Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Todays the day I uninstalled the Sims 4, after 6 years and its was hard.

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
edited September 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
First off I'm not a Sims 4 hater - but I am a sims story teller and after six years of "fighting" the Sims 4 to tell my stories, I've come to realize the Sims 4 IS a game to be played rather than a open doll house to do what I want, how I want.

This really didn't hit me until I was headbutted aka played the new Star Wars pack (which I was excited for) only to find myself playing in a world of restrictions...so many restrictions. It was like all the things that drive me nuts about the Sims put into one neighborhood.

Now you might say "but Tolkien, you can make whatever type of Sim you want in the Sim 4 - heck you re-populated the entire Sims 4 game with new custom sims, homes and buildings and tell whatever story you want!"

Which is true, yes but the moment you step into live mode the Sims 4 I step from the chair of creator and into the chair of a sims management style game governed by sims emotions.

More so the sims 4 really is more of a game in another persons sandbox, rather than an empty dollhouse to tell your stories like previous entries, sure you can put your own sims and buildings in it - but you have to follow their rules, do their activities to get there.

Which makes it even harder to tell my stories without "gaming" to get there, be it objectives or emotions.

You see as much fun as I've had playing it...I didnt realize how stressful the game was to TELL my stories in for those reasons.

I know I will eventually reinstall Sims 4, maybe years from now after the last pack comes out and do I feel so stupid buying all these packs at full price only to see them constantly on sale 2 months later. From somebody who owns all the packs, the Prima collectors guide and even the official emotion light Plumbob USB from collectors edition...I have to say I felt a sense of relief uninstalling the Sims 4, even if it was hard to uninstall.

But until than, I don't expect I'll like the super social online only Sims 5 game that's coming next let alone with more emotions...because by far, thats one thing I will not miss from the Sims 4.

Beyond that I recently reinstalled the Sims 3, boy what a different experience from the Sims 4 and hey it runs good now! But this isn't a comparison thread, its a goodbye for now...to the Sims 4. And it wasn't easy...

Has anybody else done this and found it difficult but somehow...relieving too?
Post edited by EA_Joz on

Comments

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited September 2020
    I haven't done it, because Sims 4 is my fav of the bunch (funnily enough also because I'm a storyteller, but clearly we tell our stories in a different way, which is a-okay haha), but I hope you have a blast playing sims 3 and still stick around the forums sometimes! And also I can totally relate to the feeling, just with other games or activities, not Sims 4 haha. It's def a bit of a breath of fresh air.

PS: Your username just reminded me that it's Bilbo and Frodo's bday today. Yeah that was random and Off topic haha! But your feeling can be related to Bilbo giving up the ring... yes I'm a Tolkien nerd :p And assuming you know what I'm talking about cuz of you username...
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    While I can respect your decision, I don't understand why you are limiting yourself with such rigid expectations. Life is a compromise, why should TS4 be any different?

I've only been playing since March, and I"ve created scenarios that the devs never imagined. All it takes is for one to ask the question "what if?"--it all starts from there, and you might be surprised at what you can create
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    It's ok. I hope you have fun with the Sims 3. I do think if the number drops for active players, EA will start to notice that trend especially during covid. Sadly numbers matter to them and they view active players as a way to determine demand for their content. Thanks telemetry I guess. :/ Somehow they know there are 30 million active players now.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I understand. I haven't uninstalled my game. Yet. I play like once a week, if that even, for an hour, maybe. I don't enjoy it that much anymore. I used to play everyday for 6 and more hours! I actually realized that the game makes me anxious and "depressed". Because I am a family player and I am not able to express myself - my play style - in the game. It is so sad.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    First off I'm not a Sims 4 hater - but I am a sims story teller and after six years of "fighting" the Sims 4 to tell my stories, I've come to realize the Sims 4 IS a game to be played rather than a open doll house to do what I want, how I want.

This really didn't hit me until I was headbutted aka played the new Star Wars pack (which I was excited for) only to find myself playing in a world of restrictions...so many restrictions. It was like all the things that drive me nuts about the Sims put into one neighborhood.

Now you might say "but Tolkien, you can make whatever type of Sim you want in the Sim 4 - heck you re-populated the entire Sims 4 game with new custom sims, homes and buildings and tell whatever story you want!"

Which is true, yes but the moment you step into live mode the Sims 4 I step from the chair of creator and into the chair of a sims management style game governed by sims emotions.

More so the sims 4 really is more of a game in another persons sandbox, rather than an empty dollhouse to tell your stories like previous entries, sure you can put your own sims and buildings in it - but you have to follow their rules, do their activities to get there.

Which makes it even harder to tell my stories without "gaming" to get there, be it objectives or emotions.

You see as much fun as I've had playing it...I didnt realize how stressful the game was to TELL my stories in for those reasons.

I know I will eventually reinstall Sims 4, maybe years from now after the last pack comes out and do I feel so stupid buying all these packs at full price only to see them constantly on sale 2 months later. From somebody who owns all the packs, the Prima collectors guide and even the official emotion light Plumbob USB from collectors edition...I have to say I felt a sense of relief uninstalling the Sims 4, even if it was hard to uninstall.

But until than, I don't expect I'll like the super social online only Sims 5 game that's coming next let alone with more emotions...because by far, thats one thing I will not miss from the Sims 4.

Beyond that I recently reinstalled the Sims 3, boy what a different experience from the Sims 4 and hey it runs good now! But this isn't a comparison thread, its a goodbye for now...to the Sims 4. And it wasn't easy...

Has anybody else done this and found it difficult but somehow...relieving too?

Welcome to The Sims 3! 🥳

Don't forget to visit The Sims 3 section of this forum for any questions you may have or ideas! There's lots to do!

• TerritimeTerritime Posts: 3 New Member
    > @TOLKIEN said:

>
    > Beyond that I recently reinstalled the Sims 3, boy what a different experience from the Sims 4 and hey it runs good now! But this isn't a comparison thread, its a goodbye for now...to the Sims 4. And it wasn't easy...
    >
    > Has anybody else done this and found it difficult but somehow...relieving too?

Tolkien,

I am ready to go back to Sims3, as well. However, when I tried to reinstall it, I just get error messages. I have reached out to tech support twice, without any real help. Like you, I like an open world with the ability to create my own story and engage without restriction. I've enjoyed Sims 4 too, but I realize now all the features I gave up in the switch. Best wishes to you!
  • wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
    i think it is healthy to do something new after a bit so i totally get it ...hope you enjoy the sims three...i would play it again too but i have windows 10 and i don't think i can download them to this os ..sims 3 can be downloaded via origin but again i doubt it would play on windows 10 so maybe i will have to drag out an older pc ..lol but sims 3 was an awesome series for the sims ..enjoy and have lots of fun
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    edited September 2020
    While I can respect your decision, I don't understand why you are limiting yourself with such rigid expectations. Life is a compromise, why should TS4 be any different?

I've only been playing since March, and I"ve created scenarios that the devs never imagined. All it takes is for one to ask the question "what if?"--it all starts from there, and you might be surprised at what you can create

LOL after six years I can tell you that yes you can create whatever story you want and if the Sims 4 is your first sims game I totally can understand how it can feel...like freedom to tell a story - and there is. But if you've played previous games you'll quickly understand what I'm talking about, but regardless thats not a knock against hte Sims 4 - I'm just ready for a "tool" to tell them thats less stressful as a director.

Its great that your enjoying it!
    Welcome to The Sims 3! 🥳
    Don't forget to visit The Sims 3 section of this forum for any questions you may have or ideas! There's lots to do!

Oh thanks but I'm not new to the Sims 3, just havent played it in three or four years.
    Territime wrote: »
    I am ready to go back to Sims3, as well. However, when I tried to reinstall it, I just get error messages.

Not sure the details but I'd leave a post on the Sims 3 forums, you might get an answer there (more than likely). which brings me to...
    wickichick wrote: »
    i don't think i can download them to this os ..sims 3 can be downloaded via origin but again i doubt it would play on windows 10 so maybe i will have to drag out an older pc ..lol but sims 3 was an awesome series for the sims ..enjoy and have lots of fun

Sims 3 plays fine on windows 10 which is what I use, my rig played the Sims 4 and witcher 3 in 4K, so its pretty current hardware too.

They are planning to release a 64bit update sometime before the end of the year for the mac version and it seems like the Win10 version will get it too although its been delayed a few times. Regardless Sims 3 runs fine on windows 10.
    i think it is healthy to do something new after a bit so i totally get it ...hope you enjoy the sims three...i would play it again too but i have windows 10 and i don't think i can download them to this os ..sims 3 can be downloaded via origin but again i doubt it would play on windows 10 so maybe i will have to drag out an older pc ..lol but sims 3 was an awesome series for the sims ..enjoy and have lots of fun

Ive played it on windows 10.
    edited September 2020
    I haven't done it, because Sims 4 is my fav of the bunch (funnily enough also because I'm a storyteller, but clearly we tell our stories in a different way, which is a-okay haha), but I hope you have a blast playing sims 3 and still stick around the forums sometimes! And also I can totally relate to the feeling, just with other games or activities, not Sims 4 haha. It's def a bit of a breath of fresh air.

PS: Your username just reminded me that it's Bilbo and Frodo's bday today. Yeah that was random and Off topic haha! But your feeling can be related to Bilbo giving up the ring... yes I'm a Tolkien nerd :p And assuming you know what I'm talking about cuz of you username...

First off yes, happy birthday dear Frodo and I morn the passing of Bilbo and the actor who played him. May you find brighter shores dear Bilbo.

Per story telling yes, I like to have a LOT of control and direct everything myself. With the previous games I could usually put the sims into a room for example and start some interactions than let them just do there thing. With the sims 4 I have to constantly direct them over and over, make sure they don''t have random emotional break downs and well it just goes off my script so far...its no longer the same story I wanted.

Hence why I need to control them so closely. Of course when I say make stories I also mean this in the sense of screenshots and videos I shoot in-game to tell a story later. I know for a lot of people its just "telling" a story in-game as they play rather than crafting a story you can view after view photos.

And not a lot of people play like that.
    TOLKIEN wrote: »

First off yes, happy birthday dear Frodo and I morn the passing of Bilbo and the actor who played him. Maybe you find brigher shores.

Per story telling yes, I like to have a LOT of control and direct everything myself. With the previous games I could usually put the sims into a room for example and start some interactions than let them just do there thing. With the sims 4 I have to constantly direct them over and over, make sure they don''t have random emotional break downs and well it just goes off my script so far...its no longer the same story I wanted.

Hence why I need to control them so closely. Of course when I saw make stories I also mean this in the sense of screenshots and videos I shoot in-game. I know for a lot of people its just "telling" a story in-game as they play rather than crafting a story you can view after view photos.

And not a lot of people play like that.

Ah yes. I don't really take screenshots. Very rarely at all. That makes sense. I more write novels in Microsoft Word and then use my sims to recreate them after.
    I just noticed another thread about unlocking special lots and thats another great example of...things that felt so restrictive in the Sims 4. To me the sims shouldnt' be like that but more than anything it feels like their trying to craft a game world that you play in rather than can edit however you want yourself and don't let you use things that are right there.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I’ve done the same thing myself, following the trend of so many players sharing their experience doing the same. I figured I’d try it again after maining TS2 the longest, and gosh, what a great idea it was!

There are plenty of things that I miss about The Sims 4. Someone here put it best — it’s a compromise, just like all things in life. The thing is, the cons of TS4 simply outweigh the pros for me and my style of playing. Whenever I go into live mode, I feel the depth of gameplay is that of a Facebook game. I feel like I am constantly fighting the game to have fun with it. And I feel like its staple features such as emotions just are a nuisance; rather than guide me into new avenues to take my game, they’re controlling me into doing things that are just not fun. I am very attached to the unique appearances of my TS4 Sims, but their personalities are but imagination, as the game makes them dumb as rocks. Bottom line, I stopped buying packs for TS4 long ago and barely played it anymore so the space was freed for a game better deserving on my computer.

I’ve already spent lots of time back in The Sims 3 and have been having sooo much fun. Advancing my Sim from rags to riches with fun opportunities and events going on in the open world, vacationing in the beautiful, vast world of Isla Paradiso on a houseboat, making wine in France, exploring REAL tombs, horses, etc. I have so much to do, so much to play with, and I barely scratch the surface every time I play. When I get bored, which won’t be for awhile, I have a whole backlog of games that I can play before returning back to TS2/TS3. The Sims 4 is off my radar.

I will be MORE than happy to pay and support a Sims game which truly succeeds The Sims 2 and 3 when Maxis tries again. It’s not 4 for me. Maybe it’s Paralives, who knows.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited September 2020
    Okay...

So, what other video games tickle your fancy these days? Or, are you taking a break from gaming completely?
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,371 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    And I feel like its staple features such as emotions just are a nuisance; rather than guide me into new avenues to take my game, they’re controlling me into doing things that are just not fun.

I have found that I can mostly ignore the emotions. Sim won't do stuff when they are bored or uncomfortable but otherwise, most emotions can be ignored. You don't have to do anything you don't want to.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    I have played the game since 2014 so I am pretty tired of it. I try to remember the good times that I had with it though like when I played Get to Work or Get Famous, I don't really uninstall a game when I am done with it, I keep it on my computer so I can boot it up whenever I feel like it and play around in CAS. I stopped buying packs after Eco Lifestyle as well.

It feels like the sims4 is in a bad place right now where Maxis expects people to just keep buying and playing packs and they now either want us to keep doing it for over six years, or leave, they can get new players to start playing their game and buy their packs.

I don't think I will go back to the sims3, sims4 is good enough for me now if I just want something in the background while I watch YouTube or Twitch, but I have started playing other games instead. It's an exciting time right now if you play other games.

They are not life simulators, but they contain much more gameplay than what a six year old game is offering me now.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I also uninstalled it, for the umpteenth time over the years, when CK3 came out. I haven’t missed it.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    I am really just curious because I read it one the forums so many times: when people post they uninstall the game even though they may get back to it one day, or that they uninstalled and installed the game several times, is that like an emotional thing or to free up disk space? I have at least 4 games on my device that I haven't played in over a year (some longer), but I keep them because I know I will get back to them some day.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited September 2020
    I am really just curious because I read it one the forums so many times: when people post they uninstall the game even though they may get back to it one day, or that they uninstalled and installed the game several times, is that like an emotional thing or to free up disk space? I have at least 4 games on my device that I haven't played in over a year (some longer), but I keep them because I know I will get back to them some day.

Disk space. I’ve got an SSD as my primary drive so it has a smaller capacity (1 TB) than a HDD would for the same price. If I had a HDD as my gaming drive it would be huge and I’d never have to worry, but the speed compromise isn’t worth it.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,805 Member
    Wishing you less stress and more fun as you rediscover the Sims 3. 🙂
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    So_Money wrote: »

Disk space. I’ve got an SSD as my primary drive so it has a smaller capacity (1 TB) than a HDD would for the same price. If I had a HDD as my gaming drive it would be huge and I’d never have to worry, but the speed compromise isn’t worth it.

That's understandable. I thought it's maybe like when you're dating someone and you realize it's not going anywhere, so you break up. And you're a little sad, but also relieved. Then you see them again a year later and they have a new haircut or a new jacket and look kinda cute and it's hard to remember what was really that wrong with them in the first place. So you start dating again. But the 2nd time around everything comes rushing back really fast, the 10 reasons why they are the worst, plus 3 new ones and who the heck holds their knife like that?! So you break up again. And you're a little sad, but also relieved ...
    So I thought it was like that, over and over again.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I am on the verge of doing that as I still have Sims 3 installed and might reinstall Sims 2. Sims 4 for me has too much controversy and does not interest me as it lacks what I need to have fun. The new pack decreases creativity for me and have that use once and toss.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member

I have windows 10 and it installed just fine on my PC, I don't remember having to do anything special for it other than I did have to set it up so it would recognize my graphics card and screen resolution, but I think that was it.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    @TOLKIEN There is no 64-bit version of Sims 3 coming. Only Mac at this time since macOS Catalina update won't run 32-bit programs anymore. That's not to say Sims 3 will never get a 64-bit version but it's definitely not in the works right now despite what any Sims channel or thread might say... EA has only confirmed Mac. Don't hold your breath on this one.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited September 2020
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    @TOLKIEN There is no 64-bit version of Sims 3 coming. Only Mac at this time since macOS Catalina update won't run 32-bit programs anymore. That's not to say Sims 3 will never get a 64-bit version but it's definitely not in the works right now despite what any Sims channel or thread might say... EA has only confirmed Mac. Don't hold your breath on this one.

I wonder what will happen when Windows will eventually stop supporting 32-bit programs.