx.png

The Queen’s bedchamber.
    OyZr0gv.png

“Oh my god. I heard they totally don’t sleep on the same bed anymore, if you know what I mean,” you said out loud. It sent Mannie and Amy laughing hysterically. Even Sebastian tried hard to suppress his snickers.

Composing themselves, you all went through the service stairs into another entrance hall with tapestries hanging on the walls. It was less grand than the one you met Sebastian in. It had minimal wood carvings and a simpler flooring. However, it had massive French doors that looked out to beautifully manicured gardens that went right to the edge of the old castle ruins. The splashing of water from several fountains could be heard faintly through the glass. You tried to open the door but found it locked. You stare longingly at the foliage swaying to the wind outside. Really, all you wanted to do right now was step out into the gardens and bask in the warmth of the Del Sol Valley sun.
    3d34BmO.png

A few minutes have passed and you decided it was best to look for Amy and Mannie. After following the signages and going through a number of rooms, you find Mannie and Sebastian seated in the ballroom with their backs turned to you. It didn’t take long for you to realize that they were kissing. Passionately. You figured you’d rather not stay in the same room with such fired up teens so you slipped by quietly and let them have their moment.
    EDLubZx.png

EPlFkFD.png
    You found Amy in the gift shop looking at replicas of some of the chateau’s knickknacks. They were awfully expensive and were not to your tastes, at all. You couldn’t imagine them fitting anywhere else but in a museum. Only this museum. You diverted your attention to the mannequins wearing souvenir shirts.

It’s a bright day at the Winter Palace!, it said.

So lame.

You dragged Amy out of the gift shop, saving her from probably the worst decision of her life (and a few hundred bucks). Through the window, you noticed the first batch of museum-goers walk inside the building. It seemed like the tours have officially begun. And yet Mannie was still nowhere in sight. Instead of idly standing by in the exit hall, Amy decided that you two wait for her inside the café. You opened the doors and ran into someone you know.
    MwXIctr.png

“Tyler,” Sammy said, surprised. “What are you doing here?”
    “Hey babe,”
    “Don’t call me that.”

Tyler was one of Sammy’s many suitors. Amy, who had always wanted to get them together, tipped off their activities today to him. In her mind, they were perfect for each other. He was the King. Ace football player. She was the Queen Bee. The most popular girl in school. In truth, Sammy did not mind. He was attractive, good at sports, and was incredibly persistent. But he was also wearing the museum’s souvenir shirt.

“Bright day today, huh?” she poked fun at him.
    “It is, now that I’ve met you here.”

Ugh.

“Hey! There’s Mannie!” Amy said as she walked back to their table. She waved at her and she headed towards them. “Say Sammy, now that Tyler’s here, why don’t we all have lunch together? We have reservations to TenMen, care to join us?”
    “I’d love to,” Tyler said seriously, looking at Sammy.
    Amy squealed.
    “Oh my gosh you guys! It was soooo hot—“ Mannie started excitedly as soon as she was in earshot.
    “Eww. Please stop talking.” Sammy interrupted. “Alright, I guess I’d let you take us to TenMen. You brought your car right? Don’t expect us to walk all the way there do you?”
    “Of course! Lemme go get it babe.”
    “Don’t call me that. But before you go, can you take a photo of us in front of the Winter Palace? I really need it for my history class.”
    4QswQN5.png

By the time they went out the café, a limousine had parked in front of the chateau. It had flags on its hood and seemed very businesslike. Not wanting to get the ominous car into frame, they walked to the other side of the court for their pictures. They needed photographic evidence that they indeed visited the museum after all. They took many photos of the principle façade. Then of all of them together. Then of each other. But as Sammy stepped onto the gravel for her turn, the limo sped out of its parking spot. It just narrowly missed the group of teens.
    zJ6NMz9.png
    “Hey! Watch where you’re going 🌸🌸🌸🌸!” Tyler shouted after the limo as it rolled out on the asphalt roads of Chateau Peak.
    Post edited by orenjiAi on
    :o Edward won for real? I'm speechless.

I wonder how Elia and Adrian, and especially Robert are doing. Are they all living in that tiny hut by the capeside? Can't imagine Robert liking that. :joy:

Am also wondering if Elia goes to the same school as Sammy and co. :flushed:
    Hi @mercuryfoam! Hope you had a blessed Thanksgiving and happy holidays ahead! I’m in such a festive mood lately. Who knows? Maybe they’ll swap mansions. 🙃
    @orenjiAi Happy late thanksgiving! That's awesome. End the year with good cheer and start anew next. :smiley:

Pffft... Edward and hobo hut in the same sentence? Or are you suggesting they're all living someplace else? Robert's? Don't tell me! I'll find out in your next chapter. :)
    Hey there @Kellogg_J_Kellogg! Thank you! :) There are more pics of the build here if you're interested. :)
    Unloved 10

"The remainder of my assets both liquid and otherwise, including the historic Royal Thebe Summer Palace, I bestow and bequeath by substitution, to my trustee, Edward Whittaker,” the lawyer said monotonously. He put the paper down, shoved it inside its envelope, and with much more excitement, exclaimed, “Alright! It’s chow time!”

The words didn’t really set with Elia. They were far too advanced—too technical—for her to comprehend. But judging from the sudden buzz among the audience. From how the teenage albino grinned from ear to ear. And from Robert’s widened eyes. She had a hunch that things were not in her favor.

The lawyer stood up. He was rubbing his hands and almost drooling in anticipation. From the very start, he had been very vocal about the feast. He immediately left the chamber. Other guests soon followed suit. One by one, they walked out the large French doors that led to the gardens. Elia and Robert Edward remained seated in place, however. They watched as Edward gathered his and the attorney’s belongings. He straightened the paper stacks before neatly sliding them into a briefcase.

Edward headed for the gardens for the luncheon.

Uhwbmso.png
    “What are you playing at?" Robert said spitefully as he passed them by.
    “I beg your pardon?” Edward asked innocently.
    “Clearly, you are trying to pull off something—”
    “I do not understand what you’re—”
    “I’m saying that you 🌸🌸🌸🌸 forged the will, didn’t you, young master?”
    It was the first time Elia heard Robert say expletives and imagined Edward took great offense in it. Edward opened his mouth to voice his exasperation. But no words came out of it except a faint gurgling noise.

Elia couldn’t help but snicker. She instantly regretted it though. She immediately stopped as she noticed both men’s eyes diverted to her. Edward regained his composure and smiled.

“My, my, where are your manners, Bob?” He smirked, “I told you to work on your temper.
    “And, no, I did not forge the will. Really, Bob? You’re an adult now. At 25, you should learn to accept the reality that not everything goes the way you planned. No need to be a sore loser—!
    “But more importantly, you haven’t introduced me to the lovely lady yet.” He smiled at Elia.

Without dropping eye contact with Edward, Robert slowly said, “My lady, Elia, may I present to you the only son of the Royal Thebe cadet branch? Edward Whittaker.
    “Elia is the biological granddaughter of the late Mistress Adelaida...”
    “Pleased to make your acquaintances, Mademoiselle Elia!” Edward said cheerfully, giving her a proper bow.

He then spoke to Edward. “I must say, I admire your perseverance. You succeeded in finding the lost son’s family. An extraordinary feat that many private investigators failed to do!”

“If you’re implying that, like you, I would resort to deceit, I have the results of her DNA test—”

“Oh, there is no need for that! There is no doubt that Elia here is the real deal! One look and I knew she was a Thebe. Why she bears an uncanny resemblance to the madame royale herself!
    “But...” he flashed a condescending smile. “I hope you know this doesn’t change anything, though! The will has already been executed! Which means that I—!”

“How long must you keep me waiting, Whittaker?” a deep cold voice said.

A strong cold wind swept through the grand salon. It made the chandelier sway and its light flicker. After rocking a few times, its electric candles died down completely, plunging the trio into darkness. Elia swore she saw a glowing pair of icy blue orbs from across the room just before Robert lit the chandelier again.

2wHcliD.png
    The room is now filled with a dozen people in black suits. The orbs that Elia saw were revealed to be eyes. They belonged to a silver-haired middle-aged man. He wore a charcoal old-fashioned trench coat which made his already pale skin look paperwhite. He had an air of authority about him. A charismatic, almost enchanting, confidence that made Elia realize that he—not anyone in the room earlier—was the important person everyone was looking out for.

Robert was back in stoic butler mode and even Edward, who had been so smug the entire time, dropped his attitude. Elia figured it was best to avert her eyes and stared at the floor.

“My most sincere apologies, Count Straud, commissioner sir,” she heard Edward explain.
    “My errands took a lot longer to finish than anticipated. But we could begin evaluating the chateau after the luncheon. If you would; this way, please, sir.” he led.
    Count Straud and his entourage began to exit the chamber. However, his cold gaze fell on Elia and he stopped in his tracks with an intrigued look.

“Whittaker?”
    “Yes sir?”
    “Pray tell, what errand kept you distracted?” the count said, never keeping his eyes off Elia.
    “The reading of the late Mistress Adelaida’s last will, sir.”
    “And how did it go?”
    Edward regained some of his smugness. “Swimmingly! The estate is bequeathed to me as expected.”
    “Oh? Interesting... and this young lady?”
    “Who? Oh! Elia? She’s Antoine’s daughter. Dubois found her, apparently."

Robert interrupted politely.
    "Mademoiselle Elia, I would like to introduce the Honorable National Historical Commissioner, His Excellency, Count Vladislaus Straud IV."

"Hi," Elia started with an awkward wave. The count slowly nodded his head. Elia remembered that she had to curtsy at formal introductions like these. She cringed and bowed her head immediately.

"Adelaida's granddaughter..." the count said.
    “She doesn’t matter. She is not a threat to our plans. I shall have them removed from the Summer Palace,” Edward answered.

"Removed?" Elia, Robert, and the count said in unison.

“Well, Dubois was relieved of his duties the moment the mistress died. He has no business staying at the chateau. As for Elia, the will—“
    “Does not mention of Antoine and his family? I find that uncharacteristic of Adelaida,” the count retorted.
    “Sir?”
    “I am saying that the Adelaida I know surely shan’t have forgotten her own family?”
    “But it says right here!” Edward frantically opened his briefcase and produced the last will. He handed it over to the count who, surprisingly, examined and read all of its contents. After some time, he handed over the document to Edward. He didn't say anything more about the will. He summoned one of his secretaries.
    "Call the architect and the Inspector General" he ordered. ". Tell them we are to begin the evaluation at once."

Elia looked out to the gardens where the luncheon was already in full swing. A local band performed their set but she couldn't hear the music through the thick stone walls. She recognized some of the people she met on her grocery run with Robert. The fish vendor was chatting up the herbs dealer while scooping large portions of Caprese salad. Suddenly, a little boy came running and hugged her around the waist. She tousled his hair before moving on to get some kebabs. It was a warm lovely summer's day but she was stuck inside the Summer Palace, tagging along as inspectors checked for signs of water damage on the elaborate plaster ceiling of the Master's Chambers. They did not find any, however, and with the final room done, the inspecting team was happy to report to the Commissioner that the chateau was almost brand new.

"Splendid reconstruction, Bob!" Edward murmured to Robert.
    "The late mistress was very particular about her home’s upkeep."
    "If we would sell it, it'd fetch us at least a couple of million Simoleons!"
    "It seems that you are mistakenly holding this conversation with the wrong person, young master."
    "You're right, I was just teasing you. Or am I?"

Suddenly, one of the count's bodyguards knocked on the open door.
    "Commissioner, the executor of the will is here," he informed. The cool attorney strutted in as the bodyguard left.
    “‘Sup?”
    "Attorney, I have to be back at the office tomorrow morning. It is a five-hour drive, so I will make this very brief. I have something here that might interest you," the count began. "Dubois, I trust that everything in this room had been left untouched since your mistress passed?"
    "Yes, my lord."
    The count walked to the armoire to explore it. He slid open its drawers. One by one, and stopped when he found the underwear drawer. To everyone's shock, he dug through the late mistress's colorful frillies like some crazed teenager.
    bM3y8qk.png

"SIR COUNT!?" Robert shouted indignantly. Elia felt very uncomfortable at the sight of the count going through a dead person's undergarments.
    "Well, you're right, this is interesting." the lawyer said, making Edward howl with laughter.

The count produced a small vintage key which he gave to Robert. Edward stopped laughing immediately. Everyone watched as Robert held the key up to his eyes. He was puzzled at first but then had a sudden realization. He ran out of the bedroom and into the study across the hall. He grabbed an ornate wooden box on the shelf and brought it back to the other room.
    S99vOgx.png

The count, the lawyer, Edward, and Elia gathered around as he put the box on the bed. He slowly slid in the key and gave it a turn. It unlocked with a soft click and opened to reveal a single sealed envelop similar to the one that was read in the grand salon earlier.

Edward tried to snatch the document but Robert stopped him.
    "What is it?" Edward inquired.
    "The mistress's last will and testament." Robert read the writing on the envelope.
    "A more recent last will...a handwritten revision," the lawyer corrected.
    "Well don't just stand there! Read it!" Edward demanded.

uhNYq2v.png
    The lawyer quickly scanned the document, remarking his findings out loud.
    "This is quite the revision... The assets are broken up further... There is a list of charities... You still inherit a handsome amount, though." he mentioned to Edward.
    "I doubt it's anything near the 22 million appraised value of the Summer Palace!" he snarked. "The Palace! What happens to it!?"
    "Bequeathed to Antoine still."
    "And in his absence?"
    "His children first, if he had any... Following the line of succession. Else, donated to the Commission Historique Nationale. With a provision of Dubois as chatelain. This changes everything."
    "🌸🌸🌸🌸! NO! 🌸🌸🌸🌸! How?!?" Edward protested.

It did change everything. With the revision, Elia was finally and legally granted the things that got her out of the orphanage in the first place. She breathed a sigh and sat down at the bed. She realized how tired and hungry she really was. She looked at the count, who was half-hidden in the shadows. Who exactly was he? How did he find out about the hidden key? Why was a big name politician interested in some old lady's last will?

"...There is the issue of the legitimacy of the will. But this state allows holographic wills, so it would most likely be acknowledged," the lawyer explained to Edward. "This document will be sent to handwriting experts for verification. That'll take another two weeks at most. If that turns out positive, the probate will be revoked. And everything will be recovered for redistribution of the new executor, Dubois.
    I'm still getting paid for this, right?"

Elia sat alone on one of the empty tables in the garden. The party had just finished. The commissioners left for Del Sol Valley. Edward and his lawyer had also taken their leave. It was late in the afternoon and the caterer was already packing their stuff. In the end, she, Robert, Edward, or anyone from the Commission never got to attend the luncheon. It had been a hectic day for them. They had been too busy and tense. But now, Elia can rest easy knowing that it's over.

1bJyZ3E.png
    Robert joined her table carrying a platter of leftovers from the buffet. It contained an assortment of meats and other high-carb foods. He also brought her something to drink.
    "I hope this can make up for that missed meal. And for making you go through all that fiasco earlier," he said giving her generous servings.
    "Hey! I can't finish all of this!" Elia laughed.
    "But my lady! It'd be such a waste! Some people don't get to eat at all! Eat up while you can, we were almost homeless earlier!"

Elia grew silent, remembering how she sometimes skipped meals at the orphanage. She also recalled this afternoon's happenings.
    "You know, I got really scared back there," she started.

Robert was scarfing down pasta primavera. But when he noticed Elia speaking, he stopped, took a long draught of sweet tea, and gave her his undivided attention.
    "I've always felt like I never belonged here. Like I don't fit in. And sometimes, I wonder what it's like to have been adopted into a regular family.
    "But when the lawyer said that everything had been granted to Edward, I got scared.
    "Coz it felt like I just got all of this and I never even had the chance the appreciate it. And already, it's being taken away from me.
    "I was scared I'd have to go back to the orphanage. Scared that I'd go back to nothing."

"I guess what I am trying to say is...the thing I was most scared of losing is you," Elia admitted, looking deeply into Robert's eyes.
    Oh hey!

I don't know how you'd react to this, but I actually had Unloved 11 sitting in my imgur.com album since last December. However, words fail me for quite sometime now. I just cannot string all those pictures together in a cohesive write-up. I don't want to deliver something half-baked. But it's been months already! Do you think it'd be better to just reshoot that episode? Perhaps rethink where I want this story to go?

On the other hand, my mental health has been better. I now have to opportunity to set things straight. And I'm really grateful for that chance. Now, if I could somehow just overcome this writer's block... Hmmm...

Anyway, I just wanted to inform that this series hasn't been abandoned and I'd like to thank those that have read it. :blush:

Here's an uncharacteristically vain Elia decked in CC and flexing her newfound (9 episodes ago) wealth.
    GqYPBCZ.png
  • surlybadgersurlybadger Posts: 283 Member
    @orenjiAi I used to write a lot, and I personally found that sometimes just redoing an entire scene, chapter ect. It sometimes helps offer a new angle you weren't seeing before and the words just flow with more ease. Writer's block is one of the more annoying things I've dealt with creatively, so I feel you!
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    When you're ready to write the next chapter, I'll be eager to read it.
    Hey @orenjiAi ! Glad to hear from you! It's great that you're doing better and sounds like you're expecting a lot from yourself there. It's alright to take things slow. And the thing about writing or any creative pursuits is that it's usually best when you are feeling inspired about it. If you're not feeling the previous shoots, retake or rethink sounds like a good idea. Your vision for your story is dynamic and will evolve as you write, so it's up to you if you want to embrace that change or stick to the original vision. There's no right or wrong either way. :)

And woo! I'm glad this has not been abandoned. Again though, don't feel the need to rush your muse. Let it flow and fill in its own time. :)

Hello :) I enjoy reading each episode. I am glad that you are going better with your health. Please just take care of yourself and don’t cause yourself stress inside over the next episode. Just take your time and do what you feel is best for yourself and what you feel more comfortable about with the episode.
    We care about you and though we enjoy reading what you write, you and your health are the most important <3
    Aww! Thanks you guys! :D Your support is more than enough motivation for me to keep writing! Oh geez! I can’t stop smiling!
  • BookBearBookBear Posts: 488 Member
    I love this story, and want to hear more if you're up to it! :blush:
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif