Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim 3 Re-install question

I have all the Cds for sim3 and they are in my origin too. What would be the best way to install them from cd or origin? Also how do I get my my world hidden springs on origin to register its on a cd? I have it on my page too but it not on my Origin. Hope I made since on the hidden springs :smiley:
x4f9t5.jpg

Comments

• alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    I have also re-installed TS3 via Origin and everything went very well! Just start the process and let the internet do the work.

Store content must be downloaded from the store page into the TS3 launcher. I also had worlds on CD, but they were all also present in my store purchase history. If not, start the CD and look what happens.
  • MaMaTwinklebirdMaMaTwinklebird Posts: 169 Member
    Should I do the update that's on there or dose it just update?
    x4f9t5.jpg
    Is there an optional update? I got the latest patch version automatically.
    For me there is cause I always used my Cds on my old computer :)
    x4f9t5.jpg
    As a vanilla player I recommend the latest patch version. For me it is very smooth and stable, and I had no major bugs so far. I don't know about mods though.

There is also a rumour about a 64bit version of TS3 coming in the next months.
    Ok Thank you very much for your help :)

x4f9t5.jpg
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    I have all the Cds for sim3 and they are in my origin too. What would be the best way to install them from cd or origin? Also how do I get my my world hidden springs on origin to register its on a cd? I have it on my page too but it not on my Origin. Hope I made since on the hidden springs :smiley:

@MaMaTwinklebird When you get tired of playing through Origin (which probably won't take long) you can just uninstall the game, also with the help of Origin, and install it from your disks instead, and then update to patch 1.67 with the Super Patcher.

@alanmichael1 I can't believe you actually recommended using Origin to someone who's got the disks?!? :s:s:s Don't you know that some people in fact go so far as to buy all their games again on Steam, or in some cases disks, just to get away from using Origin?? Ask igazor about it if you don't think that's true.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2020
    Yes, I am one of the players who repurchased his game (on Steam because I never had the discs to begin with) to get away from Origin and its annoyances. But of course many players can make the Origin setup work well for them with no serious issues and do not see a reason to jump ship. I put up with Origin's shortcomings and glitches on startup for over a year on my end before I had finally had enough.

There are no differences in the actual game files between Patches 1.67 and 1.69 except for the way in which the game starts up and their internal build numbers. The rest of it, once the game actually gets running, is exactly the same on any platform. The last meaningful patch, as far as gameplay changes, bug fixes, and real mod compatibility are concerned, was 1.66 and that was released in Jan 2014.

Despite all the recent YouTube and Reddit/Twitter hype over a customer support rep who didn't really understand what they were saying or who was apparently reading/messaging from the wrong script, there is no 64-bit version in the works for the Windows version of the game. What is currently being worked on is a 64-bit friendly respin for the Mac version of the game, because currently the Mac version of the game will not run on the latest macOS at all, in any way. And we don't yet really know if that respin, for Mac players only, will truly be 64-bit nor will we really know until something is released. As an EA/Maxis staff member on the project continues to report by way of monthly updates, the whole project has been delayed by technical issues and the pandemic.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    edited September 2020
    SuzyCue72 wrote: »

@MaMaTwinklebird When you get tired of playing through Origin (which probably won't take long) you can just uninstall the game, also with the help of Origin, and install it from your disks instead, and then update to patch 1.67 with the Super Patcher.

@alanmichael1 I can't believe you actually recommended using Origin to someone who's got the disks?!? :s:s:s Don't you know that some people in fact go so far as to buy all their games again on Steam, or in some cases disks, just to get away from using Origin?? Ask igazor about it if you don't think that's true.

giphy.gif
    I spent about $100 USD on disk replacing my digital copies just to skip Origin. :# Do I regret it? nope. Too many times I had packs uncheck themselves and that really messed with the save file I'm playing. Being able to skip the launcher is a huge bonus. I'm aware these things don't really bother some but for me, it was enough to track down sealed copies.

@igazor Are you talking about this comment?
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/the-sims-3-64-bit-amp-metal-release/m-p/9515276/highlight/true#M8367

Someone linked that to me the day it was posted. I'm still being realistic and won't entertain the idea until there's an official real post about it.
    edit to add : It's nice of EA to give Mac users a much-needed update on the situation though. :)
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    edited September 2020
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    @SimplyJen - Yep. One theory is that this new Mac version really will be 64-bit, not just a slight of hand trick to get the game app to run in a 64-bit only environment, and EA might eventually choose use extend any successes of that endeavor over to the Windows side somehow. But that's again just an optimistic theory, we have had absolutely no indications from sources who would actually know what they are talking about that such a plan is even being discussed.

Those of us with Macs that would be thoroughly capable of playing the game from a hardware component standpoint without having to resort to Bootcamping Windows onto it are watching and waiting. And waiting. And waiting...well, we've waited since 2010 when Patch 1.17 came out for something to help make the Mac version work better beyond the base game's original 2 GB RAM limit that is still present like it did for Windows, so of course we can wait a bit longer. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    @SimplyJen - Yep. One theory is that this new Mac version really will be 64-bit, not just a slight of hand trick to get the game app to run in a 64-bit only environment, and EA might eventually choose use extend any successes of that endeavor over to the Windows side somehow. But that's again just an optimistic theory, we have had absolutely no indications from sources who would actually know what they are talking about that such a plan is even being discussed.

Those of us with Macs that would be thoroughly capable of playing the game from a hardware component standpoint without having to resort to Bootcamping Windows onto it are watching and waiting. And waiting. And waiting...well, we've waited since 2010 since Patch 1.17 came out for something to help make the Mac version work better beyond the base game and the original 2 GB RAM limit that is still present like it did for Windows, so of course we can wait a bit longer. :)
    I am a Windows user but I feel for you guys. I'm sure it has sucked dealing with that kind of limitation. It should be the main focus despite Windows users feeling "left out" and saying "this isn't fair. Let's hope with the extra time spent, they can manage to get it done sometime next year if not at the end of this year. For once it looks like they aren't rushing something.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    edited September 2020
    So can I use my disc to still in-stall the game and not use Origin? Also Not have to use disc to play ?I am not very Tech smart :smiley:
    x4f9t5.jpg
    edited September 2020
    If your base game disc was manufactured before Sept 2012 (the vintage of the EP/SP discs doesn't matter), then you could do an all-disc install, deny any offers for the EADM (EA Download Manager) or Origin control, and use the Super Patcher to bring things up to Patch 1.67. You will, however, need to have the disc for the latest released EP or SP in place in order to play because on that kind of install Origin will not be able to manage the required DRM.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I preorder the sims 3 back when they said it was coming out. I have always preorder the game :). So after it install's I just download the patch?
    x4f9t5.jpg
    edited September 2020
    @MaMaTwinklebird - Essentially yes, but the SuperPatcher once you've got it downloaded is a program that needs to be run. Install base game (say no thanks to the EADM), run the SuperPatcher (say no thanks to Origin), test a new game to make sure it's working okay, then move on to the EP/SP disc installs. There's some fiddling around that needs to be done these days to get the store content patches in place on fresh disc installs, but it's not difficult and that doesn't have to be done right away unless you are making a beeline for the TS3 Store to install more stuff.

There's no need to let the Launcher patch if the SuperPatcher is going to do it. But along the line some of the earlier disc installed EPs like WA and Ambitions might offer an update -- those are okay but not entirely essential, mostly dealing with cosmetic improvements made to small numbers of early EP objects.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Sorry if my Origin advice was wrong. I have been playing for one month now with my Origin installation and didn't face one single problem ...
    edited September 2020
    Sorry if my Origin advice was wrong. I have been playing for one month now with my Origin installation and didn't face one single problem ...
    It was not wrong. But there are still alternatives for those who do not wish to cope with an Origin controlled game, or those who try that and do have difficulties with it. It's just significant to remember that, unlike with patches from earlier in the game's history, there is no difference in the actual game files whatsoever (except for their internal build numbers) between 1.67 and 1.69, so it's not like any lingering game bugs were fixed between one and the other.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Everything went good all installed and updated! No Problems so far :)
    x4f9t5.jpg
    There's no need to let the Launcher patch if the SuperPatcher is going to do it. But along the line some of the earlier disc installed EPs like WA and Ambitions might offer an update -- those are okay but not entirely essential, mostly dealing with cosmetic improvements made to small numbers of early EP objects.

Where did you get this from, I wonder, is it official EA information about the content of the six pre-Generation patches?
    I spent about $100 USD on disk replacing my digital copies just to skip Origin. :#Do I regret it? nope. Too many times I had packs uncheck themselves and that really messed with the save file I'm playing. Being able to skip the launcher is a huge bonus. I'm aware these things don't really bother some but for me, it was enough to track down sealed copies.

@SimplyJen That's fully understandable, I have all the discs too. :)

For me it was actually worse than that on two occasions. Even though all the packs were checked the save wouldn't load, instead I got this error message:

Kl6cLx3.png

After that I unchecked and rechecked all the packs, and then it worked fine again:

xpeSLxN.png

@alanmichael1 Yes, it was wrong in my opinion, but I'm sure nobody thinks you did it out of malice or anything, just lack of knowledge about the alternatives.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    SuzyCue72 wrote: »

Where did you get this from, I wonder, is it official EA information about the content of the six pre-Generation patches?

Sorry for quoting, I don’t mean to be rude; but I would like to know this as well.