Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

....close please. going off topic. lets wait on EP10 details!

124...Next

Comments

• Darkshadow608Darkshadow608 Posts: 156 Member
    I don't particularly think it'll be a crowd pleaser, only because developing content takes time. In the letter it was stated that this pack was being developed since last year. I don't believe they anticipated the negative response to SW pack. Many gamers have a wide range of interests and I'd actually be curious how well the pack sold. But bringing out an immediate crowd pleaser would just mean that its a rushed product, and incomplete/buggy/lacking. So to give my opinion on the OP, no I don't think it's a crowd pleaser. Just whatever was next in their queue.
  • ZazazaSimmerZazazaSimmer Posts: 85 Member
    I don't particularly think it'll be a crowd pleaser, only because developing content takes time. In the letter it was stated that this pack was being developed since last year. I don't believe they anticipated the negative response to SW pack. Many gamers have a wide range of interests and I'd actually be curious how well the pack sold. But bringing out an immediate crowd pleaser would just mean that its a rushed product, and incomplete/buggy/lacking. So to give my opinion on the OP, no I don't think it's a crowd pleaser. Just whatever was next in their queue.

Incomplete, buggy and lacking just sounds like a regular Sims 4 pack to me lol

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Honestly, I think it's going to be a good and "popular" pack. They KNOW our opinions about the most recent packs, so I just can't see them not taking this opportunity to redeem themselves and keep the Sims 4 fire alive. Plus the november/december EPs are usually crowd pleasers.

Sure it's not going to be what we want the most, as they stated themselves, but it doesn't mean it won't be good. Since it's not going to be generations or farming, I'm expecting either a Showtime kind of pack, a romance pack or winter vacation + running hotels.

But what are they doing in the meantime? They felt they needed to be politically correct and do some skins that already most are saying are not an improvement and it's TS4 players (not those of us who have stopped playing) saying those improved skins are horrible. Go figure. But negative Nancys who aren't playing will get the blame for the negativity. As seen in this thread. It's the TS4 player who is still buying who is saying the new skintones/same ones, are not improved. They also just did a release celebrating a partiuclar class/group of people, again feeling they need to be politically correct with all the content they keep producing for this game. How many are thrilled with all that? Not many is my guess. I read same CAS assets just a different texture/recolor. Catering to niches of groups all for the sake of diveristy isn't cutting edge technology or gameplay. Based on what they just did, again, to gain some new player somewhere, I doubt the next EP is any better than another politcally correct ploy. Expanded view, it seems to me they work with all these groups and organizations to help make the game more politcally correct while they ignore what people say, gameplay, stuff that belongs in The Sims, and better personality traits and meanings and consequences for those, but they keep going down a rabbit hole. How many will use the clothes in the new update, compared to an improved baby, and or farming tractors and farm animals. Just sayin'.

I disagree and just don't see the connection between what you said and what I said. Yes, they're definitely worried about being politically correct, certainly cause that's a good marketing strategy nowadays and also because the community is asking for it (like all the requests for more skin tones and also the gender options). But I don't think this plays any role on the packs. If it did, we would have already gotten an african-inspired world, a proper asiatic world and etc. Instead we get loads of European and American worlds and even Star Wars stuff.

Being "politically correct" is the right thing to do, and adding more inclusivity in the game is always a good thing. However, they have been doing it for free (which obviously, is how it should be), and not on the packs, so I don't think the next pack quality will be related to how politically correct it is. And also, how can someone complain about FREE inclusivity? Just cause you're not pleased with hispanic content, it doesn't mean the hispanic simmers aren't or just any other simmer who likes to represent different cultures in their game. I mean, it's free.

It's not like they decided to add hispanic content instead of improved babies. They have the team and the budget to do both. Go figure why they're not.

That so called diversity is nothing more than set dressing. If you read what they say they tell us they work with this group or that group. Do we need a lobby group to get gameplay. I have no interest in fluff and setdressing. Those are free in modder land. What I want to see is depth and TS4 doesn't have any. Also, if you are going to celebrate one group over another one better celebrate all groups and type celebrations and or peoples, and traditions, or they look disingenous with the so called diversity. I have no problem with extras things in the game, for anybody of any group, what I have a problem with is set dressing and pandering. What a Sim looks like has little to do with what a Sim thinks, believes, does, interacts, knows, behaves, and or anything else. Just a different skin and hair. The lack of depth is atonishing in this game.

Look around, every time sales drop Maxis brings out some set dressing.

I will post one last thought, any other game could be sold as a Sim game as long as it has a large population of many different looking Sims. That doesn't say much for gameplay in a life simulator, nor what The Sims used to be. A game about life, not how many trends we can follow and or how many different recolored shirt meshes they can add.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    Nothing that they make from here on matters to me unless they address the bigger of issues of traits mattering more, odd sim behavior, and needed bug fixes.

If they do those, I will reinstall the game.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    CK213 wrote: »
    Nothing that they make from here on matters to me unless they address the bigger of issues of traits mattering more, odd sim behavior, and needed bug fixes.

If they do those, I will reinstall the game.

I thought you were still playing and just recently posted about some packs you had purchased recently? I guess time is getting away from me, because I read your good reviews (in other people's posts) and saw pictures of what you did with ROM (?) DU, and many others, like EL, recently.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited October 2020
    Honestly, I think it's going to be a good and "popular" pack. They KNOW our opinions about the most recent packs, so I just can't see them not taking this opportunity to redeem themselves and keep the Sims 4 fire alive. Plus the november/december EPs are usually crowd pleasers.

Sure it's not going to be what we want the most, as they stated themselves, but it doesn't mean it won't be good. Since it's not going to be generations or farming, I'm expecting either a Showtime kind of pack, a romance pack or winter vacation + running hotels.

But what are they doing in the meantime? They felt they needed to be politically correct and do some skins that already most are saying are not an improvement and it's TS4 players (not those of us who have stopped playing) saying those improved skins are horrible. Go figure. But negative Nancys who aren't playing will get the blame for the negativity. As seen in this thread. It's the TS4 player who is still buying who is saying the new skintones/same ones, are not improved. They also just did a release celebrating a partiuclar class/group of people, again feeling they need to be politically correct with all the content they keep producing for this game. How many are thrilled with all that? Not many is my guess. I read same CAS assets just a different texture/recolor. Catering to niches of groups all for the sake of diveristy isn't cutting edge technology or gameplay. Based on what they just did, again, to gain some new player somewhere, I doubt the next EP is any better than another politcally correct ploy. Expanded view, it seems to me they work with all these groups and organizations to help make the game more politcally correct while they ignore what people say, gameplay, stuff that belongs in The Sims, and better personality traits and meanings and consequences for those, but they keep going down a rabbit hole. How many will use the clothes in the new update, compared to an improved baby, and or farming tractors and farm animals. Just sayin'.

I disagree and just don't see the connection between what you said and what I said. Yes, they're definitely worried about being politically correct, certainly cause that's a good marketing strategy nowadays and also because the community is asking for it (like all the requests for more skin tones and also the gender options). But I don't think this plays any role on the packs. If it did, we would have already gotten an african-inspired world, a proper asiatic world and etc. Instead we get loads of European and American worlds and even Star Wars stuff.

Being "politically correct" is the right thing to do, and adding more inclusivity in the game is always a good thing. However, they have been doing it for free (which obviously, is how it should be), and not on the packs, so I don't think the next pack quality will be related to how politically correct it is. And also, how can someone complain about FREE inclusivity? Just cause you're not pleased with hispanic content, it doesn't mean the hispanic simmers aren't or just any other simmer who likes to represent different cultures in their game. I mean, it's free.

It's not like they decided to add hispanic content instead of improved babies. They have the team and the budget to do both. Go figure why they're not.

That so called diversity is nothing more than set dressing. If you read what they say they tell us they work with this group or that group. Do we need a lobby group to get gameplay. I have no interest in fluff and setdressing. Those are free in modder land. What I want to see is depth and TS4 doesn't have any. Also, if you are going to celebrate one group over another one better celebrate all groups and type celebrations and or peoples, and traditions, or they look disingenous with the so called diversity. I have no problem with extras things in the game, for anybody of any group, what I have a problem with is set dressing and pandering. What a Sim looks like has little to do with what a Sim thinks, believes, does, interacts, knows, behaves, and or anything else. Just a different skin and hair. The lack of depth is atonishing in this game.

I will post one last thought, any other game could be sold as a Sim game as long as it has a large population of many different looking Sims. That doesn't say much for gameplay in a life simulator, nor what The Sims used to be. A game about life, not how many trends we can follow and or how many different recolored shirt meshes they can add.

I'm a sims 4 stan but I have to agree on this. I don't say much on the topic because everyone is very sensitive and it's never my intention to offend anyone but all of this fixation on diversity, culture, color, hair and everything sends a message to EA that we are more worried about race and overall looks then gameplay. 😒 when there are so many other things we really need. Not just babies but minor interactions like sitting on the floor to use a laptop or picnic, bed cuddling, tag and anything that enhances the experience.
    I'm a bit dissapointed with the community but it is what it is. 🤷‍♀️ I do miss simpler times though when games were all about mindless engaging fun and nothing more.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited October 2020

I'm a sims 4 stan but I have to agree on this. I don't say much on the topic because everyone is very sensitive and it's never my intention to offend anyone but all of this fixation on diversity, culture, color, hair and everything sends a message to EA that we are more worried about race and overall looks then gameplay. 😒 when there are so many other things we really need. Not just babies but minor interactions like sitting on the floor to use a laptop or picnic, bed cuddling, tag and anything that enhances the experience.
    I'm a bit dissapointed with the community but it is what it is. 🤷‍♀️ I do miss simpler times though when games were all about mindless engaging fun and nothing more.

The Sims is the only game I'm aware of that has players jumping up and down on their soapboxes screeching out demands to the developers and expecting those demands to be met.

Other games will sometimes take a little feedback from players on things from time to time, but for the most part, the game developer is the one who decides what direction they want the game to go in.
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member

it's because the only enhancements of ts4 are cas, build & graphics, basically the customization tools are the only improved features. the game system, gameplay and AI are flawed and limited. what are they gonna hype? the customization tools of course. they won't bother on trying to fix the game and its bugs, no, their priority now is to pretend they care about everyone to be represented in the game. worst thing of all this is, even fixing their attention on representation they can't even do it right.
    we could have both things by now, both a very customized game and plenty of gameplay, but it's seems to be too much work for the devs. like cinebar said, it's all setdressing. the real uniqueness of each sim is lacking because the game is very incomplete. no matter how many hairs or decor they bring to the game it won't have any real impact on it.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited October 2020

The Sims is the only game I'm aware of that has players jumping up and down on their soapboxes screeching out demands to the developers and expecting those demands to be met.

Other games will sometimes take a little feedback from players on things from time to time, but for the most part, the game developer is the one who decides what direction they want the game to go in.

Unfortunately the term ‘life simulator’ seems to have changed to ‘real life simulator’. When this happens the charm of the satirical game that once was The Sims will be forever lost and instead of focusing on in-depth game play, the developer will instead make their focal point ‘how not to step on anyone’s toes’. Like in RL society, never ever will all toes be spared, because some feet are too frickin’ huge not to step on. Making it your goal to please every single person on a political level is a waste of valuable resources and will ruin a game that’s simply meant to be fun.

I will repeat myself over again, but the only way to please such a huge and demanding player base is to give people the right tools right from the start to ensure they can represent themselves if and when they feel the need to do that.
    Design the game with this kind of customization in mind first and then expand upon it with realistic themes or fantastical themes, it shouldn’t matter.
    Give it a solid, future proof foundation. The worst thing is having to go back and attempt to fix an already shaky core system while trying to cuddle every single person that throws a tantrum because they felt left out. This is incredibly tiresome for those who simply want to play a game. Life simulators are too complex too not pay attention to these details from the start. Especially in this day and age.

Anyway...wasn’t this thread about EP 10? 🧐
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member

Unfortunately the term ‘life simulator’ seems to have changed to ‘real life simulator’. When this happens the charm of the satirical game that once was The Sims will be forever lost and instead of focusing on in-depth game play, the developer will instead make their focal point ‘how not to step on anyone’s toes’. Like in RL society, never ever will all toes be spared, because some feet are too frickin’ huge not to step on. Making it your goal to please every single person on a political level is a waste of valuable resources and will ruin a game that’s simply meant to be fun.

I will repeat myself over again, but the only way to please such a huge and demanding player base is to give people the right tools right from the start to ensure they can represent themselves if and when they feel the need to do that.
    Design the game with this kind of customization in mind first and then expand upon it with realistic themes or fantastical themes, it shouldn’t matter.
    Give it a solid, future proof foundation. The worst thing is having to go back and attempt to fix an already shaky core system while trying to cuddle every single person that throws a tantrum because they felt left out. This is incredibly tiresome for those who simply want to play a game. Life simulators are too complex too not pay attention to these details from the start. Especially in this day and age.

You said it perfectly! Gone are the days that "The Sims" is just a fun game where you control a virtual little person. EA has tried so hard to be so inclusive of everything and everybody, the entire concept of the game has gone by the wayside. It's no longer about "playing the game" but representation of RL. Like you said, if they had thought of these things from the beginning and included as much customization as possible from the start, the community wouldn't be nearly in as big of an uproar.

Slides and a color wheels for skin tones, hair, eyes, makeup.
    Proper pronouns if you're non-binary.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited October 2020

You said it perfectly! Gone are the days that "The Sims" is just a fun game where you control a virtual little person. EA has tried so hard to be so inclusive of everything and everybody, the entire concept of the game has gone by the wayside. It's no longer about "playing the game" but representation of RL. Like you said, if they had thought of these things from the beginning and included as much customization as possible from the start, the community wouldn't be nearly in as big of an uproar.

Slides and a color wheels for skin tones, hair, eyes, makeup.
    Proper pronouns if you're non-binary.

it's happening with everything else not just the sims. now everyone needs to show how inclusive they are and so everything comes off as too forced or fake. this all happens because most of the people who consumes these media are the kind of people that worries on behalf of others or needs to see themselves all over the place to like a certain product. the sims 4 dug its own grave by trying to follow the same trend. someone can be inclusive without focusing all the attention on it, devs show they are not very bright.
    nowadays nothing is about the plot or the fun anymore now everything is about trying to put everyone in a product just so they will feel identified and consume it. it's the "woke" people that is ruining the fun for everyone else.

editing this before i get accused of derailing by saying that i don't care about the ep10 because the problem of the game is beyond the packs. the game carries too many problems and bugs and no pack will solve this. so i doubt it will be a crowd pleaser or whatever but if devs were smart they should try to do a theme that people has been asking for. won't please everyone but at least will calm some players for a bit.
  • SimsBroSimsBro Posts: 134 Member
    They already said it's nothing people have been asking since ages. AKA it's more extreme niche boredom like Eco Lifestyle, and the worst part is that it's an EP.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    It could still be Hobbies or Generations though. I hope, cause if it's something weird again people are gonna lose it....
    SimsBro wrote: »
    They already said it's nothing people have been asking since ages. AKA it's more extreme niche boredom like Eco Lifestyle, and the worst part is that it's an EP.

edited October 2020
    OP, you asked us what we thought, we agreed with you, it won't be anything exciting to some of us. I can't be sorry for expressing what I thought when you asked us to say what we thought.

Before you edited, Quote:

(Quote) I have a feeling the next pack isn't anything exciting. But what do you think? Could it be something lots of players would like? We dont have anything to go on but this is the speculation section. (Quote)

We do have things to go on, what they did with some patches, what they said recently (it's trend simulator), and other things said in interviews and directions of the game, it's how I derived at what I thought.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited October 2020
    OP, understand that these ‘off-topic‘ discussions all stem from reasons why some people are or are not excited about an upcoming EP.
    Folks expressing themselves like this comes with a personal question like that.
    No one is simply going to answer ‘YES’ or ‘NO’. We tend to add ‘WHY’ or ‘WHY NOT’. It’s natural to analyze why something is or feels a certain way when it comes to a 6 year old game being part of a 20 year old franchise. What happened? What has changed?

Because it’s not really about EP 10 is it? It’s about everything that came before.
  • EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone! We've gone ahead and closed this thread due to it going off-topic.

EA_Joz
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top